Space: Above and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    I really enjoyed this show when I first watched it oh so many years ago. What I hated about it was the damn ending. Never in all my life can I remember a show ending with such a cliffhanger that just drives you nuts thinking about it. Even if they didn't want to give it a second season, not giving it a conclusion was just the worst thing they could have done.
    Amen to that.

Comment

Never in all my life can I remember a show ending with such a cliffhanger that just drives you nuts thinking about it.
      Odyssey 5.

Comment

^ Tru Dat. I was seriously about to throw something at my screen after that ending.

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this show. I've only just finished episode 8 (the one where everyone starts going crazy because of their fears).
        Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
        Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
        Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
        --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Oreo View Post
          Odyssey 5.
          I never watched past the fourth or fifth episode so I haven't come face to face with that cliffhanger.

sigpic

Comment

Geez, yeah! I'm always getting sucked into shows(on DVD) that were cancelled after 1 or 2 seasons. I just finished Odyssey 5. Of course, I knew there was no resolution but it's still a disappointment(Wow...I really love O5!!!!!). Same with Space: Above and Beyond...although I think Odyssey 5 is far superior.

Anyway, both shows had a lot of potential and it's really a shame that so many quality programs get cancelled. And there are so many other shows of questionable quality that go for years...shows that I never hear about. They seem to be sitcoms mainly.

Comment

I really enjoyed this show when I first watched it oh so many years ago. What I hated about it was the damn ending. Never in all my life can I remember a show ending with such a cliffhanger that just drives you nuts thinking about it. Even if they didn't want to give it a second season, not giving it a conclusion was just the worst thing they could have done.
              Glen Morgan and James Wong wrote the last episode that way after learning the show was going to be cancelled. If there was a reprieve, the 2nd season would of had a new female lead along with West, Hawks, and McQueen (with an AI leg...lol). The Morgan & Wong Online website is long gone, but they commented about the ending and they don't consider the last episode a "true cliffhanger", although fans of SAAB have hope that Vansen, Damphousse, and Wang somehow survived and written a lot of fanfic about it.
              It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

oh wow, i just finished the last episode a few days ago and im still trying to get over it

Spoiler:
                it was waaaay to sad. just about everyone died - vansen and damphousse crashed on that planet and we have no idea if they survived. wang sacrificed himself to save the others. mcqueen got his leg blown off but we still dont know if he even survived that. wow, this show really needed another season. stupid fox =\

at least nathan got kylen back. and we learned a ton about the chigs.
                Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Y'know, with the news (a bit old now) that Rob Thomas might be resurrecting Cupid, it makes me wonder if the same could be done with SAAB. It'd have to be a new cast, of course, and they'd have to start over from scratch, but what do you think? Would a new version of SAAB be a viable idea? And would you be willing to watch it as long as Morgan & Wong were still at the helm? As much as I love and treasure the show, I'd still be a bit curious to see how an updated and revamped version would work. ...And if they could pull it off without everyone screaming that they were copying BSG.

Comment

Doubt SAAB will come back in series form. It was a pretty dark series, but there wasn't a lot of hope in the series (winning the war) and more a story about the relationships between the members of the squad. To be honest, a few members of the squad should have been killed off or seriously injured and replaced to improve cast chemistry.

We already know that Aero-Tech invaded the Chigs space even though they knew they were there and that started the war. So where can they go with that story?

The Silicates are like the Cylons, and nobody knows how many there are and it appears they do not make new or replacement models...just keep and share memories and experiences.

Would be better of they made a live action series of "Roughnecks - The Starship Troopers Chronicles"...a 1999 animated series that ran for 40 episodes. The stories were too adult for Sony to continue the series (was shown out of order and was aired in the morning children hour slot). At least the war flows back and forth and the stories and relationships get more complicated as the overall arc progresses.
                    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Dark is in, these days.

*shrug* You're right, there's zero chance of SAAB ever coming back in any form, but that's no reason not to speculate anyway and try to enjoy the possibilities.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                        What a great show. Another in a long list of shows that ended long before they should have.
                        I wonder if they could do an animated movie on this ?

Comment

Oh man, I looooooooved this show. When I found out that it had been cancelled, I just wailed. It was one of the most intense and gut-wrenching pieces of TV I have ever seen. It still is. Stories of loss and fear, hatred, prejudice and self-sacrifice - (she sighs heavily, sore at heart...)

I loved the cast and I am still a huge fan of so many of them. My absolute fave, James Morrison, has stayed busy since the show was cut off at the knee, just like his character McQueen. Most of the other characters got work after the show in eps of The X-Files, cuz the guys who made SAAB were the same ones who did TXF. Morgan and Wang, wasn't it?

The stories were so rich, and even though some people didn't like the female lead, thought she was kinda wooden and, untalented, I liked her. haven't seen much of her since then, though. The oriental character (can't remember his character name just off the top of my head as I type this), is a semi-regular on L&OVU these days. The rest of the cast was very good, but the guest stars were just incredible for the most part.

What I thought was really brilliant about this show was the theme of prejudice against the artificially created humans, like McQueen and one of the soldiers in his command (Hawkes?), the nipple-necks, as they called them, and how they were struggling to find their place in the world as well as their place in a military society. Fighting not only the chigs and the Silicates, but all the natural humans that hated them.

Didn't know it ws out on DVD. I will have to look for it.

ladyjanus

Comment

like this series a lot

I need to get the dvd

Comment

The DVDs can be found for liek $20.

Comment

I've dug this thread up because I finished the last ep today. I loved this show! So many good themes, well written stories and so much potential... wasted. Thanks FOX! For this and for Firefly.

Comment

Working...
                                X