No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla/Helen Magnus Shipper Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys I'm makin a fanfiction... so should Nikola's nickname be nikki or niko?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamTeslen View Post
      Hey guys I'm makin a fanfiction... so should Nikola's nickname be nikki or niko?
      Oh, there are several opinions on this one. It looks like the majority of fans prefer no nickname at all. Others use Niko or Nikki. Altho "Nikki" reminds me too much of Dr. Coates from Resistance...
      And last but not least, the real nickname for Nikola is Nidza/Nidzo in Serbian. It's also how RL Tesla's mother was calling him.
      "Are you like, a crazy person?"
      "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

My view about nicknames is that it depends on many things. First (and maybe the most important) is the character who is referring to someone.

To Abby, Nikola is probably mr. Tesla. To Will, Tesla or maybe Nikola, if he is feeling generous. To Helen he may be Tesla, Nikola or Niko, depending on how mad Helen is to him at the point and who else are present at the conversation

Personally I use the whole spectrum when I write dialogue. When I am writing... eh, normal text, whatever the non-dialogue part is called, I usually use first name and/or family name, depending on what I am trying to do and how much I need to use names. Sometimes it is good to use first name and family name just to have some chance (usually I write in a language that has only one, gender neutral she/he, meaning that names often have to be mentioned more often than in English).

When the chance isn't needed, I try to think who is telling the story or whose POV the storyteller (or is that the narrator?) is fixed. Then I pick the name the character would use, but usually dilute it either to the first name or family name, to gain some neutrality without losing the whole POV thing to the all-knowing and overly objective side.

Then there is the language differences. For example, when I have to think the alias or nickname to Nikola, I often end up with Nico. The reason is that usually I write in Finnish and Niko is quite common Finnish name, but pronounced a bit differently than how Helen says it. So, to keep foreign touch in all name, I'll spell the name with C.

As I mentioned, this is only how I do things... But maybe you'll feel inspired

Comment

Just stopping by to share the URL for last Friday's episode:

The Depths

Enjoy!
          sigpic
          Icon and Sig by me.

Comment

Niko
            Sherlock; the only one in the world + The Doctor; the last of his kind = THEY ARE ONE AND THE SAME

~~~

WATCHING:
            - Doctor Who (series 7)
            - Arrested Development (season 3)

WAITING:
            - Sanctuary (season 5)... but wont get.. RIP Sanctuary, thanks for the memories!
            - Sherlock (season 3).....MOFFAT!
            - Arrested Development (season 4 and the movie)... can't wait!

I AM WHOLOCKED.

Comment

Thanks Yami...i was waiting for your screen caps. I need to make some art work. eventually. Just to busy right now. I miss my Teslen episodes. Cant wait for the finally.
              sigpic
              Sig made by NAD - THANK YOU SO MUCH

August 27, 2011 official Teslen ship day....mark your calenders.

Comment

I prefer Niko Nikki reminds me to much of Dr Coates and plus if Helen were to say it it would seem condescending

Originally posted by es! View Post
                Oh, there are several opinions on this one. It looks like the majority of fans prefer no nickname at all. Others use Niko or Nikki. Altho "Nikki" reminds me too much of Dr. Coates from Resistance...
                And last but not least, the real nickname for Nikola is Nidza/Nidzo in Serbian. It's also how RL Tesla's mother was calling him.
                I did not know that! Thanks for that
                sigpic
                Sig by Yamiinsane, Thanks!
                'It's Nuttier than Squirrel poo' - Amanda Tapping
                : Thats it! Sphere, planet, label, name! : Following, still, you, not!
                I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                Indeed

Comment

I remember in "My Inventions", RL Tesla recalling his family calling him Niko, at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
                    I remember in "My Inventions", RL Tesla recalling his family calling him Niko, at least once.
                    Is that a book or an online article I really need to read up on him some more!

But thanks for that info too!
                    sigpic
                    I'm not crazy...I just have another consciousness in my brain! So he just looks crazy then?
                    Indeed

Comment

Thanks for the help oh and here's a fun teslen fact! If you go to fanfiction.net there's more Tesla/Helen stories than John/Helen. Just felt like sharing that..

Comment

My Inventions is Tesla`s autobiography. It`s a short book but in public domain so you can read it online.

Comment

Thanks for the help oh and here's a fun teslen fact! If you go to fanfiction.net there's more Tesla/Helen stories than John/Helen. Just felt like sharing that..
                          Awesome!! And your welcome

Originally posted by Mackandal View Post
                          My Inventions is Tesla`s autobiography. It`s a short book but in public domain so you can read it online.
                          Ah, I see *face palm*
                          sigpic
                          Indeed

Comment

Double post but I made a new Teslen vid! Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxaf...ature=youtu.be
                            sigpic
                            Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by StarSancFar View Post
                              Double post but I made a new Teslen vid! Hope you like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUxaf...ature=youtu.be
                              Yay! So Teslen! But also so sad. I mean... the scene you ended it with Like Romeo & Juliet
                              "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                              "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Originally posted by es! View Post
                                Yay! So Teslen! But also so sad. I mean... the scene you ended it with Like Romeo & Juliet
                                Thanks!!
                                I know, I was gonna end it with the clip before that, but I think this was a better ending than just Helen being indecisive but I never thought of it that way
                                sigpic
                                Indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X