Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More info........

Commercial success
    Spider-Man was introduced in Amazing Fantasy #15, 1962. Due to positive sales and fan mail resulting from the issue, the character received his own title, The Amazing Spider-Man, the following year, which became Marvel's best-selling series. The character quickly became a cultural icon; a 1965 Esquire poll of college campuses found that college students ranked Spider-Man and fellow Marvel hero The Hulk alongside Bob Dylan and Che Guevara as their favorite revolutionary icons. One interviewee selected Spider-Man because he was "beset by woes, money problems, and the question of existence. In short, he is one of us". Following Ditko's departure after issue #39, John Romita, Sr. became the character's next-most-associated signature artist, penciling the character over the several following years.

The Amazing Spider-Man#96 (May 1971), the first of three non-Comics Code issues that prompted the Code's first update, allowing comics to show the negative effects of illegal-drug use. Note cover-blurb reference to "The last fatal trip!" Cover art by Gil KaneAn early 1970s Spider-Man story led to the revision of the Comics Code. Previously, it was taboo to depict illegal drugs, even negatively. However, in 1970 the Nixon administration's Department of Health, Education, and Welfare asked Stan Lee to run an anti-drug message in one of Marvel's top-selling titles. Lee chose the top-selling The Amazing Spider-Man; issues #96–98 (May–July 1971) feature a story arc that shows the negative effects of drug abuse. In the story, Peter Parker's friend Harry Osborn starts taking pills and becomes so ill that when Spider-Man fights the Green Goblin (Norman Osborn), Spider-Man defeats Norman by simply showing him his sick son. While the story had a clear anti-drug message, the Comics Code Authority refused to issue its seal of approval. Marvel nevertheless sold the three issues without the Comics Code Authority's approval or seal and sold so well that the industry's self-censorship was undercut.

In 1972, a second monthly ongoing series starring Spider-Man began: Marvel Team-Up, in which Spider-Man is paired with other superheroes. In 1976, his second solo series, Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man began, running parallel to the main series; a third solo series, Web of Spider-Man, launched in 1985, replacing Marvel Team-Up. The launch of a fourth monthly title in 1990, written and drawn by popular artist Todd McFarlane, debuted with multiple variant covers and sold in excess of three million copies of its premiere issue, an industry record at the time. There have generally been at least two ongoing Spider-Man series at any time, with a typical minimum of four comics starring the character published each month. Several limited series, one-shots and loosely related comics have also been published, and Spider-Man makes frequent cameos and guest appearances in other comic series.

Spider-Man has become Marvel's flagship character, and is often seen as an image representing the entire company. When Marvel became the first comic book company to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1991, the Wall Street Journal announced "Spider-man is coming to Wall Street"; the event was in turn promoted with an actor in a Spider-Man costume accompanying Stan Lee to the Stock Exchange. When Marvel wanted to issue a story dealing with the immediate aftermath of the September 11th, 2001 attacks, the company settled on the December 2001 issue of The Amazing Spider-Man. In 2006, Spider-Man garnered major media coverage with the revealing of the character's secret identity, an event detailed in a full-page story in the New York Post before the issue containing the story was even released.

In 1999, after a decline in sales that began with the clone storyline, John Byrne revised the origin of Spider-Man in Spider-Man: Chapter One, just as he earlier reinvented Superman's origin in The Man of Steel. The changes were mentioned in the contemporary comics (which Byrne co-wrote with Howard Mackie), but the attempt was not popular and Marvel writers returned to the Lee/Ditko origin.

The publisher relaunched The Amazing Spider-Man and Peter Parker: Spider-Man with new #1 issues and canceled The Sensational Spider-Man Vol. 1 and The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1.

As of 2006, Spider-Man regularly appears in The Amazing Spider-Man, New Avengers, The Sensational Spider-Man, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man, and the limited series Beyond! and Civil War.
    the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
    Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Just watched the trailer for the third movie. Looks pretty cool. There will certainly be a lot going on in this one. Cant wait until may
      Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I saw these two new and quite cool looking posters they have for Spiderman 3, check them out......

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/news.php?id=4774

Comment

Fans will be able to legally view seven and a half minutes of this summer's Spider-Man 3 online just by watching Heroes at NBC.com.

The release also reveals that there will be a 60-second Spider-Man 3 clip with a cliffhanger of its own during that night's broadcast.

Click here to read the press release

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior View Post
            Fans will be able to legally view seven and a half minutes of this summer's Spider-Man 3 online just by watching Heroes at NBC.com.

The release also reveals that there will be a 60-second Spider-Man 3 clip with a cliffhanger of its own during that night's broadcast.

Click here to read the press release
            Sweet, thanks for the head's up Warrior.

I am starting to get ecxited about this latest installment. It will be nice seeing Tropher Grace in anything again.

Comment

I am so going to see this film. I've been looking forward to it since I found out it was coming out this year.

........By Day............By Night........

Comment

The movies as well as the current line of 616 Spider-man comic books is a disgrace to all that is holy and dear to fans of the character. I spit in your face Quesada. Die, die, die!

Comment

Heard the news on Radio 1 (UK Radio Station) and read it on IMDB news.

Tobey Maguire has confirmed the upcoming Spider-man 3 will be the last time he plays the superhero on the big screen. Co-star Kirsten Dunst has also said she feels the third film will be the last in the popular franchise. Maguire says, "To me it seems like this is a natural point for the team to break up because we have a lot of story conclusions that were going along for the main characters for the first two movies and we kind of tie almost everything up for the third movie. "It feels like a trilogy to me and it feels like the end." But moviemaker Sam Raimi isn't so sure that it's all over for the web-slinging movie hero. In a recent interview, the director stated he's seriously considering a fourth film. He explains, "I love Spider-Man and I love working with Kirsten, Tobey, James Franco)... I just have to make sure that when I'm done with Spider-Man 3, I'm really still fascinated with the character. At this moment I'm fascinated with him." But Raimi insists he couldn't imagine making a fourth installment if Maguire didn't sign on for it. He adds, "I couldn't imagine it."

Comment

I would love to see a fourth movie, but so long as Spider-man 3 provides conclussion to the series, then I'd be happy with just three movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                      I would love to see a fourth movie, but so long as Spider-man 3 provides conclussion to the series, then I'd be happy with just three movies.
                      Tobey Maguire has confirmed the upcoming Spider-man 3 will be the last time he plays the superhero on the big screen. Co-star Kirsten Dunst has also said she feels the third film will be the last in the popular franchise. Maguire says, "To me it seems like this is a natural point for the team to break up because we have a lot of story conclusions that were going along for the main characters for the first two movies and we kind of tie almost everything up for the third movie. "It feels like a trilogy to me and it feels like the end." But moviemaker Sam Raimi isn't so sure that it's all over for the web-slinging movie hero. In a recent interview, the director stated he's seriously considering a fourth film. He explains, "I love Spider-Man and I love working with Kirsten, Tobey, James Franco)... I just have to make sure that when I'm done with Spider-Man 3, I'm really still fascinated with the character. At this moment I'm fascinated with him." But Raimi insists he couldn't imagine making a fourth installment if Maguire didn't sign on for it. He adds, "I couldn't imagine it."
                      Of course he can't imagine it. The character Raimi created is tailor made for Maguire. There are very few if any actors out there that can deliver the incredibly cheesy dialogue Raimi has him read.

Comment

Spider-Man made his debut onto Nintendo 64’s video game in November 2000. Gamers utilize Spider-Man’s super strength and superior wit to protect the innocent as they solve a variety of puzzles and defeat old and new super villains.

What happened to the game "Maximim Carnage" Where you play as spider man or venom in a side-scrolling action beat-em-up?

that game was boss on the Super nintendo. It had dozens of other super heros to summon as attacks to help you out.

that was way earlier than 2000

Name: Issac Matthews
                        Team: SG-3(Marines)
                        click for biography

Comment

Can't wait to go see this on my birthday, may 27th......... Have loved the trailers so far have seen them 5 times.....

http://galaxygate.freeforums.org/index.php
                          Come and join My Doctor Who fourm....
                          http://galactictraveler.proboards.com/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended_Elite_mercenary View Post
                            What happened to the game "Maximim Carnage" Where you play as spider man or venom in a side-scrolling action beat-em-up?

that was way earlier than 2000
                            Yeah there were a bunch of Spider-Man games waaaaay before 2000. There was a Spider-Man game for the Atari 2600 for cryin' out loud!

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                            The movies as well as the current line of 616 Spider-man comic books is a disgrace to all that is holy and dear to fans of the character. I spit in your face Quesada. Die, die, die!
                            What's your beef with 616?

Comment

New trailer

View here

Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by TheWarrior View Post
                                New trailer

View here

Enjoy
                                Definitely a great preview. Probably the best out of all of them. I saw this one a couple of days ago on Comcast ON Demand.

I sooo can't wait for this movie to come out.
                                sigpic
                                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                                "...phu...ah..."
                                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Working...
                                X