Enterprise cancelled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dahak
    Obviously there will be a new ST show in the future. I really hope that Bermaga have nothing to do with it.
    What they should do is say 'Hey, Manny, we need you to pen a new ST series. In five years, we want the premise, and a complete story arc for the first season.' And then see what happens.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Enterprise? Cancelled? What a shocker!

Well, I'm a pretty big fan of anything Star Trek, but I have to say that I stopped watching Enterprise after its 2nd season. I do regret its demise, because it means that Star Trek is truly fading - which is a sad thought

I saw it coming, though. I mean, my friends and I used to watch it religiously, when season 2 rolled around we all stopped watching. It had become too much like a soap for my liking. I suppose that makes me a part of one of the reason's it was cancelled.

Too bad. Hopefully Star Trek will be resurrected with another new series soon.
      Fugly Space Babes: Spork one for Weir!
      Hussy of Babylon ~ Member of UHM

Comment

I think it was the whole 4 episode story arcs constantly. I think it has finally gotten better now that they have gone to single episodes, but it's to late.
        So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains,
        And we never even know we have the key.
        Already Gone---------
        The Eagles-----------

Comment

Originally posted by shockwave
          I read on trekToday forums that the romulan ship in the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" didn't have a warp engine, because it carried some heavy weapon, and there was no power enough for the warp drive. So there is no continuïty error with the warp drive.
          Well, I dunno...so I can't comment. I don't think this is true, but you probably know TOS better than me. I remember it being canon that the Romulans were pretty much inferior to the Federation technology-wise, until later, when the stole and retroengineered some tech and learned from it. Same with the Klingons.

Comment

I was sorry to hear this for its fans - we all know what it's like to lose a good show we enjoy - but I can't say I was terribly surprised. I never thought Enterprise was up to much and I reckon it only got as far as it did with four seasons because it was part of the Trek franchise. Anything else would have been killed off after its first season. The characters never interested me - apart from the dog. The dog was the only good thing in it for me - the plots didn't thrill me and the constant revisionist history just to suit their plots really bugged me. Not to mention the pathetic resorting to 'steamy' scenes whenever they thought their ratings were wavering.

Hey, wonder if this means more Ishta for S9? <G>
            Last edited by Albion; 05 February 2005, 05:56 AM.
            Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I think it's sad, but I guess everyone saw it coming. Is it the end of Star Trek? That certainly not. What I think is going to happen is that, if Enterprise does not get picked up by another network (Sci-Fi maybe) it will be a couple of years of re-runs. Then eventually there might be a new Star Trek movie, and if it is successful it will be back on television with a new series.

So Star Trek might actually be taking a break for a few years (as it did back in the 70s), but eventually it will be back. The really strange thing is that Season 4 of Enterprise is in my oppinion the best of the entire series, but it just came too late. This Season 4 should have been Season 1, Manny Coto should have been aboard since the very first day...

Also, I think it was a mistake after all to move Enterprise to Friday nights, since during the last two weeks it went straight up against SG-1. I had a bad feeling about that ever since I heard they were going to be on at the same time; unfortunately my bad feeling was right. Sure, the reason they moved it was because they were trying to avoid all the competition on Wednesday nights; but ironically Friday turned out to be no different.

So I'm not really surprised that it did happen; I am surprised it was announced this early. But that at least gives the writers a chance to write a final episode (just imagine the ending of "Zero Hour" would have been the end of the show, which was a possibility). Like I said, they could still get picked up by Sci-Fi; but I kinda doubt that will happen, as much as I'd love it; and after all it would be the first Star Trek series produced by Sci-Fi, which might be a reason for them to consider it. However, I've already heard that that's very unlikely; I could really see it happen if they'd move the production to Canada to get the lower costs, as pretty much every other sci-fi series is doing it, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't go through all that trouble. So yeah, I personally think they should have given it three more years just to get the traditional seven seasons, and then have Star Trek take a break. But UPN and Paramount didn't agree with that. Well, I guess this is it then... four seasons.

I'm one of the people who's always liked Enterprise, this season even more than before. The cast has always been great; it's certainly not their fault, they're not responsible for the stories, and they've been doing the best they could, even with the sometimes not so great stories they were given. So I think we should thank them all for what they've done over the years, and wish each one of them good luck with future projects.

It's truly a shame it had to come to this; it would have been nice to have a new series still around next year in September, which will be the 40th aniversary of Star Trek.

But everyone mark my words; eventually it will be back!
              Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

Comment

Can't say I'm surprised. I tried to watch this show many times, but couldn't get through too many episodes without channel surfing to something else.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

When looking at these star trek serieses we se how sucessful Stargate has actually been. I think it's because Stargate is nowhere near as geeky as Star Trek.

Comment

I kind of get the feeling that all those involved kind of were hoping for this. The comment about not shopping the show around, even though the syndication was picked up everywhere seems like the producers feel the show was a bust to begin with, which in a sense it was.

Remember the uproar about the theme song. Before the show even launched there was a lot of people upset with the show.
                    I think Enterprise was doomed by one single factor, incrediblely horrible writing. As many have pointed out, the story arcs just did not play well with the viewers. I have to agree somewhat. I thought the show was going to be about the "begining" of the Federation. So far, what exactly have they shown us about the Federation? Absolutely nothing. One reason people have always liked Star Trek was the "exploreing new worlds" concept. Enterprise seem to take the motto instead "To bodly write horrible episodes and destroy a once pround franchise".

Overall though, I think there is an arguement to be made about whether the franchise as a whole has just lost its magic. For the TOS, people could not get enough of there movies, but for TNG, it seems 3 was too many.

Comment

I feel really sad about this, especially because they've been trying so hard this year. The producers brought in some really good writers, but almost everyone had stopped watching already.

I don't go in for this Stargate/Star Trek competition thing. I've been a loyal fan of both series from the beginning. Yes, I admit it, but I was very young.

I think that the "Star Trek" concept has a lot of life in it yet. They've got to stop letting the producers write the stories. Only Gene Roddenberry should have been allowed that franchise. "Star Trek" was always at its best and most cutting edge when it used professional writers*.

Exception noted for David Gerrold, "Trouble with Tribbles"
                      Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

If anybody is interested in Enterprise's ratings since the beginning:

Enterprise Episode and Season Average Nielsen Ratings

The downward trend is obvious and disturbing. Season 4, to it's credit, is written light years better than the previous 3 seasons. But it may have been too little, too late to save the series. The viewers have not come back nor has Enterprise attracted new viewers, so what's left is the hard core fan base. UPN also should be noted for supporting the show. Any other over-the-air network would have canceled Enterprise after the 3rd season. The Sci-Fi Channel isn't an option, the cost per episode is about the same as their BSG series. Also, for those that don't know, this is Andromeda's final season.

Some of the actors have recently stated that Enterprise should have been darker and more character driven, a change from the tried-and-true ST formula to appeal to a new generation of potential fans. There was a lot of material that Enterprise could have explored about the early days of the Federation, but stories about the "Temporal Cold War", time travel episodes, etc etc plus the lack of contrast between the characters that could have lead to some humorous exchanges, made the series seem like it had run out of ideas. Time travel episodes are fine *once every other season*, but is not sustainable nor believable for a long run.

While the characters are pleasant, they are too much alike and vastly under-developed, and often disappear for a few episodes, leaving no time for the viewers to bond with them or begin to care about and follow the characters. That would indicate the writers have no idea how to use or develop them. The shippers wanted to see an Archer and T'Pol relationship, as it had been hinted in several episodes, but instead got a Trip and T'Pol tryst and that didn't last long nor was it popular. Archer never developed into a strong captain as past ST captains have in their own and unique ways. Stunt casting only spiked the ratings temporarily to the tune of "0.1" in the ratings.

Here's one cartoon that was posted recently and isn't too complementary:

In retrospect, Enterprise should have been placed in the future, sometime after DS9, TNG, and Voyager time-lines or rename the ship to something else and explore another part of the galaxy. I may be one of the few that actually saw every episode of Enterprise and wished that it could have been much more. Hopefully, ST will return soon and bring back that feeling of wonder and excitement of seeing what's out there.
                        Last edited by Sci-Fi; 05 February 2005, 11:12 PM.
                        It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Sci-Fi,
                          Hi. You were creeping me out because you took the same avatar. But I forgive you, because of your last post. LOL

Welcome. I saw your posts on Ancient's rhyming thread. Good job!
                          We are going to discuss this avatar thing. Did you say you were a beach bum, who has an interest in beach bunnies?
                          Last edited by Hatusu; 06 February 2005, 01:19 AM.
                          Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                            Sci-Fi,
                            Hi. You were creeping me out because you took the same avatar. But I forgive you, because of your last post. LOL

Welcome. I saw your posts on Ancient's rhyming thread. Good job!
                            We are going to discuss this avatar thing. Did you say you were a beach bum, who has an interest in beach bunnies?
                            lol...Musetta Vander, Shau'nac, is hot...so I just picked her for an avatar. Probably will change it when I find something else....lol

I belong to so many forums, sometimes I forget what I posted where... ... ...but it's ok...I see people have quoted my posts from other forums here at GateWorld. Hopefully I can add my insights and be informative and helpful at this forum....It's all fun

My job has me driving up and down the coast, so stopping somewhere, hanging out, and just enjoying the beach scene and meeting people is a side benefit.

But we are going way off topic. So I'll leave it there before the mods get upset.
                            It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

While the characters are pleasant, they are too much alike and vastly under-developed, and often disappear for a few episodes, leaving no time for the viewers to bond with them or begin to care about and follow the characters.
                              I thought this was just me. <g> It took me an incredibly long time in S1 to figure out who was who, the characters just blurred together. They were all too bland for me.

I had to laugh at the cartoon, SciFi. My husband was still watching Enterprise each week. I'd given up on it early in S2. Every week I'd ask, "Well, did it improve this week? Was it finally good?" and he'd say, "Not really. Pretty boring, crap plot." So I'd ask, "Well, why do you keep watching it if you never think it was good? We're up to S3 now, for pete's sake." And he'd say, "Well, you know...maybe it will get better one week."

Albion
                              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I was expecting this, so it really was no shock.

My problem: The biggest thing that discourages me is that Enterprise's funds are going to be used to make more reality TV. Yet another sign that our society is flushing itself down the toilet. I apologize if any of you enjoy reality television, but all that matters in this day and age is the almighty '$', and frak everything else, basically.

Thank God for shows like Stargate and Galactica.

Comment

Working...
                                X