This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bast
    The new quantum leap is a hoax according to Bakula in a interview at startrek.com
    That sounds like the typical knee-jerk reaction of any celebrity who wasn't asked to participate in a show that he or she starred in. Sour grapes of wrath!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I am quite fond of the Friday night line up now, with SG-1/Atlantis/BSG. Makes for a pretty good evenings entertainment. And aren't they supposed to start up "The 4400" soon.

They usually manage to do a pretty good job on the mini-series. Taken was fabulous and Dune/Children of Dune was very good too.

Now if they would just take the money they're spending on the SciFi Original movies and spend it on older B scifi classics and on picking up scifi series that other networks don't give a chance, it would be great.
      sigpic

Comment

In response to LordAnubis' first post: I completely agree. Well, except for Mad, Mad House and Lexx. I thought Mad, Mad House was interesting and I loved Lexx (obviously ). But everything else you said is spot on. I remember a couple years ago when Sci-Fi played cool things. If it wasn't for the Sci-Fi channel, I never would've seen Babylon 5. But then they stopped doing actual "Sci-Fi" and switched to Fantasy. Luckily, the guy that ordered the switch isn't there any more and it appears that they're doing more "Sci-Fi" things, but the damage was still done *I'm looking at you cancellation of Farscape*.
        MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
          This one coming Saturday @ 9pm with Bruce Campbell looks like it may have some entertainment value...damn! Can't recall the name....

*shoots self in head with finger*
          *2 days later...*

"Alien Apocalypse"

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
            In response to LordAnubis' first post: I completely agree. Well, except for Mad, Mad House and Lexx. I thought Mad, Mad House was interesting and I loved Lexx (obviously ). But everything else you said is spot on. I remember a couple years ago when Sci-Fi played cool things. If it wasn't for the Sci-Fi channel, I never would've seen Babylon 5. But then they stopped doing actual "Sci-Fi" and switched to Fantasy. Luckily, the guy that ordered the switch isn't there any more and it appears that they're doing more "Sci-Fi" things, but the damage was still done *I'm looking at you cancellation of Farscape*.
            I wonder why I got red repped for this post? I got two reds for this recently. I was just telling the truth, or at best, stating my opinion.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I "think" the USA Network bought Sci-Fi about 2-3 years ago. That seems to be about the time the programming changed.

I too discovered Babylon 5 on Sci Fi (long ago) - for which I will be forever grateful. And thanks to them I was able to catch up on all the SG1 episodes. However, their daily "block" programming is awful. I was home with a sick kid recently and it was all-day "Sliders". Now, I don't mind "Sliders", but not all day.

Their "Sci-Fi Original" movies are awful. I actually watched Snakehead Terror. . and even Larva. *shudder* ..hate to admit that - but it was pure boredom. I only made it through 30 minutes of "Mansquito". There are numerous and excellent oldie moldie sci-fi movies that could be shown on this channel that wouldn't cost a fortune. I'm not sure why someone doesn't investigate older films, or series. I understand there are copyright and distribution issues but I bet a lot of good stuff is just sitting around on shelves. And don't get me started on their skanky (to borrow one of Astronomicalchick's fav words) commercials.

The only thing I really enjoy on Sci Fi these days is SG1, SGA and BSG. Yeah, I like the new BSG - didn't at first, but it has grown on me. My son really likes the "Ripleys' Believe it. . " show. . but he is 12, and I think that is the audience they are reaching for anyway.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                Okay, my posts are not always the most popular around here, hehe, but it occurred to me today...well, it's occurred to me many times in the past over the last few years, but today, it hit me strong: the Sci-fi channel needs to hire fresh staff to revive the channel before it becomes an even bigger piece of reeking poo.

When I was in elementary school and middle school, the sci-fi channel was the coolest channel on cable. I mean, I wasn't around back in the 70s and 80s when shows like Buck Rogers, Battlestar Gallactica, V, and others were on. I never saw them until they played on the sci-fi chan. I remember coming home from school and watching buck rogers followed by battlestar gallactica and then twilight zone and then ST:TOS. I mean, they played GOOD shows. They didn't overplay them. They broke them up and played cool shows on the weekends and evenings. During the day, they played old movies or other sci-fi series like Lost in Space or some weird ones from teh 60s and 70s that i never heard of like Land of Giants and some underwater one and one about witches and one about vampires.

It was really cool to see those old shows and learn about them.

What do we have now? Let's see, ALL day MOnday, they play some crap called "roar" and all day Wednesday they play SLIDERS all day, which is cool, but they play the SAME episodes over and over! It's like they only own the rights to a few episodes! waht the hell!

Even Stargate Mondays: They have played Jolinar's memories, nemesis, and other episodes to death, but never play season 3, 4, or 6!

Do I even have to mention their "original" movies? You know, things like:

- Tripping the Rift ( a piece of crap)
                - Scare tactics (ya, this scares me)
                - Crossing Over with John Edwards ("I'm sensing that someone in this room has lost a loved one or had diarrhea")
                - Boa vs. Python (Dr. McKay was actually in that!)
                - Snakehead Terror
                - Lexx

They create Farscape, which wasn't half bad, and what do they do but cancel it? To replace it with Mad, Mad, Mad House or Tripping the Rift?

Dude, whoever is the program director for Sci-fi needs to be fired in bad way.

Plus, the commercials? We're sci-fi fans, but what do they play?

1) Enzyte commercials for old guys who can't pop wood (most of us are teens/20s/30s and have no prob with this!!!)
                2) chaser for those pesky hangovers (well, heh, okay this might ok)
                3) ditech commercials (um, no...)
                4) Mickey Rooney selling Garden State life insurance
                AND...if they have an original movie or series thingy, they play a commerical for it EVERY commerical spot! EVERY commercial spot. I hate it!

If i ran sci-fi, this is what I would do:

1) stop making lame movies and series
                2) stop the all-day crap; play different shows at different times, not 20 start treks in a row
                3) invest into buying the rights for old and newer sci-fi series: planet of the apes, space 1999, b-star gallactica, buck rogers, sliders, V, V: The Final Battle, etc. Start playing these shows at night and on the weekends, or in the morning before classes.
                4) I would also play some cool movies on the weekends and on thursday nights and stuff. I loved "The Nutty Professor" with Eddie Murphy, cuz it was funnier than hell, but is it really sci-fi material? HELL NO!

They could play ALien, Aliens, Alien Resurrection, Predator, Body Snatchers, Planet of the Apes, Robocop, Terminator, whatever..but Sci-fi movies.

Anway, Sci-fi channel, you really need to do some self examination, because right now, you make me freakin' sick!

Does anyone else agree with me on this, or am I wrong YET AGAIN

What do you guys think?

Jared/Lord Anubis
                I'll to definitely agree on those issues.

But one thing i will say is that those "SciFi Original" movies really need to be... umm... original?

Let me explain:

Pythons. Pythons 2. Boa. Boa Vs. Pythons. [Insert Giant-Snake-That-Needs-To-Killed-Movie name here]. How many freaking times are these guys gonna make a movie about a Giant-Snake-That-Needs-To-Be-Killed? Personally, it got pretty old real quick after the second Giant-Snake-that-Needs-To-Be-Killed movie came out. Now it seems that SciFi makes more Giant-Snakes-That-Need-To-Be-Killed movies than there are cockroaches on this planet!
                Granted, there's some story behind each movie, but damn, they're all the freaking same stories.

Anyhoo... SciFi seems to be in need of some serious managerial re-arrangement for the better. And let's hope it happens before it's too late.

Comment

More MST3K would be pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                    GOOD:
                    SG1
                    SGA
                    New BSG
                    Cube
                    Farscape
                    Farscape Peacekeeper Wars

BAD:
                    Everything else.

All their movies suck. Except CUBE, and the stargate movie. Other than that...everything else just sucks.

Raptor Island!? What is that ****!? Its a JP rip off!!
                    i dont realy know if raptor island was a jp rip off, but ethier way it sucked(PmF)

i can tell the basic plot of every scifi original movie

people are being attacked by a:dinosaur(s), alien(s), disease(s), mutent(s), giant bug(s) or a stupid, possesd baby toy(Puppetmastervs.evil toys) people die, and the aggressor(s) is blown to piecies

these are the following character slots

hero/guy(lives and gets the girl)
                    girl(makes out with the guy at the end)
                    comic relief guy(draged away screaming and dies or head lopped off)
                    punk/drunk/coward-freaks out runs away and is crushed, eaten,or chopped in half
                    snob-impaled, eaten or somother horrible death
                    black guy-more possiblities then their are stars to die
                    religous guy-eaten or any other horribe, and gory death

and they find a way to kill the creatue, it fails, somone dies and they just blow it up and the two survivers fall in love and make out, how original
                    the only movie to sorda break the mold was deep blue sea=a black guy lives and the girl dies= THANK YOU!
                    Executive 1:Uh O! Our ratings are -9
                    Executive 2:What could be so bad to do that to the greatest network in the universe?
                    Executive1:It's gotta be that dang star-fence show
                    Executive2: I say we cancel it!
                    Executive1:OR we could make a movie so awsome, everyone will love it!
                    Executive 2: but what about what happend last time sir?
                    Executive 1: O yes,NOTE TO SELF never make a movie that has somone with a lawyer...damn vampires
                    Executive 2: How about walrus's?
                    Executive 1:GENIUS!, but for extra zing will make it possed by alien ghost cowboys. It could be in Las Vegas, with zombies
                    Executive 2:Lawyers Sir
                    Executive 1: DAMN
                    Executive 2: stereo-type canadians?
                    Executive 1: PERFECT! but were gonna need a star.
                    Executive 2: let's use an actor from Sungate
                    Executive 1:Id use the guy with bling on his head but his last name is judge, they scare me
                    Executive 2:Will just kidnap and brainwash a model..again
                    Executive 1: WE ARE GODS!

Comment

Originally posted by in circles
                      More MST3K would be pretty awesome.
                      Dumb question: What's MST3K?

Comment

i belive it is Movie Science Theatre3000
                        anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

I remember now: Mystery science Theater 3000 or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TechnoWraith
                            I remember now: Mystery science Theater 3000 or something like that.
                            That's the one.

Comment

Hey Jared -- Yes!!! I completely agree with your position here.
                              They really do play so much junk on the Sci-Fi channel now. It's horrible. I really only watch it on Fridays for Stargate SG-1/Atlantis now. Nothing else I can find on there during my free time is worth my free time.
                              Originally posted by LordAnubis
                              Plus, the commercials? We're sci-fi fans, but what do they play?
                              1) Enzyte commercials for old guys who can't pop wood (most of us are teens/20s/30s and have no prob with this!!!)
                              2) chaser for those pesky hangovers (well, heh, okay this might ok)
                              3) ditech commercials (um, no...)
                              4) Mickey Rooney selling Garden State life insurance
                              AND...if they have an original movie or series thingy, they play a commerical for it EVERY commerical spot! EVERY commercial spot. I hate it!
                              I think you forgot the Bowflex commercials. And all those creepy/freaky/random Sci-Fi Channel promos.
                              There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                                Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I "think" the USA Network bought Sci-Fi about 2-3 years ago. That seems to be about the time the programming changed.
                                USA Network has always been the parent company to Sci-Fi Channel. 2-3 years ago was about when USA Network was sold from Showtime/The Movie Channel (Parent Paramount) to NBC/Universal. Also about the same time Sci-Fi channel became Universal's dumping ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X