Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anubis69
    Don't quote me on this, cos i only saw the odd episode of S2, but i think someone on here said that there was some sort of alliance or powerful group in the Delta Quadrant and it was just little hints being dropped? Like i said, i really don't know!
    *Quoted!*

Heh, I think you're in the wrong quadrant Anubis69 . However, there was a season 2 episode of Voyager where Janeway tries to create an alliance to fend off the Kazon.

Getting back to the Dominion, you are right about the first mention of the Dominion in season 2. The first time we hear of the Dominion was by those weird aliens with red painted faces in 'Rules of Acquisition'. I think they were called the Dosi, hmm... sounds familiar (Doci?) If I recall correctly, the main negotiator said that it would be unwise for Quark and his cohorts to seek out the Dominion.

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    I dunno why everyone hates on Enterprise. It's just as good as the other Star Trek series, and season 3 of Enterprise is one of the best seasons of Star Trek, bar none.

I will find myself watching all of them from time to time, from TOS to TNG to Voyager to DS9 to Enterprise.
    Well, I'm currently watching the final season of Enterprise on UK channel 4, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it so far. Personally, I don't think it is quite as good as the other Treks, the temporal cold war almost turned me right off it.

I'm a Star Trek completist myself, I have to see it right through to the end. I'll watch any re-runs of all the series and movies. In fact, I've been watching Voyager from the beginning again.

*note to self* I WILL watch Nemesis
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

*comes back to bite Anubis69 in the ass again * .... Is it hot in here or is it just me?!?!?! I really should stop putting my size 10's in my mouth...
      Don't fret Anubis69. Kliggins is not the most gender specific name and I am rather new to this thread.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
        I dunno why everyone hates on Enterprise. It's just as good as the other Star Trek series, and season 3 of Enterprise is one of the best seasons of Star Trek, bar none.

I will find myself watching all of them from time to time, from TOS to TNG to Voyager to DS9 to Enterprise.
        I have never said I hated Enterprise. I thought the last two years were very good. The second year sucked big time, but they did get back on track. I thought the series had potential that was never realized, but that is for another thread.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
          I'm a Star Trek completist myself, I have to see it right through to the end. I'll watch any re-runs of all the series and movies. In fact, I've been watching Voyager from the beginning again.
          I am a Star Trek completetist myself. Missster Freeman. I only saw the original in rerun and missed the first few episodes of TNG so when DS9 started I made a point to watch from the very beginning and did so with Voyager and Enterprise also. Then it seemed like the only thing to so was hang in to the end.

Maybe that is part of why DS9 is my favorite; it was the first one I watched from beginning to end on the first run.
          sigpic

Comment

*Quoted!*

Heh, I think you're in the wrong quadrant Anubis69 . However, there was a season 2 episode of Voyager where Janeway tries to create an alliance to fend off the Kazon.

Getting back to the Dominion, you are right about the first mention of the Dominion in season 2. The first time we hear of the Dominion was by those weird aliens with red painted faces in 'Rules of Acquisition'. I think they were called the Dosi, hmm... sounds familiar (Doci?) If I recall correctly, the main negotiator said that it would be unwise for Quark and his cohorts to seek out the Dominion.
            D'oh! Thanks for pointing that one out cap'm. My would my face have been red(er) if that had gone unnoticed. *goes back to edit that out*
            (Reminds me of that time in the "Calling all Scots" thread where i made a typo and said "West" instead of "East". If more folk had seen that, my head would've rolled. )

I can't believe you said a while back you were a "sci-fi noob"!! You know much more about Trek than you let on. Much more than me, that's for sure.
            Last edited by Anubis69; 19 January 2006, 12:54 PM.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

D'OH! Thanks for pointing that one out cap'm. My would my face have been red(er). *goes back to edit that out*

I can't believe you said a while back you were a "sci-fi noob"!! You know much more about Trek than you let on.
              lol, that's just me, I can be a sarcastic S.O.B sometimes (mostly) lol . But, aye, there's times when I just can't remember anything.

*edit* LOL I just read your edit

Originally posted by Kliggins
              Maybe that is part of why DS9 is my favorite; it was the first one I watched from beginning to end on the first run.
              If DS9 hadn't upped the antae from season 5 onwards, in terms of story arc, characterisation, battles, etc, TNG would've been my favourite Trek.

*edit* Heh, you were talking about reruns of TOS. LOL, I only watched TOS on reruns myself. I'm not that old
              Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 19 January 2006, 12:59 PM.

Comment

There's two other episodes where the Dominion are mentioned after what was rightly pointed out by Freeman as the first one. 'Sanctuary' where that race come through the wormhole and believe that Bajor is their safe haven. I think they said the Dominion had driven them off their world. Then you have 'Shadowplay' where the guy who invented the holographic village and had lived there for decades left his home world due to the Dominion. They're both in the first half of the season roughly. I think, though I could be wrong and please let me know if I am, that they're not mentioned again until the season's finale 'The Jem'Hadar' where the Vorta and Jem'Hadar first appear.

Comment

lol, that's just me, I can be a sarcastic S.O.B sometimes (mostly) lol . But, aye, there's times when I just can't remember anything.

If DS9 hadn't upped the antae from season 5 onwards, in terms of story arc, characterisation, battles, etc, TNG would've been my favourite Trek.
                  Do you think so? I find even some of the episodes from even Season 1 and 2 as gripping and intriguing as anything the rest of Trek served up and like yourself I consider myself to be a "completionist" as you said, I love all Trek.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
                    Do you think so? I find even some of the episodes from even Season 1 and 2 as gripping and intriguing as anything the rest of Trek served up and like yourself I consider myself to be a "completionist" as you said, I love all Trek.
                    Don't get me wrong, I was just as gripped through the earlier seasons of DS9, as I was all the way through TNG. The latter three seasons of DS9 just blew me away with some of the best science fiction ever.

Comment

No worries Freeman, I don't doubt you appreciation. I was just interested to hear you say that. What episodes from TNG do you feel can cut the mustard alongside DS9's best stuff? I hope no one minds or feels I'm dragging us away from Emissary.

Comment

There's two other episodes where the Dominion are mentioned after what was rightly pointed out by Freeman as the first one. 'Sanctuary' where that race come through the wormhole and believe that Bajor is their safe haven. I think they said the Dominion had driven them off their world. Then you have 'Shadowplay' where the guy who invented the holographic village and had lived there for decades left his home world due to the Dominion. They're both in the first half of the season roughly. I think, though I could be wrong and please let me know if I am, that they're not mentioned again until the season's finale 'The Jem'Hadar' where the Vorta and Jem'Hadar first appear.
                        Yes, I just checked Memory-Alpha , you're spot on with the episodes. One thing is still a mystery to me, is when the female Vorta suddenly fired a ball of energy from herself in 'The Jem'Hadar'. It never occurred later in the series and was never explained. I suppose the writers may have dropped that capablility of the Vorta. Does anyone remember it?

*edit* I just caught your post Wolf. GateWorld's been timing out on me tonight
                        No worries Freeman, I don't doubt you appreciation. I was just interested to hear you say that. What episodes from TNG do you feel can cut the mustard alongside DS9's best stuff? I hope no one minds or feels I'm dragging us away from Emissary.
                        Hmm, it's hard, but just IMO, some memorable episodes for me are - The Neutral Zone, Q Who, The Measure of a Man, Best of Both Worlds 1&2, Redemption 1&2, Tapestry. Phew... there are others, but I can't think right now and I'm digressing from the current topic.

Maybe we really should start a TNG episode thread? Hmm...
                        Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 19 January 2006, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Yes, I just checked Memory-Alpha , you're spot on with the episodes. One thing is still a mystery to me, is when the female Vorta suddenly fired a ball of energy from herself in 'The Jem'Hadar'. It never occurred later in the series and was never explained. I suppose the writers may have dropped that capablility of the Vorta. Does anyone remember it?
                          Funny, I thought about posting that. She also lowered a force field with her mind. I'm afraid we have to accept that the Dominion were slightly refined to make the show more viable after their initial stomp and romp over the Federation in 'Jem'Hadar'. The Vorta's mental abilities never appear again to the best of my knowledge and though one may argue they simply never decided to use them again on screen I would say for all intents and purposes the writers dumped this aspect. It doesn't fit the later role of the Vorta who are merely administrators, diplomats and essentially errands and go betweens for the founders. They're actually quite helpless and only maintain order through the white and through the white they possess the power and security of the Jem'Hadar to carry out the founders' will.
                          Last edited by Wolf Eire; 19 January 2006, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I you've summed it up about right Wolf. It would've made the Vorta too powerful. I have a feeling they toned the Vorta down because the TPTB were about to introduce the Changelings as the Founders. At first I thought the Vorta were the leaders of the Dominion. I remember what a surprise it was that Odo's race were the Founders in the Search - Parts 1 & 2.

The Founders had a very low tolerance of the Vorta if they didn't perform their duties. They were basically throwaway items to the Founders. It was always - "Go activate another clone and dispose of yourself", by the female changeling.
                            Last edited by Missster.Freeman; 19 January 2006, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I have to say though it is made relatively clear in Jem'Hadar that the Vorta are not the Founders. When she is in Ops and they've figured out she's Dominion Sisko asks her if she's a Founder and she laughs and says something condescending like "The Founders wouldn't reveal themselves to you" or something and then beams out.

The Dominion also beam through their shields easily. I think this can be explained though. If you consider how after 'Q Who?' in TNG we learned in 'The Best of Both Worlds' that the Federation worked overtime to try and develop technology to resist and fight the Borg. I would say they did something similar after 'Jem'Hadar' that the Federation went overtime and possibly even built on technology developed for the Borg just like they pulled out the Defiant. There was also a suggestion they used cloak. Where the hell did that Vorta go?

Comment

I have to say though it is made relatively clear in Jem'Hadar that the Vorta are not the Founders. When she is in Ops and they've figured out she's Dominion Sisko asks her if she's a Founder and she laughs and says something condescending like "The Founders wouldn't reveal themselves to you" or something and then beams out.
                                Ah right, I couldn't remember. I thought we never totally knew who the Founders were until 'The Search'.

The Dominion also beam through their shields easily. I think this can be explained though. If you consider how after 'Q Who?' in TNG we learned in 'The Best of Both Worlds' that the Federation worked overtime to try and develop technology to resist and fight the Borg. I would say they did something similar after 'Jem'Hadar' that the Federation went overtime and possibly even built on technology developed for the Borg just like they pulled out the Defiant. There was also a suggestion they used cloak. Where the hell did that Vorta go?

Aye, I think we never saw them walk through force fields later on. Did they use cloaks? I'm not 100% sure though, I'm trying to remember things from over 6 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X