No announcement yet.

Continuum - News/Discussion/SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shield (or whatever it was) engulfed them both. The suit then, is obviously capable of projecting whatever energy it uses, so it could do the same to cloak her head, hands and feet when needed. The shield we saw in the explosion is probably some kind of emergency feature (one that doesnt last long, so cant be used constantly) like a parachute.

There was a bit of time between the explosion and seeing them again, so she probably just took her outer clothes off in order to use the suites cloak. If the suit can project, why does she need to take off her outer clothes? It needs to be the outer layer, Power, it cant bend light without being in direct contact with light etc etc.

Kiera allowing herself to be observed is probably a way of putting that CSIS guy in his place.

Lets wait for an actual explanation before we start throwing accusations of sloppy writing. If they had explained everything they'd be accused of spoon feeding us right now.
    If we want shows where explanations arent fed to us like we were all slow children, we should hold off on the mud slinging and give the writers a chance. Just because we cant figure it out, doesnt mean they dont have an explanation.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
      The shield (or whatever it was) engulfed them both. The suit then, is obviously capable of projecting whatever energy it uses, so it could do the same to cloak her head, hands and feet when needed. The shield we saw in the explosion is probably some kind of emergency feature (one that doesnt last long, so cant be used constantly) like a parachute.
      Yup, I saw the shield used and I did consider the limited use shield concept.

The problem I have with it is that there has never been any mention of this capability throughout the entire season. Why is this important? My concern is that the show's creators will generate a "take it to Warp 10" mentality where things change, or are added, for the convenience of a particular episode, as they did in the Trek universe.

There were frequently instances where the ship needed to go faster or a sensor had to read something, but normally couldn't, until someone came along and re-routed some panel. In under 15 seconds, what couldn't be done for several seasons is now able to be done. How many times did Troi sense the mind of a guy on another ship, or even on the planet ship was in orbit around, and yet other times she couldn't tell what someone else in the same room was feeling. Why? Because it was necessary for the current plot.

There was a bit of time between the explosion and seeing them again, so she probably just took her outer clothes off in order to use the suites cloak. If the suit can project, why does she need to take off her outer clothes? It needs to be the outer layer, Power, it cant bend light without being in direct contact with light etc etc.
      The sequence of the explosion was: they ran out of the building; paused outside to look back; EXPLOSION; they move some more; bubble. There's no time for Kiera to remove her 2012 clothes prior to the blast.

Let's assume that this feature has always been present in the suit, and it's just that we've never seen it before this episode. My thought is that, at least in this case, the suit emitted an energy field which normally wouldn't damage exterior clothing, unless it's expanded out, such as Kiera apparently did. This force would push anything away from her body, which could include her 2012 clothes. I have trouble trying to explain why Alec was included in the bubble if my interpretation is correct.

Kiera allowing herself to be observed is probably a way of putting that CSIS guy in his place.
      This just seems like a petty thing for her to do. Kiera had very limited exposure to the CSIS guy, certainly not enough time for her to develop such negative feelings. To date, mi-guard's thought that Kiera was thinking she was soon to be out of here makes the most sense to me.

Lets wait for an actual explanation before we start throwing accusations of sloppy writing. If they had explained everything they'd be accused of spoon feeding us right now.
      If we want shows where explanations arent fed to us like we were all slow children, we should hold off on the mud slinging and give the writers a chance. Just because we cant figure it out, doesnt mean they dont have an explanation.
      Most of these concerns aren't dealing with major plot points, so the chances that there will be any kind of explanation, or even that they'll be mentioned again, is probably pretty thin. As such, this is a major concern to me as, if these kind of one-off ploys continue, they will cause my enjoyment of this show to greatly diminish.

regards,
      G.
      Go for Marty...

Comment

Some more pondering and rambling.....

Spoiler:
        I'm thinking she could have revealed herself to the CSIS agent in an effort to make him think he was crazy, then he'll be out of her hair when everyone thinks he's lost it when he mentions what she did. I bet she feels that this guy won't give up finding out exactly who she is. You just know that he'll be the suspicious one watching her all the time next season, when we get the next season *crosses fingers*.

Or Kiera could have been stunned by the explosion and didn't think to see if she was being observed as she went invisible. This lapse in her concentration when she was always so careful in the past could be explained by momentary shock, she's only human after all!

I've also felt that she's losing some of the edge she had the longer she stays in 2012, since she's using less of her training due to trying to fit in and not stand out with the use of her technology and her different approach to situations. There are more moments of vulnerability as time goes on compared to her sense of assurance, relying completely on her technological superiority when she first arrived. She's having to adapt to a new way of doing things and that's one of the things that makes this show interesting for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
          Some more pondering and rambling.....

Spoiler:
          I'm thinking she could have revealed herself to the CSIS agent in an effort to make him think he was crazy, then he'll be out of her hair when everyone thinks he's lost it when he mentions what she did. I bet she feels that this guy won't give up finding out exactly who she is. You just know that he'll be the suspicious one watching her all the time next season, when we get the next season *crosses fingers*.

Or Kiera could have been stunned by the explosion and didn't think to see if she was being observed as she went invisible. This lapse in her concentration when she was always so careful in the past could be explained by momentary shock, she's only human after all!

I've also felt that she's losing some of the edge she had the longer she stays in 2012, since she's using less of her training due to trying to fit in and not stand out with the use of her technology and her different approach to situations. There are more moments of vulnerability as time goes on compared to her sense of assurance, relying completely on her technological superiority when she first arrived. She's having to adapt to a new way of doing things and that's one of the things that makes this show interesting for me.
          Interesting.

Spoiler:

The making the CSIS guy look like a "Mulder" could play well. The downside of it is, wasn't she potentially visible to a lot of other people. Carlos was nearby, and the only reason he didn't see her disappear was that he had a lot of smoke and dust in his eyes (or at least we have been led to believe that this is the case as the only person we see reacting to Kiera is the CSIS guy).

Kiera being disoriented by the moment makes a lot of sense. We could see her kicking herself for her actions at the start of season two.

Very good analysis in the third paragraph!

regards,
          G.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
            BTW: has Kiera's suit always been a two piece? My recollection of it was that it was a once piece.
            I watched some of the earlier episodes and saw that the colour of the top and bottom of the suit could be changed independently of each other. Whether or not this means that they are two separate pieces remains to be seen.

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Rachel Nichols does not look good as a brunette. The color simply doesn't match her complexion, and I don't see why she had to change her hair color for the role anyway.

Comment

Yup, I saw the shield used and I did consider the limited use shield concept.

The problem I have with it is that there has never been any mention of this capability throughout the entire season. Why is this important? My concern is that the show's creators will generate a "take it to Warp 10" mentality where things change, or are added, for the convenience of a particular episode, as they did in the Trek universe.
                Likely because there has been no need. It can probably do other things too, but we havent seen her put in situations where she needs to use them yet.

The sequence of the explosion was: they ran out of the building; paused outside to look back; EXPLOSION; they move some more; bubble. There's no time for Kiera to remove her 2012 clothes prior to the blast.

This just seems like a petty thing for her to do. Kiera had very limited exposure to the CSIS guy, certainly not enough time for her to develop such negative feelings. To date, mi-guard's thought that Kiera was thinking she was soon to be out of here makes the most sense to me.

regards,
                G.

After a re-watch.
                From shield activation to Kiera's emergence is about a minute (56 seconds) and from the CSIS guys emergence to Kiera's is about half a minute (36 seconds. Add an extra 3 seconds if you want to count from the moment the rubble settles).
                I can get my work clothes off (trousers and a buttoned shirt) and into shorts and T-shirt in under a minute. Watching the episode, her trousers look to be black. We can take that to mean (at least i am anyway) that her bottom half was just the suit and that the 2012 clothes were just a shirt and jacket. It wouldnt take 10 seconds for her to lose the jacket and shirt, she could simply tear those buttons off. 36 seconds, to me, is plenty of time to do that.

She had limited exposure, but he almost rumbled her in that time. It could simply be a "look at the power i hold, dont mess with me again" kind of thing.

I watched some of the earlier episodes and saw that the colour of the top and bottom of the suit could be changed independently of each other. Whether or not this means that they are two separate pieces remains to be seen.

regards,
                G.
                It might have some kind of seal at the waist that can separate it into a two piece. I have trousers that can unzip just bellow the knee into a pair of long shorts.
                Last edited by Ukko; 16 August 2012, 07:07 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                  Rachel Nichols does not look good as a brunette. The color simply doesn't match her complexion, and I don't see why she had to change her hair color for the role anyway.
                  Enlighten me about the true color cause I think she looks stunning the way she looks as Kira. I have no idea who Rachel is, so can't compare here.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Likely because there has been no need. It can probably do other things too, but we havent seen her put in situations where she needs to use them yet.
                    Yup. However, this is my concern.

We know, from the first few episodes, that the suit could:
                    1.) stop bullets
                    2.) had some kind of tracker/locator tagging device (used on the punk in 2077 and Kellog in 2012)
                    3.) make her invisible
                    4.) change colour (at least in part)
                    5.) has wrist electronics that allowed her to input some data/commands which allowed her to hack an ATM. I believe there was some kind of electronic lock opening ability (if there isn't there should be).
                    6.) Kiera also had some kind of device which may, or may not have been part of the suit, which allowed her to inject Ingram with some kind of truth serum(?) out by the dumpster.
                    7.) And she acquires a TAZER, which we see in "Fast Times" (eg. the scene where she zaps Carlos in the elevator. I don't recall it being around prior to this moment).
                    (Not sure if I've missed anything from these first episodes)

Later, she acquires some sort of "mass DNA/fingerprinting testing ability" ("The Politics of Time"). This ability was useful for the time and place in which Kiera found herself, and it makes sense that she would have this add-on. It was also a very convenient thing for the writers that this suit had this capability. Was it there before, or was it written in for this episode?

A large shield ("Endtime"). Maybe the suit already had this ability prior to this point. Or maybe it was an add-on created just for this episode.

With each season, will new things be added to the suit which will allow the writers to put the characters into tougher and tougher situations? Will we see Kiera in situations with no apparent way out except for the deus ex machina suit which can now suddenly do "something" which resolves the problem? What new ability (which we are to accept that the suit already possessed) will we see next? Will Kiera be able to jump higher or further? Will there be some kind of strength augment? Maybe she'll get some kind of aqualung capability.

Yes, I'm being a bit silly, but should the creators go down this route it will greatly diminish my interest in the show. I liked it when the creators of the show had Kiera trying to figure her way out of a situation without having the "easy button" suit.

I'll be more lenient with the creators of this show if they start having Alec make some more "special" modifications with the suit, provided they are all small scale type of mods.

After a re-watch.
                    From shield activation to Kiera's emergence is about a minute (56 seconds) and from the CSIS guys emergence to Kiera's is about half a minute (36 seconds. Add an extra 3 seconds if you want to count from the moment the rubble settles).
                    I can get my work clothes off (trousers and a buttoned shirt) and into shorts and T-shirt in under a minute. Watching the episode, her trousers look to be black. We can take that to mean (at least i am anyway) that her bottom half was just the suit and that the 2012 clothes were just a shirt and jacket. It wouldnt take 10 seconds for her to lose the jacket and shirt, she could simply tear those buttons off. 36 seconds, to me, is plenty of time to do that.

She had limited exposure, but he almost rumbled her in that time. It could simply be a "look at the power i hold, dont mess with me again" kind of thing.
                    Again, why does she need to take off her 2012 clothes? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Prior to the explosion, if she needed to take them off so that the energy shield will work, then she hasn't enough time to do so (them turning to look at building, explosion, them turning to run from the explosion, shield up to protect them is mere seconds).

After the explosion, I'll accept that she would have had the time to do so, but why would she want/need to do so? If she wanted to leave the bomb site to make her appointment with "crazy guy" she didn't have to go invisible, she could have just walked off. She was free and clear because of the phone call to the CSIS guy from his boss, so the police wouldn't have stopped her.

The only things that make sense (to me) are one of: a.) the clothes were destroyed by the explosion; or, b.) the clothes were destroyed by the shield. And if the explosion destroyed them, why wasn't there any damage to Kiera's head/hair (at least there is none from what we have seen)? I suppose we could include: c.) Kiera's clothes were all dusty/dirty, but why would that make that much of a difference to her? She could still walk away, no?

The only real reason that the creators had Kiera's 2012 clothes "go away" is so they can use it for next season, but it was awkwardly done (IMO). Perhaps the CSIS guy will spend his spare time trying to peer down the front of Kiera's blouse... to see if he can catch of glimpse of anything interesting. This could also mean that the creators are going to use this scene as a device to give them a reason for Kiera *not* to wear the suit unless it is absolutely necessary. This would be okay by me.

It might have some kind of seal at the waist that can separate it into a two piece. I have trousers that can unzip just bellow the knee into a pair of long shorts.
                    Yeah, could be. From photos and from what I've seen, I don't recall there being any such divide in the uniform. It strikes me as being the same difference as season one ST:NG, where Picard had a one-piece uniform but later has an actual jacket.

regards,
                    G.
                    Last edited by Gollumpus; 17 August 2012, 12:25 PM. Reason: Sometimes I type with my elbows.
                    Go for Marty...

Comment

Good post, gollumpus. I'd green you but the system won't let me. (must spread it around first)

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                        Enlighten me about the true color cause I think she looks stunning the way she looks as Kira. I have no idea who Rachel is, so can't compare here.
                        She's a natural blonde.

Rachel_Nichols_image-1.jpg

Comment

Definitely prefer her as a brunette...

Comment

OMG. The Jodi Foster look totally disappears.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                              OMG. The Jodi Foster look totally disappears.
                              LOL - I thought I was just seeing things. Clearly, I wasn't.

Comment

motion carried, definitely looks better as a brunette.

Comment

Working...
                                X