No announcement yet.

'Phenomenon' Teaser On-Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weee!!! looks great!! can't wait for the whole thing btw, do i get to discuss WHUMPERS, then, when i do mine???

Comment

WOW, looks amazing. Did somebody drop the F-word? Free?

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
        Just watched the teaser...nicely done

And wow, there has been a huge improvement in the camera work too...have you been studying?
        As a matter of fact I've been taking college cources to this end, yes, but the main thing about all the footage [so far] made for the documentary is that the camera is locked down the entire time -- no handheld shots, so naturally it's going to look better. I did not have this advantage with the other documentaries seen thus far.

The framing is a whole lot better than anything you've put up before (much more professional feel to it...more balance and depth) and I think the audio quality has improved too...were you using the camera mike or did you attach some kind of unidirectional??
        I woke up one morning and got on-line with Darren with the words "OK, from now on in we're shooting in 16:9 for all video documentaries." He didn't argue with me, and since then ALL of us have been utterly blown away with what the widescreen brings visually to the videos. Now there are foreground and background options that make the composition far more aesthetically pleasing. More to come with this .

The camera is a Sony DiVicam, but I don't want to give away the specifics on it right now. Eventually, though. And I used lapel mics on all of the participants.

And was that lighting set up on David Nykl intentional or just the way the venue was on the day??
        David very kindly put time aside for us in the Dealer's Room. There was a lovely lighted plant in the corner that made for a much better background than a blank wall. I also had the ability to adjust the falloff on David's face with the curtains, allowing me to select just how much light I wanted into the composition. It really turned out well. More to come from David Nykl ...

And what kind of camera did you use? Manual or automatic focus??
        Automatic all the way. Unless there is something particularly unusual I'm doing with the thing I'll switch over, but until then I'll check both inputs and if they look clean I'll start. It's touch-and-go with these guys because they have plenty of other more important things to be doing then to be bothered by us -- unless we've met at a remote location specifically for this sort of thing, like with Courtenay J. Stevens, Tom McBeath, and one or two of the folks you saw in this teaser.

Oh and what kind of length are you aiming for for the finished product?
        Two hours, give or take a few minutes. Ultimately it will come down to how much footage I get. I don't intend to leave out much.

Lots of questions, sorry (studying to become a documentary-maker & writing my second ever doco and pitching a third so the uni will let me run away with their equipment hehe)
        Not at all. I appreciate your interest and kind words!!
        Last edited by David; 30 April 2005, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
          I'm one of those people that has a Mac (*takes up defensive stance* ), and for some reason Windows Media Player doesn't work on my comp and WinAmp is just for Windows. So, is there any chance for a Quicktime version, or is there another program I can download that would work on a Mac?
          The morning after I first put it to the Web I tried to watch it on a couple of my school's Macs and they played on all of them. Hope it finally played for you.
          Last edited by David; 30 April 2005, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Wow, loved the clip, it's a tribute to Stargate ad all of us that love Stargate and made by a Stargate lover, it will be amazing, can't wait for December.

Proud Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
            Interviews with The O'Neills: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8, Part 9, Part 10
            Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild

Comment

Originally posted by Hex.FTB.enabled
              I'm one of those people that has a Mac (*takes up defensive stance* ), and for some reason Windows Media Player doesn't work on my comp and WinAmp is just for Windows. So, is there any chance for a Quicktime version, or is there another program I can download that would work on a Mac?
              Hex, if you're using OS X like me, Windows Media Player 9.0 works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                Get Winamp. Kicks the crap out of Windows media player, and it'll play those .wmv files just fine
                Indeed Winamp is awhole lot better but not any option for linux/mac people who are usually the ones who get stuck with wmv's, like below...
                Originally posted by Hex.FTB.Enabled
                For Mac's Mplayer or VLC both play wmv's. Same for Linux users but then I wouldn't expect to need to tell them so. Generally VLC plays nearly anything in my experience but Mplayer is a tad friendlier. I'm also told you can get Win Media Player for Mac but as if I'd ever recommend that...

VLC homepage
                http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

MPlayer homepage
                http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/news.html

Comment

Originally posted by David
                  As a matter of fact I've been taking college cources to this end, yes, but the main thing about all the footage [so far] made for the documentary is that the camera is locked down the entire time -- no handheld shots, so naturally it's going to look better. I did not have this advantage with the other documentaries seen thus far.

I woke up one morning and got on-line with Darren with the words "OK, from now on in we're shooting in 16:9 for all video documentaries." He didn't argue with me, and since then ALL of us have been utterly blown away with what the widescreen brings visually to the videos. Now there are foreground and background options that make the composition far more aesthetically pleasing. More to come with this .
                  Oh definitely...16:9 is the way to go. Makes framing a whole lot easier. I've always preferred the widescreen format...anything else feels 'boxed in' to me.

The camera is a Sony DiVicam, but I don't want to give away the specifics on it right now. Eventually, though. And I used lapel mics on all of the participants.
                  Wow, I knew you were being secretive...

Or are you worried someone might be tempted to steal it if you advertise it too much heh?

David very kindly put time aside for us in the Dealer's Room. There was a lovely lighted plant in the corner that made for a much better background than a blank wall. I also had the ability to adjust the falloff on David's face with the curtains, allowing me to select just how much light I wanted into the composition. It really turned out well. More to come from David Nykl ...
                  It looked really interesting, and much less 'flat' than what you often see in interviews.

Love David Nykl so can't wait for more from him!

Automatic all the way. Unless there is something particularly unusual I'm doing with the thing I'll switch over, but until then I'll check both inputs and if they look clean I'll start. It's touch-and-go with these guys because they have plenty of other more important things to be doing then to be bothered by us -- unless we've met at a remote location specifically for this sort of thing, like with Courtenay J. Stevens, Tom McBeath, and one or two of the folks you saw in this teaser.
                  Yes well definite time saver there. For me it depends what camera I'm using.

If I'm using the uni HDV Cameras , I use manual focus and iris control, but if i'm using your average DV camcorder, then automatic all the way.

Not at all. I appreciate your interest and kind words!!
                  You're very welcome.

I'm obsessed with all things film & tv at the moment so I'm almost as interested in your working process as I am in the interviews themselves.

Comment

The links don't work anymore . Is it because of the server problems a few days ago or did you take the files down yourself?
                    No, 'Eureka' is Greek for 'This bath is too hot.'

"Because only an extremely deranged individual would think of doing what we're doing."
                    (LOST producer Damon Lindelof, May 2007)

Comment

Yep, the teaser got the kebash (sp?) when our former host yanked the plug out of the wall (in the words of Elaine, "Like yer startin' a mower"). David will reupload the file when he gets the chance.
                      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

The teaser trailers have been reinstalled on the site and their links have been updated!

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                          Wow, I knew you were being secretive...

Or are you worried someone might be tempted to steal it if you advertise it too much heh?
                          Actually the camera is pretty small and wimpy

Comment

1. Does anyone feel like the sounds and the actor's lips aren't matching up in the begining? It feels like that to me.

2. David....The Truman Show song?! lol. Good choice in music, although I felt it was a bit longer than needed.

Great trailer overall man. A little simplistic (due to time constraints no doubt) but great overall. I hope to see the rest.

One question, who were those four girls at the hotel that you interviewed?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                              The Truman Show song?! lol. Good choice in music, although I felt it was a bit longer than needed.
                              No music was used from the Truman Show.

Great trailer overall man. A little simplistic (due to time constraints no doubt) but great overall. I hope to see the rest.
                              It's simple not only because it's just to tease you but it's also only 10% shot. I still have to make a voyage to Vancouver and Los Angeles.

One question, who were those four girls at the hotel that you interviewed?
                              Inflatable Women For Any Occasion. Over on Ebay, I believe, though they may have sold out. Hurry over.

Comment

Inflatable Women For Any Occasion. Over on Ebay, I believe, though they may have sold out. Hurry over.
                                Inflatable Women, huh????
                                No snurching any Pictures I post!! (without my permission)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X