X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat
    Here's an interesting take on the various Star Trek series:

http://www.taemag.com/issues/article...cle_detail.asp

Apparently, he also thinks DS9 is the best Trek.

Great stuff beachbrat!, thanx for posting it up, it is an interesting read!.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

DS9 was superior to all the ST series, TNG came close like you suggested Fifth.

I remember reading about the concept of the series being nased on a Space Station as opposed to a ship like all the other series and movies. I was'nt to thrilled about it, but when I heard the Avery Brooks and Colm Meany were gonna be part of the series my mind started to change. I loved Avery from his character Hawk from the Robert Ulrich series "Spencer for Hire". IMHO DS9 really took off towards the end of season 3.

Comment

INDEED!
        DS9 was so much better when Dukat really started to become more and more villainous.
        All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
        Pay it forward

Comment

Originally posted by skritsys
          INDEED!
          DS9 was so much better when Dukat really started to become more and more villainous.
          Without Garak, Gul Dukat, Damar and the Cardassians in general, I don't know how good DS9 would have been. I really hated the Cardassians till Damar became a de-facto rebel leader, not to mention them finally turning on the Dominion and the Breen in that epic battle from the episodes 'Dogs of War' and 'What you leave behind part I'.
          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Did anyone else really dislike the Breen? They were enigmatic and had immense tech (not to mention cool ships), yeah, but they really bugged me. sucking up to Weyoun and the Founder at every opportunity. Not to mention their lack of humour, even Weyoun (in a weird way) had a sense of humour. Speaking of which, i loved Weyoun, so cold and calculating yet so amusing. And also, i hated that suck up Cardassian that replaced Damar, the guy with the daft face who got executed in WYLB!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
              Without Garak, Gul Dukat, Damar and the Cardassians in general, I don't know how good DS9 would have been. I really hated the Cardassians till Damar became a de-facto rebel leader, not to mention them finally turning on the Dominion and the Breen in that epic battle from the episodes 'Dogs of War' and 'What you leave behind part I'.

Garak was my favouite character, fabulous actor, fabulous lines.
              The only character in SF to beat Jack O'Neil on the one liners.

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination"

You wouldn't trust him as far as you could throw him but he was so complicated and interesting character, always a joy to watch.

Dukat was another star, Wayoun too. DS9 had the richest palette of secondary and supporting characters of any Trek.

FF
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Frostfox

You wouldn't trust him as far as you could throw him but he was so complicated and interesting character, always a joy to watch.

Dukat was another star, Wayoun too. DS9 had the richest palette of secondary and supporting characters of any Trek.

FF
                Yep, I would go with that too. Marc Alaimo, Andrew Robinson and Jeffrey Coombs are all great character actors. They could really add flesh to their characters.
                "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis69
                  Did anyone else really dislike the Breen? They were enigmatic and had immense tech (not to mention cool ships), yeah, but they really bugged me. sucking up to Weyoun and the Founder at every opportunity. Not to mention their lack of humour, even Weyoun (in a weird way) had a sense of humour. Speaking of which, i loved Weyoun, so cold and calculating yet so amusing. And also, i hated that suck up Cardassian that replaced Damar, the guy with the daft face who got executed in WYLB!

The Breen started out as cool by helping Bashir, Worf, Martok, Garrack and couple others against the Dominion soldiers when they tried to escape from the Dominion asteroid prison, the Breen was vaporized .

The Breen did have those cool organic biological Starships with cloaking devices. They also had some powerful phaser type weapondary for those ships.

LOL on Damars replacement!!! He was rather unique looking for a Cardassian
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

FF

^5, well said and I could'nt agree more!. Jefferey Coombs, Armin Shimmerman, Marc Alaimo among many many other's made DS9 superior, and not only for a sci-fi show but for all of television!.

I notice when I go back and watch episodes from any of the 7 seasons I have on DVD, I pick alot of Garak related ones.
                    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                      ^5, well said and I could'nt agree more!. Jefferey Coombs, Armin Shimmerman, Marc Alaimo among many many other's made DS9 superior, and not only for a sci-fi show but for all of television!.

I notice when I go back and watch episodes from any of the 7 seasons I have on DVD, I pick alot of Garak related ones.
                      This isn't meant as a dig, but personally, I found the supporting cast better written than some of the main cast of the other Treks, particulary the later ones.
                      We found out more about Daddy Dearest (Enabrin Tain) in the two or three episodes he was in than in 7 years of poor Harry Kim's screen time - what a waste.

FF
                      sigpic

Comment

Dr. Julian Bashir: "They broke seven of your transverse ribs and fractured your clavicle."
                        Elim Garak: "But I got off several cutting remarks which no doubt did serious damage to their egos."

---

Elim Garak: "Kiss the girl, get the key... they never taught us *that* in the Obsidian Order."

I love Garak.

I agree Frostfox. I don't know how they did it, but DS9 did a lot in their seven years than any other Star Trek series to date.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGator5
                          I love Garak.

I agree Frostfox. I don't know how they did it, but DS9 did a lot in their seven years than any other Star Trek series to date.
                          And I don't think the other series are bad, per say, even though I wasn't a fan of them, I think as TVSF goes, all the Star Trek series have their merits.
                          But DS9 just had that little something more, a subtle ambiguity, black and white not so clearly defined. It could have been even darker, for my tastes, and there are episodes I never, ever want to see ever again but overall, it was a joy and it wasn't just the main cast who made it, the supporting cast truely had a supporting role to play and added to the richness.

I liked B5 too for the same sort of reasons and the new SG1 enemy, the Ori have a DS9 air to them, I sat there at the end of several episodes in season 9 going 'How the buggering hell do we beat them? How do you beat an ideology?' I like that sort of dramatic tension.

FF - looking forward to the second half of season nine!
                          sigpic

Comment

DS9 just had that little something more, a subtle ambiguity, black and white not so clearly defined. It could have been even darker, for my tastes, and there are episodes I never, ever want to see ever again but overall, it was a joy and it wasn't just the main cast who made it, the supporting cast truely had a supporting role to play and added to the richnes.

One of things that made DS9 stand out more than other ST series is at least half the characters whether they were repeating regulars or guest stars were not Starfleet personel. That made alot of characters more interesting, plus the vast array of different alien cultures added to the diverse mix of characters. I am always amazed that the writers were able to come up with such a wide array of cultures and back stories to the alien characters. It really made you feel for and even relate to alot of them. Alot of characters introduced in passing on TOS and TNG, we got to see and learn about in depth on DS9.
                            the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

FF

I'm gonna jump on the Garak bandwagon with you guys, I loved Garak and even DuKat to a degree. The whole Cardassian angle on Star Trek has been very intriguing.

Garak's and O'Neills dry sense of humor arew some of the best in all of television. I never get tired of Garak's wisdom and take of humanity, Garak basically turned Bashir from a boring geeky character to a fantastic part of the cast.

Comment

Garak was the consumate Cardassian, arrogant, obnoxious, a gentleman, smart, cunning, untrustworthy and will always be #1 in my book for Cardassians. But the way Damar turned himself around and eventually sacrificed himself for the good of his people and planet made him an unforgettable character!.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X