A new fan's view of the show+questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
    Well, I was planning on watching that right after the previous one. I said half an hour, but here it is half a day.
    Episode 22- Family Ties (1)- The Finale
    <Respectfully snipped>
    -Questions:
    1- If the microbes translate everything, why didn't they translate the rants that D'Argo said to Rygel? It was only translated to Chiana. Are the microbes losing their touch? lol
    2- Have all the peacekeepers been taken from their families against their will?
    I saw an interview with Ben and he said something like "They translate everything but the really good swear words" Of course, there's a few they need to be programmed with, but most languages are preprogrammed in.
    sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
      I saw an interview with Ben and he said something like "They translate everything but the really good swear words" Of course, there's a few they need to be programmed with, but most languages are preprogrammed in.
      I see, but what if there's an upgrade? Can it be done to those that have already been injected inside someone or do they have to be replaced with new upgraded microbes?

Comment

There's an ep in S3 (I think?) when Pilot needs to upgrade the microbes for the crew. I don't remember exactly if he just programmed the current ones or if he injected new ones into them.
        sigpic

Click here daily to give free mammograms

It is better to be crazy for Jesus than a wise man for Satan. Laters, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
          According to the Farscape Wikipedia, Moya was 23 years (or should I say 'cycles'? ) old at the start of the show. I won't link you because there are a couple of spoilers, albeit minor ones, but still..
          I remember seeing that info there when I was looking for info about her fuel situation. (To which I never found a definate answer, sorry)

And Maneth is right, they never say her age on the show...
          I wonder how did they come up with that number. I always assumed Moya was older but not old old.
          Spoiler:
          Leviathans can live several hundred years where as Pilot's species can live even longer...though when bonded with a leviathan, they die when the ship dies.

Taking the Stone. Yes a very weird episode that takes a couple of watches to appreciate.

1- What is the game? I didn't understand the rules or even what they have to do. Is it just about jumping? What are the stages of this game? Why do they jump?
          It's a ritual suicide thing. They ultimately jump when they get to a certain age because otherwise they start to die from the effects of the radiation that has permeated the caves they live in.

The others that jumped ahead of the one that killed himself were probably just doing it for the rush.

2- Why are there outcasts? Why do they live away from sight? What was on that old outcast woman's face? Is it burnt?
          People who chose not to kill themselves. Not sure why they are outcast other than the younger ones shun them because they don't go along and kill themselves before they get sick.

Radiation poisoning.

3- What is that thing that appeared at the bottom of the pit and saved chiana? Where did it come from? How is it activated? Is it automatic or manual? And if manual, then who activated it?
          Some kind of Peacekeeper training device. Here's Aeryn's exact words from the ep: It's a sonic net. It's a net sustained by their own voices. Peacekeepers use them in aerial combat training and the sound actually cushions your fall.

4-so "Taking the stone"? What does it mean? Do they have to retrieve a stone from the bottom or is it a metaphor? And if they survive, how do they get back up?
          Literally they are taking the stone when they splat into the stone floor after jumping.

It's a whole system of passages. I'm sure there's one that leads out.

5- Is that pregnant girl's belly made of glass? Maybe I saw it wrong, but it looked like glass. If it is, then WHY? HOW? And how does she play that way?
          Weird alien design by the people who designed them for the show. I never bothered to try to make sense of that biological oddity.

6- What's the significance of the radiation? What does it have to do with the jump?
          They are killing themselves by jumping rather than dying from the radiation. They all are living under ground where the radiation is rather than living on the surface of the planet where they isn't any. They know perfectly well that the radiation is what's killing them.

7- Can't anyone decide they want to jump anyway? So how would Chiana take Monlon's place. He could call it off. Why does he have to be replaced?
          Guy talked a big game but wasn't willing to go through with the ritual suicide thing they had going on. He probably would have just ended up becoming one of the outcast.

8- John told Monlon that it's easy for them to jump coz they'll eventually die, but not Chiana. Why would they die eventually, while Chiana wouldn't? What's the difference?
          Radiation poisoning. Molnon had lived there 22 cycles. Chiana had only just gotten there.

Chiana was wanting to jump because of her grief over the death of her brother. She had a strong bond with him and was an outcast amongst her own people so she could never really go home. Though I'm not convinced that she actually wanted to kill herself.

9- So how did her brother die? Did he participate in that game?
          Her brother had nothing to do with that planet. Supposedly we were supposed to, I think, believe that he had been killed by the people who had been hunting them down.

10- So what happened to the clan? Do we get to know?
          We never know. Last I remember was that supposedly they voted to remain idiots and continue to live in the radioactive caves rather than move to the surface even though they new perfectly well that it was the radiation killing them.

They were basically a death cult.

Were as you contrast that with Chiana who was young and loved life and new life experiences.

11- Crichton and Aeryn are old????? How's that? How old are they and how old is Chiana? How long do Sebaceans normally live? Similar lifetimes as humans or longer? Same question for the Nebari's lifetime.
          I think John is in he early 30s. Considering the idiots in the cave only live to 22 cycles...that's old for them. Aeryn is older as Sebaceans age differently. They live longer than humans. They never really got into Nebari lifespans that I can remember, but I assume they live longer than humans as well. Seemingly many species in Farscape have much longer lifespans than humans.

Did you watch SGA? The episode Childhood's End is very similar to this episode. In that one they were killing themselves as a form of population control. In Farscape they seemingly do it because they have some weird fixation with death...thus they take all these chances with what life they do have because they know they are going to die soon anyway.

12- What is that drug Crichton took? Why did Monlon refuse to talk to him until he had that drug?
          Psychedelic mushrooms. They like taking chances with death. He wanted Crichton to take a risk like they love to do.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by Everlovin View Post
            There's an ep in S3 (I think?) when Pilot needs to upgrade the microbes for the crew. I don't remember exactly if he just programmed the current ones or if he injected new ones into them.
            What the...!!!! Hey that's a spoiler. Why would you do that???!!!! I'm speechless.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
            Did you watch SGA? The episode Childhood's End is very similar to this episode. In that one they were killing themselves as a form of population control. In Farscape they seemingly do it because they have some weird fixation with death...thus they take all these chances with what life they do have because they know they are going to die soon anyway.
            Have u read my comments on this episode? If u did, you would have noticed that I did mention that SGA episode. Just didn't really go into details so as not to spoil the show for anyone who hasn't watched it. I remembered that episode right away. So obvious, BUT Farscape made it first. So it's SGA that stole the idea.

Comment

Episode (204)- Crackers Don't Matter
              -Comments:
              1- That alien looked suspicious right from the beginning.
              2- The arguments were really funny.
              3- I started to get used to Crichton's crazy laugh. It's not creepy anymore. It's funny actually.
              4-
              Spoiler:
              *SGU spoiler*While watching SGU, I've always thought that they should have gone crazy by then, but they didn't.*End of spoiler*
              I like Farscape because it's more realistic about this. Being out there, away from the life that u knew and you have nothing to do but to run. What kind of life is that!!!! They have the right to snap every now and then. It's not just Crichton. Everyone aboard Moya was used to living among their people, even if they're not family, but same species. Even D'Argo and Zhaan used to live among his people once upon a time. And Rygel used to be rich. Very rich. And not they have to live this terrible life. Going crazy every now and then is good for them.
              5- Moya looked awesome while glowing.
              6- I liked how John didn't hesitate for a second to stab T'raltixx. Amazing. He knew what to do. Coz seriously the idea of letting them live and throwing the sold is getting old. Thumbs up for the writers.
              -Questions:
              1-Crichton is supposed to be the one talking in the opening credits, but the first 2 sentences seem to be said by someone else. "My name is John Crichton, an astronaut. A raditaion wave hit and I got shot through a wormhole". Only that part. Has anyone else noticed that?
              2- So what is the real reason why John wasn't quite as affected as the others by the light? Is it really the weak nerve or is he superior as he claims?
              3- So does T'raltixx only amplify the power of the pulsar or is he the origin of the distrust feelings?
              4- Why exactly did John mention ice cream?
              5- How would Pilot just sit and do nothing while Aeryn is trying to take over the ship?
              6- Why would D'Argo and Chiana want to take the module? They always say it's primitive. Why not take a pod?
              7- Pilot apologized to D'Argo and Rygel, but not to Crichton??? He insulted Crichton not D'Argo and Rygel.

Comment

Episode (205)- The Way we weren't
                -Comments:
                1- Haven't we been through this before? Whether Aeryn has changed or not.
                2- I understand the passengers concern, but still. They crushed her.
                3- So a PK that cares about leviathons and pilots. That's new. (Aeryn's boyfriend).
                4- So that's what u guys have been telling me about. You said my questions about Pilot will be answered later.
                5- I don't blame Pilot for his reaction. He wasn't aware. Blinded by anger. That's a new side we've never seen before.
                6- Both Moya and Pilot suffering all this time. And they didn't know.
                7- Aeryn was such a ***** back then.
                8- That was one of the best episodes on the show. My first favorite on this season. Don't know yet if it's the only one.
                -Questions:
                1- When Moya was sedated, shouldn't the original pilot had been sedated too? I thought they were connected which makes what happen to her happen to the pilot as well.
                2- Who's the original Pilot's actress? She's amazing. She managed to make me understand what the original pilot is going through just using her voice. Nothing more.
                3- So if Crais wanted a leviathan warship, then why did he place that shield that prevents her from having a baby?
                4- Why did the process of fast connection to Moya cause pain to Pilot during and after the process. I know it's a side effect, but why? What really does happen?

Comment

Originally posted by PrometheOSS View Post
                  Have u read my comments on this episode? If u did, you would have noticed that I did mention that SGA episode. Just didn't really go into details so as not to spoil the show for anyone who hasn't watched it. I remembered that episode right away. So obvious, BUT Farscape made it first. So it's SGA that stole the idea.
                  So you did...as it was the last one. I skimmed them but was in a hurry and missed it.

SGA just did their take on it. I doubt Farscape was the first to come up with the concept. Sci-fi has story plots that various shows all seem to do their version of. Farscape's was fine. It's not a favorite ep by any stretch as I found it really weird and rather confusing the first time I ever saw Taking the Stone, but I like the ep. Like I said it took a couple of watches to get everything out of it.

Crackers:
                  1-Crichton is supposed to be the one talking in the opening credits, but the first 2 sentences seem to be said by someone else. "My name is John Crichton, an astronaut. A raditaion wave hit and I got shot through a wormhole". Only that part. Has anyone else noticed that?
                  No.
                  2- So what is the real reason why John wasn't quite as affected as the others by the light? Is it really the weak nerve or is he superior as he claims?
                  It had something to do with the optic nerves. His eyes just weren't as affected by the light like the others because his eye sight was not as developed as theirs. I love that scene where they are all reading the warning on the sink and he can't.

3- So does T'raltixx only amplify the power of the pulsar or is he the origin of the distrust feelings?
                  Hmm. Never though about that one. I think it was whatever he was doing with the light and not coming from him.

4- Why exactly did John mention ice cream?
                  Why not?
                  5- How would Pilot just sit and do nothing while Aeryn is trying to take over the ship?
                  Because the light affects him and he's preoccupied with doing what T'raltixx wants.
                  6- Why would D'Argo and Chiana want to take the module? They always say it's primitive. Why not take a pod?
                  Don't know.
                  7- Pilot apologized to D'Argo and Rygel, but not to Crichton??? He insulted Crichton not D'Argo and Rygel.
                  He stated he had already apologized to everyone else off camera.

Way We Weren't:

Definitely one of the best episodes of the entire series, but there are more to come.
                  1- When Moya was sedated, shouldn't the original pilot had been sedated too? I thought they were connected which makes what happen to her happen to the pilot as well.
                  it may have something to do with the bonding. It may have not been a natural bonding is my guess...since Pilot's wasn't either.
                  2- Who's the original Pilot's actress? She's amazing. She managed to make me understand what the original pilot is going through just using her voice. Nothing more.
                  Melissa Jaffer. She was also Nilaam in Vitas Mortis, and she will show up again and join the cast as another character in S3.
                  3- So if Crais wanted a leviathan warship, then why did he place that shield that prevents her from having a baby?
                  It wasn't Crais. It was Velorek trying to sabotage what Crais was doing.
                  4- Why did the process of fast connection to Moya cause pain to Pilot during and after the process. I know it's a side effect, but why? What really does happen?
                  You jab a knife into you and see if it doesn't still hurt after months of being there. Best analogy I can come up with since Farscape wasn't into the technobable stuff and never really explained the process of what they did to Pilot versus a natural bonding.
                  IMO always implied.

Comment

So you did...as it was the last one. I skimmed them but was in a hurry and missed it.

SGA just did their take on it. I doubt Farscape was the first to come up with the concept. Sci-fi has story plots that various shows all seem to do their version of. Farscape's was fine. It's not a favorite ep by any stretch as I found it really weird and rather confusing the first time I ever saw Taking the Stone, but I like the ep. Like I said it took a couple of watches to get everything out of it.
                    I agree it was confusing. With all those questions that I asked. I agree it wasn't a good episode. SGA's was much much better.

Comment

Melissa Jaffer. She was also Nilaam in Vitas Mortis, and she will show up again and join the cast as another character in S3.
                      Wow, I didn't realise it was her!

I always feel like crying when I watch The Way We Weren't... poor Pilot...
                      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                        Wow, I didn't realise it was her!

I always feel like crying when I watch The Way We Weren't... poor Pilot...
                        I'm never gonna forget his cry of agony, nor will I forget the first's pilots while being shot.
                        Amazing voice actors.

Comment

Episode (206)- Picture If you will
                          -Comments:
                          1- Hmm, it looked too easy to me. I didn't really like that episode. The previous one with Maldis was much better.
                          2- I take back what I said about Chiana. She's not annoying anymore. Maybe she changed, I don't know. I like her now.
                          3- Lost stuff, eh?? One of the best ways of persuasion. Maldis chose the right way to make Chiana take the painting.
                          4- I agree with Crichton about locking Moya up so nothing or no one gets in. But if they did, there'd be so few things to watch on the show.
                          5- DRD's beat him?? I don't buy that.
                          6- Oh and those Sound of music and the Beatles references. Loved it. Classic (pun intended).
                          7- A lady doing martial arts. I like.
                          -Questions:
                          1- Why wasn't the seller woman sent to the portrait after the died? She was shattered just like the others were before being sent to the portrait.
                          2- Why didn't they really die after they are killed the same way in the portrait?
                          3- What happened to the portrait?
                          4- Is it intentional for Rygel's stories to be the B-stories in the episode? Why do they do that?
                          Last edited by Kilgharrah; 17 June 2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Episode(207)- Home on the Remains
                            -Comments:
                            1- I laughed a lot at the idea of Zhaan's sickness and her spreading spores.
                            2- D'Argo and Chiana???!!! Why can't I believe that? Maybe because he's old enough to be her father??
                            3- I didn't like the mines at all. They were made terribly. I can easily tell that they're not real mines. They could have used real mines coz they can't make a convincing set for the mine.
                            4- Why don't the passengers solve their issues. Every time it gets in the way of saving the day. But I guess it's what they use to make a 45 minutes long episode.
                            5- Why didn't I consider B'Sogg trust worthy since the beginning?? Oh maybe that's the weird look and the cut in his head and his care for himself only. Oh and he didn't try to save his brother.
                            -Questions:
                            1- How can Zhaan be a plant and move at the same time?? And she's not autotrophic either. The distinctive character of plants is that they are autotrophic (make their own food in side their body), while the distinctive character of animals is the ability to move. Has that been explained somewhere?
                            2- Was that the keedva they were eating at the end?
                            3- What exactly happened to B'Sogg when Chiana shot him?? It looked like his hands were melting. So what hapened?

Comment

Episode(208)- Dream a little dream
                              -Comments:
                              1- Definitely one of my favorites of this season.
                              2- The only problem about this episode is the time it was aired. It should have been the season premiere. If you ask me why, I'll say because back at the beginning of the season WE (those watching the show) didn't know whether D'Argo, John and Aeryn were alive or not. It should have started with the dream, then them searching on the planet, and what follows. Only John's scenes removed and it would have been the best. Back then we would have still been worried about John, D'Argo, Aeryn and Talyn and anxious to know what happened to them. And when we add to that the worry about Zhaan, Chiana and Rygel, imagine how it would have been.
                              3- Definitely changed my view of Chiana right now, she's one of my favorites. It's the first time since she appeared on the show that I don't consider her annoying and I consider her very hot and funny. So she is there on the favorites list right with Aeryn, Rygel, Pilot and Crais. BTW, she reminds me of Kate of Sanctuary, don't you all see it?
                              4- Virginia Hey's performance is terrible. I've always hated her cry. She never did it right.
                              5- I liked the law firms symbolism there. Similar to what happens on Earth.
                              6- How can a court on an alien planet in a distant part of the universe in the uncharted territories be exactly like many courts on Earth??
                              7- I can't believe that the Litigarans really believed that "Light of Truth" crap.
                              8- From what I saw, Rygel and Chiana don't act like children anymore. Zhaan doesn't have to protect them like she was concerned. They managed to save the day... with a little help from Moya and Pilot, but they did it. But it's originally Rygel's idea and that counts.
                              9- Finally Rygel is a part of the main story of the episode.
                              10- Loved the Helium fart part. Never gets old. With a new joke every time and Chiana makes it much better. They handled it well.
                              -Questions:
                              1- Why is Zhaan still having these dreams after they found the lost ones? (If it's gonna be answered later, then please don't answer it.)
                              2- Why were Zhaan and John on a transport pod? How is that significant? They could have been on Moya, it wouldn't have made a difference.
                              3- Why did they frame Zhaan, but not Rygel or Chiana?
                              4- I thought the uncharted territories had no civilized planets. What's that planet doing there? Why would an advanced race live in the uncharted territories?
                              5- So who caused these hallucinations? Were they the people who framed her or is it only Zhaan's mind?
                              6- So I understand that Rhumann was lying, but that doesn't mean he killed the victim. Why was he arrested?
                              7- Was that crappy law (I mean the changes made to the axiom to make it that crappy way) made by the ruling firm or is it older than that.

Comment

2- Have all the peacekeepers been taken from their families against their will?
                                This gets answered in S3 - Relativity (i think that's the right ep)

=======================

Episode (201)- Mind The Baby (2)
                                4- So Talyn chose Crais??? What an idiot. After everything Aeryn did for him. She helped him understand what he is. She did what nobody was ever able to do. Crais has good convincing ability.
                                If you were a young kid, who would you choose - the person offering you the fun exciting adventure or someone that's more like your Mom.

Episode(202)- Vitas Mortis
                                5- Overall, this episode was just OK. It's not as exciting as I thought. So quiet. Nothing compared to the season premiere.
                                My least favorite ep of S2, I think I've only watched it a couple times and not in a few years so I don't remember much.

===========

Episode (205)- The Way we weren't
                                Think of it as a quick shoddy operation that didn't pay attention to the details as long as the patient survived and could do what they want. I imagine it's comparable to a loose bone or something else continually hitting a nerve. Or scar tissue formed to constantly pull and pinch.

Episode(207)- Home on the Remains
                                3- I didn't like the mines at all. They were made terribly. I can easily tell that they're not real mines. They could have used real mines coz they can't make a convincing set for the mine.
                                The show paid more attention to the story and characters than some of the sets and effects. Personally, I prefer it this way, I'm a substance over style person myself.

1- How can Zhaan be a plant and move at the same time??
                                This is another universe who says the rules have to be the same.

The creators/writers have said that they don't do alot of technobabble. They put out the put out the facts but don't bother explaining all the details of the science. This happens alot in this show. You have to get used to the fact they aren't going to explain alot. You are in a new universe/galaxy etc, this is how things are done. Sometimes I would like like a little more explanation but this gives them more time for the heart of the story.

Episode(208)- Dream a little dream
                                2. It was originally the season premiere. I don't remember why they changed it.

4. They're called the Uncharted Territories because no one entity rules them (like Peacekeeeper or Scarran Territory) or has mapped it out. Some of it is like the Wild Wild West of the 1800's..
                                sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Working...
                                X