No announcement yet.

Artwork for All - challenges, graphics, tutorials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RiG, as Jumble says, don't worry too much about the selective color thing - that's very picture-specific anyway. When I add that bit into tuts it's more to give you an idea of what I did on the colour adjustments rather than because the settings are necessarily going to work if you copy them yourself, as different pictures will need different colour adjustments for different effects The rest of the tut should be translatable into Gimp.
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by Estrela View Post

I opted to try something really different and challenging (for me). I know this is goofy but it kept me giggling while I was working on it. I decided to try this tut and turned Ellen DeGeneres into a manga character. Why Ellen? Because she was more of a challenge.

[UR]http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/estrela4ja/Artwork%20for%20All/th_Manga-Ellen-DeGeneres---byEstrela.jpg[/URL]
      This is neat! Checked out the tut but I can't figure out what program was used. Am I missing (seeing) it?

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
      She uses PS - Gimp doesn't have selective colouring and I can't remember if there is anything similar Tbh, I didn't follow the selective colouring very much, just adjusted things until I was happy with the result
      Ah, thanks.

Originally posted by josiane View Post
      RiG, as Jumble says, don't worry too much about the selective color thing - that's very picture-specific anyway. When I add that bit into tuts it's more to give you an idea of what I did on the colour adjustments rather than because the settings are necessarily going to work if you copy them yourself, as different pictures will need different colour adjustments for different effects The rest of the tut should be translatable into Gimp.
      Okay, got it. Thank you. *feels dumb*
      sigpic
      Sig by ME.

Comment

She uses PS - Gimp doesn't have selective colouring and I can't remember if there is anything similar Tbh, I didn't follow the selective colouring very much, just adjusted things until I was happy with the result
        Originally posted by josiane View Post
        Chiming in on the conversation.

Gimp has something similar to selective coloring, but you have to use more tricks to get it. I can usually get the same look as selective coloring using the Channel Mixer, Curves, and sometimes Color Balance or Levels. Though, the last two on that list aren't my usual technique..... I like them, but I like the Channel Mixer a LOT more.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder if Power Director wood recognize that? I've never tried, just automatically ripped and converted because that's how I learned to do it
          If I recall, a lot of my early videos I used VOB formats direct from DVD Shirink in Powerdirector. I haven't made a video from VOB files for some time though so not sure if it still works.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ladygris View Post
            Chiming in on the conversation.

Gimp has something similar to selective coloring, but you have to use more tricks to get it. I can usually get the same look as selective coloring using the Channel Mixer, Curves, and sometimes Color Balance or Levels. Though, the last two on that list aren't my usual technique..... I like them, but I like the Channel Mixer a LOT more.
            Right...but so much work!

I think I'm gonna have to give up on this tut. Gimp doesn't have anything like a "magic wand" tool to erase the background from the S texture and the darn layer masking doesn't want to work for me. I'm not liking what I have so far, so, yeah. Gonna call this one a bust.
            sigpic
            Sig by ME.

Comment

Actually, GIMP does have something similar to a magic wand - it's called "Fuzzy Select"
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
                This is neat! Checked out the tut but I can't figure out what program was used. Am I missing (seeing) it?
                Nope, you didn't miss it because they didn't say. It was written for Photoshop. Sorry, I don't know if it's translatable for GIMP. I'd love it if someone gave it a try and let us know though.

I had a go at Josi's tut. Fun fun fun! Here's my result:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                  If I recall, a lot of my early videos I used VOB formats direct from DVD Shirink in Powerdirector. I haven't made a video from VOB files for some time though so not sure if it still works.
                  Ok, I'll give it a try next time I get inspired Thanks

Originally posted by Estrela View Post
                  Nope, you didn't miss it because they didn't say. It was written for Photoshop. Sorry, I don't know if it's translatable for GIMP. I'd love it if someone gave it a try and let us know though.

I had a go at Josi's tut. Fun fun fun! Here's my result:

http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/o...-byEstrela.jpg
                  That's a very nice take on that tut, and another totally different one

Comment

Hey artlers!
                    Just wanted to know if there will be another Secret Santa this year. Just to be on the safe side, not that I participating too much (and last year was definetely a lot of fun ).

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                    Sig & Avi by Josi
                    sigpic
                    LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                    I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

Originally posted by Hyndara71 View Post
                      Hey artlers!
                      Just wanted to know if there will be another Secret Santa this year. Just to be on the safe side, not that I participating too much (and last year was definetely a lot of fun ).
                      There probably will be - will discuss it with Josi and Sarai later this week

Speaking of which, can I put in a plea for everyone to send this week's entries to Josi as soon as possible so that the post can be prepared in advance? We're all going up to AT6 so will be very busy

Thanks

Comment

There probably will be - will discuss it with Josi and Sarai later this week

Speaking of which, can I put in a plea for everyone to send this week's entries to Josi as soon as possible so that the post can be prepared in advance? We're all going up to AT6 so will be very busy

Thanks
                        Thank you for the answer, Jumble

Sig & Avi by Josi
                        sigpic
                        LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)

Comment

I love the sig Estrela... I love how everyone's take on the tut has different colors

I think I'll try out that tut as well and implement it into something I'm working on for my secret santa on the Sam/Jack Appreciation thread. I love the idea of secret santa so I'm totally in if we do it here as long as we know about it in advance and have a chance to put together something

I'm sorry I haven't participated in the last two weeks I've been so busy spending every available PS moment working on my secret santa project but I absolutely love everyone's art!!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Don't worry, meredithe! Same for me - well, not so much santa because (like the most times) I don't get something back but I'm busy making some christmas-stuff for some friends - and official banners for a David-G.-fansite *proud iz*

Sig & Avi by Josi
                            sigpic

Comment

I've never written a tutorial before, so I'm going try this today (unfortunately it's for PS and not Gimp). If you're someone who like grunge and blending/duplicating layers, this is for you.

We'll be making this:

What you will need: Pictures of your models, texture 1, texture 2, texture 3, texture 4.

Before we begin, find your models. You will need 2 images. I'm using Cate Blanchett as mine (love that woman).

If your pictures of your models are in colour, desaturate them (Image > Adjustments > Desaturate)

1. Open a black document to 640 x 410 pixels. Paste texture 1, resize if needed and position it to the left. Then paste both images of your models against the texture. Erase the edges of the images of the models with a soft brush.

It should look like this:

2. Open and paste texture 2. Now toggle the blend settings: Opacity to 50%, and to Linear Burn.

We’re going to tweak the colour settings as well. Go to Image > Adjustments > Channel Mixer and adjust these accordingly.

Output Channel (red) ? r: +100, g: 0, b: 0
                              Output Channel (green) ? r: +54, g: +140, b: -48
                              Output Channel (blue) ? r: +19, g: +98, b: +100

3. Duplicate this layer. Flip the layer vertical. (Edit > Transform > Flip vertical). Set to Divide.

You should get this:

4. Add texture 3 (postcard image). Resize if needed and place it anywhere you want. Set blending mode to Screen, Opacity 70%. Erase the hard edges with a soft brush.

5. Duplicate this layer (we want to fill the empty space a bit more) and place it where you want. I’ve flipped the image horizontal ((Edit > Transform > Flip horizontal) so that it now sits on the right side. Set blending mode to Subtract.

You should get this:

6. Add texture 4. Shift it to the bottom of the picture, so that it fills out the white bottom part a bit more. Use these settings: Opacity 90%, Pin light. The effect is very subtle so don’t be too surprised if it doesn’t come out the way you thought it would.

7. Write your text (and use the Drop Shadow blending option if you wish). The colour of my main text (‘grandeur’) is #72251a, set to blend Linear Dodge.

Voila!
                              Last edited by Ikorni; 06 November 2012, 08:12 AM.
                              Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Sidenote...Gah! Does anyone know how to get rid of the attached thumbnail? I've tried everything but nothing seems to work for my post above!
                                Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X