Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skritsys
    And what better way to protect your money than in your stomach?

That was ingenious the way the writers came up with that idea.

What's up with Latinum, I guess it's in liquid form when its pure. I want some There were references to Latinum in TNG as well as DS9.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Morn had what like three stomachs?
      All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
      Pay it forward

Comment

Isn't it liquid, and it's pressed inside gold? Cos i remember Quark kept sayibng "Gold pressed latinum" and i always wondered what it was. Although i remember i think it must've been that ep where it's revealed it's to be a liquid inside the bar. To quote the ST encyclopedia:
        Valuable metal ingots used as a medium of exchange, primarily outside the Federation.
        Anyone know what ingots is/are?!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
          Do you mean the definition of an ingot? Well, an ingot is a bar or block of metal cast into a standard shape for easier handling.
          "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
            I stand corrected, I forgot about those shape-shifters. Did'nt it seem that the Founders had more of a problem giving themselves a truly human face, but had no trouble immitating things including humans...Very interesting stuff!.
            I thought the founders took on the same "not-quite-correct" look as Odo to make him more comfortable with them.
            "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
            " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
            Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
              Isn't it liquid, and it's pressed inside gold? Cos i remember Quark kept sayibng "Gold pressed latinum" and i always wondered what it was. Although i remember i think it must've been that ep where it's revealed it's to be a liquid inside the bar. To quote the ST encyclopedia:

Latinum when pure is in liquid form, what they meant by 'Gold Pressed Latinum', was Latinum that is blended with gold to harden it so it could be formed into brick's or smaller ingots.

I went through a handful of DS9 episodes yesterday where the key word was Latinum in the description and this is what I came up with.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by DragonGate
                I thought the founders took on the same "not-quite-correct" look as Odo to make him more comfortable with them.

That's an interesting theory Dragon....

I still think the founders had NO respect for solids especially humanoids. I think the ones that could make a more human looking face refused to, to spite us.

Comment

DS9 had Gul Dukat, one of the best villains ever. He’s a type of character you rarely see on tv or in movies. There have been plenty of tv shows/movies/books where a character is met with a tough moral dilemma something like giving up the location of a group of rebels so that a bunch of civilians can be saved but what we rarely see is what happens afterwards. Making the decision to choose the lesser of two evils is nothing compared to having to live with it, that is where the true conflict lies. Dukat is someone who chose the lesser of two evils; he was the lesser of two evils. In DS9 we got to see how Dukat lives with that decision, how he deals with it by lying to himself, thinking that just because what he did was "right" that it was not evil.

Comment

Gul Dukat started off as a good villain and then towards the end he kind of got downright laughable.
                    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                    Pay it forward

Comment

Actually it was a pretty logical progression of his madness. He was already insane at the beginning of the show. He committed evil during the occupation to prevent greater evil and he was hated for it. His couldn't handle that so he kept lying to himself, telling himself that because what he did was "right" it was not evil. He could no longer understand why the Bajorans hated him; after all, if someone else was in charge of the occupation, they would have burned all of Bajor to ashes. He started to think that the Bajorans are wrong and that he is right. Sooner or later that kind of cognitive dissociation will make a man truly insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                        DS9 had Gul Dukat, one of the best villains ever. He’s a type of character you rarely see on tv or in movies. There have been plenty of tv shows/movies/books where a character is met with a tough moral dilemma something like giving up the location of a group of rebels so that a bunch of civilians can be saved but what we rarely see is what happens afterwards. Making the decision to choose the lesser of two evils is nothing compared to having to live with it, that is where the true conflict lies. Dukat is someone who chose the lesser of two evils; he was the lesser of two evils. In DS9 we got to see how Dukat lives with that decision, how he deals with it by lying to himself, thinking that just because what he did was "right" that it was not evil.

I totally agree Giantevilhead!...Gul DuKat was a very interesting and deep character that did wrestle with his own personal dilemma during and after his reign as head of DS9 (Terrack Nor). I got the feeling he was all for the annexation of Bajour into a Cardassian world but still wanted to come off as a 'good guy' to Bajourans he knew or enslaved. I also got the feeling DuKat went with the flow to avoid confrontation and to appease his own conciousness. Anotherwords I don't think he lost to much sleep over what he did to the Bajourans under his rule. He sure was one helluva sleezy and good politician!.
                        the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead
                          Actually it was a pretty logical progression of his madness. He was already insane at the beginning of the show. He committed evil during the occupation to prevent greater evil and he was hated for it. His couldn't handle that so he kept lying to himself, telling himself that because what he did was "right" it was not evil. He could no longer understand why the Bajorans hated him; after all, if someone else was in charge of the occupation, they would have burned all of Bajor to ashes. He started to think that the Bajorans are wrong and that he is right. Sooner or later that kind of cognitive dissociation will make a man truly insane.

Again I totally agree. DuKat looked down on Bajourans as children that needed direction and discipline and he knew exactly what needed to be done in his convoluted mind. I don't think he suffered with to much regret about anything he decided or did.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Well that's the thing isn't it? TV shows, movies, and books only show the part where the protagonist has to make the tough choice in a moral dilemma because people always think that the choice is the hardest part but in reality, living with that choice is far more difficult. I mean if people were given the choice to end 10 lives in order to save 100 lives, most of them will choose to end the 10 lives but anyone who doesn’t put a bullet to their head after making that choice will be very unstable if not completely insane for the rest of their life.

Comment

I agree Giantevilhead that living with a life altering decision can be far worse or harder than actually making the decision!.

I just got the feeling that DuKat was more concerned about his place in history and what people around him (weather Bajouran, Human, Cardassian ...etc...) though of him personally than anything he did in the past. He was smug and arrogant like most all Cardassians but his image was what he worked at the hardest. He was definetly slimy and hypocritical to a tee. Damn I miss DS9!!!!
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Here's an interesting take on the various Star Trek series:

http://www.taemag.com/issues/article...cle_detail.asp

Apparently, he also thinks DS9 is the best Trek.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

Working...
                                X