Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch factor 9, Mr Sulu.

I'm still at episode 5.05.

When are you going to watch "In the Beginning", Digi? I need to check the order of the list I have. Might actually be slightly different with "River of Souls" coming after ItB.
    "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
      Watch factor 9, Mr Sulu.

When are you going to watch "In the Beginning", Digi? I need to check the order of the list I have. Might actually be slightly different with "River of Souls" coming after ItB.
      Well the thing is...."River of Souls" is mid-2263, the summer after season 5; while "In the Beginning" is framed in 2278 (Londo is visibly quote a bit older).

My chronological arrangement, with story framing taking precedence:
      Spoiler:
      2257 -- "The Gathering"
      2258 -- Season 1
      2259 -- Season 2
      2260 -- Season 3
      2261 -- 4.01-08, "Thirdspace", 4.09-21
      2262 -- 5.01-21
      2263 -- "The River of Souls"
      2265 -- "The Legend of the Rangers"
      2266 -- "A Call to Arms"
      2267 -- Crusade season 1 (third, chronological order)
      2271 -- "The Lost Tales"
      2278 -- "In the Beginning"
      2281 -- Sleeping in Light
      1,002,262 -- The Deconstruction of Falling Stars
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Legend of the Rangers

Ugh.... I'd heard it wasn't very good, but I wasn't really expecting it to be this bad. It started out promising enough, but then got incredibly, enormously boring as hell. None of the characters were interesting in the least (exception: G'Kar), painfully obvious that the ambassador of the race we've never seen before would be the spy, none of the regular B5 races were acting like we've come to know them like, I'm pretty sure using an escape pod as a bomb is a war crime, and holy fraaaaaaaak the zero-g weapons thing was lame. Especially during the minefield sequence. I think I've finally discovered something in the B5verse more painfully bad than TKO or Reebo & Zooty *puke*

G'Kar and the new VFX of hyperspace/jump points are pretty much the only salvageable parts of this entire experience. Wouldn't mind seeing those VFX integrated into a future release of B5. Although I'm not really clear why Minbar no longer looks like Minbar, and now looks like some weird hybrid of Coruscant, Minas Morgul, and the Cluster (Lexx).

A Call to Arms

Way, way, waaaaaay better than Legend of the Rangers. Okay, this wasn't without its problems either--it was rushed from beginning to end, nobody ever felt quite like they'd settled into their roles (even Boxleitner/Doyle/Scoggins), and the music was atrocious, but by god at least it set up an interesting premise for Crusade.

Oh, and the VFX of jump points in this was even better than the one in Legend of the Rangers (despite being made first). If I could pick and choose, I'd have B5 remastered with CtA's jump points and LotR's hyperspace. Cool effects.

And now on to Crusade!
        Last edited by DigiFluid; 06 March 2010, 02:46 PM.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Well the thing is...."River of Souls" is mid-2263, the summer after season 5; while "In the Beginning" is framed in 2278 (Londo is visibly quote a bit older).

My chronological arrangement, with story framing taking precedence:
          Spoiler:
          2257 -- "The Gathering"
          2258 -- Season 1
          2259 -- Season 2
          2260 -- Season 3
          2261 -- 4.01-08, "Thirdspace", 4.09-21
          2262 -- 5.01-21
          2263 -- "The River of Souls"
          2265 -- "The Legend of the Rangers"
          2266 -- "A Call to Arms"
          2267 -- Crusade season 1 (third, chronological order)
          2271 -- "The Lost Tales"
          2278 -- "In the Beginning"
          2281 -- Sleeping in Light
          1,002,262 -- The Deconstruction of Falling Stars
          Ah, well that is a different order than my backup dvd version. Thirdspace is in the same place as your list and the other three films in this order:

5.21 - Objects at Rest
          "The River of Souls"
          "In the Beginning"
          "A Call to Arms"
          5.22 - Sleeping in Light

My backup disk set only has seasons one - five and the four films listed above.

I might rewatch the entire B5 universe in the same order as your list when I crack open the blue boxset. Although, not sure if I fancy having Deconstruction as the final episode.

Comment

Ah, well that is a different order than my backup dvd version. Thirdspace is in the same place as your list and the other three films in this order:

5.21 - Objects at Rest
            "The River of Souls"
            "In the Beginning"
            "A Call to Arms"

5.22 - Sleeping in Light

My backup disk set only has seasons one - five and the four films listed above.
            Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad

I might rewatch the entire B5 universe in the same order as your list when I crack open the blue boxset. Although, not sure if I fancy having Deconstruction as the final episode.
            Yeah....I'm not 100% sure it sits quite right with me either. But, I'm going to approach it as being a sort of coda to the story, which itself ends with "Sleeping in Light". That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Crusade "War Zone"
            Crusade "The Long Road"
            Last edited by DigiFluid; 06 March 2010, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Crusade "Ruling from the Tomb"
              Crusade "Appearances and Other Deceits"
              Crusade "The Memory of War"
              Crusade "The Needs of Earth"

Woke up in the middle of the night, been watching Crusade. Besides the doctor (who has an attitude like Lexa Doig and a face that could shatter mirrors), I've been really really enjoying it, shame it had to end =\
              Last edited by DigiFluid; 07 March 2010, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Crusade "Racing the Night"
                Crusade "Visitors from Down the Street"
                Crusade "Each Night I Dream of Home"
                Crusade "The Path of Sorrows"
                Crusade "Patterns of the Soul"
                Crusade "The Well of Forever"
                Crusade "The Rules of the Game"

Pretty sad to see it go, even though I'm a few years later Again, not without its flaws though. A few things that bug me:
                - the intro, and its (mis)use of "who" in place of "whom" (seriously, fingernails on a chalkboard)
                - it never seems to really appropriately approach the gravity of the situation they're dealing with
                - the planet CGI in "Patterns of the Soul" is clearly Earth
                - that there's never any explanation of how they end up at places
                - no resolution of the Apocalypse Box
                - the doctor, good god. I'm telling you, a face that could shatter mirrors. I've never had anyone make me cringe so hard

Still, it had a ton of promise. Galen was awesome, and I was liking the way that the resolution of the Telepath War was slowly playing out by flashback and backstory (now I'm even more looking forward to reading the Psi Corps trilogy). I liked the occasional appearance of Capt. Lochley (who, it occurs to me, is now the longest-serving CO of Babylon 5) and the slow romance they were building between her and Gideon.

The Lost Tales

Kind of....odd in general. For all of JMS' whining about not having enough money, I think this fell a bit flat because of the stories and inconsistencies therein.

The first half was a bit much. I've always rather liked that B5 was so open-minded and inclusive when it comes to religions. And then along comes this stinker, with a message of Catholic 'correctness' that's about a subtle as a brick to the head. And why no appearance from Lt. Corwin or Zack?

The second half was much, much better but not without its own issues. I loved seeing Galen again, and Teryl Rothery, and a Centauri for the first time in I don't know how long. But a few things were rather odd. How is it that the Alliance is encroaching on Vorlon space already when it's only been 10 years? And if the Vorlons had this "quantum space" technology that's way faster than hyperspace--why were they using hyperspace for the duration of the B5 series? And then there's the Prince Regent thing....it's awfully heavily implied that he's supposed to be Cartagia's son. Except I seem to recall the reason for selecting a Regent after his death (and selecting Londo as Emperor) was because, and I quote, "Cartagia had no heirs, so there is no clear line of succession." What the hell is that all about then?

Absolutely terrific VFX though. If the series ever gets remastered, that is how I want the station and ships to look.

In the Beginning

5.22 "Sleeping in Light"

4.22 "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"

Well that was a fun ride I think next time I attack this chronologically though, I'll skip "Deconstruction" entirely. It is rather anticlimactic no matter where you place it and doesn't add much to the story overall IMO.
                Last edited by DigiFluid; 07 March 2010, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I got Seasons 2, 3 and 5 on DVD today, £13 each so couldn't resist. So far just watched 2x01 'Points of Departure' but I am watching 2x02 right now, which is 'Revelations'.

sigpic

Comment

The Hour of the Wolf through to Into the Fire...

Huh. Wasn't expecting that...

Comment

First episode of season two, plus the season intro video

Comment

War Without End

Comment

Last night: "Learning Curve".

Good episode. I've always liked this one.

Comment

Survivors and by any means necesarry.

Comment

Not today, but last night. Decided to watch an episode before going to bed. That was The Face of the Enemy.

Ended up watching the last five episodes of Season 4... Finished at 3am.
                              Last edited by Naonak; 08 April 2010, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Well I fell asleep and had to turn off my DVD player after I was watching "Parliment of Dreams" In Season 1.

Started a Babylon 5 Marathon after I just finished a TNG Marathon [Waiting on DS9 Season Box Sets to get here so I can watch Deep Space Nine along with B5]

B5 being one of my all time favorite series I haven't watched the series in about half a month since my last viewing.

So I started off Season 1:

"Midnight on the Firing Line" -Still a great episode I love it, even after all these years.....I'll still enjoy it.

"Parliment of Dreams" -Rewatched this episode since I fell asleep while watching it last night.

"Mind War"-Good introduction of the Psi-Corps into the series....

Currently Watching:
                                "The War Prayer"

Comment

Working...
                                X