Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    I have to agree with brother Defiant about over explaining the symbolism though. Look for example at the symbolism in SG1's the Changeling. It's also full of stuff like that, but no one's hammering it in, they're lettnig the viewers figure it out for themselves. Makes a better episode.
    I have to agree with both brother Starbase and Pitry. Great analogy by refrencing The Changeling, very well said Lady Pitry.

I rewatched this episode for the first time in a while the other day. The premise of it is pretty interesting, and I think Altovar makes a better than average villain by being portrayed as somebody who attacks by going after the best parts of your personality.

Garak performs well, although it's fairly obvious (and appropriate) by the end that he's really the villain. I'm intrigued by his description of Cardassian mystery novels, where as he puts it -- Garak: "Everybody is guilty. The trick is finding out WHO is guilty of WHAT". This is vintage Garak where you can't tell what's REALLY going on in his head (the way he's supposed to be, of course). I did think that the story got a bit rushed at the end, with a bit of choppy storytelling (ie O'Brien appearing out of nowhere, dead, in Quark's, and even Bashir's realization of who Garak is seemed a bit too sudden). It affected the overall flow of the story, but otherwise, it was still a pretty decent episode.

Comment

DS9 Season III Epsiode #63 Distant Voices

Background and Inside Information
      The working title of this episode was "Too Many Rooms". Joe Menosky's original idea didn't feature regular cast members in Bashir's fantasy, instead, different actors played different aspects of Bashir's life, such as 'Youth', 'Age', 'Joy' etc. The idea to set the fantasy on the station and use the regular cast was Ronald D. Moore's. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

Several other episodes featured a similar makeup process by which a character ages, such as VOY: "Before and After", but DS9's was the only one to be nominated for or win an Emmy.

Despite the fact that Bashir was an avid tennis player in his youth, this is the only episode of DS9 in which we see Bashir actually playing tennis. Inferring from Garak's "your service" line that Garak was serving, Bashir won the abbreviated match love-fifteen.

Much as director Corey Allen did in a scene in the episode "The Circle", director Alexander Singer shot the scene in the wardroom in one continuous uninterrupted take. When the episode was edited together, the scene was intercut with various close-ups and reverse angles, but the master shot of the scene was filmed as one long take. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

This episode serves to link up the first season episode "Q-Less" and the fifth season episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume". In "Q-Less", Bashir relates for the first time the story about mixing up a pre-ganglionic fiber and a post-ganglionic nerve in his final exams, a mistake which cost him his position as valedictorian in his medical class. In this episode however, Altovar points out that a pre-ganglionic fiber and a post-ganglionic nerve are nothing alike, and he speculates that perhaps Bashir mixed them up on purpose precisely so he wouldn't finish top of his class. This is confirmed in the episode "Doctor Bashir, I Presume", where we discover that Bashir is genetically enhanced, but has been as pains to conceal this fact his entire life. His deliberate mistake in the exam was an example of this concealment.

Although it later became an element in Bashir's attempts to conceal his genetic enhancements, the writers hadn't developed that concept yet, so the reason it was pointed out in this episode that a pre-ganglionic fiber and a post-ganglionic nerve are nothing alike was pressure from Celeste Wolfe, Robert Hewitt Wolfe's wife. According to Wolfe, ever since Bashir first told that story his wife had been bugging him to do something about it. In reality a pre-ganglionic fiber and a post-ganglionic nerve really are completely different, and as Celeste (a pre-vet) pointed out, no one would ever mix them up. As such, Wolfe explains, having Altovar point this out "was my way of saying, 'Well okay' to Celeste." (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

Nicole Forester (Dabo Girl) later plays the role of Nora on the Enterprise episode Horizon.

Awards: This episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Makeup for a Series. It beat VOY: "Faces" which was nominated in the same category.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
        Nicole Forester (Dabo Girl) later plays the role of Nora on the Enterprise episode Horizon.
        Sexy!, I thought she looked familiar when I rewatched it the other night.
        Originally posted by USS Defiant
        Awards: This episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Makeup for a Series. It beat VOY: "Faces" which was nominated in the same category. [/COLOR]
        That's right, DS9 did win an Emmy for that episode. Bashir did look quite aweful with all that make-up on, but considering that was circa 1996, not to bad.

Comment

So what does everyone think of the new Star Trek movie. I just watched the trailer and it looks alright. I mean you can't really tell by just watching a few scattered scenes, but it did look entertaining at least.

Check it out if you haven't already....

This one is kind of dark, you can tell someone snuck a video camera into a theater and recorded it.
          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQXw7-zHwI

Here's another one which is just some interview stuff and they also talk about bringing back the original score brom TOS, kind of cool.
          http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQXw7-zHwI

Comment

I fear it will be worse then Nemesis if thats possible.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

It's done by the same guys who gave us the deeply introspective Transformers, a movie that really made you think about the human condition. Of course it'll be great.
              Last edited by nx01a; 17 November 2008, 10:47 AM.
              sigpic
              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

After watching the trailer, I'm officially nervous.

Comment

I'm working on this essay on roundabouts. And every time I want to to write runabouts. Just something I find funny
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                    After watching the trailer, I'm officially nervous.
                    Me too.

Comment

I'm a bit sceptical about the new Trek movie going back to Kirk and Spock's early days. I still wonder why they couldn't have explored post Dominion war life. The universe is vast and there must be some more bad aliens out there and the Federation was more than a little shaken up with that conflict! It would have been interesting to see how it fares in the face of another threat so soon after.

I will watch it and see, taking the chance that it can't be worse than 'Nemesis'!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                        I'm a bit sceptical about the new Trek movie going back to Kirk and Spock's early days. I still wonder why they couldn't have explored post Dominion war life. The universe is vast and there must be some more bad aliens out there and the Federation was more than a little shaken up with that conflict! It would have been interesting to see how it fares in the face of another threat so soon after. I will watch it and see, taking the chance that it can't be worse than 'Nemesis'!
                        I think the writers are too afraid to do post-Dominion. One bad aspect of the Dominion War arc and Nemesis is that they have made the Federation a lot more stabe with their major rivals (Cardassian, Klingons, and Romulans.) . Still I am firm against going back Kirk era. I don't think you will go anywhere trying to relive the glory days. Which is why new enemies need to be developed.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I think the writers are too afraid to do post-Dominion. One bad aspect of the Dominion War arc and Nemesis is that they have made the Federation a lot more stabe with their major rivals (Cardassian, Klingons, and Romulans.) . Still I am firm against going back Kirk era. I don't think you will go anywhere trying to relive the glory days. Which is why new enemies need to be developed.
                          Well said brother jelgate. There is plenty of stuff going on in the Federation post Dominion War that they could have made a storyline out of. Or what's wrong with throwing the whole franchise a hundred years in the future after the Dominion War so they could introduce all new characters, new ship's, new technologies, new enemies, new allies ...etc... So much they could have done.

I mean didn't we learn our lesson with ENT. Going back is not a good thing when it comes to Star Trek. Going back and re-doing what is basically TOS 2.0 or -2.0 (if you consider that this TOS crew is younger than the original) basically reaks of desperation. I'm not impressed with the trailer, but you know I will be there opening day in line with all our brethren ready to watch it.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

It's because Kirk can be the sex idol for the white female 13-30 demographic while being the cool action dude for the white male 13-30 demographic. The entire trailer came down to Uhura taking her shirt off and a young Kirk driving... a car. God.
                            I'm hoping they don't mess up Spock. Sure, he may be younger and more volatile emotionally than the Nimoy version, but he's the only character I'm looking forward to seeing... Simon Pegg as Scotty still makes me slightly ill.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I;m just generally agaisnt prequals. Can't think of a prequal I ever enjoyed.
                              Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                              Yes, I am!
                              sigpic
                              Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                              Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                              Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                                I;m just generally agaisnt prequals. Can't think of a prequal I ever enjoyed.
                                Prequels just don't work. With sequels and spin-offs we develop cannon as the show or movies develop. With prequels the writers have to constantly check cannon. As ENT taught us its hard to always be in contact with cannon.
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X