Elizabeth Weir/John Sheppard Appreciation/Ship/Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melyanna
    Oh, stop raining on my parade. You're right, of course, but I'll take it as I will.

Oh, I think so too. The final straw for Elizabeth and this reality was whether or not she really knew John Sheppard. And I wouldn't say that Elizabeth/Simon fared all that well. We can guess from Intruder that what we saw in Home was a lot more idyllic than what their relationship was actually like. And I'd still like to contend that Elizabeth was projecting some down-to-earth qualities on her doctor boyfriend, because no one works on his own Maserati.
    I agree there. "Home" was one of the eps that made me a full time shipper. She realized once and for all that she was in a false reality after Simon said Sheppard took over Atlantis and it was under military control. She knew that wasn't right and knew Sheppard better than that. I also found that interesting because Sheppard's actions were moe important to her than Simon's.

Also, this is my translation of information appearing at Stargate Project. Any mistakes are my own.

Spoiler:
    Dr. Elizabeth Weir wakes in the intensive care unit of a hospital, which is located just outside the city limits of Washington, D. C.. There she learns that she has been in a life-threatening condition for days. Her memories of the Stargate program and the Atlantis expedition are only fantasies.

Her memory shut itself off after a tragic accident and created its own world. However, a short time later, Weir begins to sense that something is not right with her, or with this world. It turns out that the Earth on which she finds herself is only a reality that an alien adversary is using to enter her memory. The intent of it: to acquire control over Weir's memory and so to reach the secrets of the Atlantis expedition...

Mel's note: Also relevant to this is that Richard Dean Anderson will be appearing in the episode as Jack O'Neill, though what capacity the character will be in is unclear.
    Very interesting. Sounds like there will be plenty of opportunity in that ep
    Spoiler:
    for Torri to show off her acting chops. Not to mention Jack! I'm having Spygate flashbacks.

I'm intriugued by "Real World" followed closely by "Irresistable". I don't how fabulous the episode will be, but I'm very curious to see the sitcom-esque directing behind it. (as reported by Gateworld) S3 is shaping nicely. I just hope T[TB can deliver the promise contained in these scenarios.

Later,
    Royal

Signature By Amber Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
      You and I sometimes stroll through the same neighborhood. ITA with your statement. Actor ___ has the exact same expression on his face he usually has when posing with fans. Hey, MM, where's that great pic from the London con? I think he likes you. *having a sarcasm day*
      And I'll go out on a limb and say noone on this thread has ever squeed over a picture of ___ and ___ when they are away from the show. It's one of my pet peeves as you can probably guess. If anyone here ever does that I will personally give you a good verbal spanking. But I know you never would. Because it is just wrong, wrong, wrong.
      It really irritates me when people do that, squee over pictures of the actors, and they say they know the difference, but it's just that they look "oh, so cute". Actually i think a couple of people on another thread got pissed at me for pooping in their squee party when i mentioned that it made me uncomfortable to see them doing that (squeeing over a picture of the actors).
      I have to accept that their reaction turned me off the thread, and the ship a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
        It really irritates me when people do that, squee over pictures of the actors, and they say they know the difference, but it's just that they look "oh, so cute". Actually i think a couple of people on another thread got pissed at me for pooping in their squee party when i mentioned that it made me uncomfortable to see them doing that (squeeing over a picture of the actors).
        I have to accept that their reaction turned me off the thread, and the ship a little.
        hehehe well it's ok to squee over pictures of actors in general; it's not ok to squee because you supposedly see an attraction/chemistry between the actors that play the characters in your ship....

Comment

Originally posted by Erised
          hehehe well it's ok to squee over pictures of actors in general; it's not ok to squee because you supposedly see an attraction/chemistry between the actors that play the characters in your ship....
          In this case it was a picture of the actors kissing off camera (at a con i think), some people acted pissy at me because of what i said. To be honest it kind off turned me off the ship altogether, weird, ever since then my enthusiasm for that ship has been dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
            In this case it was a picture of the actors kissing off camera (at a con i think), some people acted pissy at me because of what i said. To be honest it kind off turned me off the ship altogether, weird, ever since then my enthusiasm for that ship has been dying.
            I know I saw those pics all actors do that. .. it doesn't mean anything... GRrr...
            anyway sparky... yaaay! Maybe we will get more previews soon... lucky Sam/Jack peeps. I wish Atlantis previews talked about ships

Comment

I know I saw those pics all actors do that. .. it doesn't mean anything... GRrr...
              anyway sparky... yaaay! Maybe we will get more previews soon... lucky Sam/Jack peeps. I wish Atlantis previews talked about ships
              *LOL*, Yeah, go Sparky, my only OTP, i'm definitely destined to ship for only one pairing at the time .
              Do you think there is any chance of getting S/W promo pics this season?. Personally i don't think so, but i wish we would.

Comment

Originally posted by Luz
                *LOL*, Yeah, go Sparky, my only OTP, i'm definitely destined to ship for only one pairing at the time .
                Do you think there is any chance of getting S/W promo pics this season?. Personally i don't think so, but i wish we would.
                hmm I really don't know... there were season 1 ones, but sparky wasn't even intended then... and season one promo shots aren't the best ones either *huggles season 2 promo shots*. I hope we will get sparky ones though.. if not, then I hope it wil be tons of pics anyway, just to satisfy us!

I have a question, since I'm such a noob..

Were all the promo pictures released on the same day last year??

Comment

Originally posted by Melyanna
                  Oh, stop raining on my parade. You're right, of course, but I'll take it as I will.

Oh, I think so too. The final straw for Elizabeth and this reality was whether or not she really knew John Sheppard. And I wouldn't say that Elizabeth/Simon fared all that well. We can guess from Intruder that what we saw in Home was a lot more idyllic than what their relationship was actually like. And I'd still like to contend that Elizabeth was projecting some down-to-earth qualities on her doctor boyfriend, because no one works on his own Maserati.
                  I was thinking about this statement. I wonder if this is what is drawing her to John. His down-to-earthness. I mean, he loves ferris wheels, football, Johnny Cash, he gets her gifts... Compare this to Simon. I doubt Simon had ever ben on a ferris wheel in his adult life, probably thinks football is barberic, and has his radio permanently on classical.

Spoiler:
                  Valenship banner by OXNatashaOX

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                    I get irritated when fans take photos of the "real" stars and discuss "chemistry" between them IRL, AND the characters they portray. Its not the same, and comes across as someone who can't distinguish reality from fantasy.

Sometimes they put disclaimers up. ."oh, I don't mean them IRL"! Well, if you don't, then don't post a real life pic - put up a pic of them from the show! *headdesks too*
                    It's cool if people us con/promo pics for fan art, IMO. But I agree with you FP, it wouldn't exactly make sense using a picture of ____ and ______ as themselves and not of the characters they portray to discuss chemistry. You're shipping characters not actors.

*goes back into lurkdom*

Comment

hmm I really don't know... there were season 1 ones, but sparky wasn't even intended then... and season one promo shots aren't the best ones either *huggles season 2 promo shots*. I hope we will get sparky ones though.. if not, then I hope it wil be tons of pics anyway, just to satisfy us!

I have a question, since I'm such a noob..

*LOL*, it's so weird to 'hear' you refering to yourself as a newbie . I remember we had some with the group in their uniforms, and later we had the ones of them in civies. But i'm not so sure, I remember we had them by the end of may.

Comment

Liz: John, what is this "real life" they are discussing?

John: I'm not sure, but I'm starting to feel like I'm living in some old Stargate SG1 episode!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Red
                          The anti-shippers don't want ship shoved down their throats. I've said before and will repeat myself. I think a slow development of Sparky will silence the critics to some extent. At least the ones without their own agenda.
                          To be honest I'm with the anti-shippers on that one. I hate being told what to think about characters on screen with obvious 'ship' moments (a la cave in rising, stick fight in HZ) and (in my opinion) clumsy writing that pushes people together regardless of the most important aspect of any screen pairing - the thing everyone has been talking about: chemistry. The best on-screen chemistry happens without anything specifically being written to encourage it. Which I think is what we have with sparky. And also why, as Southern Red said, it is the most inoffensive ship in terms of shoving it down the viewers throats.

The ship I tend to be drawn into is all about the intellect and the banter as well as the hotness on screen. Anyone out there also a Josh/Donna West Wing shipper? Sparky has the whole package - the meeting of minds, the good looks, the verbal flirting and the physical chemistry.

Again, it's perception. And sometimes what you want to see. The huge numbers of Sparky believers tell us that our perception is not just a mass hallucination.
                          Hmm, mass hallucination.... could be something in the mints perhaps?
                          I guess this is where my signature should go, right?

Visit my LJ?

Comment

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch
                            I agree there. "Home" was one of the eps that made me a full time shipper. She realized once and for all that she was in a false reality after Simon said Sheppard took over Atlantis and it was under military control. She knew that wasn't right and knew Sheppard better than that. I also found that interesting because Sheppard's actions were moe important to her than Simon's.
                            Actually, I've been rather amused that her first clue that something was wrong was when Simon kissed her. I'm really not sure why that makes me giggle, but it does.

Originally posted by Royal_Nonesuch
                            Very interesting. Sounds like there will be plenty of opportunity in that ep
                            Spoiler:
                            for Torri to show off her acting chops. Not to mention Jack! I'm having Spygate flashbacks.
                            Hah, I was thinking the same thing. The Real World speculation to follow.
                            Spoiler:
                            I think it's possible that Simon may show up in this episode (it'd make sense, at any rate), but I had a passing thought earlier today that it would just be hilarious if Jack were to show up as her boyfriend or husband in the fantasy world. And probably only to me, and only for selfish reasons.

Now all we need is an episode where Cadman and Lorne are working together, and we'll have the whole Spygate thing going.
                            Mirror, Mirror: Melyanna's multi-fandom fic site
                            Last update: 14 April 2006
                            Melyanna's Multimedia
                            Last update: 15 February 2006

Comment

No. I'm pretty sure we got the group shots and some of the singles first, and then the rest of the singles and a few of the smaller group pictures were released later.

On a related note, I just looked through the archive of my LiveJournal, and it seems we had the initial pictures from Siege III in mid-April last year. So it's possible that we'll have pictures from No Man's Land in the next couple weeks.
                              Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Originally posted by mirafemina
                                To be honest I'm with the anti-shippers on that one. I hate being told what to think about characters on screen with obvious 'ship' moments (a la cave in rising, stick fight in HZ) and (in my opinion) clumsy writing that pushes people together regardless of the most important aspect of any screen pairing - the thing everyone has been talking about: chemistry. The best on-screen chemistry happens without anything specifically being written to encourage it. Which I think is what we have with sparky. And also why, as Southern Red said, it is the most inoffensive ship in terms of shoving it down the viewers throats.

The ship I tend to be drawn into is all about the intellect and the banter as well as the hotness on screen. Anyone out there also a Josh/Donna West Wing shipper? Sparky has the whole package - the meeting of minds, the good looks, the verbal flirting and the physical chemistry.
                                Pretty much sums up what I find to be the most important thing in any relationship, real or fictional. Can the characters communicate? We've seen a lot of evidence that says Sheppard and Weir can and do communicate.

I don't think you can plan a ship from the beginning unless you do a ton of screen tests with your actors, which most television series just don't have the time for. A large part of it has to come from the actors, and that's something you just can't plan in advance. To use the example of WW (hey, look, someone other than me brought it up! ), I'm pretty sure they were intending to do something with Josh and Mandy in Season 1, but that really never clicked. Instead, he had this nice vibe with Donna, whose role in the pilot was so small that her agent actually dropped her, thinking the part wasn't going to go anywhere. I'm not actually a Josh/Donna shipper (it could have gone either way and I wouldn't have minded), but that's a good example of a plan not working, and TPTB going in another direction.
                                Melyanna's Multimedia

Comment

Working...
                                X