Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
    As for Farscape, it has gone out of print, I've gotten the impression that the only place to find it now (especially the first two seasons) is ebay, and that it's very expensive. I got up to episode ten or twelve of season four, and now obviously the library can't buy the rest, so I'm stuck there.

You are not joking about expensive!!! I can't believe the price the 1st season of Farscape is going on Amazon CA for........ $400CAD!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
      You are not joking about expensive!!! I can't believe the price the 1st season of Farscape is going on Amazon CA for........ $400CAD!!
      Wow.....about a month ago I heard it was $200.

Comment

You get what you pay for.
        Want quality? Pay for it.
        sigpic
        More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Sorry I havent been on in a while, life has been getting better for me and it's been pulling me away from the forums. I'll be back soon.

Comment

You better
            *gets out blunt object*
            I know how that feels. Sometimes RL gets in the way for whatever reason.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Colonel Davis View Post
              Sorry I havent been on in a while, life has been getting better for me and it's been pulling me away from the forums. I'll be back soon.
              Life being good is a fine reason to be pulled away from the forum!

See you soon!

Comment

Waaaa? Farscape has gone out of print? That sucks. I've wanted to pick that up for a long time, but I wasn't willing to pay 100 dollars per season. And I'm certainly not willing to pay 400 dollars per season for a low quality chinese burn of the DVDs, which is what every DVD is on Amazon marketplace and eBay. At least that I've ever seen.

Comment

I'm going to post something fun tomorrow.

Comment

About out of print items like Farscape...there is always the option I think I may turn to, interlibrary loan. It depends on your local library's policy, but most do free interlibrary loan of all types of materials, including DVDs. This is a link to Worldcat, the database that most libraries have their records in: http://www.worldcat.org/ Looks like a lot of them have the first season of Farscape, nice. Gotta love your local public library.

Comment

Originally posted by marielabbott View Post
                      About out of print items like Farscape...there is always the option I think I may turn to, interlibrary loan. It depends on your local library's policy, but most do free interlibrary loan of all types of materials, including DVDs. This is a link to Worldcat, the database that most libraries have their records in: http://www.worldcat.org/ Looks like a lot of them have the first season of Farscape, nice. Gotta love your local public library.
                      Mine unfortunately can't get DVDs through interlibrary loan, I've tried.

Comment

I got Farscape Starburst Edition volume 1.1 for $50 on eBay a few weeks ago. Might seem expensive for 7 episodes, but it was actually a really good deal (the audio commentaries are great!). Now, where do I find 1.2...

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                        The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                          Did any of you ever watch a weekend show called Creature Features which was nationally syndicated in quite a few major media markets across the US back in the 1970's, 1980's & 1990's?.
                          Don't remember that one. But my sister and I used to watch a similar Sci Fi show and make up our own comedic commentary. I think that's one reason why Mystery Science Theater 3000 was popular. A lot of people did similar things in their own living rooms.

Really, Wormholes Extreme and 200 (Stargate) are similar ........

"Reverse Polarity!"

Comment

There is the ole foot-work/elbow grease way of finding Farscape season I. - I am sure there quite a few copies of it at some video store or other store that sells them, there just sitting there brand spanking new gathering dust.

I called my local Best and Circuit City and found copies of all the seasons of Farscape on DVD.

Persoanlly I am hoping that they one-day release Farscape DFVD Box Set's on Blu-Ray, I would love to re-watch it in Hi-Def.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                              Mine unfortunately can't get DVDs through interlibrary loan, I've tried.
                              Oh, that is a bummer. Mine can, so I think I will try that route. I've been able to get a number of books and movies through that service. I don't generally buy DVDs unless it's something I already know I love and will watch repeatedly, so this will be a good way to see how I feel about Farscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Weyoun View Post
                                Persoanlly I am hoping that they one-day release Farscape DFVD Box Set's on Blu-Ray, I would love to re-watch it in Hi-Def.
                                I don't know if that's possible without a huge infusion of funds, a la ST:TOS: Remastered. I haven't heard about Farscape, but I have heard about the problems they've had transferring Babylon 5 to regular DVD. I assume all Science Fiction shows will have similar issues transferring themselves to HD.

The problem is that while the original footage can be resampled from the film, the special effects were usually done with CGI in most shows after about 1995. This means that they'd have to completely recreate the special effects, since they don't normally save the original files (Why? Who knows.) And we all know how much it costs for CGI for just one episode of a show like Stargate or Star Trek or Farscape. Hundreds of thousands. Possibly even millions.

They'd have to be assured of a large consumer base for the product before they'd take a step like that. Star Trek: TOS has a huge fanbase (for some odd reason) and immense brand power. Even if people don't like the show, *everyone* has heard of it. Unfortunately Farscape doesn't have those things, and neither does B5. Maybe someday CGI will be cheap enough that we'll get those shows in high-def without a large investment that studios seem unwilling to make.

But for a preview of what it looks like if they just slap the show together without remaking the CGI, buy the B5 DVD set (not highdef, just regular DVDs). The CGI was done in 4:3, and the show was shot in 16:9. Oops. During broadcast they just cropped the 16:9 down to 4:3, but on widescreen DVDs that isn't an option. So they expanded the CGI and cropped off the top and the bottom. And it looks truly horrible. Fuzzy and low res. It's jolting when you switch from a pure film scene to one that has a greenscreen (or bluescreen) in it, cause the quality drops so far. Clear, fuzzy, clear, clear, fuzzy. It sucks.

Fortunately for us, Stargate was made to be broadcast in Widescreen, so it won't have that particular problem. But who knows how well the CGI will hold up. The only defunct show I can think of off the top of my head that won't have any of these problems is Enterprise, since it was originally intended to be broadcast in HighDef. It should be easy. I'm not looking forward to what DS9 will look like if they don't redo the effects though.
                                Last edited by gopher65; 31 March 2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X