Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
    Bobby Fischer was huge when I was growing up as kid in the late 1970's, when he destroyed the reigning Russian champion (Boris Spassky) for the world championship.
    I found myself kind of choked up a little when watching the Joker trailer. He looks so miserable in that clip. It will be hard watching that new Batman movie now.

Hellboy II and X-Files II should both be a hoot. Did you ever go see I Am Legend Trek_Girl (or anyone else)?. I hope that one comes to DVD soon.
    I too remember bobby fischer from the 70's. My hubby is a chess nut like fifth and has been mouring fischer's loss.
    as for ledger, he truly was a fine actor in the making. I always feel it is such a tragedy to see one so full of promise and talent lose thier life (or their mind like brittany spears has) and leave the rest of the world wondering "why?". what bugs me is that he was just 3 years older than my daughter and I can just imagine how his parents must feel. I truly believe that kids should outlive their parents, the other way around is so WRONG! I also feel for his sweet daughter and how she will only know her father through his movies. I heard an interview with freddie prinze jr discussing his father and how he has no memeories of him, just has seen recordings of him and has no idea what he was truly like a human being. that was very sad to listen to and you could hear the son's pain in his words.
    Last edited by Rac80; 24 January 2008, 12:49 PM. Reason: typo queen strikes

Comment

I found myself kind of choked up a little when watching the Joker trailer. He looks so miserable in that clip. It will be hard watching that new Batman movie now.

Hellboy II and X-Files II should both be a hoot. Did you ever go see I Am Legend Trek_Girl (or anyone else)?. I hope that one comes to DVD soon.
      I went and re-watched the trailer yesterday, and yes, it's definitely tough. I've been meaning to borrow Brokeback Mountain for months, as I've never seen it, but I'm thinking I'll hold off on that one for awhile. now It's supposed to be a sad movie to start with! It's always strange when an actor dies, especially a young one. It's not someone you know personally, but it's someone you're used to seeing, so it does feel quite emotional- especially as he was never one of the not-quite-sane stars that seen to fill the news every day.

Haven't seen I Am Legend (I didn't make it to any movies over the holidays! Too much going on! ), though that's one I'll definitely want to see on DVD, at some point.

The number one priority movie for me to go and see is U2 3D. I've been a massive fan ever since I can remember and was heartbroken that I couldn't afford the concert tickets back in 2005 when they were here, so this will be the next best thing- I'm hoping it'll be at the Victoria Imax soon.

Comment

I read the plot summary of I Am Legend and I was so disappointed that I don't think I can go watch it now. I understand that movies will deviate from the books they are based on, really I do, but the new movie version of I Am Legend is completely the opposite of the book's meaning! The main character isn't suppose to be a hero, he is suppose to be an unwitting villain! That's the *whole freaking point* of the book.

He "is Legend" because he, as a vampire murderer, has become as much a monster to the vampires (who have formed their own society) as the old legend of the Dracula was to humans. He travels around at the Dead of Noon and kills vampires as they sleep, and they are terrified of him. They have no way to stop him for he, as a human, has powers that they do not possess (like resistance to sunlight). He is a monster, he is a legend. The last of a dead race. But in the movie that is all gone, and he is just an action hero killing a bunch of undead freaks. Everything that made the story great is now gone. How devastating.

There's a difference between movizing a novel (or novelizing a movie) and completely re-writing it to the point where the very core idea has been flipped on its head. This is equivalent to the movie version of Harry Potter having Harry as a Voldemort loving bad guy who went around torturing people for fun.

EDIT: Errr, didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade with that rant.
        Last edited by gopher65; 24 January 2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
          I wanted to send an RIP out to Heath Ledger and especially Bobby Fischer who was one of my childhood heroes I tried to emulate. I grew up where I learned how to play chess at 5 years old. My mothers side of the family are Hungarian and all love to play chess so they passed it on to me. I was quite good all the way through high school and college. I haven't played in years so I would guess my skill isn't quite the same today.
          Ditto, brother Fifth Race. Both deaths were terrible tragedies. In fact, Ledger's death reminds me of the late River Phoenix's death at the Viper Club on October 31, 1993 and I have never actually gotten over it. It just breaks my heart when I hear someone who was very talented to die at such a young age. By the way, my dad is a big-time chess player like yourself, brother Fifth Race and has taught me to play the game. However, I've never actually gotten around to playing a complete game because I never really had one, despite the fact that I know how all the pieces are suppose to move! LOL!
          Have you ever remembered what life was like before you were born? That's how it will be like after you're dead.

Comment

Sorry I haven't been around but I got a nasty stomach bug that have my insides exploding right now, if I eat or drink anything it comes out 20-30 min's later so I am all hooked up to IV's and such. I should hope I'm better by next week, see you then.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
              The number one priority movie for me to go and see is U2 3D. I've been a massive fan ever since I can remember and was heartbroken that I couldn't afford the concert tickets back in 2005 when they were here, so this will be the next best thing- I'm hoping it'll be at the Victoria Imax soon.
              I have seen U2 live in concert a couple of times over the years. I wouldn't exactly call myself a big fan of there music, but I thought they rocked each time I saw them live, great show!.
              Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
              I read the plot summary of I Am Legend and I was so disappointed that I don't think I can go watch it now. I understand that movies will deviate from the books they are based on, really I do, but the new movie version of I Am Legend is completely the opposite of the book's meaning!
              I haven't seen I Am Legend either, I will wait for the DVD. Did you ever see the 1970's movie The Omega Man with Charelton Heston based on same Novella that I am Legend is based on?. That movie followed the written Novella a lot closer than I am Legend. The main character in The Omega Man is not protrayed as a hero but as someone who is starting to go mad and some what enjoys killing.
              Originally posted by Whitestar View Post
              Ditto, brother Fifth Race. Both deaths were terrible tragedies. In fact, Ledger's death reminds me of the late River Phoenix's death at the Viper Club on October 31, 1993 and I have never actually gotten over it.!
              Talk about a great young talent dying before there time. River Pheonix was a master at his craft. As you can tell, I am also a huge fan of his brother Whitestar.
              Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
              Sorry I haven't been around but I got a nasty stomach bug.
              I have been fighting a bug for about a week right now myself. Started with achy body, then a sore throat, and now congestion. I hope you feel better soon.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                I have seen U2 live in concert a couple of times over the years. I wouldn't exactly call myself a big fan of there music, but I thought they rocked each time I saw them live, great show!.
                I haven't seen I Am Legend either, I will wait for the DVD. Did you ever see the 1970's movie The Omega Man with Charelton Heston based on same Novella that I am Legend is based on?. That movie followed the written Novella a lot closer than I am Legend. The main character in The Omega Man is not protrayed as a hero but as someone who is starting to go mad and some what enjoys killing.
                Talk about a great young talent dying before there time. River Pheonix was a master at his craft. As you can tell, I am also a huge fan of his brother Whitestar.
                I have been fighting a bug for about a week right now myself. Started with achy body, then a sore throat, and now congestion. I hope you feel better soon.
                Me too. Hope this thread isn't contagious. I'm tempted to go and collapse on the couch in front of an afternoon of Trek on SPACE, but I'm not that sick as to use it as an excuse when there's work to do. And the episodes today aren't that good.

Comment

Me too. Fever, lethargy, etc. Dunno what it is, but I don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    Me too. Hope this thread isn't contagious. I'm tempted to go and collapse on the couch in front of an afternoon of Trek on SPACE, but I'm not that sick as to use it as an excuse when there's work to do. And the episodes today aren't that good.
                    Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                    Me too. Fever, lethargy, etc. Dunno what it is, but I don't like it.
                    Ok everyone wash your hands before you hit submit and maybe none of the rest of us will catch it!

Comment

Am I the only person is perfectly healthy? And I live in the middle of flu and cold country.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        Am I the only person is perfectly healthy? And I live in the middle of flu and cold country.
                        I'm stuck underground and no one else here is bloody sick, so I have no idea how I got sick, I flew myself here so I didn't have to fly there in a germ-tube.

Comment

I'm OK! I hope everyone gets well soon, can't have the DS9 thread looking like one of those quarantine centers from those apocalyptic movies!

Comment

nope I'm quite fine

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                            I'm OK! I hope everyone gets well soon, can't have the DS9 thread looking like one of those quarantine centers from those apocalyptic movies!
                            sigpic
                            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

That would be creepy. I'm ok too, btw. Which is actually a bit weird, I usually have a cold this time of year.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                              The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

I am healthy this year too. (got my flu shot ) and if I was so inundated by homework I could be here more! Often I log into gateworld and just let the computer sit there so if I decide to surf a bit... I am right where I want to be! get healthy again every one!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X