No announcement yet.

The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, those 50 million ... of which 1 million will go to Belgium...

But I got a shot today...

...against Tetanus.

I'm taking what I can get.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well, I've got it. I had my first Moderna shot on April 8th, and yesterday I went in to our local ER because I couldn't breathe, had the horrible chills, etc. Turns out I have COVID, and a nasty bladder infection along with it. So now I'm quarantined at home for 10 days, along with my husband. It sucks being sick!
      Turas Sábháilte, Baile Sábháilte
      (Safe Journey, Safe Home.)

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
        Well, I've got it. I had my first Moderna shot on April 8th, and yesterday I went in to our local ER because I couldn't breathe, had the horrible chills, etc. Turns out I have COVID, and a nasty bladder infection along with it. So now I'm quarantined at home for 10 days, along with my husband. It sucks being sick!
        Well, one shot doesn't cover you but at least you'll build up some immunity the natural way... Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

"Smile", they said. "Things could get worse"

So I smiled, and sure enough things got worse! Mmo9zFu.gif

But seriously, I do hope things do not get worse for you & you can soon be back to normal (whatever 'normal' is these days), and that your husband doesn't catch it.
          http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Belgium: Hold our beer! (it's the best in the world anyway)

As of today, the travel restrictions are no more. However, almost every country in Europe is tinted bright red and thus requires quarantine after, and most countries have quarantine rules after entering so I was thinking of going to the Netherlands for a daytrip, to check out its biggest iron/bronze age burial hill but I would have to quarantine for 10 days... so we're basically still under restriction, just in a very creative kind of way.

Comment

Found this on Yahoo this afternoon. Seems like poetic justice, I think!
              https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...130610881.html

Comment

Originally posted by imzadi35 View Post
                Found this on Yahoo this afternoon. Seems like poetic justice, I think!
                https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...130610881.html
                Many have gone before him, though. He's not the first and most certainly not the last.

It's like being a poacher on the run and getting trampled by a herd of elephants... oh wait, that actually happened in South-Africa.

Comment

European Union complaining about the explicit travel restrictions Belgium had in place during the past few months, but countries pretty much restricting travel in not so subtle ways is okay.

Example: in The Netherlands going out for drinks is okay from the 28th of April onwards, but Belgians shouldn't hope to join them because they have a quarantine in place of 10 days or 5 days if you test negative -- even if you're only coming in for one day.

Comment

Update on our abysmal vaccination state... we started in the second week of January and Belgium has 9 million adults in total. My country is vaccinating old to young but with an added priority to medical care workers, elder care workers, elder home residents, prison guards, seafaring people, pregnant women, police, olympic athletes, at-risk people, volunteers at vaccination centers.

On the 27th of April we had a vaccination total of 2,798,456 first shots which equals to 30.5% of the adult population. 765,793 of this number received their second shot.

We have Pfizer (delivers as promised and on time), AstraZeneca (deliveries are iffy at best and can't be sure about the amount, could be a lot or could be half of a lot -- restricted to ages 41 years and older), Moderna (delivers as promised but timing and amount are a toss-up) and Johnson&Johnson (delivered 30K in April, but have a standing order of 5 million dosages -- no age restriction even though it's the same junk as AZ and thus that rare blood clotting is a risk, a risk which doubles the younger you are).

We have to wait for an invitation but can enroll in a back-up list, called Qvax (I kid you not), but back-up doesn't automatically mean you'll get it sooner. The list works old to young, and not first-come-first-serve. No guarantee you'll get it sooner than your invitation, depending on your age category. In my case, that would be June 2021 (maybe).

Since we're moving at snailpace, chances are our shots could happen during the summer in which case our strategist want us to postpone our holidays in favor of the shot. Then again, we need a digital passport to proof we have been vaccinated, tested negative 48h prior to departure or have immunization from a recent infection with corona. Otherwise, there's no going on holiday abroad.

Vaccine privileges are currently a hot topic in which some higher ups want to give more freedom to those who've been fully vaccinated. There will be a riot when that happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                      Update on our abysmal vaccination state... we started in the second week of January and Belgium has 9 million adults in total. My country is vaccinating old to young but with an added priority to medical care workers, elder care workers, elder home residents, prison guards, seafaring people, pregnant women, police, olympic athletes, at-risk people, volunteers at vaccination centers.

On the 27th of April we had a vaccination total of 2,798,456 first shots which equals to 30.5% of the adult population. 765,793 of this number received their second shot.

We have Pfizer (delivers as promised and on time), AstraZeneca (deliveries are iffy at best and can't be sure about the amount, could be a lot or could be half of a lot -- restricted to ages 41 years and older), Moderna (delivers as promised but timing and amount are a toss-up) and Johnson&Johnson (delivered 30K in April, but have a standing order of 5 million dosages -- no age restriction even though it's the same junk as AZ and thus that rare blood clotting is a risk, a risk which doubles the younger you are).

We have to wait for an invitation but can enroll in a back-up list, called Qvax (I kid you not), but back-up doesn't automatically mean you'll get it sooner. The list works old to young, and not first-come-first-serve. No guarantee you'll get it sooner than your invitation, depending on your age category. In my case, that would be June 2021 (maybe).

Since we're moving at snailpace, chances are our shots could happen during the summer in which case our strategist want us to postpone our holidays in favor of the shot. Then again, we need a digital passport to proof we have been vaccinated, tested negative 48h prior to departure or have immunization from a recent infection with corona. Otherwise, there's no going on holiday abroad.

Vaccine privileges are currently a hot topic in which some higher ups want to give more freedom to those who've been fully vaccinated. There will be a riot when that happens.
                      Qvax? Does that mean Q is administering the shots?

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                        Qvax? Does that mean Q is administering the shots?
                        That would be cool.

Our vaccinations are finally moving along, more and more people are getting their letters for appointments. They are still slowly going down in age, and my age range is in view, but apparently they are still confident that around the 11th of July -- the anniversary of the Battle of the Golden Spurs from 1302, an important day for Flanders -- everyone in Flanders over the age of 18 has had at least one shot

Which still means that planning holidays is a bit hard since we have to plan it around the follow-up shot if you were vaccinated with Pfizer, Moderna or AstraZeneca (this one off-limits to everyone 40 years and younger). I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Pfizer shot.

They build us a tool to check when we would be getting our letters to get vaccinated, and according to the tool I should be expecting my invitation somewhere in the first week of June, so that my appointment falls 2 weeks later, around the 14th June. My sister's would be a week later. Which would mean, our second shot would either fall just in our vacation and we'd have to postpone that, or miss it by a week.

Comment

Just got my second Moderna shot yesterday, and I feel like crap! My arm hurts where they gave me the shot, I feel prickly all over, tired and achy. It also hurts to take a deep breath sometimes. I'm glad I don't have to get any more shots right now, but they're talking about a booster shot later in the summer. I'm NOT looking forward to that.

Comment

LOL!! It'll be a miracle if everyone is vaccinated by the end of the year... who needs boosters when you haven't even gotten the original shot.

Comment

Wow... my aunt just bailed out (cancelled) her visit with me taking her all around town shopping today, so that gives me a really good start-off for today. I seriously dreaded taking her out for other reasons, but am doing *happy dance!*. Was not sure if I could take her anywhere since I had to get my CV19 vaccine (and got it for too many other reasons regarding permission to work in certain places)...

So, before anyone comments or complains, I HAD to *wait* until the state opened up *healthy* folks like me were eligible to get it. I had been and will still continue to use the zinc, D3, Vitamin C, Selenium and Magnesium treatment.

My boss-boss was super paranoid until she heard I *was* actually "thinking" about getting the vaccine, even tho I have had severe, adverse reactions to flu shots. When she heard I was actually taking time off to get the vaccine, then she finally breathed a sigh of relief and could almost hear her saying "Hallelujah!!!" even tho she brags about being an agnostic/atheist. For 2 months she had been wearing 2 masks (KN95 plus another one on top), and only stopped being overly paranoid this week. She was fully vaccinated (completed 2 injections) a few weeks ago.

Sorry FH... I know how much you have been *wanting* these vaccines... I would have given you mine, but life just isn't fair. I managed to stay healthy enough most of 2020, and dodged getting the bug even after several times of being exposed to it... I think the vitamin menu for immune therapy helped (and significantly helps) a whole lot!

Expecting FH to hurl daggers at my post now... That's okay. This is one time I approve of your adverse reaction of my writing... Please don't be too jealous of me... it was difficult to keep quiet, but I wanted to wait until after I got my final CV19 vaccine.

So, yeah, my arm hurts -- lots of tenderness now, even tho I barely felt the 2nd dose going in at all, but that's better than what some folks have been enduring after their vaccines. First dose felt like (icy?) hot fire serum going in the area and I felt it lingering ...thought the needle was still in, but heard the nurse dispense the needle. Only had about 3 hours of achy arm pain with the first dose. Second one was stealthy... barely felt a pinch on my arm and whoosh it was done! 3 hours later, then the soreness began, so I knew only then that "something" actually went into the arm. And for FH, I had the Pfizer vaccine.

Key advice for vaccinated folks: HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!!! Even in the middle of the night to pp, drink some water. Your body will thank you in the morning (reduces headaches). Any dehydration will show up in nasty intestinal and bowel issues, or swelling of ankles, etc. Cucumbers seem to help with edema issues, but still you need to drink more water or juices (about half of your body weight in ounces... 100 pounds would = 50 ounces). Water is recommended over other drinks, tho... even if it is bottled drinking water.

Just a word of caution tho... both my nieces (ages 40 and 38) got both Moderna doses and both girls had got deathly ill with high fevers, vomiting, the works. 2nd dose gave my younger niece a nasty rash infection -- like 2nd degree sunburn (peeling / raw skin layers), and I'm not sure what else she said.

Main reason why I got the vaccine was because the state basically forced me to, even tho they will deny it. Some employers are actually working such a clause into their hiring and employment status, just because...(?!) I could see the *evil eye* at work from my boss, on what she could do to oust me, should I fail to get vaccinated (employer policy states TPTB reserve the "right" to fire employee without notice and without explanation).

If I want to work on one of my volunteer jobs, and I am NOT vaccinated, but someone gets COVID19 while I am working on the site... even tho I might not have the virus or pass it on if I did, I would be held liable for the mass hysteria that would surely follow and could be $$$sued into oblivion, as a result. At least with the vaccine, the state is less likely to target fully vaccinated people if some customer shows up and complains they got COVID from being at that place on such and such a date. Sad world to live in, but this is our current reality.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              Ah yes, those 50 million ... of which 1 million will go to Belgium...

But I got a shot today...

...against Tetanus.

I'm taking what I can get.
                              I would have gladly given you mine, if that was possible, but that's not how the system works...

Comment

I seemed to have developped a keen eye to subtly ignore the "I got vaccinated" posts from most people in the US -- on twitter that's literally an artform.

I am obviously jealous but at the same time I'm all meh... I'm now looking at the vaccinated populations as the ultimate petri-dish and see how the vaccine handles the variants cause hello... y'all might be vaccinated, most of the world isn't and look, even the Seychelles are going back into lockdown and they have a vaccination rate of 61% of the population.

Oh, and the CDC has given the OK for fully vaccinated people to go about their lives like there isn't still a pandemic so I'm curious to see how that will end.

I was in favor of the vaccine patent waiver until I read an article in which it was equated to releasing the formula but not the know-how so it would be utterly pointless, and considering the USA still sits on a no-export-policy of vaccines and the ingredients to make them... it really doesn't matter whether the patents are waived or not.

While all you are getting a booster shot... the world is still working on that first vaccine and the virus gets plenty opportunity to evolve. A friend said earlier during a Skype meet that she read an article by some epidemiologist who wrote that a corona virus needs 5 years before it becomes nothing but a cold virus... so if we're lucky we have only 3 more years to suffer.

Also, in a completely unrelated note: I'm glad to hear from you SGAlisa. I was starting to get a little worried.

Comment

Working...
                                X