No announcement yet.

Matt G's B5 Rewatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The human population has never, as a whole, been so well educated as it is today. My hope is that by 2360, everyone will have access to education, including science, and that would tend to decrease the power of superstition. I will knock on wood as a joke, but I don't think that makes a blind bit of difference to how things turn out.
    sigpic

Comment

I doubt that most people believe for one moment that a superstition affects an outcome. Does that stop people from being superstitious? Not at all. I think for a lot of folks that a superstition is like a habit.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
        The human population has never, as a whole, been so well educated as it is today.
        And yet spamming, phishing and other forms of internet misinformation-for-profit are still a raging big business.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        I doubt that most people believe for one moment that a superstition affects an outcome. Does that stop people from being superstitious? Not at all. I think for a lot of folks that a superstition is like a habit.
        I think it's somehow connected to our instinct to look for patterns, which is connected to our survival instincts.
        sigpic

Comment

I don't know about superstitions but lot of people have rituals for one thing or another. I have plenty of sports related rituals, being it wearing a particular shirt when cheering on a team, playing a particular piece of music before an event etc...

Quite frankly Sheridan could have made that speech in his quarters or at the restaurant table and it would have had the same effect.
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Maybe not, if the ritual for him included completing the speech in the room it was supposed to be made. To be fair, we have no evidence this was the case, so you're probably right.
            sigpic

Comment

1. Pretty big set up work for the Shadows here.

2. They were also setting up Clarke as a dodgy geezer a lot earlier than I thought.

3. Trying to remember if they used the same actress for Anna that they did back end of S3.

4. Had heard something about Sheridan and Garribaldi butting heads in early S2, not happened yet it seems.

5. OH dear Londo's realised he's in over his head.

Interesting stuff here...
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Anna changed. Beth Toussaint was unavailable for the role, so they replaced her with Melissa Gilbert, who at the time was Bruce Boxleitner's wife (no, I'm not accusing BB of nepotism). When Anna returns, they actually show Bruce and Melissa's real wedding photo. It was actually a pretty clever move, because I suspect that a significant part of the original audience of the show remembers Melissa Gilbert from her role as the good girl Laura in The Little House on the Prairie (even those who never watched LHotP when it aired). I certainly did, and it gave me a bit of a jolt to realize Anna was evil.
                sigpic

Comment

1. Apparantly the Sheridan/Garribaldi butting of heads wasn't as bad as expected.

2. Green vs Purple is stupid.

3. Oh dear Londo..oh dear...

Not the greatest of eps though.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I've always had a soft spot for Londo. He's a b***ard at times, but also a lovable rogue.
                    sigpic

Comment

He was my Dad's favourite character as well.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

My favorite from that episode was Elric. Brilliant character.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                          2. Green vs Purple is stupid.
                          I actually found it amusing
                          sigpic

Suffer the dream of a world gone mad, I like it like that and I know it.
                          - R.E.M.

Comment

Ah...an ep I actually saw in a rerun circa '99...

1. Realised for certain that I had seen it before when Bagua Cadua was first mentioned...

2. Another brief viewing of the Shadows...and Maynard was a cool char...

3. First hint of a Delenn-Sheridan relationship...

Pretty solid ep, better than the last one!
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Bagna Cauda (AFAIK it means hot bath in Italian...). I enjoyed the first hint of the Delenn-Sheridan relationship. I found the conflict of the Drazi rather silly, but the solution was pretty neat.
                              sigpic

Comment

Another ep I'd managed to catch before...

1. OK...I was more surprised that the Copernicus didn't make contact with someone prior to 2259...even taking into account the Soldier of Darkness's mischief...

2. We don't often hear about what Garribaldi did in the war...

3. Could Londo be worried that this soldier of Darkness is connected to his new allies...?

4. Even Ivonova's spooked by these forces of darkness...

Tasty ep...
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X