Space: Above and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
    Like I said on the other thread, I have limited memory of the series because I didn’t originally watch it when it first aired and then saw it maybe once or twice through during its rotation on SciFi. (To be interpreted as I can’t remember specifics unless you remind me.) I liked the main characters. Hawkes the most I guess. What mostly sticks out in my mind is Col. McQueen and his hard ass Marine attitude, yet he still cared for the squadron members under it all. Kind of Jack-like I guess. Maybe I think of him first because of the name McQueen and immediately think Steve McQueen. Maybe Shepard on SGA liked Steve McQueen and that’s why he named Steve Steve. Maybe Steve’s captivity reminded him of scenes in The Great Escape. (My favorite McQueen movie.) Okay back on topic.

I remember that one with by Duchovny. Creepy eyes. And now that y'all remind me, I agree that the kull warriors remind me of the Chigs. Someone on the SG-1 production must have liked S:AaB also.

Damn them for canceling it. I’m with Shadow in that the episode that really does stick with me is the season finally. It was a powerful cliffhanger with them left drifting in space. Didn’t West find his girlfriend only then to sacrifice himself and drift away in the incapacitated part of the ship with one of the other that was injured or was that Hawkes? And didn’t somebody die? I told you my memory was bad. They really need to put this on DVD so that when I eventually buy a DVD player I can first: Buy all the seasons of SG-1 and Farscape. Then this short lived, but good while it lasted series so I can remember exactly why it was so good.

I was five when this aired in '83, IIRC, and it scarred the **** out of me at night when I went to bed for some reason, but I watched it anyway. I think it was the part when she had the alien baby and the half alien/human baby that really scarred me into thinking that alien baby was going to get me from under the bed. (That was in the mini-series and not the tv series right?) Yeah I know that's stupid now that i think about it, but I was 5 going on 6 the next year. Of course seeing that scene now gives me a good chuckle at the so sophisticated SFX. I saw it again in later years but not anytime recently, but I liked the mini series. Can't recall the tv series. Probably watched it but again I don't remember if i did or didn't. My fixation during those years was the old series "Airwolf" where the two guys flew the secret helicopter they hid in the mountain. That I do remember. It was on the night in '84 when we had to go to the hospital for the birth of my sister, and for some weird reason I remember that.
    I wasn't even born in '83, so needless to say, I saw "V" many years after it aired on TV. I saw it on the Sci-fi channel back in the 90s, like around 98 or something, and I loved it. It's sorta like Independence Day with more intrigue. Ya, the effects were sorta cheesy and the acting sucked at times, but for the most part, it wasn't that bad. V: The Final Battle was the sequel and wasn't as good. The series followed and sucked. I remember that alien baby thing and it freaked me out too. Their slitty eyes scared me too -- sorta demonic looking.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      SAaB finale discussion

Close, but not quite.
      Wang was the one left drifting off into space. A chig ship was approaching and he was firing madly at it and giving a yell that would have done Sgt. Bougus proud.

Vansen and Phousse were crashing towards the surface of the Chig nesting world, I think.

McQueen was shipped off to Earth (or somewhere), grievously wounded and missing a leg.

West was briefly reunited with his POW girfriend, who changed the message on his dogtag to read "I believe in ALL you!" before being rushed off out of the war zone.

It ended with a shattered West and Hawkes, alone, taking one least moment to sit in the team's bunkroom before removing the personal effects of their "lost" teammates in order to make room for the new recruits/transfers.

The producers, Morgan & Wong, have gone on record as saying that despite appearances, everyone LIVES.

I've always thought Stargate should end like that. Unfortunately, I don't think the show is really geared towards that kind of finale. *sigh* It would be spectacular, though...
      Ya, it would be a great way to go out. See, you are always right!

Comment

I watched most of the episodes when it was first on and like them. Too bad they canceled the series.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
          Hey, you're right, the Kulls do look a lot like the Chigs! That is so cool. Good call! Didn't the AI's have weird, cross-hair kinda pupils? Do you know more about the chigs? I wonder if there are any DVDs/Tapes available. I think it was only the one season, so there probably aren't that many episodes.
          Series aired 1995-96, and had a full complement of 22 episdoes. According to the Internet Movie Database, no vhs or dvd's are available.
          Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
          O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
          O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry
            Series aired 1995-96, and had a full complement of 22 episdoes. According to the Internet Movie Database, no vhs or dvd's are available.

Hopefully in the tv show-to-dvd mania going on these days, someone will remember this show. It's a vague memory now (although reading this thread has helped), but I do remember being very disappointed when it got cancelled, as it seems happens to most good sci-fi.

Comment

Maybe we'll have to start mailing and demanding the imidiate release of SAAB DVD's or else we'll blow something up.

Comment

Close, but not quite.
                Wang was the one left drifting off into space. A chig ship was approaching and he was firing madly at it and giving a yell that would have done Sgt. Bougus proud.

Vansen and Phousse were crashing towards the surface of the Chig nesting world, I think.

McQueen was shipped off to Earth (or somewhere), grievously wounded and missing a leg.
                Thanks for clearing that up for me. All I needed were some specifics to jog the old memory. I knew somebody was drifting somewhere. Forgot about that part about Wang firing at the Chig fighter as he drifted away. Thank you for reminding me because I can visualize that now. I guess I got that mixed up with Vansen and Damphousse drifting toward the planet together after they had to jettison their cockpit. For some reason in my fading memory of the show, I thought Vansen had bought the farm in a dogfight. Still don’t quit recall how McQueen lost the leg, though.

It ended with a shattered West and Hawkes, alone, taking one least moment to sit in the team's bunkroom before removing the personal effects of their "lost" teammates in order to make room for the new recruits/transfers.
                That was gut-wrenching to see them broken like that knowing they had to fight on without their friends. Thanks again for the reminder.

I've always thought Stargate should end like that. Unfortunately, I don't think the show is really geared towards that kind of finale. *sigh* It would be spectacular, though...
                I agree. I guess I would rather not have some …and they lived happily ever after ending. The ending to Angel, I thought, was kind of fitting after I had some time to digest it. When I initially saw it I was like WTF, but decided later yeah that’s how it should have gone down.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
                  Still don’t quit recall how McQueen lost the leg, though.
                  Kamikaze chig "ambassador" blew himself up and took out half the delegation from Earth.

I guess I would rather not have some …and they lived happily ever after ending.
                  I don't want things to end happily. I don't necessarily want them to end tragically, either, but some kind of nail-biting "AAAUUUGGH!!! WTF??!!" ending would be great.

I end all my fics in cliffhangers. Drives people nuts.

Comment

I don't want things to end happily. I don't necessarily want them to end tragically, either, but some kind of nail-biting "AAAUUUGGH!!! WTF??!!" ending would be great.
                    Yeah, I'm not suggesting they kill anybody, but something that left you with a good/tense "What's going to happen now?" feeling would be better than some totally happy, predictable ending. At least I'd rather have it for this kind of show.

Oh, and to stay OT, Space: Above and Beyond is a great show worthy of the DVD treatment.
                    IMO always implied.

Comment

Since we were talking about some other cool 90's sci-fi, I thought I'd bump this thread up since Space: Above and Beyond was my ultimate fave! I was so bummed when it was cancelled and on a cliffhanger at that! Good news for fans though, it has finally come out on DVD with a fairly decent price. Too bad they never made a continuing book series out of this show either, it would have been great!
                      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Only if they'd gotten a good author to do it. Did you read Demolition Winter? What an appallingly off piece of fiction. At least as bad as Ashley McConnell's SG-1 novels. Too bad Fandemonium didn't snatch it up. Or at least find an author who actually watched the show...

Comment

Only if they'd gotten a good author to do it. Did you read Demolition Winter?
                          Was that the book that screwed up all the characters? I remember buying the books and not liking one of them because the characters wern't acting like the characters were supposed to act, but I really don't remember much about them.

Comment

i had just recently bought the season on dvd. i liked it. i think that if it was redone now with better actors and better special effects it would be good.
                            I am JJ, the Supreme Commander of the Furling Fleet!!!!

Comment

I didn't really care for Vansen, she seemed very wooden. But I think I liked everyone else, especially Hawkes, so cute!

Comment

I remember the show I liked what I, alot of the characters names I have forgotten but I still remember the name of the ship, the Saratoga, I believe. And what I don't understand is why alot of these networks throw shows off the air.
                                STARGATE ICARUS
                                Premiering April 20, 2006
                                Website coming soon. Forum:www.colonelmoore.proboards2.com

Comment

Working...
                                X