This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic, but related...

Have you thought about what will be required of the students in terms of mid-term and final exams?

I took a course where the Instructor gave us 20-25 questions and told us that 4 of them would make up the mid-term. We were to research and answer the questions in advance and then on the day of the exam, walk in and answer the actual 4. The point was for us to become so familar with the subject matter that we could discuss it off the top of our head.

The FINAL exam was a bit easier, she gave the actual 4 questions and did the same.

In both instances, we could not walk in with anything other than our pens and blue-books. The other thing was that her expectations of our answers were higher since we had the opportunity to research them in advance. Also, the questions were such that EACH question easily had at least 1 page or more of writting required to answer them. (Almost like comps...)

Oh and you'll want to include Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) From Star Trek:Voyager. The producers introduced her specifically to go after a decided male population - namely teenage boys.
    Last edited by chyron; 06 October 2005, 07:59 PM.
    "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Okay, sorry for the long delay. School has been busy, busy. I've read everybody's comments, and rest assured I'm taking thorough notes on all of them.

Doc Fraiser is not yet out of the final list, but her chances are not good. I'm sorry, but the major mark against her has little to do with her character, and more to do with my limited time contraint. Having to allocate class time so judiciously, I'm focusing on other more prominant Sci-fi figures, and under my own personal yard stick (because as much as I would like to remain neutrally objective the majority of the time, some issues *are* going to be determined by my own preferences), I think Teyla has more to offer to this class than Doc Fraiser. So, Carterslave, while I thoroughly appreciate your imput, I'm inclined to stick to the core four of Sam, Weir, Vala, and Teyla. Still, it ain't over until I've signed off on the final syllabus come December. People can be advocates for Fraiser as much as they want. Even if she doesn't make the cut for my class, I'm sure it'll make interesting conversation for this thread!

Wikeja - I've actually never seen 'The Lost World,' so without further research, I couldn't talk about it (or the female in it) with any sort of intelligence. But it's made my list for research, so thanks for that!!!

Purpleyin, your suggestion of 'Lost' is one of the few that caught me off-guard!!! I so overlooked that one, and it's one of those TV shows that I cannot believe I missed! I would love to put them in, but only if we have time. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion. (Side Note: Xkawaiix, thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind!)

Chyron - EXAMS???? That would defeat the purpose of a decal!!! Seriously, I don't think I've ever heard of a decal class that makes exams mandatory. For my class, it's going to be lenient. At Berkeley, you got enough hard-core classes. The decals are suppose to be fun and enjoyable and, yes, one of the classes you DO NOT have to worry about during Finals Week. To pass most decal classes, all you need is strong attendance, participation in discussion, and a paper due at the end of the semester. My class will be no different. A six page paper, about anything relating to Sci-fi Women, is due on the last day of class. Topics are self-chosen (with approval by me or my co-instructor).

As for my earlier question, “Do you like the women of Stargate because we can identify with them, or because they represent the best of ourselves?” I should have phrased it better so that it addressed both male and female readers. That was my mistake, and Wikeja, thanks for bringing it to my attention. The answers were very interesting, and all this talk about double-standards and how women are often more critical of other women is actually going strait into my curriculum!

Yay for good discussion! Keep it up!

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
      I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
      Spoiler:
      Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

Just something odd to contemplate.
        In the original BSG, the shallow womanizer was named Starbuck. The name was a play on words. Spaceman + male animal driven by base desires.
        In the new BSG, Starbuck is a female which is odd on its own. She does seem somewhat masculine and irreverent and confused.
        Also, I find her quite unattractive. Not to say she isn't pretty. She just oozes too much testosterone I guess.
        Not meaning to piss anyone off. She is an interesting character and I like the new BSG. Just wanted to offer my obs.

Comment

Originally posted by wikeja
          Just something odd to contemplate.
          In the original BSG, the shallow womanizer was named Starbuck. The name was a play on words. Spaceman + male animal driven by base desires.
          In the new BSG, Starbuck is a female which is odd on its own. She does seem somewhat masculine and irreverent and confused.
          Also, I find her quite unattractive. Not to say she isn't pretty. She just oozes too much testosterone I guess.
          Not meaning to piss anyone off. She is an interesting character and I like the new BSG. Just wanted to offer my obs.
          i quite like this element. how often do you see real tomboy on a tv show. and i'm not talking about the ugly kid with braces type of character. i mean a grown up woman, who's tough as nails, has an attitude but is still likeable and all womanly to boot.

i was very intrigued to see who they had cast as starbuck and how she'd play it. i was very torn with the whole, starbuck-as-a-woman thing. on one side i thought it was a great idea, but on the other i couldn't help but wonder how they would achieve this, as the first starbuck was very much a mans man.

its also worth noting similar issues with boomer, who is also female in the new BSG. and considerably more feminine than starbuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler84
            Chyron - EXAMS???? That would defeat the purpose of a decal!!! Seriously, I don't think I've ever heard of a decal class that makes exams mandatory. For my class, it's going to be lenient. At Berkeley, you got enough hard-core classes. The decals are suppose to be fun and enjoyable and, yes, one of the classes you DO NOT have to worry about during Finals Week. To pass most decal classes, all you need is strong attendance, participation in discussion, and a paper due at the end of the semester. My class will be no different. A six page paper, about anything relating to Sci-fi Women, is due on the last day of class. Topics are self-chosen (with approval by me or my co-instructor).
            Oh pardon me, forgot that BERKELEY was on the liberal side of things

As to the question, I think that I'm neutral as to the question. I tend to like or dislike the characters (male or female) based on what they do and/or how they act. I personally liked Vala in the first episode that she appeared in, but I'm not entirely like her in the first part of Season 8. Less is more. Its the actress, since I did like her in Farscape. Another example, is that I just can't stand RODNEY McKAY on SGA. I never liked him when he appeared on SG1 and just hate him on SGA. However, his destroying 3/4 of a galaxy - pardon my 5/6ths since its not an exact science - won him some points. (For the line that is, you'd have to see to understand how funny of a line it is)
            "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Originally posted by wikeja
              Example: Picture: A well known female actress (statuesque) dressed in a baggy jumpsuit.

Possible female interpretation: Admired for attempting a role using parsonality and charisma rather than depending on physical attributes to carry the scene.

Possible male interpretation: I know she's hot so why is she covering her body? She must be hiding something.
              Well, I can't say about the male interpretation. But unless the actress is working out or jogging or just got out of bed, the most likely female interpretation is that she looks like a slob. Women are far more harsh judges of each others' clothing, makeup, and hair than men are. The whole thing about women supposedly dressing to look good for a man is mostly garbage, as most men don't really have a clue about women's clothing. And most women know it. In my experience, most women are far more concerned with what other women will think about their experience than what guys will think.
              My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
              -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
              -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
              -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                The whole thing about women supposedly dressing to look good for a man is mostly garbage, as most men don't really have a clue about women's clothing.
                I don't notice a woman because she's wearing a Versace. I don't even know what a Versace would look like, but I do know that its the woman who makes the dress. A man who is a man appreciates when a woman makes herself beautiful for him, not out of turning her into a thing or diminish her, but because he knows that is a privledge to gaze upon beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
                  I don't notice a woman because she's wearing a Versace. I don't even know what a Versace would look like, but I do know that its the woman who makes the dress. A man who is a man appreciates when a woman makes herself beautiful for him, not out of turning her into a thing or diminish her, but because he knows that is a privledge to gaze upon beauty.
                  Exactly my point. But you said it so much more elegantly
                  My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
                  -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
                  -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
                  -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice Otter
                    Well, I can't say about the male interpretation. But unless the actress is working out or jogging or just got out of bed, the most likely female interpretation is that she looks like a slob. Women are far more harsh judges of each others' clothing, makeup, and hair than men are. The whole thing about women supposedly dressing to look good for a man is mostly garbage, as most men don't really have a clue about women's clothing. And most women know it. In my experience, most women are far more concerned with what other women will think about their experience than what guys will think.
                    I agree with this whole statement. Women do hold each other to very high standards. Most men I find don't care about a little extra weight, perfect nails, fashionable outfit; they're looking for that something special in a woman. I get irritated sometimes when I hear women complain about how advertising isn't representative of them, i.e. the models are too thin, etc. I can't think of an incident where my husband or former boyfriends or male friends have said "Why don't you look more like her?" It is usually "I want to look like her." When I was younger, I did run into that shallowness from younger and less worldly men, however.
                    Also, since my older son has started school, I find myself observing other mothers giving long looks or making catty comments about each others' appearances. I agree that women dress up for other women. At a recent PTA meeting I saw several women checking each other out. I've made this statement in another thread, but I wonder if women will ever began to celebrate each other rather than judge each other.
                    Last edited by majortrip; 08 October 2005, 07:25 AM.
                    Sig by Camy

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice Otter
                      Exactly my point. But you said it so much more elegantly
                      I try.

Comment

Originally posted by majortrip
                        I agree with this whole statement. Women do hold each other to very high standards. Most men I find don't care about a little extra weight, perfect nails, fashionable outfit; they're looking for that something special in a woman. I get irritated sometimes when I hear women complain about how advertising isn't representative of them, i.e. the models are too thin, etc. I can't think of an incident where my husband or former boyfriends or male friends have said "Why don't you look more like her?" It is usually "I want to look like her." When I was younger, I did run into that shallowness from younger and less worldly men, however.
                        Also, since my older son has started school, I find myself observing other mothers giving long looks or making catty comments about each others' appearances. I agree that women dress up for other women. At a recent PTA meeting I saw several women checking each other out. I've made this statement in another thread, but I wonder if women will ever began to celebrate each other rather than judge each other.
                        Its the woman who knows that shes a woman that a man is most attracted to. The type of woman who walks into a room and immediately everyone notices her not because of how she's dressed or how she looks or what she says, but simply because of her shear force of presence coming for the knowledge of who she is and what she is (in terms of a being).

Comment

Originally posted by Whistler84

Doc Fraiser is not yet out of the final list, but her chances are not good. I'm sorry, but the major mark against her has little to do with her character, and more to do with my limited time contraint.
                          In defense of a few moments of class time for Doc Fraiser, she is one of the few continuing characters in the SG-universe and sci-fi in general that has portrayed in any way as a woman character also mixing her job with motherhood. Scifi does provide a lot of strong female characters, but few are also moms. Some notable exceptions are Aeryn Sun in Peacekeeper Wars and the recurring character of Keiko O'Brian in Star Trek: DS9. Motherhood seems to be one of the primary real world aspects of feminity that sci-fi doesn't seem to know how to write or include in meaningful storylines. That fact, in and of itself, is a topic worthy of discussion!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAscended
                            In defense of a few moments of class time for Doc Fraiser, she is one of the few continuing characters in the SG-universe and sci-fi in general that has portrayed in any way as a woman character also mixing her job with motherhood. Scifi does provide a lot of strong female characters, but few are also moms. Some notable exceptions are Aeryn Sun in Peacekeeper Wars and the recurring character of Keiko O'Brian in Star Trek: DS9. Motherhood seems to be one of the primary real world aspects of feminity that sci-fi doesn't seem to know how to write or include in meaningful storylines. That fact, in and of itself, is a topic worthy of discussion!
                            Huh . . . Good point. Never thought about it that way.

Wanna sig? Ask me. I'll probably make you one.
                            I would also like it noted that in The Long Goodbye,
                            Spoiler:
                            Weir asked John to be her husband, and he said yes!! HA!!! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
                              Its the woman who knows that shes a woman that a man is most attracted to. The type of woman who walks into a room and immediately everyone notices her not because of how she's dressed or how she looks or what she says, but simply because of her shear force of presence coming for the knowledge of who she is and what she is (in terms of a being).
                              See, that's the something special I was talking about. Lots of men can see it, even when a woman can't. I doubt most women sit and reflect on what makes them special or unique. Lots of women get caught up in other people's perceptions about them or about women in general and then seek approval through external (appearance) means. The knowledge and self-respect for who and what a woman is doesn't come easily for lots of women. I'm not quite sure of the source of the criticism; there are probably many, real or percieved. However, I'm of the general opinion that everyone should spend some quality time alone with themselves and suss these things out. But, also, I watch a lot of Oprah.
                              Sig by Camy

Comment

Originally posted by NotAscended
                                Actually it isn't so much motherhood as it is parenthood. Yes there have been parent-child relationships portrayed, but none of them have dealt with the challenges of being a parent. (Including Beverly Cursher and her snot nozed son.)

Comment

Working...
                                X