This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
    Apparently Emmerich and Devlin's original idea was to do a trilogy and they want to revisit that idea, so it's likely to be three films if the project is greenlit.

I want to give them a chance - their original ideas could have been very interesting. I mean, the idea of the Stargate was fantastic in of itself. However, I am majorly salty that it'll retcon out everything that we have come to know and love that is Stargate.

I'm just head-canoning it as an Alternate Reality where nothing in our reality happened. I do hope they don't just remake the original film. There really needs to be some new ideas in there. We already have Jack and Daniel's story so I hope they make new characters.
    Considering Stargate's laws of time travel, we left the true original Stargate behind long, long ago. We're onto universe 3 or 4 now. I don't even think there's a single original left.

However, i think the question is legitimate: will the first movie just re-do the original or will we see a completely new trilogy?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      Or they gonna go all New ghost busters on us and make them all gals...
      I am absolutely looking forward to the new Ghostbusters. Melissa McCarthy - awesome woman!

Originally posted by Britta View Post
      That's a strange typo. I could have sworn it was spelled "Caitlyn".
      Yeah, that's what I thought too. Must have missed the memo.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So an all male team isn't sexist, but an all female team must be affirmative action? Females make up about half of the world's population.
        When Ghostbusters was initially made, the # of female comedians was few and far between. Male ones, a lot more.
        Same with the initial SG film.. It was made in a time, while women were IN the mil and inc their numbers, they still had plenty of roles they were not able to be.. such as special forces (Which is what Jack is!)..
        So based on the time frame, yes an all guy group is seen as ok, while just making them all female, "cause we can" is imo pandering to "Girl power"..

That's a strange typo. I could have sworn it was spelled "Caitlyn".
        Is his/its/her DNA now XX vice XY? Then i care not what IT says its name is/sex is, its still a guy imo.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        I am absolutely looking forward to the new Ghostbusters. Melissa McCarthy - awesome woman!
        Maybe its me, but i just cant stand Mccarthy. Just like i never used to like Rosie O'donnell, and rosanne barr.

Comment

Is his/its/her DNA now XX vice XY? Then i care not what IT says its name is/sex is, its still a guy imo.
          Something Caitlyn has no say over sadly.

Maybe its me, but i just cant stand Mccarthy. Just like i never used to like Rosie O'donnell, and rosanne barr.
          Rosanne Barr rings a bell in the distance. Don't know Rosie, but have loved McCarthy since the Gilmore Girls.

Comment

Something Caitlyn has no say over sadly.

Rosanne Barr rings a bell in the distance. Don't know Rosie, but have loved McCarthy since the Gilmore Girls.
            Famous female comedian. Had a successful sitcom in the 90s with John Goodman. She is a pretty big homosexual rights advocate.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Had a successful sitcom in the 90s with John Goodman.
              Wait, that I remember. Probably watched a handful of episodes...

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Famous female comedian. Had a successful sitcom in the 90s with John Goodman. She is a pretty big homosexual rights advocate.
                And also scratched her croch while butchering the national anthem at a ball game..

Comment

So this transformed from the SG reboot thread to the Ghostbusters reboot thread? Who knew?
                  sigpic

Comment

One of those things that could obviously go either way. From the original move came a very successful T.V series, that formed a brilliant fan base and will always be remembered as one of the stand out Sci-Fi shows.

In my opinion if this was to be at least a half decent 'revival' as such, then I think it has to go back to the roots of the series and possibly have at least 2/3 cameo roles from the likes of RDA/AT/CJ/MS etc, I think MS probably has a strong case for being in it, possibly CJ as well if they are (i'm assuming) going to have Goa'uld in.

It will be interesting to see if anything about the plot is leaked in the mean time, should make for some interesting speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
                      One of those things that could obviously go either way. From the original move came a very successful T.V series, that formed a brilliant fan base and will always be remembered as one of the stand out Sci-Fi shows.
                      Stargate isn't as well known as you may believe. It may have been succesfull butit certainly doesn't have the same status as Trek or Wars. Not by a long shot.

Comment

Stargate isn't as well known as you may believe. It may have been succesfull butit certainly doesn't have the same status as Trek or Wars. Not by a long shot.

Obviously not on that scale, but I think if you were to look at the more 'cult' status of the show, it would be up there. To be honest (this may just be more with people i know rather than a generalization), I grew up with Star Trek etc, but if you ask some of the younger sci fi fans what were some of their favorite sci fi shows growing up, more of them would name Stargate than Star Trek simply because the action etc involved in it was more 'with the times', and is a lot more recent.

It's similar to saying, what do you remember more, Stargate SG1, or Star Trek: Enterprise?

Obviously as you said, as a whole then Star Trek/Star Wars are obviously much,much bigger, but I think Stargate is still well up there with a fan base.

Comment

I'm afraid the younger people I know will answer Trek, not Gate. Oh sure, people recognize the gate well enough but beyond that... it's sketchy at best.

Comment

I'm afraid the younger people I know will answer Trek, not Gate. Oh sure, people recognize the gate well enough but beyond that... it's sketchy at best.
                            I'd still say it's one of those movies that can come out and not be oblivious though, obviously it won't bring the attention as a Trek movie probably would, but I still think it would bring in a decent showing of people who followed the series, which is really the best they can hope for, and then hope that the reviews are good enough to bring in people who are curious about it, but within that, as we both probably agree that Stargate has a "select?" (lack of a better word, and other than cult lol) fanbase, I think the important in that is to have some original characters in. I think if was an entirely new cast with no sign of any of the series cast at all, I think that's probably one of the worst ways to start with a reboot like this.

Comment

Originally posted by StevenSG1 View Post
                              Obviously not on that scale, but I think if you were to look at the more 'cult' status of the show, it would be up there. To be honest (this may just be more with people i know rather than a generalization), I grew up with Star Trek etc, but if you ask some of the younger sci fi fans what were some of their favorite sci fi shows growing up, more of them would name Stargate than Star Trek simply because the action etc involved in it was more 'with the times', and is a lot more recent.

It's similar to saying, what do you remember more, Stargate SG1, or Star Trek: Enterprise?

Obviously as you said, as a whole then Star Trek/Star Wars are obviously much,much bigger, but I think Stargate is still well up there with a fan base.
                              How many gate focused cons have there been compared to say trek or Star wars??

Comment

I think stargate's in a rather weird spot of being actually pretty damn big, yet relatively unknown. I'm actually seeing Stargate references in other movies and such now, which is a big deal more than a decade ago. I think we need to be at least a decade away from SGU before we can be in proper nostalgia-fuelled love for Stargate. I mean, look at Trek and Wars. How long has pure undiluted nostalgia kept that alive?

Lastly, if you say Trek, i bet that most people will name JJ abraham's reboots rather than anything of the "original".

In my opinion if this was to be at least a half decent 'revival' as such, then I think it has to go back to the roots of the series and possibly have at least 2/3 cameo roles from the likes of RDA/AT/CJ/MS etc, I think MS probably has a strong case for being in it, possibly CJ as well if they are (i'm assuming) going to have Goa'uld in.
                                Yea i don't think this is going to happen. i don't think ANY stargate actor will feature in it. we've yet to see if it's going to include the original movie at all, because times have changed. Especially Independence Day will make it hard for Emmerich to make a movie that won't have people wondering if they just sat through an ID prequel.

Lastly, i don't think they're going to drill at any existing stargate audience, but rather completely aim at Mainstream audiences

Comment

Working...
                                X