This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alaskannut View Post
    About the only people I've met who call it McKinley on a regular basis are tourists, anyone from Ohio, and new residents who don't know any better...we've been trying to rename it for years but the Ohio congressional delegation introduces a bill every year to keep it named McKinley. And no I haven't climbed it yet
    I learned something new today. If I ever get to Alaska, I won't make that error. I know that Denali is a difficult and dangerous mountain, but you haven't even tried a short hike?
    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng View Post
      64-bit Windows and having to run 32-bit browser to use flash? Not to mention most of your media codecs are still actually 32-bit.

I'm running 64-bit SUSE Linux and nspluginwrapper so my browser is 64-bit As are all of my media codecs. I had a bit of a pain making Rhapsody work, but that was fixed sorta easily. And wine can run most of my Windows-only games at a decent speed (and then one it doesn't support at all I got bored with months ago, anyway). My registers are bigger than yours, and I know how to use them.

*just seriously derided Nutty's geekhood*

Comment

64-bit Windows and having to run 32-bit browser to use flash? Not to mention most of your media codecs are still actually 32-bit.

I'm running 64-bit SUSE Linux and nspluginwrapper so my browser is 64-bit As are all of my media codecs. I had a bit of a pain making Rhapsody work, but that was fixed sorta easily. And wine can run most of my Windows-only games at a decent speed (and then one it doesn't support at all I got bored with months ago, anyway). My registers are bigger than yours, and I know how to use them.

*just seriously derided Nutty's geekhood*
        meh...showoff
        sigpic
        Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
        "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

meh...showoff
          Damn straight.

As soon as I get a new hard drive and more ram, I'm doing VMware to run XP for my gaming so I don't have to do funny tricks for game compatibility.

Interestingly enough, if I get a laptop, it's gonna be a Mac. I'm spreading myself across all the major OS's. I'd like to hunt down some older hardware to run BeOS just so I can say I do. Although, I haven't checked to see how the various BeOS revival projects are going, if they're even still going, so older hardware might not be necessary.
          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Damn straight.

As soon as I get a new hard drive and more ram, I'm doing VMware to run XP for my gaming so I don't have to do funny tricks for game compatibility.

Interestingly enough, if I get a laptop, it's gonna be a Mac. I'm spreading myself across all the major OS's. I'd like to hunt down some older hardware to run BeOS just so I can say I do. Although, I haven't checked to see how the various BeOS revival projects are going, if they're even still going, so older hardware might not be necessary.
            He, he, he.

Comment

Damn straight.

I freely admit that you are the bigger geek....but I'm the strategist....while you were tearing my bluff apart and showing off, free of any interference I accessed the Eternal Plothole and used its power to create an All-In-Wonder Recompiler and The Buggiest Version of Windows Vista Ever.

*recompiles self to 32 bit*

*recompiles uk to 8 bit*

*installs The Buggiest Version of Windows Vista Ever on uk's computer while he is distracted by his personal calamity*

How much RAM did you say you had?

Checkmate
              sigpic

Comment

I freely admit that you are the bigger geek....but I'm the strategist....while you were tearing my bluff apart and showing off I accessed the Eternal Plothole and used its power to create an All-In-Wonder Recompiler and The Buggiest Version of Windows Vista Ever.

*recompiles self to 32 bit*

*recompiles uk to 8 bit*

*installs The Buggiest Version of Windows Vista Ever on uk's computer while he is distracted by his personal calamity*

How much RAM did you say you had?

Checkmate
                *watches nutty work fruitlessly*

*auto-restores from backup*

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/nutty
                Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu View Post
                  I learned something new today. If I ever get to Alaska, I won't make that error. I know that Denali is a difficult and dangerous mountain, but you haven't even tried a short hike?
                  Just in case you thought I was kidding....an excerpt from www.frommers.com
                  Alaskans have long believed McKinley is an irrelevant name for the mountain, especially since it already had a name. In 1975, the state of Alaska petitioned the federal U.S. Geographic Names Board to change the name back to Denali. In 1980, Congress changed the name of the national park to Denali, but a single Congressmen from Ohio has blocked changing the name of the mountain itself. McKinley was an Ohio governor and congressman. Rep. Ralph Regula, a Republican who has represented McKinley's former seat since 1972, and even attended William McKinley Law School, found a clever maneuver to keep his name on the mountain. The names board has a policy of taking up no issue that is also being considered by Congress. Each Congress since 1977, Regula has introduced a single sentence as a budget amendment or as a stand-alone bill that states that McKinley is the mountain's permanent name. Although the bill never gets so much as a committee hearing, its existence is enough to invoke the board's policy and prevent it from considering the change.

Alaskans call the mountain Denali anyway, and haven't given up on changing its official name. Their chief hope is persistence. Regula can't stay in Congress forever.

This is largely based on an article from Alaska Magazine, July 2005, by Peter Porco.
                  sigpic

Comment

*watches nutty work fruitlessly*

*auto-restores from backup*

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/nutty
                    *Enjoys the show as uk devolves into an 8 bit induced delusional state*

Well, he is an e-friend, so it just wouldn't be proper to leave him in this state, for much longer, but do I dare recompile him? He may after all retaliate and all....decisions, decisions
                    sigpic

Comment

*Walks in* *notices this is all above his head* *leaves*

Comment

Originally posted by gatelover12 View Post
                        *Walks in* *notices this is all above his head* *leaves*
                        Hey! Get back in here!!
                        Last edited by alaskannut; 28 October 2007, 11:45 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by meimei View Post
                          I found out about RDA on the J/D thread. I've been discussing the possiblity of setting a book in Canada at a fan convention so I can justify the expense and write it off on my taxes.

A killer picking off squeeing sci-fi fans? Sound feasible? I'll need to work on the plot. *cackle*
                          Oooo! I'd buy a copy, especially if you name the brillant heroine Sela.
                          "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                          it has it's own laws and beats about things
                          which the intellect scorns."
                          - Mark Twain -

Comment

Hmmm... "Sela"... That could work. *cackle*

Comment

Blah.

Comment

Just in case you thought I was kidding....an excerpt from www.frommers.com
                                No, I agree. I always thought it was rude to change the original name of Denali Mountain, but then I come from Chicago which is the French mispronunciation for native American name for this place (smells of onions/leeks)

Comment

Working...
                                X