Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched a few episodes of Dark Shadows, i wasn't too interested, but probably because i was watching the very old ones in b/w, which took forever for something to happen.

Its probably for the best, any original show that has aired on Scifi has been cancelled, usually before it finishes its first season.
    Are you sure? Scare Tactics wasn't cancelled after its first season, i'm not too sure about that Tremors Series though, which recently got replaced by Andromeda .
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
      [COLOR=Blue....What is it with all-day marathons anyway? Do they really think someone has five hours to spare? [/COLOR]
      They're good if you're home sick or something. *ahem* But... yeah... I have not watched an entire marathon this summer *cough* nope... never...

I think Scare Tactics made it through a season, but I'm not too sure. Dark Shadows just amused me to no end. The "fight scenes" were hilarious! It was so obviously fake! The black & white ones weren't as amusing though I must admit.
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Scare Tactics is on/or will be on its third season with a new host, since Shannon D. is moving on back to script shows, while one of the Baldwin people (forgot which one) will be taking over. Yes, they weren't amusing to me at all! I don't think i watch marathons, unless its fully of episodes of a show that i like.

Comment

LordAnubis, my appendix popped a year ago, but it was kind'a nice as I got to watch cable TV for two weeks. Anywho, I finally got to see the sci-fi channel, but all they did was play SG-1, Star Trek, and scary movies, most of which I've seen before. Where was all the sci-fi shows that I've heard so much about? Well, they weren't on SCIFI!

What is it with all-day marathons anyway? Do they really think someone has five hours to spare?
          My point exactly...they overplay good shows, which makes them less watchable, and they could play older shows more instead of the swill that they put on. For example, they could play Buck Rogers for an hour, Battlestar Galactica for an hour, Sliders, Planet of the Apes Series, Logan's Run series, V...whatever...ANYTHING except Tremors (the movie sucked, guess what? the series did too!), Rift, Scare Tactics, and the other crap they like to play.

Scare tactics simply sucks. It's poorly done and Shannon D sucks too. Sci-fi has done some good mini-series. I agree with Dune, Children of Dune, Taken, and I'll even say Battlestar Galactica was okay, although I had some problems with the tech, cylons (they were not supposed to be created by humans, but they were aliens who became robotic in their quest for perfection...sounds like the Borg!), and a few others.

Doesn't anyone at Sci-fi realize the potential they have to succeed? Don't they realize that their network has become a laughing stock?

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
            The movies they show wouldn't bother me if they showed old B Sci Fi movies like from MST3K. Those are the CLASSICS!
            I agree. MORE old stuff... obscure stuff we havent seen for years (or never seen at all)... there are HUNDREDS of B movies... that would keep us busy for a long time... plus take away the day long marathons and spread them out more... Then drop scare tactice and mad mad house and that crap... this would be a much better mix...

Oh yeah, and BRING BACK MST3K!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
              Doesn't anyone at Sci-fi realize the potential they have to succeed? Don't they realize that their network has become a laughing stock?
              You may not like the network, but i guess the network executives don't care what they do to the network as long as they got their viewers, in which currently, they are achieving.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                You may not like the network, but i guess the network executives don't care what they do to the network as long as they got their viewers, in which currently, they are achieving.
                Only because of Stargate
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                  Actually, they are losing viewers left and right. We fans of stargate are loyal and put up with sci-fi's BS, but it seems to me that they are losing viewers and stuff. The channel sucks. they don't have good ppl working there dude. they need better staff who can program.

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
                    The movies they show wouldn't bother me if they showed old B Sci Fi movies like from MST3K. Those are the CLASSICS!
                    MST3K?

Comment

I don't get the SciFi channel (wrong country) but I can't help thinking that complaining about the commercials approaches nitpicking. It's not really as if they are going to turn down advertisers because they don't have 'fun enough' ads. That would be very stupid.

Also, judging from the ratings, the SciFi channel is doing pretty well. In fact about as well as it has ever done. You may not like it, but apparently this is what generates the best ratings. Go figure.

And speaking as someone who lives in a country where almost no SciFi shows are shown on TV except Star Trek; be glad you have what you have.

Comment

Eh, it's a cable channel. Me thinks your expectations are a little high.

Comment

I agree that the drug commercials they run are a little strange, especially considering their target demographic (young males). I'm also getting really tired of seeing the Bowflex commercials. However, since the only thing I really watch on SciFi is Stargate and I never watch it "live", it's only annoying because I have to catch the last 5 seconds of them as I skip over the commercials. So yeah, it's a nitpick. I feel sorry for those who really have to sit through that Enzyte one...

I don't mind the B-grade sci-fi movies (I really want to see Dog Soldiers ) and series (i.e., Lexx)...sometimes they're just a lot of fun. I don't get all the paranormal crap (i.e., John Edwards), and although they have rights to show The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone, they don't seem to take good advantage of either, running them late at night or at odd hours during the day. I'm also not a fan of day-long marathons except for the occasional one like The Twilight Zone on a weekend.

There is a rumor circulating that their new parent company, NBC Universal, is considering a horror-themed channel. A nice idea, but it still wouldn't fix the fact that sometimes there is little "scifi" on the SciFi Channel. However, they're apparently successful - admittedly due in large part to Stargate - so don't expect them to change unless the ratings really tank for the other stuff.
                          Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                          O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                          - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                          - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                          once done, cannot be undone...
                          brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

MST3K?
                            Mystery Science Theatre 3000

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I'll throw in my $.02. Of course we're not ever going to agree on which Sci Fi shows that should be programed, I do agree though, that they need to loose the horror stuff. I guess everybody has to get in on the reality tv act, and I can live with them trying their hand at it even though it's not my cup of tea. If they blended four or five original series' with the rest being made up of the really good old sci-fi shows and movies, most of us would be happy.
                              Carter: Navigation? O'Neill: Check. Carter: Oxygen, Pressure, Temperature Control?
                              O'Neill: Check. Carter: Internal Dampeners? O'Neill: Cool!, and Check. Carter: Engine?
                              O'Neill: All Check. O'Neill: Phasers? Carter: Sorry Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                                I don't get the SciFi channel (wrong country) but I can't help thinking that complaining about the commercials approaches nitpicking. It's not really as if they are going to turn down advertisers because they don't have 'fun enough' ads. That would be very stupid.

Also, judging from the ratings, the SciFi channel is doing pretty well. In fact about as well as it has ever done. You may not like it, but apparently this is what generates the best ratings. Go figure.

And speaking as someone who lives in a country where almost no SciFi shows are shown on TV except Star Trek; be glad you have what you have.
                                Um, since you've never seen the channel, or it's awful programs, you really aren't in a good place to make that sort of commentary. I'm sure living in Iceland is simply wonderful (rolls eyes), and I'm sure it sucks not to have sci-fi on television, but that's not the point. In fact, your comments are not irrelevant, but support my argument. Why?

First, if a channel exists for the sole purpose of playing sci-fi movies/shows, then it should do so. I mean, it's called the Sci-fi channel, not the "fantasy" or "horror" or "animals gone bad" or "marathon lame old show channel". If you're gonna call it the Sci-fi channel, then PLAY SCI-FI!!!!!

Very little of what they play is actual sci-fi. Yeah, I know a movie/program can be both sci-fi and horror (like "Alien"), or sci-fi/mythology/religious ("Fifth Element"), but the movie should be primarily sci-fi to be on the channel.

I'm not being nitpicky or whiny, I'm making valid points. This channel is not living up to its name and the only reason why its ratings are so high now is BECAUSE of Stargate and Atlantis. If you took those two shows off Sci-fi, and put them back on Showtime, I think the sci-fi channel would shrivel up and die within a year or so, UNLESS they changed their format/programming.

We don't need movies all the time, but some good ones would be nice. There are hundreds of old sci-fi shows from the US, Canada, Australia, and Europe that they could play. I mentioned a bunch before, but there are many more. Man, I'd love to see some of those old shows again.

I think Sci-fi should change. I think they should listen to their viewers and get some of these old shows on.

Oh, about the commercials...yeah, you're right...they shouldn't turn down advertisers, but commercials are usually geared or aimed at a particular demographic. Most of the people who watch Stargate for example, are younger, like around 12-35 -- maybe up to 40. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, and I'm sure there are old people 35+ who watch the show, but for the most part, most of the people who watch Stargate, I'm guessing, are under 40 or under 35. Probably most of us are under 30. What do they advertise though?

They have about 4 commericials per show about Enzyte, which is like some kinda impotence drug. I'm 19, so if anything, I need somthing that keeps it down, not up! Why advertise this crap when you know most of the ppl watching are younger and don't have this problem? And then life insurance commercials. And mortgage commercials. They never advertise about products that younger ppl might be interested in or something. If you watch other networks, you'll see that the commercials are aimed and targeted toward a particular demographic of people, but not the sci-fi, since they don't care.

They also have these lil spots that they produce that are sci-fi like. Like one where this old martial arts guy is standing there and this bird lands on his bald head, but his head opens up like the mouth of some dragon creature and then swallows the bird up and closes up back to a bald asian guy's head. Well, it was cool....THREE YEARS ago. Today, it's old and used. Make a new one!

Or there's another where this martial arts guy does all these Matrix like moves and doges throwing stars and knives or something in slow motion. Ya, it was cool back in the day, but not now. Get some new ones.
                                Last edited by LordAnubis; 26 August 2004, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X