Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    Another great review brother jelgate. I gave The Siege a re-watch last night and enjoyed it immensely.

The Siege was probably the weakest (but still a great episode) of the overall stellar III-parter, which wraps the plot up nicely - but unlike the first two parts there's more a sense that the story's events were pre-planned by a writing team than they followed inevitably from the setup of the story.
    I personally rank The Siege as #2. It didn't have that balance as The Circle but their was a sense of urgency and excitment as our crew races against time to thrawt the Circle. It was more exciting and interesting then The Homecoming

Switching gears to TNG I watched Dark Page the other night. As said before I usually don't care for Lwaxana and her eccentries. I shouldn't admit this episode almost brings tears to my eyes. I think Majel Barret did a fantastic job at the end when we learn the source of her coma and repression. What caring parent wouldn't be devesataed if that happened to their child? I don't know its something I can releate to and somewhat explains her eccentries. Its one I really like.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Switching gears to TNG I watched Dark Page the other night. As said before I usually don't care for Lwaxana and her eccentries. I shouldn't admit this episode almost brings tears to my eyes. I think Majel Barret did a fantastic job at the end when we learn the source of her coma and repression. What caring parent wouldn't be devesataed if that happened to their child? I don't know its something I can releate to and somewhat explains her eccentries. Its one I really like.
      This is a very interesting episode at first. I love the aliens who are so telepathic they have no need for verbal words, but must relearn how to speak in order to join the Federation. Another detail I liked was that they literally couldn't speak and needed a special device to amplify their weakened vocal chords. Then the episode turns into a chick-flick lolol. I did enjoy Lwaxana calling Worf "wolf" again. And she was pretty cold when she told Work and Riker there "Brains aren't sophisticated enough". I did enjoy the scene where Data uses his experiences dreaming to help Troi figure out what's going on with Lwaxana.
      The USS Defiant Rocks!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

The Siege was probably the weakest (but still a great episode) of the overall stellar III-parter, which wraps the plot up nicely - but unlike the first two parts there's more a sense that the story's events were pre-planned by a writing team than they followed inevitably from the setup of the story.
        I also gave The Siege a rewatch last night after reading brother jelgates very good review. I found it a very entertaining and credible wrap-up of the situation providing plenty of interesting intrigue, but there's also a great deal of lackluster action mired in here - The bloodless phaser fight on the promenade lacked punch, and scenes where Quark hauls his latinum through the air shafts are waste of screen time. On the other hand, the fresh action sequences where Kira and Dax fly to Bajor in a run-down ship that's been sitting since the resistance days are both engaging and quite hilarious - and incredibly well done.
        The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by rien View Post
          what is the title of the episode also is it part of the latest series or one of the previous ones since criminal minds gets repeated so often (its pleasantly surprising the amount of times i come accross criminal minds whilst channel hopping)
          It's the new season, season 5 ep 12 "The Uncanny Valley"

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
          Waves hello to Lady Linda

Sweet, I always enjoy seeing our favorite Star Trek characters/actors on different television shows and movies. I remember reading recently that Alexander-I like to change my name-Siddig (Dr. Bashir) is joining the BBC series Primeval as a regular. I watched a few episodes from S1 a couple of years ago and thought it was ok. But now that Siddig is joining the show I will give it another chance.

I also noticed while reading online last night, that on this date in 1993 the DS9 S1 episode The Storyteller first aired. Which the wife and I rewatched after we saw our San Jose Sharks whoop the Detroit Red Wings to take a 2-0 lead in the NHL playoffs. I will post up a mini-review after I create one.
          Yep Alexander Siddig will be in Primeval. I love that show. The second season is better than the first
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
            This is a very interesting episode at first. I love the aliens who are so telepathic they have no need for verbal words, but must relearn how to speak in order to join the Federation. Another detail I liked was that they literally couldn't speak and needed a special device to amplify their weakened vocal chords. Then the episode turns into a chick-flick lolol. I did enjoy Lwaxana calling Worf "wolf" again. And she was pretty cold when she told Work and Riker there "Brains aren't sophisticated enough". I did enjoy the scene where Data uses his experiences dreaming to help Troi figure out what's going on with Lwaxana.
            I think chick flick is a little extreme. It was defiantly more dramatic then the average episode but a little character exploration every once in awhile is a good thing. As a character I never really cared it explored a different side Lwaxana and explained a little why she is how she is. It was just something I could sympathize with
            Jelgate is right

Comment

I also gave The Siege a rewatch last night after reading brother jelgates very good review. I found it a very entertaining and credible wrap-up of the situation providing plenty of interesting intrigue, but there's also a great deal of lackluster action mired in here - The bloodless phaser fight on the promenade lacked punch, and scenes where Quark hauls his latinum through the air shafts are waste of screen time. On the other hand, the fresh action sequences where Kira and Dax fly to Bajor in a run-down ship that's been sitting since the resistance days are both engaging and quite hilarious - and incredibly well done.
              Kolbe's direction is fantastic and the production is impressive, although the story's ending is less than what it could have been - IMHO the danger recedes a little too quickly, the Circle's coup disintegrates a little too neatly for my taste, and the roles of characters like Jaro and Winn in the plot feel somewhat unfinished. Also, the rather meaningless death that gets Li Nalas "off the hook" (while effective as closure for his character) shows how much potential has been lost by simply deleting the character. The overall effect of this finale is good, but not up to what came before.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I'm kind of sucker for sad/somber episodes, especially from TNG, and Dark Page fit's the bill perfectly. As most of you know, I am a big Lwaxana fan, who is usually used for comic relief, but it's nice to see the serious side of her sometimes (as we also saw in the great TNG episode Half a Life). It's also quite a bold thing for a TV show to really explore the loss of a child, this episode is brilliant on many levels.
                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

I'm kind of sucker for sad/somber episodes, especially from TNG, and Dark Page fit's the bill perfectly. As most of you know, I am a big Lwaxana fan, who is usually used for comic relief, but it's nice to see the serious side of her sometimes (as we also saw in the great TNG episode Half a Life). It's also quite a bold thing for a TV show to really explore the loss of a child, this episode is brilliant on many levels.
                  While I've always had the impression that Dark Page isn't the most popular of episodes, I do agree with what you're saying. I quite enjoy it too.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

(as we also saw in the great TNG episode Half a Life).
                    David Ogden Stiers (Major Winchester from M*A*S*H) as Timicin was excellent in the rather mundane TNG season 4 episode Half a Life. To me, the episode was basically unsalvageable once Lwaxana came to her daughter wailing over the fact that Timicin must die "JUST BECAUSE HE'S SIXTY!"
                    The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

David Ogden Stiers (Major Winchester from M*A*S*H) as Timicin was excellent in the rather mundane TNG season 4 episode Half a Life. To me, the episode was basically unsalvageable once Lwaxana came to her daughter wailing over the fact that Timicin must die "JUST BECAUSE HE'S SIXTY!"
                      First of all I am shocked that you and brother Fifth disagree on Trek I thought you guys (with brother Starbase) always agreed on Trek matters

I have to agree with brother Fifth with this one. It shows another side Lwaxanna and showing how it pains her to see a person she cares about die because of what she sees as an archaic ritual. Its meant to show a caring and compassionate side. As well as portray a culture that we as an audience would find insane
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

First of all I am shocked that you and brother Fifth disagree on Trek I thought you guys (with brother Starbase) always agreed on Trek matters
                        Great minds think alike. You can blame brother Fifth Race for getting both brother USS Defiant and myself hooked to Star Trek. Neither of us two watched any Trek what-so-ever before brother Fifth made us sit down and watch TNG with him when it originally aired. He also got us both into Stargate which we used to watch on Saturday nights at brother Fifth's house because he was the only one who had Showtime. The good ole days.
                        Originally posted by jelgate
                        I have to agree with brother Fifth with this one. It shows another side Lwaxanna and showing how it pains her to see a person she cares about die because of what she sees as an archaic ritual. Its meant to show a caring and compassionate side. As well as portray a culture that we as an audience would find insane
                        I am going to agree with brother USS Defiant on this one - Lwaxana is right. (Her message is fine, even if I still want to shoot the messenger) Far be it for me to judge a fictional belief, but Timicin's society's custom is just plain silly, and based on all kinds of nonsensical logic and assumptions about the dignity of death in the face of aging, and avoiding getting so old you're soiling yourself, or whatever. I guess the point here seems to hint at our own society's general disregard for the elderly. But just as is the TNG episode "The Loss", which was an ineffective allegory for disability, "Half a Life" is a failed allegory for getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
                          Great minds think alike.
                          And fools seldom differ
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                            And fools seldom differ
                            Well if anyone was know it would be you
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Well if anyone was know it would be you
                              sigpic

Comment

Invasive Procedures
                                This is esentially a bottle show. Not very many visual effects and all of it is on existing set with a few guest stars. Despite this obviousness I like this episode. Its some more insight into how the Trill culture is organized. Its one of my complants in DS9 about how little of the Trill culture we learned about over the years. Sure we learned a significant part of them through Jadzia and Ezri over the years but its nothing compared to how much was learned about the Bajorans. So I really like that this talks about the Trill society and the Dax symbiote. This episode isn't really about Jadzia but the Trills.

It beautifully shows how difficult the normal Trill strive to get a symbiote and just how many of them feel when rejected. Obviously most won't go as far as Verad did but still it portrays just how rejected applicants will go. Speaking of Verad I love his interaction with Sisko. Two former friends turned enemeies has so much tension. Speaking of tension the action of Jadzia's friends watching her die is a little sad especially Julian's remak how sorry he is when he removes the symbiot.

Finally it was Quark's fault the station was boarded in the first place. He should have been thrown in some Bajoran prison for that
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X