No announcement yet.

Deep Space 9 Superior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. I really didn't like The Storyteller either.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Storyteller (as I previously watched it in my rewatch) isn't about the story. Because quite frankly the plot weak. Its about the character interactions. Its the foundation of the O'Brien/Bashir friendship and the Nog/Jake frienship thats important. As any DS9 vetern knows they are quite strong in the later years
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Most definitely, but I think a balance between the two is important for a strong episode. It's hard to take character interactions seriously when they're in the context of metaphysical ludicrousness.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Most definitely, but I think a balance between the two is important for a strong episode. It's hard to take character interactions seriously when they're in the context of metaphysical ludicrousness.
          Agreed. When I think of Bashir/O'Brien character development, then 'The Storyteller' would be a bad episode but a season later, there was 'Armageddon Game' which had a much more enjoyable, interesting and better plot. I think fighting for their lives works much better than a cloud.

sigpic

Comment

The Circle
            I know I said The Homecoming was kind of slow and I stick by that assessment. But the following two episodes make up for that slowness. A lot of times DS9 has these episodes have virturally no story just building of the character and other times it has a big plot with some characterization. But this episode is both. The first half is about Kira and her assessment of the situation. More importantly its an assessment of Kira think she is. A postion is highlighted in her Orb experence

In the background of that story is the issue of The Circle and how they are basically starting a war with the provisional government. But you don't really think about it because its just Odo doing his normal investigating. That is until Kira get kidnapped. That is when the Circle stage and we realize how deep this terrorist group stretches. Although a minor compliant is I thought the phaser fight to free Kira was too easy.

After this is when we lean that the Cardassians are the ones who are behind the Circle which given their sinister agenda isn't too difficult to believe. On a final note I love how Adm Chakote (not to be confused with Voyager's 1st officer) tells Sisko to evactuate and yet while Sisko doesn't disregard the order he twists it so he gets left behind when The Circle. I love that about Sisko. He doesn't blindly follow the admirals' order like a certain bald Frenchmen. He is more human in that regard.

The Siege
            This is pure action. That is not to say their aren't character moments but its mostly action. Rather if your follow Kira and Dax in the Bajoran shuttle that probably rivals the Prophet age or if you watch Sisko and company protect the station its action. But before I get to that let me say I laugh at Quark being left behind. He deserved it.

The banter between Dax and Kira in the shuttle and Bajoran moons is hilarious of Kira is used to arachic technology and lifestyle while Dax isn't use to this harshness. I particularly like to the line where Kira tells Dax to navigate "on the seat of her pants." On a more serious side the friendship between Dax and Kira is really shown when despite an injured Kira ordering Dax to move on to the Capital, Dax blindlfully ignores her

Sisko is the leader of Deep Space Nine for a reason. He knows how to strategize. Its interesting to see just for how long he is able to outsmart the occupying Bajoran task force. Although I think Li Nalas and Bashir helped a little. Speaking of Li Nalas that ending where he sacrifices himself to save Sisko is why I think he is and was always a hero. It speaks to who he was as in both instances that he cared more about others then his own well-being. That simple definition to me is a hero.

On a final note these episodes show once again how Winn is an expert of using her religion position to sway people her side and then backstab them to further her own goals. Minster Jaro was nothing more then a puppet
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              The Storyteller (as I previously watched it in my rewatch) isn't about the story. Because quite frankly the plot weak. Its about the character interactions. Its the foundation of the O'Brien/Bashir friendship and the Nog/Jake frienship thats important. As any DS9 vetern knows they are quite strong in the later years
              Well said brother jelgate. The Storyteller was really the first DS9 episode where Bashir and O'Brien were teamed up. Dropping O'Brien unwittingly and unwillingly into the middle of a Bajoran ritual situation is successfully milked for all rather low-key comedy it's worth. Meaney plays the role straight/flabbergasted over being mistaken as the successor to the village's dying Sirah, which proves to be one of the episodes best ideas. IMHO what does not quite work is the idea of the Dal'Rok (the fantasy-like cloud of darkness that feeds off negative emotions to threaten the village) which is rather
              ridiculous.

The B-story, involving Jake and Nog's adolescent mayhem and the way they come to know Varis, is very entertaining. Especially the scene where the three of them breaking into Odo's office to steal his bucket. LOL There's not much depth in this episode, but the execution definitely makes it good for some genuine smiles.
              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

The CircleI know I said The Homecoming was kind of slow and I stick by that assessment. But the following two episodes make up for that slowness. A lot of times DS9 has these episodes have virturally no story just building of the character and other times it has a big plot with some characterization. But this episode is both. The first half is about Kira and her assessment of the situation. More importantly its an assessment of Kira think she is. A postion is highlighted in her Orb experence
                Very well stated brother jelgate. Like the first part, The Circle manages to tell a lot of story while still maintaining a respectably slow pace. Kira's time at a Bajoran monastery proves to be quite interesting - the idea of Kira trying to be "useless" seems exactly the opposite to her personality. And her encounter with the orb as she explores her pagh is very powerful - the imagery works quite well, while the symbolism and foreshadowing proves incredibly intriguing.
                The USS Defiant Rocks!
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb1MkhBytFw
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8N1P...eature=related
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRquZ...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by USS Defiant View Post
                  Very well stated brother jelgate. Like the first part, The Circle manages to tell a lot of story while still maintaining a respectably slow pace. Kira's time at a Bajoran monastery proves to be quite interesting - the idea of Kira trying to be "useless" seems exactly the opposite to her personality. And her encounter with the orb as she explores her pagh is very powerful - the imagery works quite well, while the symbolism and foreshadowing proves incredibly intriguing.
                  I found Minister Jaro as completely believable - I love how DS9's political backdrop allows an analysis of events in The Circle to unfold - Jaro isn't simply a villain, he's an adamant man who, in his mind, has been forced into the direction he has taken and sets his sights for it. Such characters and their actions make for a compelling story that's completely believable.
                  the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
                    I found Minister Jaro as completely believable - I love how DS9's political backdrop allows an analysis of events in The Circle to unfold - Jaro isn't simply a villain, he's an adamant man who, in his mind, has been forced into the direction he has taken and sets his sights for it. Such characters and their actions make for a compelling story that's completely believable.
                    I think Jari was nothing more then Winn's puppet to get power. She may not have been part to the Circle but she was using Jaro to become Kai. I don't think even he was aware of this. He thought his Circle was helping Bajor but the Circle was used to just to get Winn influence. I think we can agree it fits Winn's personality
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I think Jari was nothing more then Winn's puppet to get power. She may not have been part to the Circle but she was using Jaro to become Kai. I don't think even he was aware of this. He thought his Circle was helping Bajor but the Circle was used to just to get Winn influence. I think we can agree it fits Winn's personality
                      I think it was the other way around. Jaro wanted to control Bajor and even if he controlled the government, there was still one position that could be a major obstruction to his plans would be the Kai. Jaro, knowing Winn wanted power, could have made her Kai and ultimately secured himself the religious power of Bajor as well as the political.

He was the political equivalent of Winn and I think she would have slept with the devil 7 seasons earlier to get it, instead of waiting for Dukat. Winn was just smart enough (if I remember the episode right) to be able to distance herself from him when it all turned to crap.

sigpic

Comment

Just watched "In The pale Moonlight" it is such a great episode. Very dark, and has a lot to say. DS9 when it's good, boy is it good.

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
                          Just watched "In The pale Moonlight" it is such a great episode. Very dark, and has a lot to say. DS9 when it's good, boy is it good.
                          Very well said Starrtom. In the Pale Moonlight is one of those rare episodes that plays like a movie, utterly brilliant!. It is definitely one of the best scifi, let alone Star Trek, shows ever produced.
                          The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                            He was the political equivalent of Winn and I think she would have slept with the devil 7 seasons earlier to get it, instead of waiting for Dukat. Winn was just smart enough (if I remember the episode right) to be able to distance herself from him when it all turned to crap.
                            I found some of the pacing from The Circle suspect, particularly some slightly off-kilter scenes involving Vedek Winn. Two of her extended dialog scenes - one involving her and Jaro, and the other involving her, Bareil, and Kira, drag on longer than they should, and they don't quite have the powerful payoff they deserve. Such dialog isn't on the level of Sisko and Li Nalas' discussion in "The Homecoming."
                            The USS Defiant Rocks!

Comment

I've wondered why Brother Fifth that you haven't started a Star Trek DS9 book reading thread. It would be interesting to see you guys discuss current things.

I'd like to do it. We could assign chapters just like a book club and discuss them every week.

Comment

[The Siege
                                This is pure action. That is not to say their aren't character moments but its mostly action. Rather if your follow Kira and Dax in the Bajoran shuttle that probably rivals the Prophet age or if you watch Sisko and company protect the station its action. But before I get to that let me say I laugh at Quark being left behind. He deserved it. On a final note these episodes show once again how Winn is an expert of using her religion position to sway people her side and then backstab them to further her own goals. Minster Jaro was nothing more then a puppet
                                Another great review brother jelgate. I gave The Siege a re-watch last night and enjoyed it immensely.

The Siege was probably the weakest (but still a great episode) of the overall stellar III-parter, which wraps the plot up nicely - but unlike the first two parts there's more a sense that the story's events were pre-planned by a writing team than they followed inevitably from the setup of the story.
                                the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Working...
                                X