Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sanctuary Discussion (Spoilers for the most recent episode)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
    Very strange indeed. Though it may have just been my eyesight, I was actually wondering why it looked as if Helen's business card was blank until Will touched it and then the lettering 'Sanctuary' appeared, but it didn't have the words 'For All' until after Helen said that she was a friend and let go.
    I noticed that and thought it was cool.
    My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

It looks pretty good, but I had some problems with choppy sound. At some points it looked like a bad movie where they got the lip synching off. Does that sound like it's my computer? Should I load it at "low?" I've got low speed DSL.

Comment

/dusts off keyboard

Right. Watched the sneak peek, the trailer, the credits, etc. Groovy, great, good, gradiose, groundbreaking, etc. More to the point, I've been waiting since the Sanctuary website went live for things to change, but the bottom line is that I can't see ****. It's all dark. I can't make anything out even though my eyesight is better than 20x20. At first I thought the folks up there in Vancouver just had some bugs to work out. Now, however, I can only assume, as all of you fine folks out there have seen things with relatively no difficulty, that my monitor is totally busted and retarded. No doubt it's a little dated, no doubt it lacks some variety of modern accoutrements to make it ubertechnocool. OK, it probably sucks the high hard one.

So, am I the only one who can see hardly anything on the Sanctuary website, not to mention any of the streaming media there? Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know if I need a new monitor, some sort of software, to learn the secret Sanctuary handshake? Help, please. If you're so inclined, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55 View Post
          It looks pretty good, but I had some problems with choppy sound. At some points it looked like a bad movie where they got the lip synching off. Does that sound like it's my computer? Should I load it at "low?" I've got low speed DSL.
          It could either be an issue with your DSL connection or with your video card (might not be fast enough to keep up with the high quality version).

You should trythe lower quality version to see if it is any better.

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy View Post
            /dusts off keyboard

Right. Watched the sneak peek, the trailer, the credits, etc. Groovy, great, good, gradiose, groundbreaking, etc. More to the point, I've been waiting since the Sanctuary website went live for things to change, but the bottom line is that I can't see ****. It's all dark. I can't make anything out even though my eyesight is better than 20x20. At first I thought the folks up there in Vancouver just had some bugs to work out. Now, however, I can only assume, as all of you fine folks out there have seen things with relatively no difficulty, that my monitor is totally busted and retarded. No doubt it's a little dated, no doubt it lacks some variety of modern accoutrements to make it ubertechnocool. OK, it probably sucks the high hard one.

So, am I the only one who can see hardly anything on the Sanctuary website, not to mention any of the streaming media there? Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know if I need a new monitor, some sort of software, to learn the secret Sanctuary handshake? Help, please. If you're so inclined, that is.
            Stupid question, but you have adjusted the brightness/contrast on your monitor, right?

Comment

/dusts off keyboard

Well, if there's a secret handshake, I don't know it either. Sort of glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks things are too dark. I was wanting to fiddle with brightness controls like I do on my tv.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
                Stupid question, but you have adjusted the brightness/contrast on your monitor, right?
                Stupid answer, no I haven't. I'm reluctant to screw around with it, first because I'm horribly torpid and shiftless and second because I can see every other thing on my computer perfectly clearly. I tend to lean away from thinking that things are rosy with Sanctuary and that everything else on my harddrive/the Internet is out of kilter. Perhaps it's because I don't have an LCD monitor? I suck?

Originally Posted by jackfan55
                Well, if there's a secret handshake, I don't know it either. Sort of glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks things are too dark. I was wanting to fiddle with brightness controls like I do on my tv.
                Yay for ignorance! Lack of technical proficiency is cool!

Comment

Stupid answer, no I haven't. I'm reluctant to screw around with it, first because I'm horribly torpid and shiftless and second because I can see every other thing on my computer perfectly clearly. I tend to lean away from thinking that things are rosy with Sanctuary and that everything else on my harddrive/the Internet is out of kilter. Perhaps it's because I don't have an LCD monitor? I suck?

Yay for ignorance! Lack of technical proficiency is cool!
                  The show and the website are rather dark in comparison to other websites and series; however, I do believe that is a look that was/is desired. I'm not sure if you watched Batman, but it's very dark as well. In fact, I often have to turn up the brightness on my television to be able to watch it. It's only my opinion but you should be able to see the actors faces well enough, but things in the background and surrounding them will look very dark.

I know I have this same issue with some of the video games I play. Certain areas of game were created to be extremely dark, it's the desired look they were hoping to attain I suppose, but it makes it extremely difficult to get around at times.

Comment

So I just watched the 5 minute trailer and I am so unbelievably excited for the 14th!!! This show is going to be absolutely amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1 View Post
                      The show and the website are rather dark in comparison to other websites and series; however, I do believe that is a look that was/is desired. I'm not sure if you watched Batman, but it's very dark as well. In fact, I often have to turn up the brightness on my television to be able to watch it. It's only my opinion but you should be able to see the actors faces well enough, but things in the background and surrounding them will look very dark.

I know I have this same issue with some of the video games I play. Certain areas of game were created to be extremely dark, it's the desired look they were hoping to attain I suppose, but it makes it extremely difficult to get around at times.
                      No, no, I get that the show is supposed to look dark. And I rather liked that the Sanctuary crew is putting in the effort to give the world that Sanctuary inhabits a unique feel and atmoshpere. It does much to enhance the end product. That being said, though, it's a right pain in the ass not being able to actually see what I'm supposed to be seeing. As you say, I can, for the most part, see the actors' faces well enough. However, much of the setting, including the actual sanctuary itself, is just too dark to pick up even a basic lay of the room, let alone any details that the guys are working so hard to include. For instance, the montage toward the end where we see some of the creatures is mostly lost on me, as is the train sequence. And the alley (at least I believe it's an alley) where Helen pulls out her gun is downright unviewable.

I only mention the LCD vs. CRT monitor difference because there was a post on the Sanctuary forums where someone described seeing the trailer much better on a friends' LCD laptop screen, as opposed to their own CRT desktop at home. As you guys have suggested, I could futz with the brightness on my monitor easily enough, but won't that just bleach out the images rather than make them clearer? It's also worth mentioning that I tried watching the trailer earlier this afternoon during the bright of day pouring in. It is easier to see now that it's dark outside and the lights are turned off. Still, I'd be well chuffed if I could work it out otherwise. Or maybe it's time to bite the bullet and spring for a new, fancy LCD monitor.

Comment

No, no, I get that the show is supposed to look dark. And I rather liked that the Sanctuary crew is putting in the effort to give the world that Sanctuary inhabits a unique feel and atmoshpere. It does much to enhance the end product. That being said, though, it's a right pain in the ass not being able to actually see what I'm supposed to be seeing. As you say, I can, for the most part, see the actors' faces well enough. However, much of the setting, including the actual sanctuary itself, is just too dark to pick up even a basic lay of the room, let alone any details that the guys are working so hard to include. For instance, the montage toward the end where we see some of the creatures is mostly lost on me, as is the train sequence. And the alley (at least I believe it's an alley) where Helen pulls out her gun is downright unviewable.

I only mention the LCD vs. CRT monitor difference because there was a post on the Sanctuary forums where someone described seeing the trailer much better on a friends' LCD laptop screen, as opposed to their own CRT desktop at home. As you guys have suggested, I could futz with the brightness on my monitor easily enough, but won't that just bleach out the images rather than make them clearer? It's also worth mentioning that I tried watching the trailer earlier this afternoon during the bright of day pouring in. It is easier to see now that it's dark outside and the lights are turned off. Still, I'd be well chuffed if I could work it out otherwise. Or maybe it's time to bite the bullet and spring for a new, fancy LCD monitor.
                        Yup, the website is a LOT darker/harder to see on an older moniter(I had to really fiddle with the brightness settings to see it properly), on my LCD moniter it looked amazing though, and I was in a very brightly lit room.

Comment

Okay, I just realized that I was going to have about 15 quotes in this message. NEVERMIND! Suffice it to say, most of what I'm going to say has been said in some fashion.

THE PREVIEW AND WELCOME CLIP FROM AMANDA WERE AWESOME!!! I knew that Helen Magnus would have an accent, but it seems Amanda has surprised everyone with this one. I *love* it. Someone mentioned that they thought her accent will be stronger in flashbacks. That makes perfect sense to me. A person's accent can change over the course of 100 or more years. But it wasn't just her accent - she had a different voice for Helen. There was no trace of Sam Carter. I didn't even recognize Amanda in there! Listening to it with my eyes closed, I would *never* have guessed that it was her. It was totally wonderful! I already LOVE the character of Helen Magnus. I'll be watching this preview repeatedly over the next two weeks.

Also, the welcome clip from Amanda was terrific. First - it's a wonderfully personal touch to thank the fans. (You see, Amanda, *this* is why we love you!) Second - it's was great to show someone who is so passionate about the show and wanting others to become excited about it, too. And lastly, for anyone that hasn't already been a fan of Stargate and doesn't know Amanda, it's BRILLIANT to show how different she is from her character.

Must watch these clips about a dozen more times before I go to bed tonight.
                          Last edited by meredithchandler73; 30 April 2007, 07:48 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Thanks to Starlover1990 for the banner

Comment

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz View Post
                            Well, I'm impressed. ...

Does anyone have an ETA on the streaming download after it begins pre-loading? I had to watch the one on youtube, because I simply couldn't wait.
                            It took about 5 minutes, but I have DSL. The first time I tried, it stalled, so I tried again.
                            Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

It's time to bite the bullet and buy that LCD monitor. You'll love it. It's easier on the eyes, too. "Sanctuary" is higher quality than HD, so you'll want to appreciate the detail.
                              Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

/dusts off keyboard

Actually you may just need to calibrate your monitor. I always use a CRT where possible because LCD actually hurt my eyes (I have bad eyes) if I view them for too long.

I used to know of a site to calibrate monitors for colour and contrast (to get monitor and print colours in sync), I'll see if I can find it for you and PM the details.

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                                It's time to bite the bullet and buy that LCD monitor. You'll love it. It's easier on the eyes, too. "Sanctuary" is higher quality than HD, so you'll want to appreciate the detail.
                                LOL you won't convince me of that! Hugs my CRT (stoopid eyes )
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X