No announcement yet.

Crossroads, Part 2 (320)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all due respect to Col. Newman, I would like to take a crack at this.

Originally posted by eliotoroboto View Post
    Ugh! I keep hearing this "It's cool that it shows that they're in the right galaxy"

I HIGHLY doubt they've been to any other galaxies. From what I can tell, the FTL drives can't travel very far -- only a few thousand light years at a time it seems -- hence them being stuck having to do multiple jumps through several large gas clouds, and whatnot.

But here's a rundown...

Our galaxy, the milky way, is roughly 150,000 light years in diameter (I think).

The nearest spiral galaxy to us is the Andromeda Galaxy, and it is over 2million light years away -- that's pretty damn far compared to the distance from star system to star system in our galaxy.

So chances are, it would take them QUITE a bit more time to travel across such a great and desolate expanse between galaxies, and given the writers seem to have some general knowledge of astronomy, I would assume that they were merely pointing out the direct LOCATION of the colonial fleet in the Milky Way -- it appeared to me that they were showing the region in which our solar system resides. In other words -- they are REALLY close.

I hope this has helped some people here understand how spread out stuff is in space.
    I agree, but for a different reason.

The Galactica (or any other ship, for that matter) has no problem with jumping from one point to another and I don’t real think that it has an actual limit as far as the “jump drive” itself (assuming that a jump is made by folding space). Now, if that’s so, then what is the limiting factor? Well, I think the real limitation could be related to the speed of light. We judge things in space by what our sensors perceive all along the EM spectrum. The farther away an object is, the longer it takes for the image to reach us. The older the information is, the greater the chance for an error to occur. Once an acceptable risk has been reach, a “limit” or “range” has been determined (in the miniseries, Gaeta claims that he has never plotted a jump past the red line with Adama confirming that no one has. Perhaps the red line was the acceptable limit or range at the time). It could be that the Galactica’s jump computers are capable of calculating only so many variables to predict a safe jump (with other ships’ computers in the fleet capable of less variables and the Cylons’ computers more, which would explain why ships can jump only a certain distances). It is safer to predict what will happen in a ten year period (or even a hundred year period, for that matter) than it would be to predict what will happen in two million years.

The problem, as I see it, is not whether jumping to another galaxy is possible, the problem is getting there safe and sound.

Comment

not to mention that jumping also requires fuel.
      [An alarm is sounding. Harriman checks his watch as he and Siler stand, facing Ba'al's hologram.]
      HARRIMAN
      I'm sure he'll be here any second now.
      [Ba'al is obviously impatient.]
      HARRIMAN
      So, um…

Take our ships, take our toys, take our awesome alien tech... I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take Stargate from me!

Special Thanks to Elles sence this is a ripof of her great sig.

Comment

Originally posted by itzhakts View Post
        With all due respect to Col. Newman, I would like to take a crack at this.
        I haven't said anything about FTL travel in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Koval View Post
          Don't forget Tyrol and Cally. Also, no one seems to have mentioned this but now we have another cylon/human hybrid in the fleet. I love how they snuck that into the story a year ago, and only now do we find out its a hybrid.
          Huh? Are you on about Hera, or the Hybrids who run the ships? Or have I got temporary brainrot?

Spoiler:
          Edit: Ahhh so we're assuming Tyrol IS a Cylon...
          Last edited by Mongoletsi; 19 April 2007, 12:21 AM. Reason: Hid the spoiler
          Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
            Huh? Are you on about Hera, or the Hybrids who run the ships? Or have I got temporary brainrot?
            Since
            Spoiler:
            the Chief is a cylon than means his son is a human/cylon hybrid just like Hera.

Comment

Originally posted by Col. Newman View Post
              Please refer to my sig
              Ln Zbbaong
              This is what I was referring to. It's pretty intimidating .

Comment

Originally posted by SG-25CSAR View Post
                not to mention that jumping also requires fuel.
                That's 100% true, and I feel like a fool for not thinking of that . There's also something else that I thought of, but neglected to mention. Sensitivity of sensors (which would depend on how advance/sophisticated the user's technology is).

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                  Too young to remember it.
                  Here's something else I've been thinking about:

The song "All along the watchtower" must have been taken from Earth, which means that the Cylons had known of the location of Earth. Now, if that's so, then why are we given the impression that the Cylons are following the fleet in order to find out the location of Earth. If they had not visited it, then they must have at least picked up the transmission a minimum of 40 years ago (this song was released at the very end of 67 or at the very beginning of 68), if the occurrances of BSG are happening "now", and a maximum of a year from now, which means, in any case, that they have figured out where Earth is.

Here's another thing, if Tigh was placed on Caprica, or where ever, 40+ years ago, and he was programmed with the "wake up call" before the first war. This means that the Cylons had to have picked up the transmission more than 40 years ago (does anyone remember if Adama and Tigh meet after the war or before, I think I remember afterwards, but I'm not sure), which means that they knew the location of Earth before the first war started (remember, in order to have picked up the broadcast, they would have to be as close to earth (in light years) as the age of the transmission (does that make sense to anyone? Talk about long term planning). This means that the series could be taking place in our future.

OR

As somone else pointed out to me, some how a cylon intercepted the transmission and implanted the "wake up call" in Tigh while he was on New Caprica, which then means that the fleet and the cylons could be up to 40 light years away if the transmission was picked up there, which is pretty damn close (this article may interest some of you). Which would mean that the series could be taking place or in the past (definitely not before 1968) or the present.

Would anyone else like to conjecture.
                  Last edited by itzhakts; 19 April 2007, 11:49 PM. Reason: I forgot how to add.

Comment

I think you may be taking the music too literally. The music isn't meant to be from Earth:

From Bear McCreary's blog:

"I happened to catch Ron Moore in the hallway at Universal and, in a brief conversation, got everything I needed to know. I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source. Therefore, I was told to make no musical references to any "Earthly" versions, Hendrix, Dylan or any others. The arrangement needed to sound like a pop song that belonged in the Galactica universe, not our own."

Another factor indicating that it isn't a 40 year old broadcast from Earth is the fact that it isn't either the Dylan or Hendrix versions of the song.

And then there is this:

Rob: Why did music cause these newly-revealed Cylons to discover they were indeed Cylons. Sharon didn't hear music when she figured it out in season one.

Ron Moore: It's more that they arrived at a certain point in space and they were made aware of who they are. The music manifests a dawning awareness. These are four of the final five, which puts them in a separate category from everybody else. There are reasons for that I can't really get into. We'll be playing out those plot lines for quite a while.

Seems possible that the song is nothing more than an interesting plot device.

Comment

Holy wowwwwwww. I finally got to see this episode tonight, and I was absolutely blown away.
                      Lee's speech was amazing - I even found myself agreeing with him, which is alarming due to my previously professed hatred of Baltar.
                      I LOVED the scene at the beginning with Laura and Bill - so sweet! - and the glare Laura gives Lee was so great.
                      I've had suspicions about the Chief being a Cylon since The Eye of Jupiter and Tori too, but I have to admit that Tigh and Anders took me by surprise.
                      Oh, but I refuse to believe Laura is a Cylon - my money's on Kara

Comment

Originally posted by Berg417448 View Post
                        I think you may be taking the music too literally. The music isn't meant to be from Earth:

From Bear McCreary's blog:

"I happened to catch Ron Moore in the hallway at Universal and, in a brief conversation, got everything I needed to know. I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source. Therefore, I was told to make no musical references to any "Earthly" versions, Hendrix, Dylan or any others. The arrangement needed to sound like a pop song that belonged in the Galactica universe, not our own."

Another factor indicating that it isn't a 40 year old broadcast from Earth is the fact that it isn't either the Dylan or Hendrix versions of the song.

[… omitted by Itzhakts …]

Seems possible that the song is nothing more than an interesting plot device.

I just heard the Podcast for the last episode. Well, so much for my theory. What's up with that? I guess that RDM considered that the first recital of the final version of the lyrics for the song just happened to be carried by a freak wormhole opened up in the fabric of the space-time continuum (the same incident that happened to Arthur Dent and the Vl'hurgs) to either Bob Dylan or his counterpart in the Colonies (while they happened to have a Babel fish in their ear) who decide to plagiarize the song in time for Vietnam and Watergate (or the Colonial equivalent).

Comment

Originally posted by bethia View Post
                          Holy wowwwwwww. I finally got to see this episode tonight, and I was absolutely blown away.
                          Lee's speech was amazing - I even found myself agreeing with him, which is alarming due to my previously professed hatred of Baltar.
                          I LOVED the scene at the beginning with Laura and Bill - so sweet! - and the glare Laura gives Lee was so great.
                          I've had suspicions about the Chief being a Cylon since The Eye of Jupiter and Tori too, but I have to admit that Tigh and Anders took me by surprise.
                          Oh, but I refuse to believe Laura is a Cylon - my money's on Kara
                          I think the chances of Laura being a cylon are very slim at this point. Don't think there's too much to worry about there. She's clearly a more interesting character, with her connection to the cylons, if she isn't a cylon herself.

But I think there's definitely more to learn about regarding her cylon blood transfusion. I hope she's heavily involved in the future exploration of the definition of "cylon".

Comment

I haven't seen the final episodes yet, as they are getting aired in the Uk on Skye one on the 1st of May, both episodes one after the other, I can't wait.

I tried hard not to read all the posts about the episodes but I did kind of guess a few of the outcomes.

This is what I had posted in the other thread before I read the replys on this one.

The light Starbuck saw could be from the light of our sun travelling through this wormhole.
                            The explosion that the viper created when it hit the dense atmosphere of the planet is hard to explain though as her ship was supposed to IMPLODE, according to Tigh the planet was so dense the ship would have been crushed like a cheap beer can in the lower atmosphere. There would be no explosion if this was true, it would look as though an invisible hand caught ship and crushed it and there would be remains. BSG writers have been very consistent with making sure the law of nature is followed correctly, so I can only assume this little hicup was intentional. Therefore the viper she is flying when she returns is the original.
                            If you look closly at the painting starbuck created in her appartment. There is an added picture in the centre circle of Starbucks drawing (in the white circle there is a 3 sided symbol, black outline with white and red) which by the way is not on the "Eye of jupiter" drawing in the Temple. I think this symbol is a picture of her ship flying into the centre of this wormhole. There is a poem to the left of this painting in black paint looks like graffiti, its the lyrics to the song being played. Therefore Kara is a cylon as the painting was finished long before the song was heard by Tyrol and his gang.

The human brain is a strange thing the skinjobs are only human clones with an added protein that "programs" them to do a certain thing. Isn't that destiny, considering they have no option but to obey?

Comment

Originally posted by cazajay View Post
                              The light Starbuck saw could be from the light of our sun travelling through this wormhole.
                              The explosion that the viper created when it hit the dense atmosphere of the planet is hard to explain though as her ship was supposed to IMPLODE, according to Tigh the planet was so dense the ship would have been crushed like a cheap beer can in the lower atmosphere. There would be no explosion if this was true, it would look as though an invisible hand caught ship and crushed it and there would be remains. BSG writers have been very consistent with making sure the law of nature is followed correctly, so I can only assume this little hicup was intentional.
                              While a technicality, an implosion can look very much like an explosion under most circumstances. Think of a piston in a diesel engine compressing the fuel/air mixture until it detonates. Something with a fully armed and fuelled Viper; it gets compressed very quickly (i.e. implosion) and the fuel detonates from the implosion. This of course happens so fast that you only see the resulting explosion. Nuclear bombs are detonated with an implosion in the same manner, yet you only see the resulting explosion. I think what we saw was a pretty accurate representation of a Viper getting crushed and detonating in a high pressure atmosphere.

That being said, obviously she and her Viper survived, maybe you're right and what we witnessed wasn't an implosion but a matter-to-energy conversion (i.e. explosion), to be transported through some wormhole.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD View Post
                                That being said, obviously she and her Viper survived
                                Apparently she decided to hop out while on Earth to clean her viper and paint over her call sign on the side.

From Maelstrom

http://bsgmedia.org/gallery/displayi...um=264&pos=433

From Crossroads Part.2

http://bsgmedia.org/gallery/displayi...um=270&pos=662

The ship in Maelstrom is covered in scorch marks and has Kara's call sign printed on the side of the canopy. The ship in Crossroads has neither of these.
                                It's not the same ship.
                                The obvious conclusion is that it's a copy of a Viper and that the original was destroyed meaning the pilot was also killed.

Kara must be the the final cylon.

Comment

Working...
                                X