This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teal'c
    Well it's your own fault for going into the episode with that view. You knew it was Felger, you should have already seen The Other Guys, how were you not expecting comedy.
    Maybe I *was* expecting (some) comedy. But comedy is funny, and Avenger wasn't. In TOG he was a fool, but an almost-believable one. In Avenger he was an insult to the inteligence. I was expecting a Sam-ep, but Sam had less screentime than Felger, and what she did have was mostly Felger-support-stuff, not Sam-stuff.

Originally posted by Teal'c
    Bull! Unless you had read spoilers previously, there's no way you knew it was a drill, I can't see how.
    Are you calling me a liar? Not advisable, I bite . It's so long since I saw it that I can't remember what gave it away, I only remember that both Mr W and I knew it was a drill before they even got to the SGC. And I was spoilerfree back in them days.

Originally posted by teal'c
    Say what you will, I loved the announcers. You are aware that they were meant to be cheesy, for comic purposes.
    No, I'm not aware that they were meant to be cheesy for comic purposes. Were they comic at all? Comic is usually funny. Cheesy is just... cheese. The only time I ever watched American sports-announcers they were just like that in their manner, their tone, their delivery and the types of things they said. So I assumed they were just a straight copy of American TV.

But, in the spirit of compromise, I ought to admit that Space Race is *not* a failure if watched in the company of a remote-control. The announcers magically disappear!

Madeleine

Comment

I thought that Avenger was terrible, one of the view episodes i've ever struggled to keep watching. It just wasn't funny, the ending was rushed and the main focus of the episode was on characters which I don't like. "The other guys" planted my hatred for them a long time ago and this episode just enforced that.

Comment

I'm going to go back a bit and say One False Step. Interesting premise (and one that has not been addressed anywhere near adequately) on the dangers of disease transmission through the gate, some actual science, aliens who did not speak English (or anything else). It had the potential to be good, but just didn't work for me in the finished version. Might have been the zippers that got to me .

Comment

Avenger was a downer for me too - for much of the same reasons that Madeleine mentioned. About three quarters of the way through I found that I couldn't stop myself from feeling really really annoyed at the buffoonery way they were treating what was an incredibly dire situation.

At that point the thought 'hey, now if it was Mackay...' popped into my head. Mackay slid so easily into the episode, that I immediately stopped seeing Felger, and only 'saw' Mackay, and have only seen 'mackay' since!

One other episode that just fell flat, and one that I'd really really been looking forward to, was Enemy Mine. The first half was great but the second half just fell apart. Let's just get Tealc to stand around for no reason. We've got Chaka here, but let's ignore him and get Daniel to sort it all out. And while we're about it let's have some more of the stereotypical and hackneyed army types. Oh should we have an ending now? Yawn, I'm tired, we'd better finish it off...

I think that if Dion Johnston had been Chaka that would have been enough to have redeemed the episode for me, despite the way they treated Tealc in it. Kudos to Michael, he worked really hard with what he'd been given.
          sigpic

Comment

episode that disappointed me the most had to be enemy mine in season 7.
            mainly because i usually love unas episodes and i usually love peter deluise episodes. i think i built it up waaayy too much and was just very much let down.
            death knell wasn't quite what i expected but i still very much enjoyed it and it gets more enjoyable on repeat viewings, but enemy mine still leaves me kind of empty

Comment

Originally posted by san
              Spoiler space for S7 Heroes Part 2
              * please remember to include spoiler space when not in season specific threads

The only episode this season that fail to my expectations was Heroes. I like the episode, way much more then some of the others, but I was looking for more. Specially Janet’s death, it was there right to do what they wanted with the character, but for such a dear one, her death was pointless, they could have use any other character. And, in a episode where you’re saying goodbye to a very strong secondary character, they didn’t give us very much off her.

san
              spoiler space for season 7 "Heros 1&2"
              -
              -
              -
              -
              -
              -
              -
              -
              -
              How can you say her death was pointless? she sacrificed her life doing what she did, saving someone elses life. Janet was never afraid to risk herself to save someones life. She went into a heavy combat zone, unarmed, with no care for herself only to save the soldier. She made the ultimate sacrifice for someone else and you call that pointless? I find that a beautiful and tragic scene that perfectly summed up the character. Caring, loving, healer, with so much compassion that she takes a staff blast to the chest to save someones life. There is no better way they could have had Janet be killed because it was the ultimate expression of the character

Comment

The worst stargate episode for me was Bane... I pretend that particular episode never happened. I couldn't believe that it was a Stargate episode and not something from one of those 1950's scifi shows. I seriously would like to know what was going through the writer's head as he wrote that episode. Maybe a brain lapse...who knows!!

Ace
                "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

I was disgusted with Avenger 2.0. I loved Felger in The Other Guys and was really looking forward to seeing him again, but they made it all so STUPID. They made Felger even stupider and more buffoonish than ever before- to the point where I questioned how the hell they could ever let him on the base in the first place- and the seriousness of the basic plot was at complete odds with Felger's behavior and general attitude. I mean, I'm all for comic moments off-setting serious drama, but there was no blending of the two elements in this ep. It made it look clunky and awkward. It destroyed the drama of the ep and played it for laughs instead. It made me hate Felger, and I resent that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I was disgusted with Avenger 2.0. I loved Felger in The Other Guys and was really looking forward to seeing him again, but they made it all so STUPID. They made Felger even stupider and more buffoonish than ever before- to the point where I questioned how the hell they could ever let him on the base in the first place- and the seriousness of the basic plot was at complete odds with Felger's behavior and general attitude. I mean, I'm all for comic moments off-setting serious drama, but there was no blending of the two elements in this ep. It made it look clunky and awkward. It destroyed the drama of the ep and played it for laughs instead. It made me hate Felger, and I resent that.
                    yeah avenger 2.0 was really dissapointing especially because with how idiotic they made felger i really wanted to see carter just belt him one and tell him to grow up and act like a scientist but she didnt.....

Comment

Grace, because...

I wanted some real action, not a 5sec scene.

Comment

spoiler space for season 7 "Heros 1&2"
                        -
                        -
                        -
                        -
                        -
                        -
                        -
                        -
                        -
                        How can you say her death was pointless? she sacrificed her life doing what she did, saving someone elses life. Janet was never afraid to risk herself to save someones life. She went into a heavy combat zone, unarmed, with no care for herself only to save the soldier. She made the ultimate sacrifice for someone else and you call that pointless? I find that a beautiful and tragic scene that perfectly summed up the character. Caring, loving, healer, with so much compassion that she takes a staff blast to the chest to save someones life. There is no better way they could have had Janet be killed because it was the ultimate expression of the character
                        SPOILER FOR HEROES 2 - SEASON 7
                        I'm sorry, but i didn't see Janet doing any doctor thing, she was holding the serum bag while daniel filme and give support.
                        In fact the main reason of that scene was Daniel filming that soldier and yes latter Janets Death. But what she was doing during that scene was not a job of a doctor, but of a nurse, hell even Daniel could have been ding that!
                        I don't contest the fact that, yes she went to a danger situation to help save lifes, but the moment she die, she wasn't doing that and the job that she was doing could have been done with any other person.
                        And frankly, i don't see the SGC sending is main Medical to a combact zone.
                        i would have found it much more intense, if that was a case of foothold and she was kill on the base trying to save someone againts a enemie within the SGC.

San

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                          The worst stargate episode for me was Bane... I pretend that particular episode never happened. I couldn't believe that it was a Stargate episode and not something from one of those 1950's scifi shows. I seriously would like to know what was going through the writer's head as he wrote that episode. Maybe a brain lapse...who knows!!

Ace
                          Got to say I agree with you there, it was just like some big ol' cliché. It's definitely my least favourite ep even if Harry is in it!

Sis

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W

Grace failed for me because I was hoping for some deep insight into Sam's character, or maybe some thrilling Sam-in-peril stuff, or at least a decent
                            who-are-the-aliens mystery. Instead, I got 'Sam isn't happy, she needs a
                            man to be happy', and 'Sam thinks she'd give up the career that has been
                            her life's focus if only Jack said the word'. Which kind of put the lid on the
                            well-adjusted, secure, self-confident and happy person I'd always seen in
                            Sam.
                            I agree totally with you, here. Sam is my favourite character and I felt the writers made a bad job of this episode, and also Chimera. These episodes basically say that she needs a man to make her life complete, whereas the strong woman we see in earlier episodes would never behave like this.
                            sigpic

Comment

Chimera for me as it had lots of potential for a good episode for Daniel but they made it into a Carter 'Love Life' episode. For me the ending just made it 100 times worse

Comment

Originally posted by san
                                SPOILER FOR HEROES 2 - SEASON 7
                                I'm sorry, but i didn't see Janet doing any doctor thing, she was holding the serum bag while daniel filme and give support.
                                In fact the main reason of that scene was Daniel filming that soldier and yes latter Janets Death. But what she was doing during that scene was not a job of a doctor, but of a nurse, hell even Daniel could have been ding that!
                                I don't contest the fact that, yes she went to a danger situation to help save lifes, but the moment she die, she wasn't doing that and the job that she was doing could have been done with any other person.
                                And frankly, i don't see the SGC sending is main Medical to a combact zone.
                                i would have found it much more intense, if that was a case of foothold and she was kill on the base trying to save someone againts a enemie within the SGC.

San
                                What are you talking about? Daniel was holding the bag, Janet was trying to stabilise him. A staff blast is very serious, not something a medic could handle just like that, they needed Janet (Or any other of the bases doctors, but Janet was on call) to keep him alive and well enough to be moved, or may even had to operate (or whatever you do for a staff blast) there and then.

Comment

Working...
                                X