Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
    I am going to start re-watching DS9 from the beginning starting in January (I got alot of free time from work this time of year ) I have all the seasons on DVD, so we will start the episode and season discussions from season I on in chronological order

I fixed the mis-spelling of your very cool name Anubis69 not 96
    Cheers! It's not cool sounding at all! Only cos my "Anubis43" account broke and i wanted a SG name, so went for the classic 69.
    haha.... sixty nine...

I could also do with the refresher, i only started watching them religiously from S3 onwards, so that'll do me wonders! Course, i missed the ep where the Tal Shair (or is it Shiar?) and the Obsidian Order try to invade the Dominion. I'm still kicking myself to this very day.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

I have been watching DS9 on Spike since they started showing it; it has been a lot of fun and I am seeing things I did't see first time around.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
        I have been watching DS9 on Spike since they started showing it; it has been a lot of fun and I am seeing things I did't see first time around.
        I know exactly what you mean Kliggins!. When I go back and watch DS9 and most of my favorite scifi shows I see and discover things about the episode and show that I either missed, forgot or did'nt understand the first time around.

I am really excited that Fifth Race wants to start DS9 episode and season discussions on this thread. I have all the seasons on DVD and will start watching from the beginning as well.

Where are you (what season) with watching it on Spike right now Kliggins?. I know Spike is very good about showing DS9 in order.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase
          I know exactly what you mean Kliggins!. When I go back and watch DS9 and most of my favorite scifi shows I see and discover things about the episode and show that I either missed, forgot or did'nt understand the first time around.
          I agree!, I pick up new or forgotten thing's when I re watch these great episodes. I also pay attention more to the details knowing that I have an understanding of how the episode is going to end.
          Originally posted by starbase
          I am really excited that Fifth Race wants to start DS9 episode and season discussions on this thread. I have all the seasons on DVD and will start watching from the beginning as well
          Excellent, so I won't be the only ultra-geek DS9 fan Just Kidding Starbase
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase

I am really excited that Fifth Race wants to start DS9 episode and season discussions on this thread. I have all the seasons on DVD and will start watching from the beginning as well.

Where are you (what season) with watching it on Spike right now Kliggins?. I know Spike is very good about showing DS9 in order.
            I think they are on two different years. I think the 12:00 showing is a year ahead of the 1:00 showing. I will have to pay attention to the years next time it is on. It has been annoying me because they have been showing Bond movies on Spike since last Friday. Grrrrr.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
              Probably my 2 most favourite sci-fi seasons
              add every thing except voyager, yes, i liked enterprise, and i agree

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins
                I think they are on two different years. I think the 12:00 showing is a year ahead of the 1:00 showing. I will have to pay attention to the years next time it is on. It has been annoying me because they have been showing Bond movies on Spike since last Friday. Grrrrr.

I hear you on the damn Bond movies, don't get me wrong I love all the Bond movies but it gets ridiculous when Spike shows the same set of Bond movies over and over for 2 weeks ST and DS9 should be back in another week or so.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

With all the recent talk about Garak and how he was exiled, I would like all my fellow Trek fans that follwed DS9 to list there favorite characters from DS9 and maybe a brief explanation why.

Favorite top ten regular DS9 characters:
                  1) Martok--best Klingon character ever.
                  2) Sisko--Kind of stiff the first few seasons but shined nicely afterwards.
                  3) Quark--brilliant acting, I really appreciated Shimerman.
                  4) Garak--mysterious, evil, gentlemanly, smart and always interesting.
                  5) Kira--really bugged me early on, but eventually learned to love the character.
                  6) Worf--continued his greatness from TNG, truly one of the greats!.
                  7) Odo--His bantering and relationship with Quark was piceless.
                  8) Bashir--another character I never liked originally (barely had any lines in the earl seasons) but by the end, he was golden.
                  9) Weyuon--what a great actor!
                  10) O'Brien, Jadzia, Jake, Rom, Damar--all honorable mentions (especially Damar)

I figured this was place to do this brother Fifth Race, knowing your love for DS9 and everything Star Trek.

Comment

Great idea to liven up the DS9 thread Starbase!. Great choices by the way!.

Here's my top 10 DS9 characters......

1) Garak....I wish he would have been a bigger part of the series!
                    2) Quark....What's not to like?
                    3) Sisko....Became great when he shaved his head
                    4) Worf....I loved Worf on TNG and loved him even more on DS9
                    5) Weyoun....Combs was brilliant, he was great as Brunt as well!
                    6) Martok....What a great character!, really put a great face on Klingons.
                    7) Kira....One hot, sexy and strong lady!, loved her alter universe/ego character.
                    8) Bashir....The Dr. was arrogant, whiny and always sticking his nose in stuff, but a great portrayal none the less.
                    9) Jadzia....Beautiful, smart, sexy and came across as very real.
                    10) Odo....He bugged me, yet his character was fascinating and played very well!.

Honorable mentions.....Jake, Rom, Nog, O'Brien, Female Founder (great portrayal!), Morn (best non talking character ever ), Kai Winn (bugged me to no end, but great actress!), Dukat (could'nt stand him but still enjoyed his character).

Alright my fellow DS9 brethern and even you fringe fans, lets hear it, thanx!
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Hmm.... This is gonna be tough.

1) Garak - Enigmatic. All i can say, apart from the guy was a genius.
                      2) Sisko - From S3-7 he was untouchable.
                      3) Weyoun - He was so cunning, it was cool.
                      4) Quark - Comic gold!! I loved his girly scream.
                      5) Dukat - If anyone was Dick Dastardly, it would be him! Lost a bit when he lost it, but that made him that little bit more dangerous.
                      6) Worf - Really came into his own on DS9. More humour and all.
                      7) Damar - I never thought i'd root for a Cardassian, let alone how much i did for Damar. In the end, i really didn't want to see him die.
                      8) Martok - I didn't like him at first, but after they got over the whole "old warrior" thing and he became the man. I really rooted for him in the end!
                      9) O'Brien/Bashir double team! - Classy. All i can say.
                      10) Jadzia - I agree with the Fifth Race's description. Textbook.

I'll follow suit with honourable mentions: Kira, Rom, Odo and the one and only Morn. And perhaps Ezri, cos i can imagine how hard it was for NdB to come into a show in the 7th season as basically the same character that was loved for 6 years. I preferred Jadzia and the Eri episodes weren't as good as others, but she had her moments.

DS9 really was the daddy, wasn't it?

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

/\/\/\ great choices guys! /\/\/\

My thoughts exactly on Damar! brother Anubis69, he was such a jerk when he was DuKuts lacky, but when he turned rebel leader he was great!. The chemistry and the back and forth between Damar and Kira was fanatastic!.

DS9 will be a smart and fresh scifi show 100 years from now, truly great.
                        Last edited by Starbase; 03 January 2006, 08:27 AM.

Comment

1. Garak- absolutely brilliant, intelligent with a very good dry sense of humour.
                          2. Dukut- he was the daddy, overconfident Alpha male. His voice was so cool!
                          3. Damar- cocky son of a ***** but had a very good death. A True Cardassian
                          4. Quark- very funny, he was the essential fun element in DS9
                          5. Wayoun- Jeffrey Combs has absolutely nailed this wormy and slippery character, an essential face of the Dominion
                          6.Sisko- gave the Federation some backbone and teeth, when it came to the crunch he could lead people in battle.
                          7.Odo- love him if only for his arguments with Quark!
                          8. The often overlooked Miles O'Brian. such a nice guy i feel as if i could have a beer with the man right now!
                          9. Not actually a character but the Jemhadar as a whole, able to give every race in the Alpha Quadrant a run for their money. Ethos seemed to be based on Japanese troops in WW2, very formidable
                          10.Worf. Great to watch, funny without even trying. Just a look was enough

Comment

I think this is one of the massive strengths of DS9, the fact you could actually struggle to choose your top 10 characters. The show is just packed with great well developed recurring characters as well as a strong main cast. I think a great hand has to be given to those who did the casting, some fine actors were brought on board like Alaimo, Robinson and Combs to name a few. Even some of the one off performances like the Cardassian in Duet who pretented to be that war criminal were great.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                              Hmm.... This is gonna be tough.

1) Garak - Enigmatic. All i can say, apart from the guy was a genius.
                              2) Sisko - From S3-7 he was untouchable.
                              3) Weyoun - He was so cunning, it was cool.
                              4) Quark - Comic gold!! I loved his girly scream.
                              5) Dukat - If anyone was Dick Dastardly, it would be him! Lost a bit when he lost it, but that made him that little bit more dangerous.
                              6) Worf - Really came into his own on DS9. More humour and all.
                              7) Damar - I never thought i'd root for a Cardassian, let alone how much i did for Damar. In the end, i really didn't want to see him die.
                              8) Martok - I didn't like him at first, but after they got over the whole "old warrior" thing and he became the man. I really rooted for him in the end!
                              9) O'Brien/Bashir double team! - Classy. All i can say.
                              10) Jadzia - I agree with the Fifth Race's description. Textbook.

I'll follow suit with honourable mentions: Kira, Rom, Odo and the one and only Morn. And perhaps Ezri, cos i can imagine how hard it was for NdB to come into a show in the 7th season as basically the same character that was loved for 6 years. I preferred Jadzia and the Eri episodes weren't as good as others, but she had her moments.

DS9 really was the daddy, wasn't it?
                              DS9 was really the mack daddy of not just the Trek universe and sci-fi, but one of the best well developed TV shows ever! (especially character wise).

Great choices Anubis69!, alot of Garak love on this thread (well deserved!). I love your choice of Bashir and O'Brien together! (I wish I would have said that), those two did have some great dedicated episodes. Good call on Ezri (I mistakingly forgot her on my honorable mentions list), Ezri was a solid character that was'nt going to have an easy time replacing the popular Jadzia, Ezri did great.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
                                I think this is one of the massive strengths of DS9, the fact you could actually struggle to choose your top 10 characters. The show is just packed with great well developed recurring characters as well as a strong main cast. I think a great hand has to be given to those who did the casting, some fine actors were brought on board like Alaimo, Robinson and Combs to name a few. Even some of the one off performances like the Cardassian in Duet who pretented to be that war criminal were great.

Well said Wolf, you seem like a pretty savy Star Trek fan, I would be very interested in your favorite characters and any take on why....Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X