This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
    Im hoping for an ID2 crash and burn so MGM cancels ID3 and they at least reconsider Devlin/Emmerich as running the Stargate reboot.
    Well that's a bit drastic

Please get Neill Blomkamp and see what happens. He knows how to give us flawed characters in exceptional circumstances. Sharlto Copley as Jack O'Neill... it would be something special thats for sure.
    Interestingly Blomkamp is credited for SG1 (as an animator). Elysium was conceptually good but had too many flaws. District 9's only flaw is that it has no sequel so far. I must also add that i love his visual style.

So yea, it would be an interesting take on Stargate.

Comment

Ha, i see he immigrated to Canada in 1997. Graduated in 3Dfx in '98 in Vancouver and his first credited 3d job was on SG1.

Give him the job already.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        Well that's a bit drastic

Interestingly Blomkamp is credited for SG1 (as an animator). Elysium was conceptually good but had too many flaws. District 9's only flaw is that it has no sequel so far. I must also add that i love his visual style.

So yea, it would be an interesting take on Stargate.
        I agree. Visually Elysium was stunning, but the characters left something to be desired, which was disappointing because having Matt Damon in a SciFi was pretty exciting. I couldn't stand Jodi Foster and her weird accent. Blomkamp sometimes seems too preoccupied with making sociopolitical statements in his movies, rather than just making good movies. It might be noble, but if it's at the expense of the film itself then the statement doesn't matter. The only filmmaker I believe does that well is Edward Zwick, but he doesn't do science fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
          I agree. Visually Elysium was stunning, but the characters left something to be desired, which was disappointing because having Matt Damon in a SciFi was pretty exciting. I couldn't stand Jodi Foster and her weird accent. Blomkamp sometimes seems too preoccupied with making sociopolitical statements in his movies, rather than just making good movies. It might be noble, but if it's at the expense of the film itself then the statement doesn't matter. The only filmmaker I believe does that well is Edward Zwick, but he doesn't do science fiction.
          True. Elysium felt as if the script had been written by ~5 different people and nobody bothered to check if it all fit together. Individually the pieces are great, and many aspects of the movie are great. It's just that it has quite a few holes in it that make no sense if you think about it.

District 9 was distinctly better and more coherent. I haven't seen chappie. Anyway, his take on Stargate is something that would definitely be an interesting thing to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
            IMO that was the biggest fault with BOTH Elysium and District 9.. Heck, even chappie imo got a little ruined by the sociopolitical touchy feelyness..

Comment

Im hoping for an ID2 crash and burn so MGM cancels ID3 and they at least reconsider Devlin/Emmerich as running the Stargate reboot.

Please get Neill Blomkamp and see what happens. He knows how to give us flawed characters in exceptional circumstances. Sharlto Copley as Jack O'Neill... it would be something special thats for sure.
              If they cancel ID3 because ID2 is so unbelievably bad then they'll just cancel Stargate too. It would be considered too much of a risk to make a new Stargate because anything even remotely connected to a toxic director becomes toxic too.. Look at how people react to any project that has even the slightest hint of a Michael Bay connection...

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                Look at how people react to any project that has even the slightest hint of a Michael Bay connection...
                By throwing billions at him?

Just wanted to post this link about Stargate and the movie reboot:

http://io9.com/stargate-didnt-become...-on-1721946910

Comment

By throwing billions at him?
                  No by calling all his films just big explosions after bigger explosions.. No substance.

Comment

Just wanted to post this link about Stargate and the movie reboot:

http://io9.com/stargate-didnt-become...-on-1721946910
                    Had to comment on this on its own.. I loved ALL the aspects this writer hit, but really wished he had not left out SGU.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      No by calling all his films just big explosions after bigger explosions.. No substance.
                      Yet they make billions.
                      Had to comment on this on its own.. I loved ALL the aspects this writer hit, but really wished he had not left out SGU.
                      Well it's 2 seasons versus 2 movies and 15 seasons. can't blame him.

Comment

I hope that reboot of the Stargate will be very interesting for SG fans and will have SG canon.

How many SG movies they are will do?
                        sigpic

Comment

Apparently Emmerich and Devlin's original idea was to do a trilogy and they want to revisit that idea, so it's likely to be three films if the project is greenlit.

I want to give them a chance - their original ideas could have been very interesting. I mean, the idea of the Stargate was fantastic in of itself. However, I am majorly salty that it'll retcon out everything that we have come to know and love that is Stargate.

I'm just head-canoning it as an Alternate Reality where nothing in our reality happened. I do hope they don't just remake the original film. There really needs to be some new ideas in there. We already have Jack and Daniel's story so I hope they make new characters.

Comment

IMO, Stargate evolved from the original movie premise far too much to ignore in the reboot. But it seem DevEm want to revisit their vision of the story. Which means they're most certainly not the right people for the job, from our point of view, well at least mine.

But its a product. You can make it for everyone and make huge money one time. Or target a smaller market and milk it for a decade.

MGM will decide whats better for them, unfortunately i don't think its whats best for the fans.

PS. dont say whats best is more stargate, i know that, but at what price.

Comment

Wonders, are they going to keep the 2 iconic rolls the same.. A strong male lead for Oneill, and a campy but smart nerd for Jackson..
                              Or they gonna go all New ghost busters on us and make them all gals...or worse.. Bruce jenner wanna bees!

Comment

Or they gonna go all New ghost busters on us and make them all gals
                                So an all male team isn't sexist, but an all female team must be affirmative action? Females make up about half of the world's population.

...or worse.. Bruce jenner wanna bees!
                                That's a strange typo. I could have sworn it was spelled "Caitlyn".

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Working...
                                X