X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robot wars in Dr Who

Cyberman v Daleks in 1st Dr Who battle

TV chiefs are plotting a showdown between Dr Who's most fearsome foes - Cybermen and the Daleks.

The Timelord's robot enemies will confront each other for the first time in teh BBC1 sci-fi hit's 42 year history.
    The Sun has already revealed the sinister white Cybermen are making a comeback in the next series.

They return for a two-part adventure set on an alternative Earth.

But we can also disclose that they are making a surprise reappearance during the last two episodes as well. And in those shows - called Army of Ghosts - the Daleks turn up too.

An insider said: "It's going to be an explosive end to the series and the fans will love it. It's war."

The Daleks killed the last Dr Who, played by Christopher Eccleston. He regenarated as Casanova actor David Tennant who stars in the new series next spring with sidekick Rose Tyler (Billie Piper).

Exclusive by: Sara Nathan, TV Editor.

Last edited by TheWarrior; 12 October 2005, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Wow. I always wondered what would happen between the two, but I never thought they'd actually do it. I wonder how it will turn out.
      "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

From SciFi Wire:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/i...ory=0&id=32815

Who Earns TV Award Noms

The new Doctor Who series has received three nominations for the National Television Awards in the U.K., the BBC news service reported. Stars Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper were nominated for best actor and actress, while the series will compete in the category of most popular drama.

The winners will be decided by a public vote and announced at a ceremony on Oct. 25. Veteran news anchor Sir Trevor McDonald will host the awards show, to be held at London's Royal Albert Hall.
        sigpic

Comment

Already posted here: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=18806
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Looks interesting !!!
            Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
              The way politics and the mass media currently are here makes Doctor Who a tough sell, IMO.
              Why? Why would it be a hard sell in the US? I thought if it was to be shown at all it would be on a cable network because a) It is foreign b) It is SciFi and c) It is foreign and SciFi!!

I thought cable was the home of these kind of shows in the US. Maybe if the BBC can't find a buyer they will relent and show it on the American BBC channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                Why? Why would it be a hard sell in the US? I thought if it was to be shown at all it would be on a cable network because a) It is foreign b) It is SciFi and c) It is foreign and SciFi!!
                Broadcasters would want more control over the program. Let's hope that never happens because they would destroy it.

PBS is currently underfunded and under sustained attack by the current administration, because their shows aren't dishonest and one-sided...I mean, "fair and balanced".

Cable is the most likely outlet, but it's still a hard sell.

1.) The new series is only 13 episodes which covers only a quarter of the yearly schedule. This will narrow the scheduling options. They could cover another quarter with the repeats, but they would still need another small series to cover the other half.

2.) Okay, maybe they could show the classic series then? It's doubtful they would show the classic series in the same slot. Probably wouldn't be treated very seriously. Not even the Sci-Fi Channel has much respect for it. Only PBS ever did and right now they can't afford it financially and politically.

3.) The show is British. Most Americans can't imagine how Canadians live, let alone such an exotic culture as the United Kingdom.

4.) The lead character is effectively a liberal activist (from an American perspective). There is a bisexual character in the new series. Many Americans would get very upset over this. Call you spell homophobia?

5.) Right now there is a major propaganda movement. Radio has almost been completely overwhelmed by ideaology. Television is getting there. Stargate gets by because it's pro-military, but Doctor Who is seriously off-message. Only the film industry seems to be pretty well insulated from political pressures. I mean...have you seen what passes for news in this country? Pathetic, self-congratulatory propaganda.

6.) There are many variables in broadcasting Doctor Who, and there is much risk, so it may not seem worth the trouble. Maybe if the Doctor was a gunslinging Bible-quoting American, it would stand a better chance.

7.) American television target audiences fall into two main categories: the intellectuals and the regular folks.

The intellectuals need to be distracted and confused so their concerns stay on the peripheriary of issues. Otherwise, they might start asking uncomfortable questions.

The regular folks just need to watch some sports or sitcoms and such. These folks, who are the majority, are typically too overwhelmed with everyday real-life concerns to keep abreast of abuses of power that affect their lives. And that's good because they'd be really pissed if they really knew how unfairly they were treated, how the rules of society are stacked against them.

You can't have a Pertwee or Baker coming into their living rooms, making speeches about social justice. That might inspire people...give them funny ideas.

Many countries have an independently-run state-financed channel to provide populist programs and promote populist ideas. Those are the types of channels that Doctor Who does well on. America doesn't have those. The closest thing we have is PBS and right now Bush is using the CPB to hammer them into submission, so they stop reporting politically inconvenient news. Nixon tried the same thing when PBS aired the commission investigating Watergate, but only wound up popularizing it.

If you are wondering where American society is currently at, watch The Sunmakers.

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                I thought cable was the home of these kind of shows in the US. Maybe if the BBC can't find a buyer they will relent and show it on the American BBC channel.
                Maybe, let's hope. I can't wait any longer. I ordered a multi-region player. And I'm ordering the Season 1 region 2 DVD boxset.
                Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 17 October 2005, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Very good DASP. Couldnt have put it better myself. Have a Green

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                    Very good DASP. Couldnt have put it better myself. Have a Green
                    Thanks, I didn't want to get political on this thread, but it was necessary in order to honestly answer the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                      If you are wondering where American society is currently at, watch The Sunmakers.
                      That's a good analagy, which is kind of a disturbing thought. Anyway, I sure hope they come up with something soon. I'm sick of waiting because companies are stubborn at admitting it's a good show. *sigh* We've been waiting sixteen years for this...why oh why do they have to make us wait longer? AHHHHH! I can't stand it!!! Ok. Enough of my ranting; it's good to get that out of my system.

Anyway, good discussion guys.
                      "There's no point in growing up if you can't be childish sometimes." ~Doctor Who, Robot~

SGA Fanfiction

Comment

Doctor Who Week on UK Gold

Missed the Amazing new series of Doctor Who when it aired on BBC1 & BBC3, you need not worry as UK Gold from Sunday 23rd October will be airing back to back episodes of Doctor Who.

Sunday 23rd October:

7:00pm Rose

8:00pm The End Of The World

9:00pm The Unquiet Dead

Monday 24th October:

7:00pm Aliens Of London

8:00pm World War III

Tuesday 25th October:

7:00pm Dalek

8:00pm The Long Game

Wednesday 26th October:

7:00pm Father's Day

8:00pm The Empty Child

Thursday 27th October:

7:00pm The Doctor Dances

8:00pm Boom Town

Friday 28th October:

7:00pm Bad Wolf

8:00pm The Parting Of The Ways

Comment

Yay more decent tv to watch this half term.
                          Im going to take the adverts advice 'watch it or die !!!'

Comment

Originally posted by Metarock Sam
                            Yay more decent tv to watch this half term.
                            Im going to take the adverts advice 'watch it or die !!!'
                            I saw those poster advertisments yesterday, came off the M5 motorway and there was a Dalek on a poster telling me to "Watch It Or Die!".

As you say, better take their advice.

Comment

Lets hope they win this award now

Comment

Should have got this thread sooner

Comment

Working...
                                X