The Covid19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    I actually tested positive a few weeks ago but I honestly had a very light reaction
    Lucky you!

A great aunt of one of my friends, well into her 80ties going on 90 with dementia and weighing just under 40 kilos, was infected a couple of weeks ago. Was at death's door too, in a coma and everything. Her family was allowed in to say their final goodbyes.

Met my friend this weekend who informed me that this old lady was back on her feet, wheeling around in her wheelchair like nothing had happened.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I just got word that my 90+ something aunt declined to get the vaccine. Good for her! When I talked to her, she yelled at me for the nurse calling me up and telling me *personal* info that my aunt was not aware of. Uhhh, sorry.. I'm on the "contact list" and TPTB thought that was an important issue to notify me about. Still got yelled at by my 90+ year old aunt for finding out via "the grapevine" of nurses. Oh did she want NAMEs because she was going to give them "what for.."!!! Very feisty aunt, she is.

Somehow I think my aunt will be dying alone and not even be bothered by it.
      Sometimes this bothers me, and other times (like the above, after my aunt yelled at me for finding out from someone other than herself) I could care less. Sad to feel that way about someone you try to care about, and they don't let you *care* except on their terms.

Comment

Long rant... sorry, this *needs* to be stated. There may be other people NOT posting on this forum who have had to deal with what I did this *festive-less* season and may have similar feelings, too. So...

In the NAME of COVID19 or whatever variant # gets attached to it, I know many of *you* posting in this thread are anti-get-together for mostly anything any more. And that includes Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, and anything that previously was a happy event is now a frowned upon "DO NOT do it!!!" event.

So, with that said, this Christmas 2020 soured me into turning into Scrooge. Sorry... folks, but when family tells me in years PAST to come and "celebrate" even when I'm sick and kept my *distance* for their sakes, then they inform me this year to STAY HOME even while I am healthy and they dare not move out of their hidey-hole home, it grated on my nerves. Such MAMA Dramas, OMG. Totally put on act, because of all of the "COVID19" scare-mongering that just continued ad Nauseum, going on. Sorry, but I see that as total hypocrisy comparing their attitudes of past years to 2020. BTW... they NEVER ever come here (not handicapped equipped, and only 1 second floor toilet facilities), but not even a phone call from them... just messages on FB about them feeling *ignored*... seriously?! Life is a 2-way street folks... just a phone call away... dial and maybe I will speak with them! Jeesh... totally unreal.

For one thing, this same family who told us to stay HOME, decided to send cards... Sorry... didn't know we were doing that, especially since "GERMS" might be on them. Jeesh. And no such thing as dropping a gift off without any contact at all. Don't even bother ... just mail it (hubby said it was cheaper to do that instead, anyway). Let the mail system get GERMS all over those packages and cards instead, and wipe them down once they arrive. Unbelievable.

Cards I had this year were accumulated from years previous. Still have enough to go around for another year, if necessary. So, they were NOT COVID19 infected. If we ever had it, it was December 2019/January 2020; or contact with it was in March-April 2020 from neighbor/friend. Every month, via "social media" (because they don't know how to use a telephone!) our relatives all knew we were NOT contaminated with COVID19... had tests done.. all Negative for COVID19, and that includes recent surgery and pretesting, etc. (My relatives...) Family People are really dumb this year... FEAR controlled their entire year. FEAR from them BEGGED at us to NOT go to restaurants... and they posted diagrams on FB to prove WHY it's so dangerous to even do so "indoors" that is. Nevermind, sealing up an outdoor tent in winter is just as bad, IMHO. Plus, people get sick from weather related issues in outdoor eating settings... again, IMHO.

When it came to gifts this *Christmas*? Oh, they wanted to spend the usual because they are loaded, even in retirement years... *plenty* of giving to go around from them. I told my hubby a few years ago, why are we passing the same gift back and forth to each other? Why don't they just keep their money (that's basically their gift in gift certificate form, same one they ask us to give to them), and save the hassle of having to spend shipping charges? In years past, I never stopped the dressing up of a gift that seemed meaningless, but this year, it was just too much... emotionally. I couldn't handle the MAMA drama that went on from their side. I have tears in my eyes even now, because it pains me too much to think about.

Nieces and nephews got reduced to just cards this year. They're all over 30 years old and only one has ever gone out of her way to give us something, even tho we asked her not to because she really can't afford it! The rest of them... never even acknowledged missing anything, par usual. My sister asked me if any of them ever said "thank you!!!" in years past... I said, "No." She said, then don't bother... we are about to retire and need that money to pay other bills and needs soon. Seriously, I've given from my heart in years past, because most of them needed help... now they are better off and along, but I still felt bad for NOT giving anything. My sister said to Just don't even mention anything... maybe they won't notice. Sad, sad world we now live in.

As for visiting the other side of the family who *wanted* us to stay away from them this year... hope they enjoyed being alone. Not even a phone call. Just flat-cardboard like FB greetings. Well, the flooding rains helped keep my hubby and me busy Christmas day... got to spend all day in PJ's ... loved every minute of that and NOT driving to someone else's home, whose conversations seemed to always strain out the welcome mat. But regardless of past performances, it's the WHY behind all of that, which makes this Christmas / holiday season such a depressing downer one. I hated that downer part. Oh... and the "don't bother us in person" family, well, they haven't seen us since last Christmas 2019. Guess we'll never see each other again at this rate.

I hate to say "good riddens... enjoy your sad little, lonely life"... because it's too tempting to scream it out. I --and they-- live in the same COVID forced-shut down state. Nevermind I was very sick coughing and sneezing last year (had meds to help calm some of that down), but they let me in last year (AND years past with similar cold/cough bugs) anyway... AND none of them ever got sick from whatever mystery bug I had...BTW. They have let their current 2020 fears rule their decisions... so who goes shopping for them now? I can't afford hiring out such wonders, and besides, I like to SEE and pick out my own grocery food items! Got too many bad items when someone else did it for me in the past. So, best to do it myself... mask up and all that other "for the *sake and safety* of COVID!!!" reasons. Ugh.

I feel like such a good little robot... no emotions necessary after this year's demanding fiascos. I think true personalities are surfacing from the (PC) side of the family. Maybe this is for the best. If I never see them again, BECAUSE OF COVID... so be it. Their loss, not mine. Perhaps there never was a genuine relationship, but something else just for "show" appearances. Now on the other extreme, my blood-born sister would love to see me, but distance across several states separates us, and finances makes it nearly impossible. COVID19 (traveling/quarantine) restrictions reinforce our separation. Yet we yack every week via phone (at least there is that!), moreso than the in-law family who are just a short drive down the road.

Like I said -- it's a sad, sorrowful world when families act like that and don't give another thought about "missing" you. Our world is dividing in more ways than one. This is just one hideous example. Maybe it's for the best for whatever is left of our entire future. IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by SGalisa View Post
          I just got word that my 90+ something aunt declined to get the vaccine. Good for her! When I talked to her, she yelled at me for the nurse calling me up and telling me *personal* info that my aunt was not aware of. Uhhh, sorry.. I'm on the "contact list" and TPTB thought that was an important issue to notify me about. Still got yelled at by my 90+ year old aunt for finding out via "the grapevine" of nurses. Oh did she want NAMEs because she was going to give them "what for.."!!! Very feisty aunt, she is.

Somehow I think my aunt will be dying alone and not even be bothered by it.
          Sometimes this bothers me, and other times (like the above, after my aunt yelled at me for finding out from someone other than herself) I could care less. Sad to feel that way about someone you try to care about, and they don't let you *care* except on their terms.
          We got "family" like that too.....one of my aunts (my mom's oldest sister) and her family we don't interact with at all anymore because she turned into such a snobby *insert rhyme for "witch" here*

Comment

Vaccinations will start tomorrow.

So far only the Pfizer one is approved, and vaccinations start with inhabitants of care facilities for the elderly and personnel working there, including volunteers, followed by medical personnel and first responders.

In the meantime, infections have gone down again... slowly at least. The new UK variant was detected in a few cases but limited and had their source traced back to someone who had recently been in the UK. We are still in partial lockdown, at least until halfway January.

Mind you, gatherings, to celebrate Christmas, of more than 4 people weren't allowed outside, and inside only 1 other person could come over, or 2 if you are on your own.

These rules do not apply on the 31st so celebrating new year's isn't happening this year.
            Besides our curfews are still in place -- midnight to 5am for Flanders, 10pm to 5am for Brussels Region and Walloon.

Travelling is ill-advised and if you do travel, you have a mandatory 14-day quarantaine to abide by, and testing for those who return from a zone indicated as red (which is basically all of Europe right now).

Beyond that, not much has changed.

Comment

I am genuinely amazed that I have (so far) managed to avoid Da 'Rona. In the UK, Especially in the (former) manufacturing heartland of the North East, a lot of cases were reported and they still do crop up. Because we are mostly manufacturing, here, we're considered able to work on site since we can't work from home which is certainly not helping the infection rates.

There has been some consternation about us being slapped with a tier 3 lockdown as London with it's higher rate of infection and infractions scraped by on tier 2. But with the recent mutation problems, we've welcomed the Londoners with open arms into a higher tier. I've dubbed tier 3 "The pity party" because everyone always seems to blame everyone else for landing us here, despite the fact I counted at least 2 dozen people walking around without a mask on in my local shop within 20 minutes. My own mother refuses to wear one because they give her panic attacks. I told her bluntly that if thats how she wants to play it, she should be self-isolating and not going out. I won't repeat the comeback. Nobody social distances, they all think that this is going to end on January 1st.

Over Christmas, partner and I had a frank discussion with everyone around the ever present danger and our need to be careful even in times like these. We bank transferred money to each family member for christmas (even the kids, too) and told them to buy something nice. This was met with some pushback by the parents, but the brother and sisters all accepted this with a nod of understanding.

I, physically, would be ravaged by Covid. My lungs are already scarred and damaged thanks to lifelong asthma. If I were to contract it, it's my sincere belief that I would be in ICU on a ventilator within a week of showing symptoms. My partner has a medical condition that becomes aggravated by stress on the body and mind. He would not fare well, either.

We are continuing to mask up, to social-distance, to do everything right in a place where everyone now is so weary of following guidelines that change by the hour that they disregard it entirely.

I feel like I'm entering the Twilight Zone now. I'm not insane, you're all insane!

Mask up, wash your hands, stay safe, Gaters.
              2020 so bad I wanna go back to 2007. Hey guys.
              sigpic

Comment

Hey, who isn't in (semi)lockdown these days...

Not a word New Zealand!!

Do we even have any Kiwis around?

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                  Hey, who isn't in (semi)lockdown these days...

Not a word New Zealand!!

Do we even have any Kiwis around?
                  Very true. Seems everywhere has some form of lockdown.

Ugh, did you see the photo of their first rugby game? Packed stands, excited crowds, people you haven't been locked in a house with for 9 months. It must be glorious!!
                  sigpic

Comment

We personally here in Western Australia have not been locked down, not asked or forced to wear masks. Our state government has locked us down (closed our borders to the rest of Australia, anmd the rest of the world for most of the year.
                    We are just now starting to allow the other states to enter as their covid cases decrease, but still no international visitors.
                    We do have restrictions on numbers allowed at sporting venues, & limits on the number of people allowed to congregate in shops, restaurants and such like.
                    But over all we have not been as badly impacted by the virus.
                    http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by susanne1 View Post
                      Ugh, did you see the photo of their first rugby game? Packed stands, excited crowds, people you haven't been locked in a house with for 9 months. It must be glorious!!
                      Things we can dream about...

It'll certainly be a year or two to remember. The roaring twenties of the new millenium certainly didn't start as roaring as they did in the 20th century.

Comment

Things we can dream about...

It'll certainly be a year or two to remember. The roaring twenties of the new millenium certainly didn't start as roaring as they did in the 20th century.
                        Depending on how you look at it, it really isn't. Spanish flu was active well into 1920 I believe. This is history repeating itself
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by susanne1 View Post
                          Depending on how you look at it, it really isn't. Spanish flu was active well into 1920 I believe. This is history repeating itself
                          Yeah, we definitely have not learned our lesson.

Anyways... in the meantime, we soldier on. Just read an article about anti-vaxxers harassing the families of the people who were vaccinated at a few select carehomes yesterday.

Comment

Not in the slightest. Humans, unfortunately, never do.

Seriously? That's dumb as hell and I had a low opinion of anti-vaxxers anyway. I'm itching to get that vaccination but a quick quiz on our NHS website says I'm unlikely to get it until mid-February at the earliest as there are several higher risk categories in front of me, which is completely understandable. I've seen such an uptick on the internet lately from anti-vaxxers and conspiracy theorists about this vaccine and the disease as a whole that just sickens me. The spread of disinformation is disturbing.
                            sigpic

Comment

Just read an article about anti-vaxxers harassing the families of the people who were vaccinated at a few select carehomes yesterday.
                              I believe in live and let live. If people want to get the needle that is their right. If people do not want to get the needle that is their right.

If and when we get offered the vaccination I may hold off till I (and the ones dishing it out) are sure of side effects, but I intend getting it. That way I will be protected from the anti-vaxxers who may or may not die from their stupidity.
                              http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

I believe in just frigging do it.
                                It's like masks, it's not there to protect you, it's to protect others from you. Anti-vaxxers are just screwed in the head and their is a certain point where "freedom of choice" becomes "my rights are more important than yours"
                                If you want to think that way, go back into lockdown for life.
                                I get tested for covid every month because I work in retail and it is my responsibility to take care of my co-workers and customers, and it costs me working time to do it, but it is the right thing to do.
                                Why is it so hard for people to think about other people??
                                Just frigging do it.
                                Last edited by Gatefan1976; 29 December 2020, 06:22 AM.
                                sigpic
                                ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                                A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                                The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X