Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlantis Mythology?? Real World Atlantis...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
    POSSIBL SPOILERS FOR Rising mixed in

As far as where Atlantis was, Plato claimed that it lay "beyond the pillars of Herakles (or commonly reffered to in the latin alphabet as Hercules)" which is believed to be the Straight of Gibraltar. There is some debate as to whether or not Plato got the Straight of Gibraltar confused with some other rock formation. It's prety well established that the pillars of Herakles is the Straight of Gibraltar, but maybe Plato made a mistake and Atlantis did not lie beyond the pillars of Herakles but a different rock formation.

Maybe the Pillars of Herakles was the Stargate ( you never know)

I persoanlly beleve the thery that if Atlantis is real it was Antartica to me it seems the only logical choose.

Comment

I thought they found it in the atlantic ocean from a special i saw on tv and that it was supposed to be a volcanic island, which as many know underwater volcanos form islands and move around forming chains with each eruption, and the older ones tend to submerge or be worn away to the point of where they are underwater again. It sank around the ice age because there was less water and when all that ice melted .... well there was more like in Water World and the ocean level in the atlantic was just to high. I have seen photos of it. Things look worn and broken. Even things like rooms and houses and bathrooms made of brick.

Comment

Also for the fictional version (if both are not fictional) remember that Atlantis was mobile. It could likely move anywhere on the planet either by air or space travel, or like a boat more than likely.

Comment

so does anyone else find this stuff very interesting??? its amazing......read all the info on the links above.....they all make very valid points......hope we find the lost city of atlantis some day.....would be great to be able to put all these myths to rest.....does anyone else have any more info??? ilove reading about myths and so forth.....
          "Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance"

Proverbs 1:5

-Mike

Comment

Im no Atlantis expert, and I won't pretend to be... but; in both Egypt and South America there are pyramid structures, completely cut off from each other yet they share almost identical structures. Maybe there was a land bridge, that was where Atlantis was situated.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
              Im no Atlantis expert, and I won't pretend to be... but; in both Egypt and South America there are pyramid structures, completely cut off from each other yet they share almost identical structures. Maybe there was a land bridge, that was where Atlantis was situated.
              They really don't. I'm hardly an expert, but from what I understand the similarities end at the basic pyramid shape. Egyptian pyramids tended to be tombs with everything inside. South American pyramids tended to be temples where cerimonies took place outside. They share a similar overall shape because it was functional, not because of any great exchange of culture.

Comment

All of these theories are interesting, but let's face it; there is no real world Atlantis. The only source of any information about Atlantis is Plato. He mentioned it once, as a small part of a morality play. Also, with regards to Lemuria, that's just plain fantasy. Lemuria was a concept invented to explain the existance of Lemurs on an island before the idea of plate techtonics was worked out. It was a rationalization for how Lemurs could exist in two separate areas that didn't fit well with evolution. Once plate techtonics were discovered the rationalization was no longer needed, and the idea was dropped...until someone dug the idea up again and invted some weird society with creatures that died out when they discovered sex.

Comment

If the city is indeed sunk..how come we can just go down and look for ourselfs? Or i guess it just disapeared after that many years..i wish they had more info on this..its very interesting.
                  When I wake up..I think of you Steve.
                  I miss you.
                  Please...please come back one day.

(Steve the Wraith from Season 1)

Comment

Ireland Named As Latest Atlantis
                    A geographer has claimed that Atlantis, first described by the Greek philosopher Plato as sinking under a tidal wave 12,000 years ago, was actually Ireland.
                    By Guardian Newspapers, 8/13/2004

For years the only link between Ireland and the world's most famous sunken lost city was the Irish-American actor Patrick Duffy, who played the Man from Atlantis in the cult 70s television show.

But now a geographer has claimed that Atlantis, first described by the Greek philosopher Plato as sinking under a tidal wave 12,000 years ago, was actually Ireland.

Ulf Erlingsson, from Uppsala University in Sweden, arrived in Ireland this week to face a tidal wave of criticism from local academics who said his theory was bizarre.

On a visit to the Boyne Valley's ancient burial sites, some of the biggest and oldest in Europe, which he claims are remnants of the lost utopian civilisation, he said: "I expect to have my knockers. But we must assume that I am right until others can prove I am wrong."

In a book to be published next month, Dr Erlingsson claims Plato's descriptions of Atlantis match Ireland exactly.

"Just like Atlantis, Ireland is 300 miles long, 200 miles wide, and widest over the middle," he said. Plato's Atlan-tis had a central plain surrounded by mountains.

"I've looked at geographical data and of the 50 largest islands there is only one that has a plain in the middle - Ireland."

Dr Erlingsson believes the idea that Atlantis sank came from the fate of Dogger Bank, an isolated shoal in the North Sea, which was sunk by a huge flood wave around 6100BC.

He says burial sites at Newgrange and Knowth, north of Dublin, which predate the pyramids, are the lost temples of Atlantis. The Hill of Tara in County Meath, the ancient seat of the high kings of Ireland, was the centre of Atlantis.

Atlantis has been "located" at thousands of different sites, including under the Sahara desert, near the Azores islands, in the Aegean, at the bottom of the Atlantic, and, two months ago, in southern Spain. Some think it was located only in Plato's imagination.

Mark Hennessy, a geo-grapher from Trinity College Dublin, said the theory was "extremely far-fetched".

Colin Breen, a lecturer in maritime archaeology at the University of Ulster, said: "We know what the seabed around Ireland looks like. If there was a lost city there, we would know about it."

Ulf Strohmayer, the head of geography at University College Galway, described it as wishful thinking to satisfy longing for a past utopia.
                    © Guardian Newspapers Limited

Have fun lads

Comment

I dont pretend to know a lot about oceanography, the mythology behind Atlantis or continental drift, but lets just go out on a limb here and imagine that Atlantis was in the middle of the ocean.

There are many trenches in the ocean, the only one i can remember is the deepest one, the Mariana(sp?) Trench. What if Atlantis had suffered an "incident" like plato tells, and sank into a trench. Over thousands of years it could have been burried by rocks or even crushed.

Well thats my "idea".

All of these theories are interesting, but let's face it; there is no real world Atlantis. The only source of any information about Atlantis is Plato.
                      But look at what Atlantis represents to our society. It is basically the perfect world, and it is a part of us, even if it is only a myth. Why should we stop believing in it just becasue there is no evidence to support its existance in the real world besides text. For all we know, Atlantis really did fly off the planet to a new galaxy.

Comment

i think your mythology is a little amatuerish. though i could be wrong. i heard from an English teacher friend that the presumed location of Atlantis was somewhere around the Black Sea or in that general area. Of course, it is most likely to never have existed at all or at least have been not the underwater world legend makes it out to be.

but i could be wrong.
                        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

In a book I read Atlantis was speculated to have been near the Azores Plateau and the mountains -some of which can still be seen today above water- were enormously tall mountains near the city of atlantis. The book speculates that the azores plateau was once a large island in the middle of the atlantic ocean upon which Atlantis was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
                            In Regards to the location of Atlantis speculation is around the South China Sea (at least from what I have read). Obviously not anywhere near Antartica. Although some people believe it was in Europe...However maybe continental shift could have played a role in moving the Ancient outpost in Stargate: Atlantis...
                            As far as where scientist and other believers of Atlantis are concerned it has been placed in sites all over the world. Even now there are some who believe it was in South America.

While finding the idea of Atlantis interesting, I take it all with a grain of salt. One person I talked with even went as far as suggesting Plato made the whole thing up but as people like the idea of Utopia it was embrassed as the truth. I have been trying to keep up with the theories of Atlantis' location for over thirty years. Sometimes I start to believe it is only a story.

Makes a great story though with SGA.
                            Last edited by Atlantis1; 01 January 2005, 01:31 PM.
                            "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
                            'Eleanor Roosevelt'
                            Individuality is freedom lived.
                            'Janis Joplin'

Comment

Well don't forget why the Atlantic is named the way it is But that was only suspicion.

Comment

The Atlantis story is I think part of the Myth of creation by lots of different civilizations which spoke of the first mound of earth poking up from the sea.

But I also believe it was a real place - not necessarily underwater but it existed as some kind of civilization that was no doubt very prosperous.

I was watching something on the Discovery channel about it. These guys were digging all this treasure from some sea (I forgot which) and they were coming up with their own thories about it in the process. They said that they were probably Pheonicians or something like that and they built great cities and came up with many of the first technologies like horse drawn wagons and windmills, they were expert farmers and all that stuff. I heard from an English teacher friend of mine, (she has a PH-d in Medeival english, really hard to get), and she said that they were supposed to be a very tall people, like giants.

I'm really interested in the truth about Atlantis. I always liked Man from Atlantis but I still would like to know the truth. Maybe I'll get into archeology as a hobby.
                                TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Working...
                                X