Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been a long time since I posted, in all honesty since SGU I have barely been here.

Loved Stargate but wasn't impressed with the path it was taking, I still feel the show producers were becoming too arrogant when they started saying that the show could be bigger than Startrek.

They were very arrogant when they tried to change the tone of the show too much for SGU, just like what happened to Enterprise.

For a reboot I think this is the only way Stargate is going to continue and can work. They showed this with the reboot of Startrek and now there is talk of other reboots of Sci-Fi shows. To be honest it doesn't matter too much who is writing the show at the end of the day it really either be a Cinema release or straight to DVD. Straight to DVD has 1% hope of success and Cinema release increases chances of a future with Stargate.

It's such a shame the show changed its tone with SGU - I was impressed with the episode quality but with a serious lack of in depth story in each episode it felt like I was watching Stargate: Eastenders (dallas, Home and Away, Coronation Street - insert any term you want). I know what they was trying to do with the show, essentially an extended version of Battlestar Galactica but even that show gave us more story over 2 Years compared to SGU. That show didn't have the budget either compared to SGU... had better actors as well..

This may not be a popular post but if there is a future to StarGate we can scrap the idea of going back to SGU because it cost too much and its gains wasn't good enough.

Comment

I still don't know what to think about an SG reboot. There is still little to no information on what is going to happen in the reboot. However, being an SG fan, I will go see the new movie when it gets made. I will try to keep an open mind, but I hope they don't go on the same track as the beginning of SGU. SGU did turn itself around mid-first season and definitely in the second season!
      sigpic

Comment

Why! Stargate is Jack O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, Samantha Carter, Teal'c and George Hammond with secondary characters Walter Harriman and Janet Fraiser. Those are the main characters and those are the ones that need to be front and centre of any reboot.

You can reboot Stargate. But you need to include the characters into it. Not just O'Neil and Daniel Jackson.

Comment

I have to say I have very little interest or enthusiasm for the Stargate reboot, I liked the universe created by SG-1 and Atlantis and while I liked the original film I can't say I loved it, added to that Devlin and Emmerich aren't my favourite movie makers and the new Independence Day film sounds....atrocious and I really worry about how poor the reboot could be....which really would finish the Stargate franchise for good.

Comment

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
            Why!
            money

Originally posted by actuallyliam View Post
            You can reboot Stargate. But you need to include the characters into it. Not just O'Neil and Daniel Jackson.
            We have absolutely no idea what the story is of the new movie, nor any idea of the characters or actors involved. It may be more show-oriented than we think. It may be only loosely tied to the original with a very different story. Considering the stuff Emmerich still has to do before Stargate, it may be another 2-4 years before we'll see even a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
              I still don't know what to think about an SG reboot. There is still little to no information on what is going to happen in the reboot. However, being an SG fan, I will go see the new movie when it gets made. I will try to keep an open mind, but I hope they don't go on the same track as the beginning of SGU. SGU did turn itself around mid-first season and definitely in the second season!
              Until i see previews of it, i will hold all judgement. I hate that they would effectively be ignoring ALL that has gone on before, much like the new Starwars film is ignoring ALL the novels (Which imo if it was not for them keeping people interested IN Starwars we would most likely imo have not gotten Ep1-3, and now EP7).

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                Until i see previews of it, i will hold all judgement. I hate that they would effectively be ignoring ALL that has gone on before, much like the new Starwars film is ignoring ALL the novels (Which imo if it was not for them keeping people interested IN Starwars we would most likely imo have not gotten Ep1-3, and now EP7).
                I think they'll pull a Marvel and just mine the now non-canon Expanded Universe for ideas. If they ever make Legacy into a movie, i'll squeal, even if by that time i'm 40.

Comment

That's the thing with a reboot! They can ignore what happened before. That's why I don't know if I'll like what I see. I recently went to see the Poltergeist movie. I was a BIG fan of the 1982 movie when I was a kid. However, the 2015 version fell short. Now, a reboot I did like was the Star Trek reboot. It just feels right.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm very excited for this. I hope it does not disappoint like so many other reboots.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      I think they'll pull a Marvel and just mine the now non-canon Expanded Universe for ideas. If they ever make Legacy into a movie, i'll squeal, even if by that time i'm 40.
                      Which is why over on 2 of my SW sites, a lot of us SW fans are irked all to heck.

Comment

I think they may have already done just that. Rey and Kylo Ren could be Jaina and Jacen Solo renamed.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                          Well, while I'm probably the worlds biggest opponent to Roland Emmerich's work (I think the guy is an abortion of a director) and Devlin wouldn't no good entertainment if it fell on him from a 12th story window, I will hold on to hope that the reboot will be mildly faithful to the franchise. Even though Emmerich and Devlin seem to have all but emphatically stated to the contrary.

Piggybacking on the Star Wars thought, I'm nervous that Emmerich's film will go the route of The Phantom Menace. Critically a failure, commercially successful only because we all went to see it at least once out of curiosity. That box office revenue then leads to sequels because it appears as the film was a success on it's own merits.

If they're going to pull a Marvel I hope they conceptualize it similarly too, since the MCU films turn out to be pretty well-crafted for the most part. Hell, I wouldn't mind if MGM sold the rights to Marvel, maybe then we could get rid of Emmerich and Devlin and make the films properly.

Comment

If MGM sold the rights to Stargate to another studio, it could be a mistake not unlike the one Marvel made when they sold away the rights to Spiderman, The X-Men, and Fantastic Four. More likely is they co finance films in cooperation with other studios, yet retain the rights.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
                              I think they may have already done just that. Rey and Kylo Ren could be Jaina and Jacen Solo renamed.
                              Well, it doesn't have to be a bad thing. If i read what half the original MCU storylines were about, i cringe so hard it hurts. The movies seem to do a much better job at selling a proper story. Still, i want Star Wars to answer some hard questions about the force that bug me endlessly, like what exactly makes the force have a "light" and "dark" side. Not to mention the dark side working automatically. Does good intent count? do evil thoughts count? etc etc etc. Legacy dealt with some of them (e.g imposing your will on the force is the Sith way). I would love a Star Wars: legacy with Cade Skywalker (finally remembered his name)

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                              WI will hold on to hope that the reboot will be mildly faithful to the franchise. Even though Emmerich and Devlin seem to have all but emphatically stated to the contrary.

If they're going to pull a Marvel I hope they conceptualize it similarly too, since the MCU films turn out to be pretty well-crafted for the most part. Hell, I wouldn't mind if MGM sold the rights to Marvel, maybe then we could get rid of Emmerich and Devlin and make the films properly.
                              Tot the first part: I think the reboot will be a completely new thing only barely reminiscent of the original movie too. Considering that Independence Day is basically a sequel to stargate, i think he may need to rewrite a good portion of the original just to not make it feel like a movie piggybacking ID. But i'm rather apathetic to the whole thing. First we'll need to wait some 2 years before we'll even start to see a glimpse of what he's planned.

to the second part: I don't know how they did it, but the MCU is something Marvel planned, planned carefully and very well. DC seems to be only barely copying the system and seems to be failing a lot harder at it. Interestingly, Stargate (TV) played an important role in paving the way for such giant franchise machines.

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
                              If MGM sold the rights to Stargate to another studio, it could be a mistake not unlike the one Marvel made when they sold away the rights to Spiderman, The X-Men, and Fantastic Four. More likely is they co finance films in cooperation with other studios, yet retain the rights.
                              Just because it is a mistake now (e.g. MCU) doesn't mean it was a mistake back then. They sold that stuff for a reason.

Comment

Im hoping for an ID2 crash and burn so MGM cancels ID3 and they at least reconsider Devlin/Emmerich as running the Stargate reboot.

Please get Neill Blomkamp and see what happens. He knows how to give us flawed characters in exceptional circumstances. Sharlto Copley as Jack O'Neill... it would be something special thats for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X