"Star Wars: The Old Republic" Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nth Chevron View Post
    This game has been mismarketed as KOTOR 3+, it looked like it, but after dragging my char through the repetitive gameplay and incredibly childish way of Jedi speaking (Consular conversation makes me cringe sometimes)
    Try an empire character. I tried a Jedi to and ended up quitting because the dialog was that bad.

Comment

The problem with my Consular is he can't take a compliment.

NPC = "wow, we survive an onslaught of 100 enemies" (doesn't really happen, just using something non spoiler as an example"
      Consular = "The force was with us", or was an ally, or was a guide, or was assisting. If you can get through a chat without him mentioning the Force then consider yourself lucky.

I'm half tempted to kill people when given the choice just to see if it differs, but I'm Light IV with no dark side points at all, can't wait until I start fully Dark Side.

It doesn't help that dialogue can be identical. I did a quest with a Guardian, but they forgot to access a terminal, so we had to see the same thing twice and no change in dialogue at all. So I'm not sure it's just Jedi Consular being a unable to credit anything other than the Force for anything he does.

sigpic

Comment

Just bought tales of a Jedi it's during the old republic, right?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
          Just bought tales of a Jedi it's during the old republic, right?
          The Tales of the Jedi comics?

If so--not quite. But they're in the same "Old Republic" era, and absolutely form the foundations for where everybody finds themselves in SWTOR
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Decided to reset my skill points last night. Wasn't doing as well as I thought should be at higher levels so decided to reset and follow the Shadow 31/0/10 layout. Working well so far, although I'm only level 43 so haven't maxed out 10 yet.

Got my final companion last night after rushing through Belsavis. Planet was dead except for two level 50s taking shots at each other (not sure why, I thought it may have been PvP boosting but they weren't killing) so I only did the class quests so will finish the rest later today.

I'm liking Chapter 3 a lot (I don't use Act 1/2/3 because it displays as Chapter when I load game), it's a big improvement over the first and second, and I'm really enjoying the influence KOTOR is having on this arc, but it's a bit unoriginal yet I am still liking it.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that was a bit of an oddity. For a while, it displayed as Act 1, then it changed to Chapter 1. And since getting past that, it's been Chapter 2. Strange.

I'm still a ways down from there, been working a lot and struggling to keep up with TV too so my TOR time isn't quite as much as I'd like Still, I'm at lvl 39 Sith Warrior starting Hoth so still plenty of new stuff. I finally figured out where the damn Foundry quest starts at the Imperial Fleet, so I can get to that eventually. And also finally figured out what the hell Operations are, and that they're a lvl 50 action All news to me
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I only learnt this morning when I did reset my skill points that I could do it. A level 50 told me after I asked him for help beating the first boss on Belsavis and told him my skill set was letting me down. It's weird the things you can learn when there are only two people on the planet (this was before I went back and saw the two 50s taking shots at each other).

I'm happy with the results so far, so I'm looking forward to getting level 50 and completing 31/0/10 (right now it's 31/0/4). Wish I had known that Rataka Energy Cubes could no longer be picked up when you have the Green Matrix Shard (or at least 4, I had 4 and stopped looking) for Belsavis. Would have collected another four and seen how much I could make for them.

sigpic

Comment

Have hit the end of my characters class quest.

Now I'm at level 50, I'm somewhat disappointed. Ilum is annoying the crap out of me as I was given a quest (but apparently not class related) and if it's not bad enough being killed in a boss fight, I can't even heal because the healing invisibility field is detected (rather than just detecting a person using stealth) and I get my ass kicked all over again with minimal health. I understand why people had such an issue with this before the 1.1 update, although they had it worse because of more people in that room.

Space fights are boring. I figured wait until 50, they'll add more missions, which they did, but it's just the same stuff over again but they've just made the old stuff harder by adding shields to fighters, minefields shoot at you, shield generators now need proton torpedoes (or that addon has screwed my ability to fire normal missiles are certain targets).

Story was overall dull, but there were a few moments that picked it up, such as during Corellia. Not sure it works the same for all class quests, but each of mine has had a specific villain you end up fighting and it was sadly obvious who it was each time, the third could have been easier but my character learnt how to have visions and they just gave it away even if it wasn't that hard to work out. Corellia was the first planet that really looked like a war was going on, would have been my favourite planet in design but there is just something I like about Ilum's sky and Kryton appearance.

Also pretty much bankrupted myself last night. Got a new bits of armour, some crystals but spending a lot of money on learning Treasure Hunting. It's the last I need to max all crew skills.

sigpic

Comment

http://kotaku.com/5901908/star-wars-...luable-players
                    sigpic

Comment

Yesterday's big update (1.2) was really good for having worked out kinks and streamlining a lot of little things. I also really like that they're using the updates to introduce new plot quests via FPs and Operations; the new FP/Ops in 1.2 are direct sequels to the ones introduced in the 1.1 update. I'm not a lvl 50 player, but I really appreciate that more, meaty content is being added regularly.

After getting kind of bored with my Sith Warrior around lvl 39, I kind of petered out playing for a month or so. I've since started up a JK and have been enjoying it like crazy!

Comment

http://beefjack.com/news/bioware-to-...ansfer-system/

Hooray, server transfer is in the cards!

Comment

"Star Wars: The Old Republic has already surpassed 1.7 million players, and the servers are getting a bit crowded."

Right away I can tell this guy doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Not once have I heard of someone wanting a server transfer because of overcrowding.

sigpic

Comment

Yes....I noticed that too

I really wish your chars were tied to your account rather than server though. I have a Sith Juggernaut on Assassins of Sion, and in the last few weeks rolled a Jedi Sentinel on Wall of Light (to play with some of the Wookieepedia crowd). Unfortunately both servers are 'normal' pop....and I really want to play on a heavy pop server like Fatman.

Comment

The cut scenes in the game is what interested me in the first place since I played both KOTOR 1 and 2. The dialogue options are pretty cool and something that MMO's don't usually do not even the new ones. I've been holding off because of school but SWTOR and Terra are the MMO's I want to try out this year. I usually like Bioware games except DA2. I am going to star playing at the end of this month. It seems that a lot of developers are going MMO because its a cash cow. Just read that the Elder Scrolls franchise is going to become MMO also.
                              sigpic

Favorite quote:
                              McKay: You shot me!
                              Sheppard: Yes, Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry.
                              Ronon: You shot me, too.
                              Sheppard: I’m sorry for shooting everyone!

Comment

im enjoying playing star wars TOR. iv'e never played a mmo before it's a good game and the cutscenes are well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X