This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by huntress View Post
    Dear lord, they tried to remake "Red Dwarf" o_O Didn't know that.

Let's see.

Shows the US tried to re-make and that crashed and burned:
    - Fawlty Towers
    - Blackpool
    - As If
    - Wild at Heart
    - Life on Mars
    - Coupling
    - Spaced
    and apparently
    - Red Dwarf

They will never learn, will they : sigh :
    Well let's hope this "source" is totally and completely wrong. And even if they aren't and it does go ahead...I say let the US have it and screw it up as only they know how. We'll still have the true original and the best British version with almost 50-years of history behind it to watch.

As for Red Dwarf...yeah there were two pilot episodes actually made in the early 1990's and one of them actually had Robert Llewellyn back as Kryten and Terry Farrell (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine's Jadzia Dax) was playing The Cat...but both were terrible...the pilots that is. They were terrible. I'm sure Llewellyn and Farrell were fine.
    Last edited by Alan; 21 March 2010, 11:54 AM.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

The US have done occasional successful imports. Russell T. Davis did great job with Dr. Who, but he's had success with the US remake a show he's created before. He made a series in the UK called Queer as Folk, the US version of the same name lasted a lot of episodes and several seasons longer.

The Office most recently has had great success in the States (although to be fair, I don't like either version). While the failures completely outnumber the successes, when done right (for US audiences) the remake can be really popular.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        The US have done occasional successful imports. Russell T. Davis did great job with Dr. Who, but he's had success with the US remake a show he's created before. He made a series in the UK called Queer as Folk, the US version of the same name lasted a lot of episodes and several seasons longer.

The Office most recently has had great success in the States (although to be fair, I don't like either version). While the failures completely outnumber the successes, when done right (for US audiences) the remake can be really popular.
        I watched some QaF . The fact that the show lasted longer only had to do with the fact that the main actors were better eye candy then their British counter parts. I also wouldn't call QaF a hit. It was shown on Showtime and shows with a heavy dose of sex are always successful on Showtime. Just look at "L Word" and "Californication" -_- Never watched "The Ofiice".
        He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
        He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
        And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post

But why bother at all? They should be happy with what we make for them. It just boggles my mind. Personally I'm dropping this subject right after I post this because just thinking about some US version of Doctor Who being made both sickens and angers me. I pray to god it does not go ahead.

Subject dropped now.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Sexiest sidekick, eh? I think that might be Leela. Or Zoe. Bah. A 6 foot red-head works for me, though!
            Last edited by nx01a; 22 March 2010, 04:52 PM.
            sigpic
            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

"No past characters" in new 'Doctor Who'

Steven Moffat has confirmed that none of the major characters from the Russell T. Davies era of Doctor Who will appear in his first series.

The new showrunner previously revealed that the Weeping Angels, Daleks and Silurians will feature in Matt Smith's first year as The Doctor, but moved to rule out a return of the human characters introduced by his predecessor.

Moffat told The Guardian: "The more you back-reference, the more it feels like a sequel and the sequel is ever as good as the original. "Old favourites can return, provided you can do something new and exciting with them."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/...octor-who.html

Comment

IMO a very smart move by Moffat. I agree with him.
                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Likewise. The Moff knows what he's doing.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

It is a smart move, but it's also an unfortunate one. I don't mind past companions not coming back, but I had my heart set on Wilfred returning and learning that 10th died to save him. Wilfred and the DoctorDonna version of 10th who stayed with Rose, the only two that I want to return.

sigpic

Comment

All I want is to see Donna get her memories back. And hook up with her imaginary stuttering husband from The Library. Her present husband? Bah. He's probably evil.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Donna can't get her memories back though, it would fry her brain. If 10th couldn't fix her, I doubt 11th could. It may take Moffett to bring back the Time Lords and have them do it before we can get the old Donna back.

sigpic

Comment

I think its a good move as well. At least for Matt's first season.

Interesting that he also said

There are no past characters coming back in this series, but I imagine that kids would love to see Captain Jack meet the new Doctor.
                          Now I'd like to see that eventually.

Comment

I'm in agreement with Mr. Moffat. I'm sure further down the line that former companions will return but I think that right now this is the Doctor and Amy's time.

Of the companions I'd like to see back -
                            • Captain Jack Harkness
                            • Sarah Jane Smith (along with Luke, K-9, & Mr. Smith)
                            • Martha Smith-Jones and Mickey Smith

The reason being for these is because I think that they're the companions that are in the best positions to call for the Doctor for his help or for him to find them and enlist theirs. I'd also like to have Brigadier Sir Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart back along with U.N.I.T. It's long past time for the Doctor and the Brigadier to meet up again.

One companion I'm certainly in no hurry to see again - Rose Tyler. For me, her story is done.

Comment

It's good that Moffat wants to start relatively fresh with his own cast of characters. If only he'd left the Daleks and Cybermen behind...

I certainly don't want to be Rose again Ever.
                              Mickey and Martha aka Smith and Jones are similarly dead to me. Maybe it's the totally left field 'put the two black characters together' feel of their union that's left a bad taste in my mouth.
                              I'd love to see Donna return and get restored [memories of her time with the Doctor, though obviously she'd have to lose the Time Lord info].
                              Sarah Jane has her own series still, right? Leave her there for now. I'd love to see the older companion/younger-looking Doctor angle played out. Someone asking Sarah Jane why her 'son' is so hyper-active. It would be a great parallel to everyone asking if the Doctor and Donna are a couple: everyone thinking that the Doctor's Sarah Jane's son. Or her toy boy. :d
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I don't want Rose to return either, BUT I want her to be referenced at least once. I can see Martha and Jack returning, I don't see how Jack cannot return to be honest. Especially if Torchwood continues to be set in the DW universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X