Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
    And, in addition to that, ageing causes interesting changes in brain chemistry over time (that I in no way understand. I don't like chemistry and I hate biology. Put the two together and I'm lost. I'm more of a physics kinda guy). Reasoning centres shift a little bit, and cause things like this (that's also part of the reason why people become locked in their ways over time).

On a somewhat related note, I recently read an article that said that people become naturally more suggestible as they age in a linear manner. The article said that this is one of the reasons why it is easier to con the oldest of the old out of their money (vacuum cleaner salesmen, timeshares, Nigerian scam, etc all target ancient people). Previously it had been assumed that this was entirely due to older people not being familiar with changing technology and slang.

It's interesting because I've noted this very thing in my parents as they've got older. They're only early 50's now, but they are already more suggestible than they were 15 years ago.
    LOL so mom and dad are "easy" are they? maybe they just got tired or arguing with you!
    On a side note, It has been found that keeping mentally active can stave off Alzheimers in some people, but then Alzheimers has also been linked to concussions. So be bright and don't get hit in the head!

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
      LOL so mom and dad are "easy" are they? maybe they just got tired or arguing with you!
      On a side note, It has been found that keeping mentally active can stave off Alzheimers in some people, but then Alzheimers has also been linked to concussions. So be bright and don't get hit in the head!
      Both excellent suggestions I heard that too, who would have known Sudoku could be good for you

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Doesn't look good for me then, had two concussions, my memory is not what it used to be.....look at my performance in the quizzes!!

....and....err what was I saying......ermmmmm......oh yes..... sudoku is something I just can't get my brain cell around, it would fry it if I tried to understand what you had to do for that!!!! The rest of my family love them, I just can't see the fascination.

I've never been a numbers or mental exercises sort of person. I prefer to analyze things and discuss them in a socialogical or historical context, more the arty flighty kind! Guess that's why I love Science Fiction, there is something there for all kinds of people!

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
          Both excellent suggestions I heard that too, who would have known Sudoku could be good for you
          yep, gives me a good reson for my soduku addiction!
          Originally posted by Krisz View Post
          Doesn't look good for me then, had two concussions, my memory is not what it used to be.....look at my performance in the quizzes!!

....and....err what was I saying......ermmmmm......oh yes..... sudoku is something I just can't get my brain cell around, it would fry it if I tried to understand what you had to do for that!!!! The rest of my family love them, I just can't see the fascination.

I've never been a numbers or mental exercises sort of person. I prefer to analyze things and discuss them in a socialogical or historical context, more the arty flighty kind! Guess that's why I love Science Fiction, there is something there for all kinds of people!
          LOL, as long as your mind is active it counts, doesn't have to be deeply scientific! DS9 would be a good mind exercise

Comment

So I take it I'm the only Dem here, lol. I'm one of the few officers on my base that's a dem too, well the civilians that work with me are mostly dems, weird, huh?

Comment

We should shun you
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
                So I take it I'm the only Dem here, lol. I'm one of the few officers on my base that's a dem too, well the civilians that work with me are mostly dems, weird, huh?
                Nah, you're not alone. Well, I would be a Dem, if I were American. But I quite like being a Canuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
                  no you're not
                  sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

It's all the same. Tory, Labour, Republican or Demecrat i'd trust them about as mu8ch as i'd trust a Ferengi or the Borg.

Comment

Originally posted by radiosgalore View Post
                      <snip>i'd trust them about as mu8ch as i'd trust a Ferengi<snip>
                      Quark is very hurt by this, just so you know.

Comment

Quark is very hurt by this, just so you know.
                        LOL he would be! He would consider himself a good honest scoundrel not like a politician!

Comment

On a somewhat related note, I recently read an article that said that people become naturally more suggestible as they age in a linear manner. The article said that this is one of the reasons why it is easier to con the oldest of the old out of their money (vacuum cleaner salesmen, timeshares, Nigerian scam, etc all target ancient people). Previously it had been assumed that this was entirely due to older people not being familiar with changing technology and slang.
                          That may apply for the very old. But I believe us middle age peeps tend to tighten up the purse strings and hang on to what we have compared to when we were younger. - We realize we are getting older and we have to think more about ourselves and save up for retirement. Almost like we go into personal survival mode.
                          Originally posted by gopher65
                          It's interesting because I've noted this very thing in my parents as they've got older. They're only early 50's now, but they are already more suggestible than they were 15 years ago.
                          Maybe your parents trust your opinions more now because you are older and more mature brother gopher. My parents are in there 70's and they have put there full trust in me to steer them the right way when it comes to making a lot of decisions. While my parents would'nt trust by little brother if there life depended on it.

I think a lot of older people that fall victim to a money scam are generally lonely people that appreciate the attention the con-artist is giving them, while not knowing they are getting scammed. I know here in San Francisco and Marin County they do not take scamming the elderly lightly, people that get caught doing this always get prosecuted and usually end up with serious jail time, as they should!.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

LOL he would be! He would consider himself a good honest scoundrel not like a politician!
                            LMAO watching season 5 as I write this. looks good!

Comment

I must resist from joining in on the political discussion. resistance is NOT futile.
                              It's all the same. Tory, Labour, Republican or Demecrat i'd trust them about as mu8ch as i'd trust a Ferengi or the Borg.
                              LMAO watching season 5 as I write this. looks good!
                              You get a lot of Quark, Rom and Nog in seasons 5,6 & 7. I envy you warching those epic seasons of DS9 for the first time radiosgalore, great stuff!.
                              The USS Defiant Rocks!
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Well it's nice not to be alone, I think I would be a Republican if I wasn't a scientist, I used to believe in the bible and god but once I went down my path that all went away real fast. Plus the money I make puts me in the upper class bracket.

Comment

Working...
                                X