The Stolen Earth (3012/412)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
    I wonder. They made a point of mentioning the last time Earth was stolen.... that was by the Time Lords, wasn't it?
    "The Dalek invasion of Earth"? The Daleks try and use the planet like a space ship, er something like that anyway. Needless to say they don't succeed in moving it anywhere.

I think that is the ep in question as one of the lines on the Classic site of the BBC has "we are the masters of Earth" just like in this eppy.

Comment

"The Most Loyal Companion Will Die" That's got to be Rose (with any luck) It can't be Sarah-Jane or Jack (The Sarah-Jane Adventures and Torchwood would be worthless without them) so, in reality, it's a toss up between Rose and Donna

I've watched it again and I can't hear the 'Drums' a heartbeat when Donna was talking to the Albino Woman but not drums

Comment

The osterhagen key is some sort of contingency plan in the case of Earth's destruction. At least that's what I'm assuming, seeing as "Osterhagen" is an anagram of "Earth's Gone".

As for the regeneration.... Billie lied to the press for ages, saying she had no plans to return, when her return had been planned right from the moment she left. And RTD has been boasting about what a coup it would be to kill off a main character without it leaking out. And didn't CT say in an interview that DT wasn't returning, and then DT hadto come out and deny everything and say he'd signed on for 2010?

I'm not really sure either way, but as much as I love ten, if they managed to pull this off without it laking, it would be amazing.

And let's face it, the fact that there has been a steady stream of leaks throughout the past 4 seasons with the black/red daleks, Davros, Rose and other things... almost makes me wonder if those leaks were engineered to make us think it is impossible to keep anything a secret.

And one last thought.... getting DT back to shoot a false scene or two, to throw the tabloids off the scent? Is it that hard?

---

On the other hand, there's been so much talk of clones, DNA, regeneration, and other such bits and pieces this season, plus the close up on the jar, that I can also believe that there will be some weird and wonderful twist.
        Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

A brilliant episode, for all the reasons you have given. My one gripe is being thoroughly let down by The Shadow Proclamation. What a bore! Surely the intergalactic police would be more... well, more!

I too was quite taken aback by the cliffhanger, and I dearly hope it isn't a quick fix solution 60 seconds into the next episode. You know what I reckon, is that the next episode will begin somewhere else, perhaps even sometime else, without an immediate resolution to the situation, much like "Sound of Drums"/"Last of the Time Lords".

Also, UNIT comes about with some truly inspired technology through reverse-engineering. But they cannot arm themselves with anything better than bullets and old skool guns? Bah!

The Time War was "time-locked"? Hmm, and yet Khan managed to slip in without hindrance.

Originally posted by Alipeeps
          Bit odd though cos the TARDIS translates everything? Sure we saw the Judoon speaking their own language in Smith and Jones but we weren't seeing it through the Doctor's eyes, as it were. So why, with the Doctor and Donna stood right there with the TARDIS, would the Judoon's words not get translated (and indeed, the Doctor's reply)? Feels a little bit like logic was ignored for the sake of a cool gag.
          We are simply hearing the scene as the Judoon hear it. The TARDIS is translating, but not for us. This serves as a cool revisit to the Judoon language and also keeps us wondering what exactly was exchanged, whilst still maintaining continuity.

Next week will come quickly, and the episode will be amazing, and then it will all be over, until Christmas, until next year!
          Last edited by Dusk; 29 June 2008, 03:49 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
            Thank you! That's just what I needed! I knew I'd seen pics somewhere but couldn't remember what was in them. But I'm still paranoid that this is some form of evil misdirection!
            I'm keeping optimistic not because of the pictures but because of the press release that clearly stated he's back for the specials... don't think the BBC would have lied in a press release. BP and DT lying in interviews and such (for example about BP leaving) is a different matter, they don't have the same public responsibility.
            Hoping not.
            IOf course, it could all be some sort of mad timeline bits and he does regenerate but we see Ten instead of Eleven... I hope not!!

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
            "The Dalek invasion of Earth"? The Daleks try and use the planet like a space ship, er something like that anyway. Needless to say they don't succeed in moving it anywhere.

I think that is the ep in question as one of the lines on the Classic site of the BBC has "we are the masters of Earth" just like in this eppy.
            Mmm.. hey moved it as well in Dalek Invasion of Earth? I haven't watched that one, TBH. But I'm pretty sure it was moved on Trial of a Time Lord as well.

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
            "The Most Loyal Companion Will Die" That's got to be Rose (with any luck) It can't be Sarah-Jane or Jack (The Sarah-Jane Adventures and Torchwood would be worthless without them) so, in reality, it's a toss up between Rose and Donna

I've watched it again and I can't hear the 'Drums' a heartbeat when Donna was talking to the Albino Woman but not drums
            One might argue the most loyal companion is MArtha, because of what she had to go through for the Doctor. I hope this isn't the case!

Oooh, and on another note, Gwen mentioned both Owen and Tosh, not just Owen. Squee
            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
            Yes, I am!
            sigpic
            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
              I'm keeping optimistic not because of the pictures but because of the press release that clearly stated he's back for the specials... don't think the BBC would have lied in a press release. BP and DT lying in interviews and such (for example about BP leaving) is a different matter, they don't have the same public responsibility.
              Hoping not.
              Good point. In fact, I recall RTD mentioning something in an interview recently, in his usual jovial manner, about how unfair it was that they have to tell the truth because of some rules or legislation, that he wants to lie to the fans and have everything be a surprise!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post
                Indeed - from the BBC Doctor Who Website:

If you've just watched the thrilling cliff-hanger to The Stolen Earth, you're probably wondering how we could possibly wrap things up in just one more regular episode.

The answer is - we can't. That's why next week's, episode, Journey's End, will run for an amazing 65 minutes! That's almost 50 per cent longer than a regular episode, and even longer than the first two Christmas Specials.

Make sure you're glued to your TV at the slightly earlier time of 6.40pm on Saturday 5th July so you don't miss a moment of epic action.

If you can't wait that long, however, tune in to BBC One tomorrow just before 1pm to see a bonus trailer for the episode. We'll have it online here at the Official Site straight afterwards too.
                Where on the website did you find that? Cos I can't see it mentioned anywhere on there and I've just sat through the last 5 minutes of the freaking Politics Show and the first few seconds of Eastenders and no promo! And nothing on the website either.
                sigpic

Comment

Where on the website did you find that? Cos I can't see it mentioned anywhere on there and I've just sat through the last 5 minutes of the freaking Politics Show and the first few seconds of Eastenders and no promo! And nothing on the website either.
                  It's on the BBC site, I'm waiting for it to come online too

Comment

Me too! I guess its the only way they can get people to tune in to the politics show.

Comment

Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
                      It's on the BBC site, I'm waiting for it to come online too
                      On the BBC Doctor Who website or the main BBC website? Cos I can't find any such announcement on the BBC Doctor Who website, the trailer didn't air when the announcement said it would and it's not online on the BBC Doctor Who website either.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ah!

UPDATE: Well, there was meant to be a trailer on at 1pm. Once we find out what happened to it, we'll put it on the site too! But we're not allowed to show it until it's been on TV. Sorry.

Comment

Well, there was meant to be a trailer on at 1pm. Once we find out what happened to it, we'll put it on the site too! But we're not allowed to show it until it's been on TV. Sorry.
                          It's from the News section. That's the update.
                          Yepp, it's blank down here.

Comment

Too late, missy

Comment

Okay I'm missing something here cos I'm still not seeing these announcements! Are you talking about the official BBC Doctor Who website? Cos the most recent news story I'm seeing on there is "Series Four final extended to special length".
                              sigpic

Comment

Okay I'm missing something here cos I'm still not seeing these announcements! Are you talking about the official BBC Doctor Who website? Cos the most recent news story I'm seeing on there is "Series Four final extended to special length".
                                That's the one. Click on it and the update is right at the bottom of the article.

Comment

Working...
                                X