Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the money, and the power to bring back one TV series...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whitestar View Post
    Amen! I'm glad I'm not the only one who mentioned this classic sci-fi gem! And according to B7 Media Productions who owns the rights, a miniseries has been in development for several years. Paul Darrow, who played Avon was initially part of the project, but bailed out due to creative differences with B7 Media. Now, the role of Avon will be recasted and many fans, including myself are not happy about that. Nonetheless, a new actor will play Avon and the story takes place over 30 years after the final episode. For now, there is an animated series in the works, if that does well, the live action miniseries sequel will soon follow.
    Shame about Paul Darrow, he was a fab baddie. What about Jacqueline/Servalan?
    sigpic
    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
      Ooh, thanks for starting this thread. Blake's 7 please!

For those who don't know, it was a low-budget British sci fi series from the seventies (I think) and just the coolest thing ever. It rivalled original Trek for tacky cardboard sets, unbelievable aliens and dodgy acting. Those were the days.

I keep hearing about Blake's 7 ... must be something to it to have remained popular all these years. And the shows and movies from the 70's with the cheesy props were the best!

Does it ever air in the US? Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the DVD's, maybe they will soon or I'll catch it on TV sometime ...

Oh, and nice to see another Airwolf fan (yea!)

Comment

The main one would be Firefly.

after that:

Enterprise
        John Doe
        Remake (reimagine): Buck Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by MFA View Post
          I keep hearing about Blake's 7 ... must be something to it to have remained popular all these years. And the shows and movies from the 70's with the cheesy props were the best!

Does it ever air in the US? Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the DVD's, maybe they will soon or I'll catch it on TV sometime ...

Oh, and nice to see another Airwolf fan (yea!)
          It's remembered with nostalgia, but imho Blakes Seven was a pale rip off of star trek and was very poorly made. Hell the ship was made of a washing up bottle. lol

And I'll always be an Airwolf Fan

Comment

Originally posted by jmw326 View Post
            Remake (reimagine): Buck Rogers
            Ohh! I watched Buck Rogers every week back in the 1980s. I'd need to watch the original again to see if it was in need of a reboot, however.

Airwolf was another series I never missed back then. Now that would be good to see back again. I tuned out when Barry Van Dyke took over the lead role. I wouldn't fancy having Jan Michael Vincent back as Stringfellow either. Isn't he a bit messed up now, anyway?
            "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
              Ohh! I watched Buck Rogers every week back in the 1980s. I'd need to watch the original again to see if it was in need of a reboot, however.

Airwolf was another series I never missed back then. Now that would be good to see back again. I tuned out when Barry Van Dyke took over the lead role. I wouldn't fancy having Jan Michael Vincent back as Stringfellow either. Isn't he a bit messed up now, anyway?
              Apparently he's straightened himself out but after his accident his voice has changed anyway. But I doubt he would be part of any remake of the series. He rarely talks about it for all thats going around.

Comment

Originally posted by Essex View Post
                Apparently he's straightened himself out but after his accident his voice has changed anyway. But I doubt he would be part of any remake of the series. He rarely talks about it for all thats going around.
                Yeah, there's no chance of Jan-Michael Vincent coming back to Airwolf for a variety of reasons. First, is just like you said, his voice permanently changed to due a terrible car accident in 1996, leaving him with a harsh, rasping voice and broke three vertebrae, further diminished his attractiveness to film producers as an actor. In addition, he's caused a lot of problems on the set of Airwolf such as showing up drunk and forgetting his lines. The lastest rumor/news is that Jan is retired from acting and is now living in poverty and seclusion in Mississippi. Last I heard, he was taking up a new sport: skydiving. If he has truly changed his act, I congratulate him and hope he's living life to the fullest.
                Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova View Post
                  Shame about Paul Darrow, he was a fab baddie. What about Jacqueline/Servalan?
                  As of now, its unknown if Jacqueline Pearce will return, but judging by how B7 Media is doing things, my instincts tell me that its highly unlikely. Most probably the role of Servalan will be recasted as well. The only returning character is Peter Tuddenham as the voice of Orac, but that's unconfirmed for the moment, providing that he signed a contract and is in good health. I also know that there will be a new "Travis" in the form of a femme fatale type. I'm guessing that this will be Servalan's new right-hand woman. Plus, the Federation logo has been redesigned too and according to the storyline, it has reached a point of enlightenment, a utopian regime, but there is corruption on every corner and the Federation is on the brink of collapse. For more info, check out their official site:

http://www.b7media.com/
                  Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

It's remembered with nostalgia, but imho Blakes Seven was a pale rip off of star trek and was very poorly made. Hell the ship was made of a washing up bottle. lol

And I'll always be an Airwolf Fan
                    Well, the show did have a showstring budget, and the Liberator starship did look like shampoo bottle, but its writing and acting were far superior to Star Trek.
                    Last edited by Whitestar; 18 April 2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MFA View Post

Actually, I have all the episodes on VHS and if you're interested, PM me and I'll gladly make you some copies.

Comment

Well, the show did have a showstring budget, and the Liberator starship did look like shampoo bottle, but its writing and acting were far superior to Star Trek.
                        How could you say that? Star Trek was far superior and was ground breaking. Blakes 7 was no where near the calibre of T.O.S. ST:TOS Had humor, real humor. not what the Brits like to call humor.

Comment

How could you say that? Star Trek was far superior and was ground breaking. Blakes 7 was no where near the calibre of T.O.S. ST:TOS Had humor, real humor. not what the Brits like to call humor.
                          There is no doubt that Star Trek was great and groundbreaking in its own right, but the problem with Star Trek was that it showed things in black and white, that is, only the Federation is represented and only their philosophy or motto is the right and only way. There was no grey in between. Blake's 7 changed all that. Plus, the characters are on Star Trek were not very well developed, with the exception of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, whereas in Blake's 7 nearly all the characters were complex individuals, each with their own agendas. TNG is also guilty of this, but DS9 became the first Trek show to change all that. As for the humor in Star Trek, it was quite corny and the writers pretty much spoonfed the audience, as oppose to Blake's 7 where the humor was witty and subtle. I understand what you're referring to as the "typical 19th Century British humor" and I don't like that kind either, but none of that appeared on Blake's 7.

Comment

There is no doubt that Star Trek was great and groundbreaking in its own right, but the problem with Star Trek was that it showed things in black and white, that is, only the Federation is represented and only their philosophy or motto is the right and only way. There was no grey in between. Blake's 7 changed all that. Plus, the characters are on Star Trek were not very well developed, with the exception of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, whereas in Blake's 7 nearly all the characters were complex individuals, each with their own agendas. TNG is also guilty of this, but DS9 became the first Trek show to change all that. As for the humor in Star Trek, it was quite corny and the writers pretty much spoonfed the audience, as oppose to Blake's 7 where the humor was witty and subtle. I understand what you're referring to as the "typical 19th Century British humor" and I don't like that kind either, but none of that appeared on Blake's 7.
                            I'm afraid I still have to say that Blakes 7 was woefully inadaquate. Brit Scifi has never been as good as US and Canadian Scifi. I gave it a go years ago and hated it then and I love scifi.

There are only three brit scifi programmes I ever liked, two were miniseries and one was comedy. The comedy one was Red Dwarf. and the other two were Invasion Earth and The Last Train.

Comment

I'm afraid I still have to say that Blakes 7 was woefully inadaquate. Brit Scifi has never been as good as US and Canadian Scifi. I gave it a go years ago and hated it then and I love scifi.
                              I respect your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. And despite what I said about Star Trek, it doesn't mean that I like it any less. I will say that both ST and B7 had their moments of good and bad episodes.

There are only three brit scifi programmes I ever liked, two were miniseries and one was comedy. The comedy one was Red Dwarf. and the other two were Invasion Earth and The Last Train.
                              You know, I've been hearing a lot of great things about Red Dwarf and I only caught glimpses of it on TV, but I could never remember what time it aired. I intend to check it on DVD. By the way, speaking of Red Dwarf, there is a rumor going around that a feature film is in the works, but the creator is thinking of doing a spinoff movie instead. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Comment

I respect your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. But despite what I said about Star Trek, it doesn't mean that I like it any less. I will say that both ST and B7 had their moments of good and bad episodes.

You know, I've been hearing a lot of great things about Red Dwarf and I only caught glimpses of it on TV, but I could never remember what time it aired. I intend to check it on DVD. By the way, speaking of Red Dwarf, there is a rumor going around that a feature film is in the works, but the creator is thinking of doing a spinoff movie instead. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
                                Not heard anything about a movie, Not sure if Craig Charels would be able to do, Chris Barry maybe. But Red Dwarf did go down the tubes during the last couple of seasons when they bought the crew back to life.. For me the best episode ever was Backwards, where they end up on an Earth that was living life in reverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X