Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis Mythology?? Real World Atlantis...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I have heard and researched about the Lost City of Atlantis, It was probally an Island city of the ancient Minoin Civilization located in the Mediterian. The Minions had colonies and city's all over the Mediterian and probally traded with the Egyptions. That Island which they beleive was Atlantis had some kind of volcanic or natural explosion wich was huge enough to cover almost the whole world with dust for days and decimated the island and probally decimated the Minion military leaving them open for attack. The Island explosion is a fact(Calafornia redwoods shows evidence of a large explosion covering that far dating back to that timeframe). Scientist believe the Minoins controlled and lived througout the Mediterian which is as big as a small continent, thus creating the continent and 20 million people part of the story. Also the Minoins were very advanced for their time. Most of this is from Aegean: Lost City of Atlantis, a special I saw on the History Channel. Bad spelling, I know.

Comment

Well, I doubt that (see the title of this thread) you can really refer what Plato mentioned in his Dialogues as "real-world". Quite a significant amount of what has been told in the Greek literature has not been or could not be verified by archaelogy. If e.g. even reports that about a place that is so close to Mykenae and predates the Greek literature only by 400 years cannot be verified by the actual Trojan excavations in Turkey - and this about "the greatest war in the Greek history", what reason should we have to trust Plato's Timaeus and Critias about something that predates Greek by probably > 1000 years blindly?

Comment

POSSIBL SPOILERS FOR Rising mixed in

I have heard many, many stories about Atlantis and I have a slight interest about listening and reading Atlantis theories (one of the reasons I like SGA so much). From what I've heard of Plato's account, he picked the story of Atlantis up from an Egyptian priest, where it was passed down orally for many, many generations. Obviously, this gives the story a lot of fiction because a story that is told by word of mouth is never told the same way twice.

Anyhow, from what I have heard, Plato claimed the city/continent sank/dissapeared about 10,000 years before his time, which would place it about 12,400 years before ours. Many people believe this figure is mostly incorrect, but it might make sense with the SGA universe.

Now, he also claimed it was divided into three rings/circles, with a harbor around the center, which contained a tower/obelisk/maybe even a mountain. Yes, he also mentioned that it was very advanced and had about 20 million people. Now, from a real world sense, this is highly scepticle unless ti was a continent. For SGA, this figure could possibly work, Atlantis did look pretty big in the premiere.

As far as where Atlantis was, Plato claimed that it lay "beyond the pillars of Herakles (or commonly reffered to in the latin alphabet as Hercules)" which is believed to be the Straight of Gibraltar. There is some debate as to whether or not Plato got the Straight of Gibraltar confused with some other rock formation. It's prety well established that the pillars of Herakles is the Straight of Gibraltar, but maybe Plato made a mistake and Atlantis did not lie beyond the pillars of Herakles but a different rock formation.

I've heard many claims as to where Atlatnis might have been or ended up. All of the range from the island of Thera (the small Minoan civilization volcano island that blew up in the time of the Old Testiment), to the Canary island, to the Carribean, to Indonesia, to both North and South America, Iceland, and yes Antarctica.

In real-life, the island of Thera fits in some ways, but not others. Yes, because it was a volcano, there was definately a tall thing in the center of the island, which could be the tower he was reffering to. Also, the island was circular (obviously), but there was also a harbor that came in towards the center of the island which also ifts the description. The Minoans were advanced for the time, we believe they had the first form of ancient greek writing and taught the rest of the greek penninsula how to write. They also had some basic multistory buildings with running cold and hot water. The hot water came from the thermal springs of the active volcano. Eventually, the volcano blew it's top in a major way. The island is but a shadowy crater of it's former self. Some people believe that the fire and brimstone that supposedly rained down when Moses was trying to free his people from the Pharoh of Egypt, came from the volcanic explosion of Thera.

Unfortunately, the timing is way off as well as the location and the amount of people who lived there. Some attribute this to the story of Atlantis being corrupted over the generations, who knows.

As far as Antarctica is concerned, well, it does like beyond the pillars of Herakles (Straight of Gibraltar). As someone else mentioned, if you do flip north and south, Antarctica does kind of fit the location of where Atlantis should be, based on Plato's account. There is not great harbor or tower/mountain in/near the center, but maybe one time there was, especially since the Ancient outpost was in the middle of Antarctica and the city of Atlantis sat over it. Also, the great harbor could be a space harbor, not a sea harbor. In addition, we're not 100% sure what Antarctica looked like before it was coverred with ice.

Anyway, that's my input on the subject. The real life myths of Atlantis can fit into the SGA universe, so let's see where they take us.

Comment

Pretty much anywhere you could think of, someone has placed Atlantis there. There are also many other lost cities or lands in legends from all over the world: Ys, Lyonesse, Hamaz, so I wonder how many aspects from these legends SGA can incorporate.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualLSD
            I've heard many claims as to where Atlantis might have been or ended up. All of the range from the island of Thera (the small Minoan civilization volcano island that blew up in the time of the Old Testiment), to the Canary island, to the Carribean, to Indonesia, to both North and South America, Iceland, and yes Antarctica.
            Which theory places Atlantis in North America? I haven't heard of that one.
            Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
              Which theory places Atlantis in North America? I haven't heard of that one.

Hehe, VirtualLSD, I like that. Anyway, as Lugal said, think of a place, and someone has probably claimed that it was Atlantis at some point. I don't know of who exaclty said North America, but I do remember something along those lines. I believe it was focused on Greenland and Canada, but I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                The sunken city of China, was actually a vanishing city, and it was called Shangri-La. We talked about that one.
                Uhh. Shangri-Law...isn't that a buddhist thing? They say it "lies north." Of course when you're in Tibet...all that's north are mountains.

Comment

I think the real Atlantis, is right in the middle of the ocean, half way between N. America and Europe.

I wonder why they never mentioned Lemuria...

Comment

I'm going with Thera.

Comment

I think I'm sticking with Antarctica for now, but the South American argument was good, too.

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                      Hehe, VirtualLSD, I like that.
                      Sorry, I couldn't resist . I think of that everytime I see your name.
                      Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

What about the arguement that puts it right between N. America and Europe? If you haven't noticed, they've never done any deep sea stuff in that area. Doesn't that kind of hint at the possibilty of it being there? Not to mention, if you look at the continents, they dont' quite fit.

Comment

These Atlantis theories are pretty fascinating? Does anyone have any more?

Comment

Originally posted by Metonic
                            It is possible that he knew of Atlantis but... I belive htis is what happened.

Great plague, Ancients leave our galaxy to escape it.
                            Thousands or millions of years later Ra found Earth.
                            Hundreds or thousands of years later the Ancients returned to Earth after being forced into a corner by the Wraith, suprised that they werent where their stargate was they discovered Gou'alds and started the rebellion eventually they buried the gate but soon after the plague followed them and killed off many of them. Those who escaped the plague were most likely in the British Islands as some one else has stated the scottish Scienctist and Oniel being Irish or Scottish of some sort, in anycase the Asgaurd were the gods of the area I believe which is probably why the Ancients went to this area and the asgaurd assisted them and allowed them to live, then some decided to live out their lifes as "humans" and others acended. Thats my theory if I wasnt so tired Id right it better with mroe detail.
                            I think the Ancients returned to Earth way before Ra came here. If they had returned to find Goa'uld, they could have wiped them out with their advanced tech. The Ancients that returned most likely were here a while and over the years, for whatever reason, blended into human society and spread their genes among us. They lost their advanced tech and culture by mingling with the normal peeps.

Atlantis, the myth, was supposed to be in the Atlantic ocean, hence the name Atlantis. Some theorize it was in the Mediterreanean sea, but mostly it was supposed to be a mini continent or island city in the middle of the Atlantic between the Americas and Europe, possibly going as far south as near northern africa.

Atlantis was supposed to sink, not be flooded. The City had great tech and culture. Supposedly the Bermuda Triangle is related to the city somehow, and the structures off Bimini, sorta near the Triangle and over going toward florida, are vestiges of the city.

Some of the theories say this took place way back, before the pyramids of Egypt and South America. The similarities between South American cultures and Egyptian cultures, mostly the pyramids and glyphs, was due to the fact that Atlantean survivors were able to go both east and west; they seeded both cultures.

Comment

Check out these sites:

http://www.parascope.com/en/bermuda2.htm

http://www.biminiundersea.com/atlantis.htm

http://www.crystalinks.com/atlantiscollins.html

http://www.crystalinks.com/atlantisare.html (cool link to possible underwater pyramids)

http://www.crystalinks.com/atlantisasher.html

http://www.greatdreams.com/bermuda.htm (possible real stargate)

http://www.atlantisrising.com/issue18/18bermuda.html

http://www.haunteddoghouse.com/The_Bermuda_Tr.html

I know this is a lot of info, but if you're interested in the myth, these might shed some light. It's possible that this area of Atlantis was the last to sink or something. It sure is interesting!

Comment

the theory i've heard and has merit is that it is located on coastal plains off the shore of cuba. the ice melted or whatever and the oceans rose a hundred feet or so and thus sunk atlantis, and if you head out the straits of gibraltor or the hecules things the currents will take you there just like they took chris columbus in 1492
                                Jack:"Oh I don't know I just can't imagine cute little furry things making big powerful weapons"
                                Jonas:"I don't even know what they look like"
                                Jack:"Furling, sounds cute and fuzzy to me"
                                --Paradise Lost 615
                                Thor: "We can only hope this is the last footwear to fall"
                                --Unnatural Selection 612
                                Jack: I'm Larry, this is (points to Sam) Moe, and of course everybody's favorite (referring to Daniel) Curly.
                                --Seth 302

"Nu ani Anquiatas" - "We are the ancients"

Comment

Working...
                                X