Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm getting it on free to air, public television, so I'm not complaining too much...

But I'm missing Peter Davison muchly... Heard that he wanted to continue doing it but made up his mind too late...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime

JNT seems to have made many unpopular choices with the cast members.
      One man shouldn't have that much power...
      sigpic
      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
        I'm getting it on free to air, public television, so I'm not complaining too much...

But I'm missing Peter Davison muchly... Heard that he wanted to continue doing it but made up his mind too late...
        Yeah, I heard that, too.

Comment

Well, I'm finally starting to make some progress watching the Sixth Doctor serials. I finished watching Revelation of the Daleks last night, and watched the first two episodes of the Trial of a Time Lord (i.e The Mysterious Planet). I have to make choices in my spare time between watching serials and reading Fifth Doctor novels, and, well, the choice isn't that difficult for me. There have been some really great moments in the Sixth Doctor serials, though, but the stories just don't interest me enough, and his bombastic attitude annoys me to no end.
          I'm with Easter Lily, Peter Davison's Doctor is sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallista
            Well, I'm finally starting to make some progress watching the Sixth Doctor serials. I finished watching Revelation of the Daleks last night, and watched the first two episodes of the Trial of a Time Lord (i.e The Mysterious Planet). I have to make choices in my spare time between watching serials and reading Fifth Doctor novels, and, well, the choice isn't that difficult for me.
            That's what's wonderful about Doctor Who, everyone has a favorite period.

I pretty much liked all the Doctors. I found McCoy's stories to be annoying at times...too preachy and thematic...but I still enjoyed them at a certain level. I'm not a big fan JNT's influences on music, writing, and costume; but he did keep the show interesting in it's direction.

And, IMO, none of the later Doctors match the first four.

There have been some really great moments in the Sixth Doctor serials, though, but the stories just don't interest me enough, and his bombastic attitude annoys me to no end.
            I'm with Easter Lily, Peter Davison's Doctor is sorely missed.
            Yeah, but now we have Fifth Doctor novels, audio CDs, and five of his stories on DVD...that's pretty neat.

BTW, I loved The Crystal Bucephalus.

Comment

Yeah, but now we have Fifth Doctor novels, audio CDs, and five of his stories on DVD...that's pretty neat.
              The audio dramas are great!
              BTW, I loved The Crystal Bucephalus.
              Oh yeah, nice story. It got a bit confusing at times, though, and I know I missed some important stuff, because I read in a review afterwards that there was a fair amount of hinting in the novel that New Alexandria was built on
              Spoiler:
              the ruins of Gallifrey
              . I do remember a scene where the Doctor sees the coordinates and recognizes them, but I never figured out that it was hinting at that particular location. And all the jumping between the various dates and locations... I'm just not used enough to that yet, I guess. And the five-year gap, that just didn't work for me.

Comment

And all the jumping between the various dates and locations... I'm just not used enough to that yet, I guess. And the five-year gap, that just didn't work for me.
                I feel like many of the new Doctor Who novels were written by folks who are just trying to prove how clever they are.

What I'm trying to say is if you can't put forth the time or effort, many stories become confusing rather quickly.

Even if you read the whole novel in a single sitting, it can be a struggle.

Jumping around time and space, making vague references to television episodes and new books you haven't read, and throwing in various storytelling devices like flashbacks, etc....all gets too confusing.

The old Target series had the opposite problem, lacking in depth and complexity.

I didn't have any of those problems with The Crystal Bucephalus. Plot and characterization merged beautifully. Nice twists and smoothly plotted.

Personally, I like the time gaps because that means more opportunities for additional adventures.

Then again, I suppose it's depends on my mood.

"Gee willickers, I'm feeling sadistic. I know...I'll a read Kate Orman novel. Let's see how she tortures the characters in this one...."

Comment

"Gee willickers, I'm feeling sadistic. I know...I'll a read Kate Orman novel. Let's see how she tortures the characters in this one...."
                  *perks up* That sounds rather intriguing, actually.

Comment

*perks up* That sounds rather intriguing, actually.
                    Now I'm feeling...intrigued...and perky.

Sorry. Didn't mean to be such a "percolator".

Comment

Well, come on, do tell, don't hold me in suspense. What do you mean with "torture"?

Comment

Well, come on, do tell, don't hold me in suspense. What do you mean with "torture"?
                        I mean she puts the characters through emotional and physical hell in her stories.

It's been a while since I read her Doctor Who novels, but I always remember her villains being the most brutal and her situations being the most sadistic.

The other writers also put the characters in uncomfortable situations and injured them and put them through difficulties, but Kate Orman never gave them a breather...until the end when they just about pass out from exhaustion.

Like I said, you have to be in the mood to sludge through the brutality alongside the Doctor in her stories because she doesn't let up.

I'm sure other fans could dispute my assertions, but I just remember reading the novels in order, and each time I'd put a book down and say, "Whew! That's pretty intense. I need a break"...the front cover said "by Kate Orman".

Comment

Man, that sounds like the kind of stuff I'd be interested in reading. *evil grin* I don't think she's written Fifth Doctor novels, though, right?

Comment

I didn't mind the actual story of The Twin Dilemma (I think Terminus was far more dreary) but I just hated the doctor's abrupt mood swings. Colin Baker is obviously a really charming fellow but I don't think he was comfortable swinging from being murderous and silly to being bombastic and annoying. It felt rather unnatural.
                            It is so unlike the Doctor to be timid and lacking in compassion.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              I didn't mind the actual story of The Twin Dilemma (I think Terminus was far more dreary) but I just hated the doctor's abrupt mood swings. Colin Baker is obviously a really charming fellow but I don't think he was comfortable swinging from being murderous and silly to being bombastic and annoying. It felt rather unnatural.
                              It is so unlike the Doctor to be timid and lacking in compassion.
                              I never warmed to him as the Doctor but I never had the hate that some fans did either. He is a change from Peter and even Tom but you do get use to him after a while although some of the stories if I remember correctly were a little odd, odder than usual and IMO no real stand outs except for the "Trial" episodes which seemed to serve the BBC more than the viewer. *Of course I could be talking rubbish as I have only ever seen these episodes once*

Comment

He was okay, they sould have given him more time to flesh out the role
                                Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Working...
                                X