Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished watching all of his stories. I only really liked his character when he was moping around the Tardis in Vengeance on Varos. He wasn't really likeable enough when he was being arrogant. He deserved a lot better final story and regeneration though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallista
      Man, that sounds like the kind of stuff I'd be interested in reading. *evil grin* I don't think she's written Fifth Doctor novels, though, right?
      No.

She wrote novels for 6th Doctor (1), 7th Doctor (6), 8th Doctor (4), and Bernice Summerfield (1).

She wrote short stories for Bernice Summerfield (4) and The Doctor (4).

She wrote one Bernice Summerfield audio adventure.

Most of her 8th Doctor novels were co-written by Jonathan Blum.

Comment

I listen to a Bernice Summerfield eps when she fought the cyber-men. It dosent take much to out smart them
        Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
          I didn't mind the actual story of The Twin Dilemma (I think Terminus was far more dreary) but I just hated the doctor's abrupt mood swings. Colin Baker is obviously a really charming fellow but I don't think he was comfortable swinging from being murderous and silly to being bombastic and annoying. It felt rather unnatural.
          It is so unlike the Doctor to be timid and lacking in compassion.
          All that, the unstable regeneration, the mood swings, having Colin play it as bombastic and unlikeable, and the costume were JNT's ideas.

Peter Davison and other actors suffered to a lesser extent with similar decisions.

I always wanted to see the 6th Doctor sans JNT, to see what direction Colin would take the character. Has anyone ever listened to a 6th audio? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
            I listen to a Bernice Summerfield eps when she fought the cyber-men. It dosent take much to out smart them
            In Silver Nemesis, Sylvester and Sophie played "keep away" with them, so...yeah, pretty much.

Comment

Yes so ture, they were always so weak against our emotions

Comment

Yes so ture, they were always so weak against our emotions
                Well, they were certainly slow and clumsy.

Comment

But they were presistant... That made them dangerous

Comment

But they were presistant... That made them dangerous
                    They were smart, persistent, strong, resilient, rational, yet lumbering and easily tricked.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                      No.
                      Bummer. Just my luck. It is my belief (yes, rather sexist, I know) that women write better Hurt/Comfort than men... or if not better, than at least more (just look at fanfiction, *grin*). She should've written for Doc 5!
                      She wrote novels for 6th Doctor (1), 7th Doctor (6), 8th Doctor (4), and Bernice Summerfield (1).
                      In spite of the sweetness that is Peri, I'm not very tempted yet to track down Sixth Doctor novels. The Seventh Doctor I haven't even watched yet, but there's a better chance there of me liking him than the Sixth, so maybe I'll eventually read some of her 7th Doc novels, then.
                      She wrote short stories for Bernice Summerfield (4)
                      Bernice Summerfield is somewhat of a mystery to me. IIRC, she is an original character that for some reason is very popular in fandom? I read one of those e-books on the BBC site... Dying Days. A very, very bad way to get introduced to the character, I'm sure, even though the novel itself apparently is a masterpiece. She seemed likeable enough, though.
                      I remember it took me weeks to figure out that Bernice and Benny were the same character...

Comment

While Peri is not as dreadful as I had first thought, she's still somewhat annoying at times. Talks too much...
                        sigpic
                        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

She stayed with the good doctor throughtout his 6th run

Comment

Bummer. Just my luck. It is my belief (yes, rather sexist, I know) that women write better Hurt/Comfort than men... or if not better, than at least more (just look at fanfiction, *grin*). She should've written for Doc 5!
                            And if I said the same thing, I could be accused of sexism by inferring woman are more sadistic yet compassionate...so don't sweat it.

I read a study of a personality test that claimed 60% of men are more in touch with their intellect than their emotions and 60% of women are more emotional than intellectual. (EDIT: And the remaining 40% of each is the opposite, btw.)

I also read some articles are how male and female brains react to different stimulus, between hormones and re-routing signals.

Example, anger stimulates the speech center of the female brain, compelling her to blab on.

Whereas in a male, anger stimulates nerves of the extremities in his body, making him fidget and respond physically like a caveman or gorilla. He needs to pace around and/or hit things. Also, it's interesting to note his speech centers become less stimulated, making it even more difficult for him to express himself (thus completing the gorilla analogy ).

Also, from a social standpoint, learned behavior also plays into such differences.

Growing up as a male, it was my experience that males were strongly discouraged from expressing or exploring most feelings, except the really aggressive ones. Pain and discomfort were considered something to be quietly endured, not complained about. Such things were not dwelt upon and only minimally mentioned. To do otherwise would be to lose respect or show disrespect.

Nowadays, males (at least from my perspective) are much more whiney.

So I do agree with your statement in that women more statistical likely to be better at expressing feelings, but I recognize that males have been taught to be more...sensitive. I think that's the nicest way to put it.

Regardless, we needn't evoke any disclaimers. We all know there always exist exceptions.

In spite of the sweetness that is Peri, I'm not very tempted yet to track down Sixth Doctor novels. The Seventh Doctor I haven't even watched yet, but there's a better chance there of me liking him than the Sixth, so maybe I'll eventually read some of her 7th Doc novels, then.
                            I'm just the opposite. I liked the 6th Doctor, but I thought Peri was too whiney.

Bernice Summerfield is somewhat of a mystery to me. IIRC, she is an original character that for some reason is very popular in fandom? I read one of those e-books on the BBC site... Dying Days. A very, very bad way to get introduced to the character, I'm sure, even though the novel itself apparently is a masterpiece. She seemed likeable enough, though.
                            Bernice is awesome.
                            Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 07 December 2005, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                              And if I said the same thing, I could be accused of sexism by inferring woman are more sadistic yet compassionate...so don't sweat it.
                              Know what? I think women are more sadistic. *grins evilly* (BTW I've come across this before, not just in Doctor Who writing, but also in my other books fandom, Star Wars EU.) I'm reading all these Fifth Doctor novels written by men, and there's hardly any Hurt/Comfort in there. Sure, knock the poor Doctor out, and the next time he appears, he's all coma-ed out and running about without the author or anybody else giving a second of thought to the poor Gallifreyan's health! There's no drama here!! If a female writer knocks the hero out, chances are the other characters will at least show some concern, fuss over him trying to get him to wake up etc.
                              (Of course, there are 1001 exceptions to this rule. I just very conveniently cannot remember them right now, hehe.)

Nowadays, males (at least from my perspective) are much more whiney.
                              Which, frankly, makes them way more attractive.

I recognize that males have been taught to be more...sensitive. I think that's the nicest way to put it.
                              Well, then, time for them to show it in the novels! Gimme some drama, some angst in those novels!

I'm just the opposite. I liked the 6th Doctor, but I thought Peri was too whiney.
                              I guess I just identify with her (and not just because of her not-so-perfect American accent). I'd be whiney, too, if I were stuck with a Doctor who's as arrogant and bombastic as the Sixth, after having just gotten used to the sweetness that is Five. Poor Peri. She must be such a strong young woman, to stay with him even thought he's such a meanie.

Bernice is awesome.
                              I'm gonna have to read the first novel in which she appears, because the one novel I read with her just didn't make much sense to me... You wouldn't happen to know which one that is, right (first Benny novel, that is)? *g*

Comment

Know what? I think women are more sadistic. *grins evilly*
                                The fellas are more brutal, but the ladies are definitely more sadistic...lot of festering nastiness there. Maybe you folks should try hitting stuff. Works for me.

(BTW I've come across this before, not just in Doctor Who writing, but also in my other books fandom, Star Wars EU.) I'm reading all these Fifth Doctor novels written by men, and there's hardly any Hurt/Comfort in there. Sure, knock the poor Doctor out, and the next time he appears, he's all coma-ed out and running about without the author or anybody else giving a second of thought to the poor Gallifreyan's health! There's no drama here!! If a female writer knocks the hero out, chances are the other characters will at least show some concern, fuss over him trying to get him to wake up etc.
                                (Of course, there are 1001 exceptions to this rule. I just very conveniently cannot remember them right now, hehe.)
                                I think men generally prefer less...injury drama and rather get on with the story. Maybe these new modern (can't really call them men) males will agree with you.

Which, frankly, makes them way more attractive.
                                Frankly it turns my stomache when a man behaves in such a manner (and I actually don't think of them as men), but if it's whininess you like...there is certainly no shortage.

Well, then, time for them to show it in the novels! Gimme some drama, some angst in those novels!
                                Maybe it's because I'm a fella, but I think the male writers evoke more than enough angst in the Doctor Who novels...except maybe Terrance Dicks who is more of a nuts & bolts plot-driven writer.

Yeah, now I really think about it...in my view, the female writers are too angsty.

Well, I suppose that's just another gender irony.

I really like a balance between emotional arcs and plot. More than likely, what I see as balance, you'll see as a deficit of angst.

I guess I just identify with her (and not just because of her not-so-perfect American accent). I'd be whiney, too, if I were stuck with a Doctor who's as arrogant and bombastic as the Sixth, after having just gotten used to the sweetness that is Five. Poor Peri. She must be such a strong young woman, to stay with him even thought he's such a meanie.
                                ....where as I always felt sorry for the 6th Doctor who had to constantly pause, dumb it down, and listen to Peri's incessant whining. OMG, this is so funny! We're taking the oppositing sides on everything.

I'm gonna have to read the first novel in which she appears, because the one novel I read with her just didn't make much sense to me... You wouldn't happen to know which one that is, right (first Benny novel, that is)? *g*
                                Here you go, my friend....

This is the ninth novel in the New Doctor Who Adventures series and Benny's debut.
                                Last edited by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime; 07 December 2005, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X