Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you asking for the cheat, or do you mean a special trick? I can see how, if you're tone deaf, it would drive you crazy. My best suggestion is to get a little tape recorder and when the real note is given tape it. Then go to the rocket ship and play them back.

Comment

Originally posted by David
      Are you asking for the cheat, or do you mean a special trick? I can see how, if you're tone deaf, it would drive you crazy. My best suggestion is to get a little tape recorder and when the real note is given tape it. Then go to the rocket ship and play them back.
      You mean there is a cheat?! Um, maybe I'll try your other suggestion first--I'd like to *try* to get through it with as little help as possible.

I'm really enjoying Riven. I find I LOVE to wander around the islands a bit, poking around here and there before I actually try to solve anything. Exiles was a bit frustrating at first, but I found there are surprises around every corner, so I'm enjoying it a bit more.

Now, I have to buy Uru and Myst IV & V. *sigh* I will have absolutely NO life (right, like I have one now!).

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Riven is a wonderfully rich environment, don't get me wrong, but with accessing all the islands simultaneously you really can get lost in "eye candy" and lose your focus on the mission.

With Exile, you have the main island and 3 missions. When you complete an objective, you come back, and move on to the next one. With Riven, it's easy to wander aimlessly.

--But not an ugly place to be wandering aimlessly, either.

I could never finish Riven without cheating. The topographic map with the little marbles was always uber-confusing to me.

Anyone play/finish End of Ages?

Comment

I'm really glad I got the three games at once. When I get frustrated with one game I can escape to the next. Right now, I find it's an all-consuming experience. I ponder the games at odd moments at work or in the car, and then play them when I get home. I'm trying to limit myself somewhat (those dishes aren't going to do themselves!), but the various worlds of Myst are quite soothing.

Oh! In Exiles, is there a way to access the books that are supposedly in our possession? I found that the only time I can read them is when I first get them--then I can't get at them to read them later. Am I doing something wrong? I don't want to restart the game everytime I need to read the book.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Comment

Which books in our possession? It's been some time since I played this game.

If I recall correctly Atrus's journal was accessible at the bottom center of the screen.

Comment

Which books in our possession? It's been some time since I played this game.

If I recall correctly Atrus's journal was accessible at the bottom center of the screen.
              Yes, Artrus's journal and the journal that was in the greenhouse (I think it's a greenhouse). I can see them at the bottom of the screen, but my cursor won't go down that far. It stops at the edge of the picture. I tried a couple of the F-keys, but so far I haven't found a way to skip to them.

Comment

There is a button you can push to break out of the letterbox. When you push it your mouse stops moving you around in the environment and you have access to the screen, including a special jewel later on. I'm sure the answer is in your instruction manual.

I stopped playing Revelation about 9 months ago. I bought End of Ages but am not going to play it until I get this game figured out, hopefully later this summer. Just not enough time, alas.

Comment

There is a button you can push to break out of the letterbox. When you push it your mouse stops moving you around in the environment and you have access to the screen, including a special jewel later on. I'm sure the answer is in your instruction manual.

I stopped playing Revelation about 9 months ago. I bought End of Ages but am not going to play it until I get this game figured out, hopefully later this summer. Just not enough time, alas.
                  Thanks for the info.

And I feel your pain!

ETA: Oh! Which game so far have you liked the best? I don't think I'm far enough in to any of them yet to know which one I prefer.

Comment

I enjoyed III for the puzzles, but I'm tied between Riven and IV for graphics. Atrus and Catherine's room at night, with the candles flickering, is hard to beat, but I really like the grassland looks of Riven. Granted, it's not 360 movement, but you can't beat that paintbrush.

You?

Comment

I haven't played any of the games anywhere near long enough for a definitive answer, but I think right now I'm leaning towards Riven. I'm hoping to get Myst IV, V and the complete Uru in the next few weeks.

I've finally made a little progress in Exiles, but I'm just not very far. I'm trying to figure out the viewers with the colored lights on top, but so far--nothing. In Riven, I've made it to all of the islands except Plateau and the Prison island. And in Myst, I'm still in the Channelwood Age. What can I say? I'm not a very good video game player. At least I'm enjoying myself!

Comment

I must say that I hold the storyline of each game high enough in importance to the whole of the gameplay that I cannot proceed to a subsequent game without completing, in entirety, the one that came before. Granted, there are not enough nuances in the Myst story as a whole to justify waiting for the next chapter, but I feel that I, as a "friend" of Atrus, have an obligation to see how the story unfolds -- in sequence.

I own End of Ages. Have for months. But I won't even stick it in my PC until I've nailed Revelation.

Comment

I think if I waited until I completed each game, I'd never progress beyond the first one. I'm not a gamer and I don't have great logical or puzzle solving prowess, so it takes me a while (a LONG while). And I do NOT like looking up the answer--although, I will take a hint once in a while.

I think what I like best about these games, is the looseness. I mean, I love to just wander around the islands and familiarize myself with everything. And the look of them is just so nice. Of course, eventually I'll get bored and get on with the solving, but sometimes it seems secondary. I'm surprised at how many times I'm convinced that there is nothing left to do and I close the game in frustration and then the next time I open it, lo and behold, I find something more.

In Exiles, I just got into the Voltaic Age [edit: NOT the Voltaic Age--it's the Am...Am...well, you know--I forget how to spell it). Oh my! The visuals are incredible! I thought I needed to figure out the light pole viewer thingies before I could go to any of the Ages, but I guess not. I wonder what they're for (don't tell me!)?

It's nice that you don't have to worry about losing health or lives and having to restart the game. I like the open-ended quality of Myst very much.
                          Last edited by warmbeachbrat; 25 June 2006, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Gak! I feel like such an idiot!

I accidentally hit something (some key or series of keys) on my laptop and now everything (font, icons, etc.) is much bigger. AND now it won't let me play Exiles--it says it won't work and I need to use software instead of whatever it is that the default postion is that I usually use. I don't know what I did or how to fix it. Can anyone help me?

Comment

Never mind--I figured it out.

Comment

The light poles are key to allowing you to access only one particular age. (Not going to tell you how to use them, though). Each age has a puzzle in order to access it -- let alone the puzzles in the ages themselves. You have to play with plants to access the "Tree," age, etc.

I really want to get back to Revelation but, alas, GateWorld 2.0 is at the top of my summer priority list.

Comment

Working...
                                X