No announcement yet.

Space: Above and Beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate to play devils advocate, but Space: Above and Beyond borrowed heavily from Starship Troopers. They were continually pounding the "War Sucks" theme into our heads every episode. Most episodes were complete downers, and even the episodes that were sort of bright and cheery ended up being a downer by the end of the episode.

I liked the show, and yes, it was canceled too soon, but I don't think it was as great as people make it out to be. Had it had another season to build, then I think it would have made all the difference in the world.
    It's too bad FOX canceled it without at least allowing the viewers to see what happened after the cliffhanger ending, but that seems to be par for the course when it comes to FOX.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I so have to see about getting ahold of this show. Just to watch the eps again, since it's been so long.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

is it out on dvd just wondering?

Comment

I remember watching, but I don't think I saw the ending, how did it end?
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by wriathlord View Post
            is it out on dvd just wondering?
            Yes it is. Came out on dvd about a year or so ago and I bought it because I needed to refresh my memory. Remember watching the show when it originally aired but that was some time ago.... The box set has no extras...just the episodes.

Great show. I enjoyed it, but then again I like dark television shows.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Anybody else remember this too-short-lived series? It was out in 95-96. For some reason it popped in my head the other day and my local Barnes and Noble had a buy 2 get one free DVD sale including box sets so I picked it up along with B5 seasons 1 and 2. I'd only seen a couple of episodes, but it's actually pretty decent.

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

I just bought this too (onsale for 19.95 at bestbuy this week).

I am having a hard time really getting into it, but Ill keep trying. It reminds me of Starship troopers without the funny.

Comment

I just finished watching the whole brief series on DVD. It took me a few episodes to get into it, but it grew on me more and more. I wouldn't say I loved it, but I liked it a lot. The series had potential but was cancelled before it had a chance.

Favorite characters were probably Wang and Hawkes.

Comment

There was a lot more they could have explored with the prejudice against tanks, etc. I thought having the drill sgt. from Full Metal Jacket was a nice touch as well in the first episode.

Thanks to ShelBel for the sigpics! SUPPORT GATEWORLD ROLEPLAY

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                      I remember watching, but I don't think I saw the ending, how did it end?
                      with a cliffie

they didn't know/got the word too late that they were cancelled

i actually watched this on Fox and have vhs tapes of the eps
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I wish I kept my tapes. I remember liking this show and trying to think about how they were going to overcome the cliffhanger....only to find out they weren't .
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I have my tapes somewhere, but I also have the DVDs they released a couple years back.

Comment

1 year of DVDs... how many eps is thats and how much does it cost?
                            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                              1 year of DVDs... how many eps is thats and how much does it cost?
                              I'd say $35-50 from "official" places, cheaper if you trust ebay. And it's the full season, which I think is 23-24 eps.

Comment

This was a great show. I was sorry to see it end.

Comment

Working...
                                X