Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, having "as much screen time as Sheppard" isn't really a good thing, IMO, since both of them are somewhat... overbearing. As others have said, it's basically the "Shep and McKay Show". Everything seems to revolve around one or the other. Or both.

I like McKay, but I'd kinda like to see some of the other characters, too. Ronon and Teyla are supposed to be main cast, but they are routinely shoved into the B-plot or even the C-plot (when there is one).

And don't get me started on Dr. "Main cast even though I'm hardly there" Beckett.

Comment

okay I agree.. him and Sheppard get a lot of screen time.. separate and together.. and as much as I love to laugh at them, I think there is a limit to how much "funny" interaction involving "yelling" at each other for the purpose of comedy... they should have.

Everyone who is on the starting credits should have about equal screen time IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
        Actually, having "as much screen time as Sheppard" isn't really a good thing, IMO, since both of them are somewhat... overbearing. As others have said, it's basically the "Shep and McKay Show". Everything seems to revolve around one or the other. Or both.

I like McKay, but I'd kinda like to see some of the other characters, too. Ronon and Teyla are supposed to be main cast, but they are routinely shoved into the B-plot or even the C-plot (when there is one).

And don't get me started on Dr. "Main cast even though I'm hardly there" Beckett.
        Is that Kavan in your avatar?

I agree with you that too much of those two may not necessarily be a good thing. I don't find either overbearing though but I admit that I would love to see a bit more of the other characters. However.... hmm, that may or may not happen - though someone let something spoilery slip about Ronon in S3 and his background so I'm hoping they do something meaningful and good ...

Ah the good Carson... he is sort of not there much for a main cast, huh?

Comment

Yep, it's Kavan. He's particularly lickable in that pic. And I never said I thought it likely that things would change away from the Shep & McKay Show. In fact, I KNOW it won't, not with TPTB being who and what they are. But in terms of wishful thinking, if I had my druthers...

Comment

Originally posted by crisneelosty
            Dont you think taht mckay is the bviggest loser in stargate, its a complete embarrasment that the USAF let him into the stargate team, dont you agree, ps trudge is allergic to water
            He's a brilliant character, perfectly brought to life by David Hewlett. Obviously he's made quite an impression on you--which I'm sure it would please Mr. Hewlett to know.

As for Rodney....he risks his life on a daily basis for others and for the advancement of science. He's scared and still he forges ahead. He's a fictional character worthy of admiration.

You should hope to be so brave. Judging by your vituperative posts, maybe not so much. If you genuinely think that about the character, you haven't been really watching Atlantis at all.

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
              You should hope to be so brave. Judging by your vituperative posts, maybe not so much. If you genuinely think that about the character, you haven't been really watching Atlantis at all.
              Ya know, I love McKay, but at least I can understand how others might not be so appreciative and I respect their opinions enough to not be insulting and condescend to them. Ye gods, the arrogance! To assume that naturally the person must not have been watching Atlantis just because they hate a character that YOU like? How about cutting folks a bit of slack and acknowledging that people can see the same thing and still interpret it differently.

Comment

Ya know, I love McKay, but at least I can understand how others might not be so appreciative and I respect their opinions enough to not be insulting and condescend to them. Ye gods, the arrogance! To assume that naturally the person must not have been watching Atlantis just because they hate a character that YOU like? How about cutting folks a bit of slack and acknowledging that people can see the same thing and still interpret it differently.
                To call a character like McKay a "loser" indicates to me that the name caller has not watched the show very carefully. You can hate McKay or love him, but when you voice an opinion of a character that is not consistent with the way he's presented, then YES, I will call you up on your opinion and not cut you any slack. Have you been watching the show? McKay is cranky, opinionated, stubborn, petty, and not good with people generally (though he is improving in that regard lately), but for heaven's sake, he's not a loser. That's the most ludicrous statement I've ever heard. And I'm surprised anyone who's even seen one episode would support this statement.

Comment

I guess I watch for that reason, not for the other characters, Teyla, Carson aside, the others don't offer anything to me and I don't think more screen time will change that.
                  You can hate McKay or love him, but when you voice an opinion of a character that is not consistent with the way he's presented, then YES, I will call you up on your opinion and not cut you any slack. Have you been watching the show? McKay is cranky, opinionated, stubborn, petty, and not good with people generally (though he is improving in that regard lately), but for heaven's sake, he's not a loser. That's the most ludicrous statement I've ever heard. And I'm surprised anyone who's even seen one episode would support this statement.
                  Couldn't agree more. I will say it the original poster was not expressing an opinion they made a statement and wanted people who agree with them...they wanted no discussion (the title of this thread was changed ).

I would have thought making it an Anti-thread would have been better, but apparently we are meant to discuss him here, well I thought that was what the discussion thread was for...

Comment

And that's your opinion. But just because YOU think it's outrageous and impossible doesn't make it true. There was another thread floating around that called Ronon a jerk and even though I don't think there's anything to support it, I tried to refute the poster's claims with facts, not insults.

What's the point of attacking someone, anyway? If YOU think it's wrong and YOU disagree then YOU should try explaining WHY you see it a different way rather than dismissing someone entirely.

Or, if you're SO convinced that this person couldn't POSSIBLY have anything of value to say and is so OBVIOUSLY mistaken that even a blind person could see it... why post at all? If it's so obvious, everyone can see it, right? So why give it further attention by replying?

If the original post was intended to be hostile, it achieved its goal through you by getting you to rise to the bait and attack the poster instead of the opinion.

Comment

Just a reminder that personal attacks are NOT allowed. If you disagree with the opinion of a member then you can most definitely state why BUT it will be in a polite and respectful manner

Also keep in mind that just as you (general you) think YOUR opinion is the correct one so does the next person and theirs just might be the exact opposite of yours ... That is what discussion is all about finding out about those opinions and learning...NOT resorting to petty personal attacks just because you don't like what the other person said. That is not tolerated here at GW
                      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar
                        Just a reminder that personal attacks are NOT allowed. If you disagree with the opinion of a member then you can most definitely state why BUT it will be in a polite and respectful manner
                        Yes but respect is a two way street.

I am sorry if my opinion of the original posters motives were out of line. Thought I was stating the obvious and not attacking anyone. Seems to be a very fine line on GW. *attacking is a very harsh word*
                        Originally posted by Shadowmaat
                        YOU think it's outrageous
                        Hmm, interesting you are putting words in my mouth...I don't think any of this is outrageous, I think it is mostly silly and a waste of a perfectly good thread that should have been title Anti-McKay.

Comment

Originally posted by crisneelosty
                          Dont you think taht mckay is the bviggest loser in stargate, its a complete embarrasment that the USAF let him into the stargate team, dont you agree, ps trudge is allergic to water
                          Biggest loser? No. (that's a bit strong)

Irritating? Oh yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                            Biggest loser? No. (that's a bit strong)

Irritating? Oh yeah!
                            I don't find him irritating I find him a breath of fresh air from the usual, placating personalities on the show. He is in no way a loser. To say he is a loser is to say he has failed in all his ventures in life, maybe his relationships are rubbish, but then so are Sheppard's, Elizabeth's and most of SG-1's. He wouldn't be where he is if he was a loser.

Comment

McKay is hilarious. Yes, he's annoying, but that's what I find so funny about him. I think the only way I'll start to not like him is if the writers put him in a situation where he's working with Carter on a problem and he solves it and she doesn't. I don't like the idea of McKay being smarter than Carter. Carter is smarter both in booksmarts and wisdom, end of discussion. But just to end this on a positive note, yeah, I love McKay.
                              http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/land...nchan2&s=59146
                              Shop through Big Crumbs for your online purchases to receive a little bit of your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                                Hmm, interesting you are putting words in my mouth...I don't think any of this is outrageous, I think it is mostly silly and a waste of a perfectly good thread that should have been title Anti-McKay.
                                I wasn't directing my post specifically at you. However, "outrageous" is another word for "ludicrous" and smushy DID use that term in reference to the original poster (and, one assumes, anyone else who dares call McKay a loser).

You can hate McKay or love him, but when you voice an opinion of a character that is not consistent with the way he's presented, then YES, I will call you up on your opinion and not cut you any slack.
                                And how do you (generally speaking) decide what's consistent? If I watch a scene where McKay is speaking out about something and deem it whining and someone else watches the same scene and decides he's "voicing valid concerns", who is right? It's a matter of opinion, especially with something as vague as "loser".

If someone said, "McKay is a murderer", it could be contested because murder is a factual event, but there are as many definitions of "loser" as there are of "cool", and it's all in the eye of the beholder. However, it doesn't change the fact that just because YOU (generally speaking) don't think he's a loser doesn't mean that other people aren't free to think that and it's entirely possible that- to them- this loser-ness is consistent.

Frankly, I can think of a couple instances where McKay IS a loser. I've heard "loser" used to refer to someone who is unsuccessful with women and from what I've seen, McKay is pretty much a loser where women are concerned.

And if you consider some of the things he's done (the events in Trinity spring to mind), well, dunno if that makes him a loser, per se, but it was pretty damn arrogant and dangerous of him. In my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X