The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    Hot topic in Belgium right now: "Who gets vaccinated first after the old folks and at-risk people?"

Some 40-50 year old famous morons wrote an open letter saying that this age group (which now includes me) would be more than happy to give up their place to the youngsters in the vaccination order cause it would give them some perspective on normality.

You can imagine that this did not go down well with 3/4 of people in that age bracket... and a lot of pent up frustrations were send flying into the ether.

Also, getting vaccinated doesn't actually mean you're free to do whatever you please since you're still vulnerable to getting infected -- the effects will be less or non-existent -- and you can still infect others. But that didn't cross their minds.

Youngsters on the other hand called it, in turn, a ridiculous move.

And so we're going round and round...

However, at the moment, the strategy continues to be by age group so we're looking at a summer inoculation.

One of my best friends, an ER-nurse was vaccinated last week, and one of my uncles yesterday. Both received their first shot.
    In Pennsylvania, just being fat qualifies you in cat 1A, eligible to get the shot right their in line with front line health care workers

read a few days back where some states are beginning writing protocol for no masks for the vaccinated. the main sticking point is just take ppl for their word they got it or have them carry around shot records

the U.S. being "us" i vote they pick the 'take their word for it approach'

Comment

Originally posted by magi877 View Post
      read a few days back where some states are beginning writing protocol for no masks for the vaccinated. the main sticking point is just take ppl for their word they got it or have them carry around shot records
      Being vaccinated with both shots (cause one isn't enough) doesn't mean you can leave the mask off. You can still spread the virus so unless -- in the case of Belgium -- 70% of the population is innoculated, masks are still going to be a mandatory accessory to have around.

Like, leaving the house and going over the checklist:
      * keys - check
      * phone - check
      * facemask - ... oh crap...

Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Being vaccinated with both shots (cause one isn't enough) doesn't mean you can leave the mask off. You can still spread the virus so unless -- in the case of Belgium -- 70% of the population is innoculated, masks are still going to be a mandatory accessory to have around.

Like, leaving the house and going over the checklist:
        * keys - check
        * phone - check
        * facemask - ... oh crap...

that won't happen in america or many other nations... anecdotal observation of news and other clips of video from europe and other places, it seems many nations have even worse rates of mask wearing then the US does

many governors and other officials are pushing vaxx with the point of not having to wear a mask being the selling point

on the "fat" thing and other health conditions qualifiers in PA for the vaxx; WONT BE CHECKED.. so. in theory, if i wanted the vaxx this week, all i need to do is call the local rite aide pharmacy, tell them my BMI or any other med issue on the list, then schedule the vaxx without any verification as to said med condition from my Dr

so, one could lie about their health to 'jump line' and be in the first category of ppl getting the vaxx

like just about everything else in this state and covid. there has been no enforcement, no verification... its all just strongly suggested.... when the gov put out the 'no unnecessary travel "order" last spring, somem police were stopping ppl and asking them why they were travelling.. a few ppl even got tickets. i think under the 'failure to follow' catch all

places where essential workers worked-like hospitals and food stores, were preparing "travel papers" top give to their workers.... When asked if this was necessary the Gov just said "no.. there is no mandate to law enforcement to enforce or punish"

so why give an order to start with.... i was a career soldier.. orders are NOT given to be ignored

Comment

many governors and other officials are pushing vaxx with the point of not having to wear a mask being the selling point
          Yeah, a lot of people over here are of the same mind, but that was rectified again this week when there was that open letter about vaccinating the younger ones first. It doesn't mean all goes back to normal. That had to be repeated.

so why give an order to start with.... i was a career soldier.. orders are NOT given to be ignored
          Exactly.

Belgium has decided not use the AstraZeneca vaccine for anyone over 55, and only give it to the 18 to 55 age bracket.

Comment

that won't happen in america or many other nations... anecdotal observation of news and other clips of video from europe and other places, it seems many nations have even worse rates of mask wearing then the US does

on the "fat" thing and other health conditions qualifiers in PA for the vaxx; WONT BE CHECKED.. so. in theory, if i wanted the vaxx this week, all i need to do is call the local rite aide pharmacy, tell them my BMI or any other med issue on the list, then schedule the vaxx without any verification as to said med condition from my Dr

so, one could lie about their health to 'jump line' and be in the first category of ppl getting the vaxx

like just about everything else in this state and covid. there has been no enforcement, no verification... its all just strongly suggested.... when the gov put out the 'no unnecessary travel "order" last spring, somem police were stopping ppl and asking them why they were travelling.. a few ppl even got tickets. i think under the 'failure to follow' catch all

places where essential workers worked-like hospitals and food stores, were preparing "travel papers" top give to their workers.... When asked if this was necessary the Gov just said "no.. there is no mandate to law enforcement to enforce or punish"

re: bolded

what if you were given an order to commit genocide?

makes me wonder how many conscientious objectors there were to being ordered to drop nukes on Japan before they finally found people willing to do it

also: not sure why I have to add a URL just to make a post but it keeps giving me an error message to add a valid URL when I click "post reply"

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
              Follow the order and commit genocide.
              Don't follow the order and risk court martial for treason, which is most likely punishable by death.

Interesting idea to discuss -- but unfortunately outside of the scope of this thread.
              Also, I have no space left in PM so I couldn't continue this conversation in a PM -- just for the record. I need to clean house first.

also: not sure why I have to add a URL just to make a post but it keeps giving me an error message to add a valid URL when I click "post reply"
              Bug in the current software on which the forum runs.

Comment

Follow the order and commit genocide.
                Don't follow the order and risk court martial for treason, which is most likely punishable by death.

Interesting idea to discuss -- but unfortunately outside of the scope of this thread.
                Also, I have no space left in PM so I couldn't continue this conversation in a PM -- just for the record. I need to clean house first.

Bug in the current software on which the forum runs.
                So basically the people running this forum going around fixing things that weren't broken to begin with.....old software for this forum was just fine....but noooo they had to go and upgrade it and break it in the process

Comment

Yeah, a lot of people over here are of the same mind, but that was rectified again this week when there was that open letter about vaccinating the younger ones first. It doesn't mean all goes back to normal. That had to be repeated.

Exactly.

Belgium has decided not use the AstraZeneca vaccine for anyone over 55, and only give it to the 18 to 55 age bracket.
                  younger as in 20 and 30 yr olds?this i agree with,, given the nature of how so many can have the virus and be asymptomatic AND how it is those in this demographic that are out and about more AND who also interact with the more vulnerable older parents and grands

but, here it is such an emotionally charged and so very "american" issue--as in everything seems to be ruled by emotion these days.. "save the elderly first" now matter how much the science and data show that if the elderly are protected either at home or in a nursing home, and if care personnel are vaccinated and PPE'd up, then the elderly would be ok (how places like florida had a lower elderly infection rate then places like NY due to diff policies)

but.. 20- 64 yr olds here, with out being a med worker or other essential or have existing conditions, are att he bottom of the list

Comment

So basically the people running this forum going around fixing things that weren't broken to begin with.....old software for this forum was just fine....but noooo they had to go and upgrade it and break it in the process
                    or just have used the effort and switch to xenforo... this upgrade here, still doesn't match it.. all IMO of course

Comment

re: bolded

makes me wonder how many conscientious objectors there were to being ordered to drop nukes on Japan before they finally found people willing to do it

well.. purges and censoring aside for this.. why? because YOU just do not get to drop that old and tired "bomb" of a comment about following orders unchallenged
                      its old,tiring and baseless and if i did not respond in some way then you and others get to say "oh got him on that military orders thing"

and, you are actually citing a star trek database on this? note- ST is NOT reality

an order, such as you suggest, is not a legal one.... every soldier is able to make and is indeed required to, make that decision at the moment of the order

no matter the exigency that may exist as a reason for the order being given

99% of all orders are given, in writing, far ahead of any operation. the orders are briefed, Q and A session after.. very major operations go through the unit's legal team first to ensure they do comply with law of land warfare

PLEASE STOP USING HOLLYWOOD examples to demonstrate your "military knowledge"... you are not good at it.. so stop... whats next.. are you going to lay down the "never heard in the army for my 20 yrs " nonsense of "with all due respect..." SO NOT a military phrase

so many ppl here trying to oh so gently shove topics into real world politics.. happened a few weeks back on a SG thread..

et tu, insaniam custos portae, et tu?

Comment

younger as in 20 and 30 yr olds?
                        By younger age brackets, it means 18 to 25 year olds.

Which if they are so much more important can come and do my job instead then... I'm sure they are keeping the economy running while they're at college or in school.

Comment

Our Prime Minister has announced today that there won't be an ease of restrictions coming... the curves do not allow it at the moment.

People will have to wait a little while longer to book those hairdresser appointments.

Comment

Our Prime Minister has announced today that there won't be an ease of restrictions coming... the curves do not allow it at the moment.

People will have to wait a little while longer to book those hairdresser appointments.
                            our barbers and hair salons are opened in PA .. have been for a long while.. up to owner if they want t odo by appt or not, capacity rules apply still... both client and barer in mask

same with nail salons and massage places.. yes even those other types of massage places are opened under same guidelines... does seem absurd though,, in a legit or otherwise massage place- client being nearly naked but wearing a mask... weird

Comment

There's a briefing today so later we'll know what's coming in the next few months.

Whether zoo's can open again -- museums are and they are indoors, so logic has lost me there.
                              And whether holiday parks and amusement parks (like zoo's) can open again.

Comment

So I was vaccinated with the Pfizer shot 3 days ago. So far, so good. Had one day of dull pain at the injection site, limited mobility in that arm and slightly elevated temperature, the next day everything was normal again. Second shot March 2.
                                If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Working...
                                X