No announcement yet.

could Earth adapt Traveler's energy weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tau'ri are new to deep space ship construction and exploration.
    In just 7 years we've commissioned 2 classes of space fairing ships one of which we haven't reused since the first and only one of it's kinds destruction happening.

As others have said on this forum regarding a ship type's design, they're designed for a particular job and it just so happens that the Prometheus and the 304s were designed to be multi-functional.
    I'm sure if the situation warranted it then the IOA would commission a new class of smaller ship, but I guess they or more so the writers just don't feel we need a smaller ship at this time.

The 304s design has been used what 4 times? so it may be time to make something new, perhaps we can expect a completely new class of Tau'ri ship in either the Atlantis movie, the next SG1 film or Universe and who knows maybe TPTB are lying about a new ship being in Enemy At The Gate, I guess anything's possible.

Comment

it will take years before the writers even Think about the possibility of a 305

Comment

The first 304 was mentioned about 2 years after the Prometheus was introduced it's since been about 5 years since we've heard about some new class of ship so we may see a new ship in the not too distant future.

Comment

I hope that we may get a new main capital ship along with a smaller design-that would shut me up

Comment

Its easier to build 304's. They do the job. Building a bigger ship in secret may not be possible. Smaller ships could be an option though, dedicated warships to stay in Pegasus. Strip down everything everything not needed for combat including the 302 bays, hopefully they can significantly reduce the shize without sacrificing power and shield strength. We then send them to Pegasus to deal with threats etc...They should be comparatible to our 304's but smaller and faster to produce.
            Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
              Its easier to build 304's. They do the job. Building a bigger ship in secret may not be possible. Smaller ships could be an option though, dedicated warships to stay in Pegasus. Strip down everything everything not needed for combat including the 302 bays, hopefully they can significantly reduce the shize without sacrificing power and shield strength. We then send them to Pegasus to deal with threats etc...They should be comparatible to our 304's but smaller and faster to produce.
              Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!

Now that is what I'm talking about-rip off the 302 bays

Comment

I posted on another thread about Atlantis having some ship construction/repair facilities surrounding it on the ocean's surface, each with their own shield emitters, or even a phase cloak so that we can build a fair sized fleet of smaller ships and do hit and run missions in the Pegasus galaxy.
                Shrinking the ships down to say a fifth of the size of a 304 you could probably keep much of the shield strength and necessary features of those vessels, but as they'd be smaller they'd have much more maneuverability, could fly rings around Hives and Cruisers.
                They wouldn't even have to have the APBWs, just some decent energy cannons like those on the Asgard's ships, with rail guns and missiles for a back-up weapon, I'm sure they could do a lot of damage to Hives.

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                  I posted on another thread about Atlantis having some ship construction/repair facilities surrounding it on the ocean's surface, each with their own shield emitters, or even a phase cloak so that we can build a fair sized fleet of smaller ships and do hit and run missions in the Pegasus galaxy.
                  Shrinking the ships down to say a fifth of the size of a 304 you could probably keep much of the shield strength and necessary features of those vessels, but as they'd be smaller they'd have much more maneuverability, could fly rings around Hives and Cruisers.
                  They wouldn't even have to have the APBWs, just some decent energy cannons like those on the Asgard's ships, with rail guns and missiles for a back-up weapon, I'm sure they could do a lot of damage to Hives.
                  If the ship was a fifth of the size it would probably lose power generating capacity plus a lot of other things. I doubt a ship that small could take on a Hive ship.
                  Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

I myself was hoping for something around the 150m-200m mark as a General Purpose vessel. BC-304s are around 400m long so a 80-100m long ship would not have power levels anywhere near a 304.

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                      I myself was hoping for something around the 150m-200m mark as a General Purpose vessel. BC-304s are around 400m long so a 80-100m long ship would not have power levels anywhere near a 304.
                      Actually 304's are supposed to be at least 550m, that is based on several people's scalings. But yeah a 100m vessel will not have power levels great enough to take on a Hive ship maybe not even a cruiser.

Comment

Let alone that it would be unable to carry much weaponry and more than likely no Asgard weapons. 550m-The Goa'ld Ha'tak is supposed to be 700mish long yet in the encounter with the Lucian Alliance vs Baal Oddessy was around half the lengh of said Ha'tak motherships in every shot.

Comment

Let alone that it would be unable to carry much weaponry and more than likely no Asgard weapons. 550m-The Goa'ld Ha'tak is supposed to be 700mish long yet in the encounter with the Lucian Alliance vs Baal Oddessy was around half the lengh of said Ha'tak motherships in every shot.
                          And the 304's were bigger than Ha'taks in Camelot and Flesh and blood.

If you look at the size of Ha'taks they have a diameter of 700+m so they are a lot bigger because of width and height. If you compared just the diameter to the length of a 304 it wouldn't be twice as much.

Comment

If the ship was a fifth of the size it would probably lose power generating capacity plus a lot of other things. I doubt a ship that small could take on a Hive ship.
                            It's never actually been shown how much space the generators take up on board a 304.
                            Taking away the 302 bays and many of the crew quarters you could probably shrink the size of each ship down by a lot.
                            Also remember if the ship is smaller you don't really need as much power for the shields as there's less of an area to cover for defense.

As far as fire power goes with a smaller ship you could get even closer to a Hive and do some real close in damage targeting critical systems more accurately.

Comment

In Camolet the Asgard Oniell was about the same size as the Korolev???????? You know everyone thinks that the scene where the 304 opens up with its forward railguns after Emerson gives the order to open fire on the Ori that that ship is Oddessy but we saw the Korolev come out of hyperspace and asume a position on the Oddessy's starboard side, whivh makes it the Korolev opening fire first. I reckon that the Oddessy vs 3 LA Ha'taks vs Baal showed a better size comparison.

Comment

The beams are clearly not the best in 4 galaxies...over 2 shots to take down a Wraith cruiser, compare this to 1 shot skewering a Hive ship (it looked like it could take down 3 in row).

The Asgard would never be able to beat the Wraith. Not enough numbers.

Why build Traveler energy weapons when we have the Asgard beams which are far more powerful? If we want weapons able to cover more firing arc's use Asgard pulse weapons or try and make some Ancient ones.
                                I was pretending the asgard beams had never been invented.......*hands over eyes*

I reckon that we should replace the main railguns with Traveler cannons

4-6 Asgard Plasma Beam Weapons (Heavy's)
                                4 odd Traveler Cannons (Mediums)
                                However many railguns (Point Defence)
                                Loose some of the missile tubes (Remote weapons)

What are the missile batteries now that we have energy weapons????
                                The Traveler cannons would be a great addition cuz they would back-up the Beam weapons(Look how they failed the Daedy when it attacked Michaels ship and then the Pheonix) They would propably be a helluva lot easier to repair too!!!
                                True. Look how often the beam weapons are going offline......

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                                The Travelers weapons didn't seem to be that effective in BAMSR, The Lost Tribe's small ship shields probably weren't all that strong, I bet with one APBW shot we could take 'em out, probably even with missiles and rail guns.
                                What? in BAMSR, the traveller ships were putting some serious hurt on the Asurans. I rember seeing at least 2 blow up to traveller weapons....

How do you know the Prometheus and Korolev wouldn't have survived for decades had they not be destroyed?

Also what is the point in buying the blue prints of the ships if we're going to replace all the technology! We'd probably have to redesign sections of the ship to accomodate new technology anyway. The idea is pointless. We could easily build Prometheus style ships and add new tech onto it.
                                I refer you to the P-51 mustang. Crappy, crappy fighters. Then we (UK) gave it the merlin engine and it got good.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                it will take years before the writers even Think about the possibility of a 305
                                sigpic
                                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X