Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the money, and the power to bring back one TV series...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
    Ooh, thanks for starting this thread. Blake's 7 please!

For those who don't know, it was a low-budget British sci fi series from the seventies (I think) and just the coolest thing ever. It rivalled original Trek for tacky cardboard sets, unbelievable aliens and dodgy acting. Those were the days.
    Don't forget the leather budget.

It ran 1978-1981.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Originally posted by Whitestar View Post
      but the problem with Star Trek was that it showed things in black and white, that is, only the Federation is represented and only their philosophy or motto is the right and only way.
      The Organians would have had something to say about that. Oh wait, they did.

Not speaking to any one individual, but I find myself boggled at how Star Trek is "remembered". I swear no one who refers to it as a standard of comparison actually saw the series.

What really put my dander up was a popular sci-fi cartoonist last year who otherwise seems knowledgeable about sci-fi but said "One of the distinctives of Star Trek is Gene Roddenberry's idealistic vision of humanity's utopian future where we've fixed all society's problems and everything's peachy".

Let's see, we have "The Corbomite Maneuver", "The Galileo Seven", "Balance of Terror", "Court Martial", "Turnabout Intruder", "Obsession", "The Ultimate Computer", "The Devil in the Dark"-- Oh boy, those Federation people are peachy all right.

Isn't it that Spock and McCoy are peachy and everyone else is screwed up?

Originally posted by Whitestar
      Plus, the characters are on Star Trek were not very well developed, with the exception of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, whereas in Blake's 7 nearly all the characters were complex individuals, each with their own agendas. TNG is also guilty of this,
      Hm, I beg to differ. Blake's 7's character complexity is the same as Star Trek's or Star Trek - The Next Generation's. However, TNG did have some actual development.

Blake's 7's big charms were the banter, and that it concerned a Federation gone bad, maybe even Star Trek's Federation. The skewed logo was probably quite deliberate.

As for the humor in Star Trek,
      Erm, yeah. I think the dialogue in this thread concerning that topic supports my assertion that some people who believe they know about a show have never seen it. "The Trouble With Tribbles" is not Star Trek. And "The Way Back" is not Blake's 7.
      Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Either Firefly or Farscape. I liked Farscape better, but I loved Firefly too and its so terribly unresolved even with Serenity . . . It'd be a tough choice for sure.

Comment

Mortal Kombat Conquest

Comment

Too tough to pick one:

Firefly
            ST ENT
            Dark Angel
            SG1
            Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Either firefly, Crusade(B5 spin off), Dark Angel, Brimstone or Odyssey 5
              Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

I would bring back Star Trek Enterprise no doubt. It was just getting good.

Comment

This is an easy answer for me: Firefly

Such a fantastic show that was poorly handled and just wasn't given the time to find its audience.

Also, why are people saying SG-1? No offense but is Ten Seasons and Movies not enough for you??
                  sigpic
                  "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                  DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

well for me it would have to be John doe, i love firefly but after serenity i hate whedon (kill my favorite charecter HMPH) still love the series but without wash it would not be the same....
                    but john doe was amazing, it had me on the edge of my seat and the cliffhanger they left it on has to be explained. if only i could find the writers and demand season two scripts (they were goign to have a season 2 but for some reason fox in its infinite stupidity decide not too)
                    -once more unto the breech dear men, once more

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                      Also, why are people saying SG-1? No offense but is Ten Seasons and Movies not enough for you??
                      No

Could have easily gone on for many more years imo. The tenth season was the best of all
                      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

If I had enough money, I would bring back Star Trek Deep Space Nine and Enterprise, or make movies with DS9, and go on with the series with Enterprise.
                        sigpic

Peter Petrelli: What do you do with something that killed you?
                        Nathan Petrelli: You could put it underneath your pillow.

Comment

I’ll bring back three since I will have invented Cold Fusion and massed produced it so I got money to spend.

Invaders (60’s remake, with 21 century F/X)
                          Firefly (not sure if its pre or post movie)
                          Time Tunnel (with the twist that they have to fix problems like the Voyager series with Jon-Erik Huxum; not ST: Voyager)
                          The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
                            No

Could have easily gone on for many more years imo. The tenth season was the best of all
                            SG-1 didn't really go 10 seasons imo. IMO:

SG-1: S1-S5

Stargate Miniseries: S6

SG-1: S7-S8.2

Stargate: Command (Miniseries): S8.3-8.4

Stargate SG-1 [Finale]: S8.5-S8.9

Stargate: Command (Miniseries): S9-S10

Stargate: Command (Movie) [Finale]: Stargate: Ark of Truth

Stargate Movie: Stargate: Continuum

It comes out to:
                            6.5 Seasons of Stargate SG-1.
                            1 Very good miniseries (S6)
                            1 Decent miniseries (S8.3-S8.4)
                            Then S9-S10, the Ori Arc.

IMO, it's hard to consider it SG-1 without Jack AND Daniel. The foundation of the show is them.
                            sigpic
                            "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                            ~David Hewlett

Comment

I have to go with SG-1 and DS9. So much more could have been done with both, I think (though who knows, I may change my tune once I've seen the back half of S10––I've been staying relatively spoiler-free and have no idea what to expect).

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by CeeKay Sheppard View Post
                                I have to go with SG-1 and DS9. So much more could have been done with both, I think (though who knows, I may change my tune once I've seen the back half of S10––I've been staying relatively spoiler-free and have no idea what to expect).
                                Oh, no you won't. While S10.5 had 2-3 questionable episodes, it's been the best half season in years. "The Shroud" is easily the best episode in 2 years.
                                sigpic
                                "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                                ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                                X