No announcement yet.

The Superman Movie Series News/Trailers & General Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel Comics has tons of iconic stories for its characters. DC just seems to be rehashing the origin stories of its characters ad nausaeum. For Supes, the only real iconic story is his death. For Bats, it's 'Knightfall' or 'Death in the Family'/the death of the second Robin. So it's either how the character started or how it 'ends'. That's a bit limiting but, as Dark Knight showed us, it's possible to take great creative license with an origin story.
    Last edited by nx01a; 09 February 2010, 07:41 PM.
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Something I never understood all the dislike for Superman Returns, I loved the film even more than Batman Begins (The Dark Knight is a different story), which is odd as I loved Batman and never thought Superman was very interesting, because of his superior strength to just about anything. I liked the darker tone of Superman Returns and Brandon Routh as Supes, although I do wish Singer did X-Men 3 instead of SR....

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
        Marvel Comics has tons of iconic stories for its characters. DC just seems to be rehashing the origin stories of its characters ad nausaeum. For Supes, the only real iconic story is his death. For Bats, it's 'Knightfall' or 'Death in the Family'/the death of the second Robin. So it's either how the character started or how it 'ends'. That's a bit limiting but, as Dark Knight showed us, it's possible to take great creative lisence with an origin story.
        Dark Knight wasn't an origin story. Batman Begins was an origin story.

As far as I know, my fav Spidey movie (II) wasn't based on any comic story. And right now, a lot of the Marvel movies coming out are origin stories based pretty heavily on the comics. I guess I feel like the Marvel movies are capturing the iconic nature of these characters much better than the DC counterparts. That said, still gotta see GL, and the two Batman movies are better than any Marvel production. Marvel, IMO, just was quantity over quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post

As far as I know, my fav Spidey movie (II) wasn't based on any comic story. And right now, a lot of the Marvel movies coming out are origin stories based pretty heavily on the comics. I guess I feel like the Marvel movies are capturing the iconic nature of these characters much better than the DC counterparts. That said, still gotta see GL, and the two Batman movies are better than any Marvel production. Marvel, IMO, just was quantity over quality.
          Spider-Man 2 was somewhat loosely based on the Stan Lee storyline "Spider-Man No More". So far the only Marvel movies we had really accurate to the comics was Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, done by Marvel Studios themselves....alot of the Fox based stuff slaughtered the source material and had some messed up writing. Spider-Man 3 was great IMO, but without Sony's meddling it could of been better.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            Spider-Man 2 was somewhat loosely based on the Stan Lee storyline "Spider-Man No More". So far the only Marvel movies we had really accurate to the comics was Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, done by Marvel Studios themselves....alot of the Fox based stuff slaughtered the source material and had some messed up writing. Spider-Man 3 was great IMO, but without Sony's meddling it could of been better.
            Are you talking about the aspect of the movie where Parker starts losing his Spider powers? Oddly enough, that was the only part of the movie that I didn't like, and I never really enjoyed that comic story (never read it, they adapted it to the cartoon series, and I saw that). As for Spider-man 3, I agree it could have been better, especially with Venom as a villain.

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
              Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are basically Batman: Year One, showing us the early days of the characters and how they became what they 'are' today. First encounters with Gordon and Scarecrow and the Joker, etc. There's the distinct feeling that this is a character at the beginning of his career, not the seasoned Batman of, say, The Animated Series.
              I just mean that Batman's origin and Superman's origin have been told already. Going back to the drawing board completely or trying to recapture a bit of the magic of when the movies were actually good [Superman 1 and 2] is what DC's doing. It worked with Bats but it failed with Supes.
              The Dark Knight stands as a wonderful movie period, whether comic or not. Marvel's closest has been Ironman, and that was very good, too.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are basically Batman: Year One, showing us the early days of the characters and how they became what they 'are' today. First encounters with Gordon and Scarecrow and the Joker, etc. There's the distinct feeling that this is a character at the beginning of his career, not the seasoned Batman of, say, The Animated Series.
                I just mean that Batman's origin and Superman's origin have been told already. Going back to the drawing board completely or trying to recapture a bit of the magic of when the movies were actually good [Superman 1 and 2] is what DC's doing. It worked with Bats but it failed with Supes.
                The Dark Knight stands as a wonderful movie period, whether comic or not. Marvel's closest has been Ironman, and that was very good, too.
                Call me crazy, but I loved The Incredible Hulk more than both Iron Man and The Dark Knight....

Comment

You do mean... Hulk: Reboot, right? The first one was horrid! It was good and had great Avengers continuity, but Banner's no Stark.
                  Hulk = good reboot.
                  Superman Returns = so-so 1/2 reboot.
                  sigpic
                  More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I actually enjoyed Superman Returns quite a bit. I would have loved another film directly following where that one left off.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                      I actually enjoyed Superman Returns quite a bit. I would have loved another film directly following where that one left off.
                      I'd want a sequel to carry on from Returns left off, because I hate reboots and I don't think something should be rebooted because $400 million wasn't enough. If they want to do something in a new direction, well that is their choice but at the same time they don't need to completely redo everything. I think Incredible Hulk would have worked just as well with Eric Bana and Jennifer Connolly without the need to recast, I still think they just dumbed down the reboot and added more action, and I think adding more action to a Superman movie would easily keep people happy.

I think a decade or so is a good time to wait for a reboot, not long enough to sort out any ongoing legal issues.

sigpic

Comment

Many people [yours truly included] were turned off by the 'emo stalker dead-beat dad' Superman, not to mention Lois basically stringing poor Cyclo... Perry Jr. along when we all know she loves Supes. That and the relative lack of action.
                        In a sequel to Returns, I'd love to see Kal take the kid and teach him about the Kryptonian half of his heritage. Maybe a Superboy type thing. The kid's already hurling pianos around and he's killed one guy. It's really about time for Supes to stand up and take the kid under his wing before something worse happens. Supes had Martha and Jonathan to raise him, and they raised him right. Lois and Perry Jr... Fail. Having an older Superboy could also lead nicely into a 'Death of Superman'/'Supermen' movie[s]. Yeah, I really want to see that on the screen!
                        sigpic
                        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I've never liked Lois when it comes to Superman in the movies. It wasn't too bad in Lois and Clark and I enjoyed their relationship in the Animated Series. She is such a fantard, it makes all relationships she have with Clark suspicious because once she learns the truth, she's all for being with Clark but not before.

In Superman Returns, it's worse. She's had his kid, yet with another man and you can tell that she's not gotten married simply because of Superman despite him being gone for 5 years. Plus she gets all pissy about the guy leaving and Superman being the emo pussy he is, has to be all nice to her. Also, lets not forget "Why The World Doesn't Need Superman" as her lashing out at him after being gone for a few years without giving her a phonecall halfway between Earth and Kryton to give her an update.

sigpic

Comment

GW filters don't do that word? Wow.
                            When Lois likes Clark first, then it makes sense. Like in the comics today where Clark isn't the docile, bumbling idiot, they fall in love first, THEN he reveals he's Superman and that ironically makes her rethink everything for a bit. Then they get together. Best of both worlds.
                            Last edited by nx01a; 11 February 2010, 08:11 PM.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I'd rather she likes Clark first than being a complete idiot about Superman. It's then worse for Superman because what if he wanted to go bang Wonder Woman for a bit? Can't have that, Lois would get jealous. That is what annoyed me the most, even in Superman II after he saves that kid, he flies off and Lois gets upset he never stayed to talk. As if he's got the time to stand around and chat with her when the world could need saving.

sigpic

Comment

Lois can certainly be small and petty and selfish, but most of the humanity Superman saves is small and petty and selfish. If he finds more good in the rest of random people to run around saving their butts all the time, then he certainly sees more good in Lois than he faults. He loves humans in general and he certainly loves her.
                                sigpic
                                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                                X